These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Test Server Feedback

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Odyssey Feedback Request] New Sensor Overlay

First post First post
Author
Kalel Nimrott
Caldari Provisions
#381 - 2013-05-26 21:14:48 UTC
Brooks Puuntai wrote:
Kalel Nimrott wrote:
You shouldt know what type of signature is until you have it scanned down to at least 25%. Actually, the current system works fine in that aspect.

Not completely. While I haven't done much testing on it as of yet. I have been able to assume that 20% str sigs are Combat, 10% str are profession sites, and >5% str are gas. So after some time it will allow players to know with a great certainty what type of site it is off of the overlay. However like I said I haven't really been monitoring or done much testing, so I could be off.

Agreed, but to know the strenght of a sig you should have probes out. Know the strenght without probes doesn't sound right.

Bob Artis, you will be missed.

O7

Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#382 - 2013-05-26 22:02:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Alvatore DiMarco
The Discovery Scanner is a probe. Or rather, it turns your ship into a super-long-range DSP. It's the same functionality "professional explorers" spent pages and pages and pages alternately crying, complaining, raging and mudslinging about losing when they learned DSPs were out of the game for Odyssey.

I don't see much difference between dropping a single DSP and having the Discovery Scanner turn your ship into a DSP except that the old method took longer and comparatively much more tedious.
Kalel Nimrott
Caldari Provisions
#383 - 2013-05-26 23:36:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Kalel Nimrott
Ok, I'll asume that th DS is a DSP. I don't agree that you should know what type of sig is without core probes or combats. It makes things easier. I dont like it as it screw a couple of mechanics in wspace. With the rest I
dont have an issue.

Its like serving your meal already digested.

O7

CCP Habakuk
C C P
C C P Alliance
#384 - 2013-05-27 01:03:01 UTC
Shuin Pa wrote:
The icons look much better but are still rather large.
Jumping through gates on missions turns the scanner on and sweep animation continues. One must turn on then off to stop the animation.

This is a bug and should be fixed soon.
Quote:
Cannot use scanner by clicking the scan button in the probe scanner window. The button appears to be grey. Not sure if this is intentional. Hope not.

This also sounds like a bug, but it is not happening for me. Could you please write a bugreport about this through the ingame bugreporting tool (F12), which should include some logs. Please also add a screenshot. Thanks.

CCP Habakuk | EVE Quality Assurance | Team Five 0 | (Team Gridlock)

Bug reporting | Mass Testing

Alvatore DiMarco
#385 - 2013-05-27 03:38:25 UTC
Kalel Nimrott wrote:
Ok, I'll asume that th DS is a DSP. I don't agree that you should know what type of sig is without core probes or combats. It makes things easier. I dont like it as it screw a couple of mechanics in wspace. With the rest I
dont have an issue.

Its like serving your meal already digested.

Are we using the same Discovery Scanner? Things either show up as warpable green anoms just like they did with the old Onboard Scanner (or a single scan pass of a DSP) or they show up as red gibberish-named "Cosmic Signals" that don't tell you what type they are until you deploy probes and scan them to at least 25%.
Kalel Nimrott
Caldari Provisions
#386 - 2013-05-27 03:46:07 UTC
They could have changed it. But two days ago i saw what types of anoms (types, not an specific name) without launching probes.

O7

Alvatore DiMarco
#387 - 2013-05-27 05:10:44 UTC
Maybe the difficulty here is in what "Anoms" and "Sigs" are defined as.

"Guristas Forsaken Hub" is an Anom. You should absolutely see the name of that, because they always come up as 100% green and warpable.

"Serpentis Data Fortress" is a Data-type Cosmic Sig. You should see it come up via Discovery Scanner as a red bracket in space that just tells you the signature ID (Ex: QOV-361) and the distance (23.4 AU) and the base signal strength (8%), where only probing can reveal what type it is (Data) at 25% and finally the name at 75%.

That's the Discovery Scanner I've been using. As for myself, I've never seen it tell me what type of site it is (Data, Relic, Combat) without probes.
CCP Habakuk
C C P
C C P Alliance
#388 - 2013-05-27 09:48:20 UTC
CCP Habakuk wrote:
Quote:
Cannot use scanner by clicking the scan button in the probe scanner window. The button appears to be grey. Not sure if this is intentional. Hope not.

