These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Odyssey - auto probe recall is for softies

First post
Author
Zen Dad
Solitary Sad Bastard In Space
#1 - 2013-05-28 10:27:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Zen Dad
CoolIf i don't wail about the new hacking mini game anymore , can the Dev who decided to make all scanner probes automatically retract on entering station or leaving system please provide an override button?

1. Forgetting your probes is like forgetting your ammo, a vital module or turning up at your delivery station with an empty cargo hold -you slap your forehead and feel rightly humbled by your own stupidity. No need to nanny new players - just train forehead slapping to level V as usual

2. Leaving probes out whilst you change ships or systems can be a neat tactic when hunting under certain conditions. Auto probe recall will nerf some more solo PVP opportunities. Not going into more detail

This feature is nannying and nerfing - at least design in an override button please .
Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#2 - 2013-05-28 10:33:46 UTC
Almost all changes in Odyssey are geared towards the lowest common denominator of players. This mentality should be expected going forward.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Liafcipe9000
Critically Preposterous
#3 - 2013-05-28 10:36:57 UTC
10 / 10

EVE does not need this much easy mode.
Danni stark
#4 - 2013-05-28 10:57:29 UTC
look on the bright side.

this might pave the way for auto recalling drones (and lets face it, controlling drones in eve is hideous)
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#5 - 2013-05-28 11:03:01 UTC
Danni stark wrote:
look on the bright side.

this might pave the way for auto recalling drones (and lets face it, controlling drones in eve is hideous)

IIRC they added auto-recalling drones already for some circumstances.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Jack Miton
Perkone
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-05-28 11:03:26 UTC
+1
It's also terrible in WHs where people will often leave probes out to check where a WH goes and then reconnect when they jump back.

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

Danni stark
#7 - 2013-05-28 11:08:36 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:
Danni stark wrote:
look on the bright side.

IIRC they added auto-recalling drones already for some circumstances.

for disconnects, for sure. not sure what else they added it for.
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#8 - 2013-05-28 11:15:05 UTC
Jack Miton wrote:
+1
It's also terrible in WHs where people will often leave probes out to check where a WH goes and then reconnect when they jump back.

Heck I do this quite often, even in kspace... I can come up with at least 3 good reasons why I'd want to leave probes in space. Do they also get recalled when you switch ships, at a POS for example? That would suck big-time for those using reconnection for specific purposes.
Freakdevil
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-05-28 11:45:16 UTC
Liafcipe9000 wrote:
10 / 10

EVE does not need this much easy mode.

+1 Override feature needs to be added.

Seriously doubt this was a nanny feature per se. I wonder if the reconnect feature was a bit too good so this was a stealth nerf to that.
Jenn aSide
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#10 - 2013-05-28 12:28:22 UTC
This is what happens when people keep asking for more and more advantages and "easy stuff" in a game, eventually developers just say "screw it, we know they want this kind of thing so lets do it".
Skeln Thargensen
Doomheim
#11 - 2013-05-28 12:35:33 UTC
it already warned you with a dialog box if you had probes out while attempting to change systems.

forums.  serious business.

Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
The Initiative.
#12 - 2013-05-28 12:46:55 UTC
Auto probe recall is shittttt!

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

ElQuirko
Protus Correction Facility Inc.
#13 - 2013-05-28 12:59:01 UTC
Danni stark wrote:

Warping out. Whether you get them back is a different story depending on distance and drone speed.

Dodixie > Hek

Purps
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#14 - 2013-05-28 12:59:09 UTC
You mean I can't leave my probes in asteroid fields to scare people anymore. /sadpanda
Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
Lord of Worlds Alliance
#15 - 2013-05-28 13:03:46 UTC
A sisters probe is for life, not just for christmas.
Danni stark
#16 - 2013-05-28 13:06:52 UTC
ElQuirko wrote:
Danni stark wrote:

Warping out. Whether you get them back is a different story depending on distance and drone speed.

are you sure? because the other day when 20 coercers appeared on grid right on ******* top of me and i nearly had a heart attack, when my retrievers warped my orca was left sitting there like a fat whale surrounded by a load of abandoned drones.
Roime
Shiva Furnace
#17 - 2013-05-28 13:10:22 UTC
Skeln Thargensen wrote:
it already warned you with a dialog box if you had probes out while attempting to change systems.

This. And you could disable the warning.

Auto-return removes tactical options and caters only to people who are too stupid to read popups.

Diablo Ex
Nocturne Holdings
#18 - 2013-05-28 13:11:52 UTC
I don't like any of these coming changes, especially with the idea of independent placement of probe patterns.
I always liked placing my combat probes in a long line away from a station to catch the WT's long undock BM's.
This is going to make my job that much harder...

Diablo Ex Machina - "I'm not here to fix your problem"

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#19 - 2013-05-28 13:22:09 UTC
This reminds me of that thread where I lost my 'nana because of the popup dialogue about leaving a station without your delivery mission cargoLol

The worst bit is that I was actually upset about it at the time, thinking that this was the nanny-state future of EVE online continually holding your hand for you. I imagine I would have had a psychotic episode if CCP had gone and shoved my delivery mission cargo in my ship before undocking.
Skeln Thargensen
Doomheim
#20 - 2013-05-28 13:26:48 UTC
since forgetfulness is my achilles heel i must endorse the dialogs.

I tentatively have the security space warning one off as it's annoying but knowing my habit of bumbling around highsec when i'm not carrying expensive cargo i'm going to have a shock one of these days.

forums.  serious business.

123Next page