These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Details and update on the Ice Anomaly design

First post First post
Author
El 1974
Green Visstick High
#321 - 2013-05-29 15:45:09 UTC
Danni stark wrote:
El 1974 wrote:
I like your thinking. It's flawed, but entertaining.

do be a good fellow and point out why.

It's more complicated than that. And no I don't care enough to try to explain it.
EvilweaselSA
GoonCorp
Goonswarm Federation
#322 - 2013-05-29 16:04:21 UTC
El 1974 wrote:
Danni stark wrote:
El 1974 wrote:
I like your thinking. It's flawed, but entertaining.

do be a good fellow and point out why.

It's more complicated than that. And no I don't care enough to try to explain it.

i am sure your gambit to seem like a very wise person indicating the correct answer instead of a twit that doesn't know anything trying to attack a point he doesn't like but can't argue against has managed to convince a single reader, because i am an incurable optimist
Danni stark
#323 - 2013-05-29 17:06:08 UTC
does this mean i can carry on in blissful ignorance?
Lyza Kimbo
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#324 - 2013-05-30 16:42:50 UTC
Danni stark wrote:
when resources are finite, harvesting speed has nothing to do with it's supply and hence it's price.

if it did; ice would have dropped like a stone instead of spiking.

I kinda see what 1974 means, and I'm not sure I have the skills to articulate it, but here goes.

What you say above is a little garbled, but I think what you meant was -

"When available resources are finite, and demand exceeds those available resources, and the available rate of resource-gathering is already more than sufficient to gather those limited resources far faster than they become available, then the ability to gather resources even faster will not affect the price, because the price is fixed by the relationship between demand and available supply."

This is intended to be a fully amplified and expanded version of what you originally said, as best I understand it. And in fact, the second clause, ("and demand exceeds those available resources"), may not even be strictly necessary.

Basically, 1974 was nitpicking because you'd stated a limited version which, while true in this context, might not have been true in every situation.

Woof, that was a mouthful...
Danni stark
#325 - 2013-05-30 19:02:30 UTC
Lyza Kimbo wrote:
Danni stark wrote:
when resources are finite, harvesting speed has nothing to do with it's supply and hence it's price.

if it did; ice would have dropped like a stone instead of spiking.

I kinda see what 1974 means, and I'm not sure I have the skills to articulate it, but here goes.

What you say above is a little garbled, but I think what you meant was -

"When available resources are finite, and demand exceeds those available resources, and the available rate of resource-gathering is already more than sufficient to gather those limited resources far faster than they become available, then the ability to gather resources even faster will not affect the price, because the price is fixed by the relationship between demand and available supply."

This is intended to be a fully amplified and expanded version of what you originally said, as best I understand it. And in fact, the second clause, ("and demand exceeds those available resources"), may not even be strictly necessary.

Basically, 1974 was nitpicking because you'd stated a limited version which, while true in this context, might not have been true in every situation.

Woof, that was a mouthful...

so... i was right all along?
El 1974
Green Visstick High
#326 - 2013-05-30 22:00:42 UTC
Ok. I'll throw some text at you just to try to show you how it is a bit more complicated.

The first thing where your statement was oversimplified concerns the available resources and supply.
You should realize that the available supply depends on how many times ice anomalies get cycled each day. In theory (with sufficient harvesting speed), ice anomalies can be mined 6 times a day. That means that in theory hisec can supply 96% of all ice where it currently supplies only 94%. So even though there is a finite resource per day (it is a renewable resource), that does not automaticly mean that there is insufficient supply to meet demand. In fact there already is a finite amount of ice available in Eve, but only a small fraction of all of this is extracted.

The problem is that in Eve not all those available resources are extracted. Available resources are irrelevant when players choose not to extract them. I think the correct economic term for this is 'Economically available suypply'. In my opinion harvesting speed is a relevant factor in this economically available supply and therefore has an effect on pricing.

Another complication is that how much ice is extracted depends on what players do. Harvesting speed and price are both variables that motivate players (isk/hr), but what will happen with Odyssey cannot be predicted. Nobody (incl CCP) knows how much ice will be extracted after Odyssey. (Someone might even be crazy enough to grab a destroyer and shoot some ice miners.)