This also sounds like a bug, but it is not happening for me. Could you please write a bugreport about this through the ingame bugreporting tool (F12), which should include some logs. Please also add a screenshot. Thanks.

Oh sorry, I mis-read your post. The button in the probe scanner window should be grey, if you have no probes deployed. The data for the sensor overlay is updating automatically without pushing any buttons.

CCP Habakuk | EVE Quality Assurance | Team Five 0 | (Team Gridlock)

Bug reporting | Mass Testing

Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#389 - 2013-05-27 10:17:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Brooks Puuntai
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:

"Guristas Forsaken Hub" is an Anom. You should absolutely see the name of that, because they always come up as 100% green and warpable.

"Serpentis Data Fortress" is a Data-type Cosmic Sig. You should see it come up via Discovery Scanner as a red bracket in space that just tells you the signature ID (Ex: QOV-361) and the distance (23.4 AU) and the base signal strength (8%), where only probing can reveal what type it is (Data) at 25% and finally the name at 75%.

That's the Discovery Scanner I've been using. As for myself, I've never seen it tell me what type of site it is (Data, Relic, Combat) without probes.

It wont tell you the name or what site, but if you have the scanning window up it will show you the base str instantly. What the issue is for one there is no delay when entering in the system and knowing what is in the system(there should be a 5-10sec delay similar to the visual aspect). Also the base str from the overlay can be used to determine what type of site it is. Now if the last part is intended or not is up in the air, since it gives a similar ability that DSP gives(even though CCP said they wanted to remove that) just now without the skill req.

Also the overlay gives a dotted readout on sigs when in the solar system map, which should only be possible with triangulation. Not sure if that is intended or not, since it should be a bubble(single probe hit). The deviation is about the same as a bubble so it's a bit deceiving.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Jabba Miner
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#390 - 2013-05-27 10:37:26 UTC
CCP Habakuk wrote:
CCP Habakuk wrote:
Quote:

Oh sorry, I mis-read your post. The button in the probe scanner window should be grey, if you have no probes deployed. The data for the sensor overlay is updating automatically without pushing any buttons.

But it does not update the list.
Kalel Nimrott
Caldari Provisions
#391 - 2013-05-27 10:38:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Kalel Nimrott
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:

You are making me very happy with what are you saying. Though I remember seeing it, could be the day that they broke it with a patch and overlay was messy. I have no problems with the overlay as it is then.

Brooks Puuntai wrote:

It wont tell you the name or what site, but if you have the scanning window up it will show you the base str instantly. What the issue is for one there is no delay when entering in the system and knowing what is in the system(there should be a 5-10sec delay similar to the visual aspect). Also the base str from the overlay can be used to determine what type of site it is. Now if the last part is intended or not is up in the air, since it gives a similar ability that DSP gives(even though CCP said they wanted to remove that) just now without the skill req.

Also the overlay gives a dotted readout on sigs when in the solar system map, which should only be possible with triangulation. Not sure if that is intended or not, since it should be a bubble(single probe hit). The deviation is about the same as a bubble so it's a bit deceiving.

I could also drop a probe as soon as I enter the system and get the same effect. But is a double-edge sword. You could enter a system and know how many sigs are if you are a hunter which is helpful. Instead, if you are doing sig-watch, you know when a new sig appears.

O7

Brooks Puuntai
Solar Nexus.
#392 - 2013-05-27 11:23:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Brooks Puuntai
Kalel Nimrott wrote:

I could also drop a probe as soon as I enter the system and get the same effect. But is a double-edge sword. You could enter a system and know how many sigs are if you are a hunter which is helpful. Instead, if you are doing sig-watch, you know when a new sig appears.

Actually not really. The base str on the overlay is actually higher then if it hits on a single probe. Not to mention if you do drop a probe there is a delay due to scan time, where as with the overlay it is instant(even before the visual does its "sweep")

E: Like I said earlier, not sure if its intended or not, but it just seems off to me.

CCP's Motto: If it isn't broken, break it. If it is broken, ignore it. Improving NPE / Dynamic New Eden

Rengerel en Distel
#393 - 2013-05-27 13:17:14 UTC
Jabba Miner wrote:
CCP Habakuk wrote:
CCP Habakuk wrote:
Quote:

But it does not update the list.

