These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Performance question: Will Eve run 2 clients smoothly on a HP Envy DV7?

Author
Gibbah
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-05-31 09:21:36 UTC
Im thinking on getting a HP Envy DV7 laptop.
Will I be able to dual-box 2 clients on it smoothly?

Specs:

17,3 inc h Full-HD-screen
Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM 2,40 GHz
16GB RAM 1333MHz
GeForce GT 650M 2GB
1GB SATA 5400rpm

FlamesOfHeaven
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2013-05-31 09:34:45 UTC
With everything maxed? Should be able to. Even my laptop with lower specs can run both clients with max settings minus the shadow and post processing.

But thats really depends on what you are doing in EvE. :)
PaperTiger
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2013-05-31 09:49:49 UTC
I have an older version of the dv7 (i5 processor, 6GB ram, GT630M gfx) and I can run two clients with near max settings. I suspect you will have much better results.
Tyrell Cadabra
Brave Newbies Inc.
Brave Collective
#4 - 2013-05-31 09:52:47 UTC
It's a laptop right? I would not bother to be honest. Always something.
Lord LazyGhost
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2013-05-31 10:13:15 UTC
Gibbah wrote:

Specs:

16GB RAM 1333MHz
GeForce GT 650M 2GB
1GB SATA 5400rpm

yes yes it will mate

iam running a dv7 with a gt 630 and it runs 3 accounts just fine :)
Lost True
Perkone
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-05-31 10:14:28 UTC
Gibbah wrote:

Specs:

16GB RAM 1333MHz
GeForce GT 650M 2GB
1GB SATA 5400rpm

Of course, maxxed and maybe even more than 2.

2 windows with maximum settings worked fine for me a few years ago with a weaker laptop - HP Pavilion dv7 2130.

in 2007 i've thought it's a sci-fi simulator, not an "e-sports" game. I'm not a teenager, how would i like it much?

dexington
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-05-31 10:52:49 UTC
Lost True wrote:
2 windows with maximum settings worked fine for me a few years ago with a weaker laptop - HP Pavilion dv7 2130.

a few years ago was before incarna, captain’s quarters and a massive increase in hardware requirements.

I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.

Gibbah
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#8 - 2013-05-31 11:05:23 UTC
Thanks guys. It seems I can safely buy it then Big smile
Wacktopia
Fleet-Up.com
Keep It Simple Software Group
#9 - 2013-05-31 11:58:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Wacktopia
Gibbah wrote:

1GB SATA 5400rpm

I'd rip that out and upgrade it to something faster. Laptops often get lumbered with slow HDDs because the headline stats are often RAM/CPU/capacity when comparing them. I have found that during large fights or grid-loads it really hits performance if you have a slow disk.

5400 is at the bottom end of the scale. If you can afford it and plan on playing EVE a lot on your laptop I would consider upgrading it to the max speed. Better still, you could consider an SSD, which is even better but more expensive.

Changing a laptop hard disk is fairly cheap and easy so long as you are careful and have the media to install your OS + drivers etc. Tip: Download required drivers from the manufacturer and put them on a USB stick before putting the new disk in.

Kitchen sink? Seriousy, get your ship together -  Fleet-Up.com

Gus Huntah
Doomheim
#10 - 2013-05-31 12:08:54 UTC
Don't by a laptop now, new Intel Haswell chipsets around the corner!
Ultim8Evil
Exit-Strategy
Unchained Alliance
#11 - 2013-05-31 13:11:47 UTC
Tyrell Cadabra wrote:
It's a laptop right? I would not bother to be honest. Always something.

My Core i7, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD7970M, Sandisk 240GB SSD powered laptop says otherwise, tbh.

I ran out of accounts before I ran out of clients I can load.

Follow me on Twitter for literally no good reason @TheUltim8Evil

Gibbah
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-05-31 13:35:19 UTC
Gus Huntah wrote:

For some time ago I promised my self to stop playing the waiting game for upcoming techs. I used to do that a lot but it allways made me end up with no toys to play with, just waiting.Sad And Ive learned over the years that the next gen is allmost allways not THAT much better as you would hoped it to be. But many thanks for the heads up. Big smile
Ultim8Evil
Exit-Strategy
Unchained Alliance
#13 - 2013-05-31 13:38:28 UTC
Gibbah wrote:
Gus Huntah wrote:

For some time ago I promised my self to stop playing the waiting game for upcoming techs. I used to do that a lot but it allways made me end up with no toys to play with, just waiting.Sad And Ive learned over the years that the next gen is allmost allways not THAT much better as you would hoped it to be. But many thanks for the heads up. Big smile

I think he means current tech will be cheaper.

An example being how Sandy Bridge prices dropped when Ivy Bridge came out.

Follow me on Twitter for literally no good reason @TheUltim8Evil

Gibbah
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#14 - 2013-05-31 13:38:41 UTC
Wacktopia wrote:
Gibbah wrote:

1GB SATA 5400rpm

I'd rip that out and upgrade it to something faster. Laptops often get lumbered with slow HDDs because the headline stats are often RAM/CPU/capacity when comparing them. I have found that during large fights or grid-loads it really hits performance if you have a slow disk.

5400 is at the bottom end of the scale. If you can afford it and plan on playing EVE a lot on your laptop I would consider upgrading it to the max speed. Better still, you could consider an SSD, which is even better but more expensive.

Changing a laptop hard disk is fairly cheap and easy so long as you are careful and have the media to install your OS + drivers etc. Tip: Download required drivers from the manufacturer and put them on a USB stick before putting the new disk in.

Yeah, I will probably upgrade to a SSD in the near future. I have never tried one yet, but I have heard it makes wonders on the performance.
brinelan
#15 - 2013-05-31 14:43:01 UTC
Gibbah wrote:

Yeah, I will probably upgrade to a SSD in the near future. I have never tried one yet, but I have heard it makes wonders on the performance.

I run ssd's and it is a night and day difference, definitely worth the money. newegg has sales in their newsletter on them pretty often.
Lost True
Perkone
Caldari State
#16 - 2013-05-31 14:47:17 UTC
dexington wrote:
Lost True wrote:

a few years ago was before incarna, captain’s quarters and a massive increase in hardware requirements.

The only significant increase in hardware requirements is some of the missile explosions. Those are too heavy for this laptop with the maximum zoom for some reason.

As much as i like the incarna idea, want wis, and sitting in CQ sometimes... I don't see a reason to use it instead of ship hangar with multiple windows. And when there will be a reason to walk around the station, this laptop will be on the junkyard already, because it'll be somewhere close to the second decade anniversary.

in 2007 i've thought it's a sci-fi simulator, not an "e-sports" game. I'm not a teenager, how would i like it much?

Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2013-05-31 14:50:47 UTC
I am going to come out and just say yes. My system is a bit better than that but I run 4 clients at once with no issues on full graphics settings. Only one way to find out for sure though.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821