Furthermore you should realize is that you focuss too much on hisec. Some ice will be mined outside hisec. As a result pricing may be affected by what happens outside hisec.
Danni stark
#327 - 2013-05-30 22:20:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Danni stark
and pretty much none of what you just wrote has anything to do with cycle times.
you have an opinion that it does, but that's it. you didn't provide any evidence to support that opinion.

on the contrary, if an ice anomaly produces 12500 units of ice a day, cycle time doesn't change that and hence that actually does support the assumption that cycle time is as relevant to price as a chocolate pudding is to a badger.
Lyza Kimbo
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#328 - 2013-05-31 01:00:40 UTC
El 1974 wrote:
Ok. I'll throw some text at you just to try to show you how it is a bit more complicated.

The first thing where your statement was oversimplified concerns the available resources and supply.
You should realize that the available supply depends on how many times ice anomalies get cycled each day. In theory (with sufficient harvesting speed), ice anomalies can be mined 6 times a day.

Not really. With a 4-hour respawn delay, there's room for six of those yeah. But you haven't allowed any time for the actual mining. Even if you only allow 12-15 minutes for a horde of raging ice miners to slag down 2500 blocks of ice, there's not room for six complete cycles in a day. I'm nitpicking a bit here, but I think the difference is significant. In truth, I imagine five or maybe five-and-a-half cycles a day is far more realistic.

El 1974 wrote:

That means that in theory hisec can supply 96% of all ice where it currently supplies only 94%.

Ah, pardon my skepticism, but do you have some numbers to back that up?

El 1974 wrote:

So even though there is a finite resource per day (it is a renewable resource), that does not automaticly mean that there is insufficient supply to meet demand. In fact there already is a finite amount of ice available in Eve, but only a small fraction of all of this is extracted.

That depends on your definition of "available"

El 1974 wrote:

The problem is that in Eve not all those available resources are extracted. Available resources are irrelevant when players choose not to extract them. I think the correct economic term for this is 'Economically available suypply'. In my opinion harvesting speed is a relevant factor in this economically available supply and therefore has an effect on pricing.

When everybody gets an across-the-board doubling of ice harvesting speed, there is no competitive advantage to anyone. The one situation I can think of in which your assertion might be true would be ninja ice mining. The ability to get in, **** the ice belt twice as fast, and GTFO will make a difference. But is ninja ice mining even viable?

El 1974 wrote:

Another complication is that how much ice is extracted depends on what players do. Harvesting speed and price are both variables that motivate players (isk/hr), but what will happen with Odyssey cannot be predicted. Nobody (incl CCP) knows how much ice will be extracted after Odyssey. (Someone might even be crazy enough to grab a destroyer and shoot some ice miners.)

Furthermore you should realize is that you focuss too much on hisec. Some ice will be mined outside hisec. As a result pricing may be affected by what happens outside hisec.

Facetious comments aside, you're absolutely correct in saying that none of us know for sure WTF is going to happen.

"You focus too much on hi-sec" is a personal opinion. The rest of this is a truism. "Some ice will be mined outside hi-sec", egad! What a blindingly brilliant observation! I mean, really. Did you figure that out all by yourself, or did the co-pilot help? :)

dreadshane
Hell or HiWater
#329 - 2013-05-31 15:21:13 UTC  |  Edited by: dreadshane
Look I think you're making this much harder then it has to be. Just have Ice spon in mission belts, vary the size to the mission lvl. Do this in all systems, not just the standard ice systems. It just seems simpler then all this other stuff

The more I think about this, the better it sounds. You could do this with alot of the other resourses, It would sure make Bot/gankers life harder. It would end the reset race that goes on right after downtime, that makes being a partime player not even want to bother trying to scan.

Maybe its time we looked passed our own pockets, and do something that would be better for the game as a whole.
El 1974
Green Visstick High
#330 - 2013-06-04 20:16:36 UTC
Danni stark wrote:
El 1974 wrote:
Danni stark wrote:
largely irrelevant. ice mining is still more accommodating to the afk playstyle than ore ever will.

The difference between being "more accomadating to the afk playstyle than ore" and "you can go afk until your cargo is full" can be measured in quite a few miner accounts that will lapse.

but as i just demonstrated by basic mathematics, you can do that.

let me do it again just so you're clear.
high sec ice asteroid, ~150 units of ice, that's 150000m3 of ice.
mackinaw's ore bay, 35000m3.

150000 > 35000. as such, you can go afk until your cargo is full, just like you can now. except, only for half as long, but you can still do it.