Yeah, would like to know if that's intentional or still a bug. Even with the overlay sweeping, the list doesn't update when there is a new sig unless you change your filters to something and back.

With the increase in shiptoasting, the Report timer needs to be shortened.

CCP Masterplan
C C P
C C P Alliance
#394 - 2013-05-27 14:10:58 UTC
Brooks Puuntai wrote:
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:

The intention is that the initial scan from the overlay will populate the scan window with 100% results for anoms, and 0% results for sigs. The anoms will show up on the map view as green dots (as they are already warpable), and the sigs will show as as red spheres (roughly matching the size of the fuzzy skybox circles that you see when the overlay is turned on).
This change should show up on the next sisi update.

"This one time, on patch day..."

@ccp_masterplan  |  Team Five-0: Rewriting the law

CCP Greyscale
C C P
C C P Alliance
#395 - 2013-05-27 16:19:09 UTC
Hey everyone,

I've been meaning to catch up with this thread for a while, but I went on vacation for a week the day after it was posted, and didn't manage to make time last week to sit down and have a nice long read Smile

What's on SiSi now is (unsurprisingly) pretty close to being final, and it's been nice to see reading through this thread that at least some of the initial concerns have been resolved. Some of those we even planned to do all along Blink The one remaining substantial change is that, as Masterplan just mentioned, we're always initially setting the "signal strength %" in the tooltip to either 0% (signatures) or 100% (anomalies).

This achieves two things. Firstly, we remove the confusion caused by the initial probe scan on higher-strength sites invariably resulting in a signal strength decrease, which is ugly and unintuitive. Secondly, it allows us to claw back some of the efficiency gains inherent in the new system.

Clearly, this makes the sort of DSP look-up tables that advanced explorers are used to somewhat more difficult to leverage, as there's no longer a handily-exposed variable for this (the information can still be largely derived from the [clamped] range deviation visible in the tooltip, but you'll have to do a bit of math in your head to figure it out). The new "spread formation" allows this to be somewhat mitigated by acting as a poor man's DSP, but it's nevertheless a reduction in available information at this specific stage of the process. Given the efficiency gains elsewhere, though, we're of the belief that this shouldn't, in practice significantly disadvantage probers relative to the current TQ system.

There are some elements of the feedback to date that we're not currently planning to address.

The first is the impact on wormhole intel. Obviously this is a change to the status quo, but it's still not obviously a particularly destructive one. The intel that this system provides can already be obtained by launching a bunch of probes and regularly mashing "scan", and we're not huge fans of systems that require tedious and repetitive manual busy work (yes, the d-scanner, we know), so on the face of it we regard this as a straight-up improvement. We are of course waiting to see how this pans out in practice, and if it ends up making wormhole space materially less interesting, we'll make changes. We'd like to give the more creative members of the community the chance to play around with it in a live environment before jumping the gun, though.

The second is the jump-in scan and lack of options surrounding it. There'll hopefully be a blog on this feature soon that goes into more detail, but a major part of the feature brief was to find a way to make exploration possibilities more naturally visible to players of all ages (including new ones, obviously). The jump-in scan is one of the main ways we're hoping to meet that goal, by opening a permanent window into the hidden world of EVE. We're also, as a general goal, trying to gently cut back on the number of options that we expose in the client, both because it allows us to spend our "user complexity budget" more efficiently and because it's expensive in terms of development and maintenance. Our goal, rather, is to tune and target the jump-in scan so that it becomes a natural part of the jump sequence, rather than some outlandish imposition. We're going to be evaluating its intrusiveness on an ongoing basis both prior to and after release, to try and ensure that we hit that goal.

(Frellicus is also trying to find time to make the always-on sweep more intermittent, but it's not clear yet whether that'll make it in prior to release.)

Finally, there's obviously a lot of other things that seem like reasonable fits to show up in the overlay (bookmarks, mission locations, the directional scanner...), and we have sketch plans for various extensions to the feature in the future that may or may not see the light of day. If it gets expanded significantly we may even need to invest in some more robust filtering options.