Could you please demonstrate how this works in an ice anomaly, I can't seem to do it. Somehow the anomaly is empty before my cargo is full.
Dave Stark
#331 - 2013-06-04 21:24:45 UTC
El 1974 wrote:
Could you please demonstrate how this works in an ice anomaly, I can't seem to do it. Somehow the anomaly is empty before my cargo is full.

works exactly the same as it did pre patch, darlin'.
marVLs
#332 - 2013-06-05 11:30:22 UTC
CCP Fozzie please tell something about systems that have more than one Ice belt before Odyssey. Are now every system that have Ice belt is limited to only one? Because from many hours i don't se other belts respawning in system that have before 3 Ice belts Ugh
Dave Stark
#333 - 2013-06-05 11:38:36 UTC
marVLs wrote:
CCP Fozzie please tell something about systems that have more than one Ice belt before Odyssey. Are now every system that have Ice belt is limited to only one? Because from many hours i don't se other belts respawning in system that have before 3 Ice belts Ugh

systems with multiple belts have multiple anoms.
marVLs
#334 - 2013-06-05 11:45:24 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
marVLs wrote:

So there's a bug in system "Talidal" should be 3 ice belts respawning, but only 1 respawn normal (checking since Odyssey launch)
Dave Stark
#335 - 2013-06-05 11:55:50 UTC
marVLs wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
marVLs wrote:

So there's a bug in system "Talidal" should be 3 ice belts respawning, but only 1 respawn normal (checking since Odyssey launch)

they respawn 4 hours after being completely emptied, there's no reason for them all to be spawned at once.
marVLs
#336 - 2013-06-05 14:02:22 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
they respawn 4 hours after being completely emptied, there's no reason for them all to be spawned at once.

I know but the problem is there's only one respawning.
Ice belt showing => mined => 4h break => show again => mined => 4h break and so on... Other 2 belts ain't showing at all.
Udonor
Doomheim
#337 - 2013-06-05 14:32:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Udonor
Changes to favor null ice mining based on risk -- ROFLMAO!

Except everyone knows the ice belt risk in null sec is much lower than in low sec -- because of sovereignty and big alliances wrapping a good portion its defending fleet around those systems. Getting into ice system deep in interior of alliance space is quite a challenge except as very small covert squad...a squad often with not long to live if uncloaking to attack.

Only danger comes when an attacking alliance threatens to conquer that null ice system...normally a pretty rare occasion though motivation is up with new ice system changes.

No the correct answer is ..

#1 put MORE of ice into lo sec systems because Lo sec favors no alliance or corp.

Set up for more and larger fleet battles over scarce resources.

#2 Consider setting ice anomalies free to spawn in ANY system of same faction and security type. Thus offsetting much of the advantages of large corps and alliances in blockading ice systems in lo sec.

Shocked Finding an ice anomaly in a system takes more than 10 seconds. So its easy to scout out with enough scouts.

Yes the increased roam traffic looking for ice is a positive thing. Especially in low and null that likely means an increase of 5-10 times in small scale PVP (1-4 ships per side).

If you don't want to leave initial ice finds to individual corps-- CCP can set up ICE broker agents. ICE Brokers could pay explorers a reward for reporting ice finds, track amounts remaining and report locations EVEwide for a small fee.
Dave Stark
#338 - 2013-06-05 14:48:04 UTC
marVLs wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

I know but the problem is there's only one respawning.
Ice belt showing => mined => 4h break => show again => mined => 4h break and so on... Other 2 belts ain't showing at all.

*shrug* it's working fine where i am.
Dave Stark
#339 - 2013-06-05 14:48:51 UTC
Udonor wrote:
Changes to favor null ice mining based on risk -- ROFLMAO!

Except everyone knows the ice belt risk in null sec is much lower than in low sec

yep because that level of safety is completely free, right?
CCP Fozzie
C C P
C C P Alliance
#340 - 2013-06-05 15:01:34 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Fozzie
marVLs wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
marVLs wrote:

The highsec Amarrian systems that had multiple belts all have one version of the anoms, all other systems that had multiple belts have multiple anoms. (And a few highsec systems actually have more anoms than they had belts, as part of the balancing between volumes of racial ice available in highsec).

Sorry, I've realized I wasn't clear about that when I was discussing the changes to Amarrian highsec ice.

Game Designer | Team Five-0

Twitter: @CCP_Fozzie
Twitch chat: ccp_fozzie