If anyone has any outstanding questions not covered here, please ask Smile

-Greyscale
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#396 - 2013-05-27 16:26:27 UTC  |  Edited by: James Amril-Kesh
CCP Greyscale wrote:
Clearly, this makes the sort of DSP look-up tables that advanced explorers are used to somewhat more difficult to leverage, as there's no longer a handily-exposed variable for this (the information can still be largely derived from the [clamped] range deviation visible in the tooltip, but you'll have to do a bit of math in your head to figure it out). The new "spread formation" allows this to be somewhat mitigated by acting as a poor man's DSP, but it's nevertheless a reduction in available information at this specific stage of the process. Given the efficiency gains elsewhere, though, we're of the belief that this shouldn't, in practice significantly disadvantage probers relative to the current TQ system.

Obviously this means you should bring back the DSP since the functionality is no longer properly replaced by the discovery scanner.

And give us the option of launching a single probe by activating the module once instead of launching into a formation.

If you're not going to do either of those this change is functionally ********, since once again you're taking away functionality for almost no reason at all. Okay, so the signal strength decrease on probe scan doesn't make much sense, you're right about that, but that's a minor setback in comparison to removing the base sensor strengths altogether.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

blink alt
Doomheim
#397 - 2013-05-27 16:39:55 UTC
So am I understanding this correctly? The greatness that is currently on sisi where the base signal strength shows up in the scanner window is going away. However, that information is still going to be available by hovering over the in space icons? If so I am so sad now. I was tired of getting dizzy spinning my camera around to exclude signatures I didn't want to scan down and it was such a relief when that information was put is an easy and accessible place. What is the point of making the information less accessible?
Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#398 - 2013-05-27 16:42:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Altrue
Whohoo CCP Greyscale is posting ! \o/ (*fan*)

CCP Greyscale wrote:
Hey everyone,

The first is the impact on wormhole intel. Obviously this is a change to the status quo, but it's still not obviously a particularly destructive one. The intel that this system provides can already be obtained by launching a bunch of probes and regularly mashing "scan", and we're not huge fans of systems that require tedious and repetitive manual busy work (yes, the d-scanner, we know), so on the face of it we regard this as a straight-up improvement. We are of course waiting to see how this pans out in practice, and if it ends up making wormhole space materially less interesting, we'll make changes. We'd like to give the more creative members of the community the chance to play around with it in a live environment before jumping the gun, though.

It's hard to try it on Sisi. Would be cool to have a way to reach wormholes more easily. Currently if you left for a mass test, you have to log an alt inside the wormhole, scan the whole chain out in known space, travel in half the galaxy to finally be stuck inside a system where your POS dissapeared, and so, without supply.

CCP Greyscale wrote:

(...) to make exploration possibilities more naturally visible to players of all ages.

Characters, not players. Interesting lapsus. :p

CCP Greyscale wrote:

Our goal, rather, is to tune and target the jump-in scan so that it becomes a natural part of the jump sequence, rather than some outlandish imposition. We're going to be evaluating its intrusiveness on an ongoing basis both prior to and after release, to try and ensure that we hit that goal.

The best way to reach this goal would be to give more customizations options for the jump-in scanner : Sweeping frequency (possibility to display signatures in space without the sweeping ? :D), effect opacity, frequency independant from jumps (the jumping animation is already "heavy" enough without adding the sweeping right after). Considering the huge visual impact, these options are no luxury imo.

CCP Greyscale wrote:

(Frellicus is also trying to find time to make the always-on sweep more intermittent, but it's not clear yet whether that'll make it in prior to release.)

I'm sad :p (And I have troubles understanding why it is so hard to change that, but that's another problem :p)

CCP Greyscale wrote:

Finally, there's obviously a lot of other things that seem like reasonable fits to show up in the overlay (bookmarks, mission locations, the directional scanner...)

You are the best ! \o/ ♥

PS : Can't try it yet, is signal strength finally updating in the new sensor overlay when scanning ?

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

Rengerel en Distel
#399 - 2013-05-27 17:10:03 UTC
Still curious if it's a bug or feature that the list doesn't update until you change your filter settings. It's been repeated that the intel is instant, but it's not instant if the window doesn't update.
Example: stomp your WH static, and the old sig stays on the list, and the new one doesn't show up. once you switch your filter to something else, then back, the list populates correctly.

With the increase in shiptoasting, the Report timer needs to be shortened.

Seth Asthereun
Blank-Space
Northern Coalition.
#400 - 2013-05-27 17:31:21 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
CCP Greyscale wrote:

Obviously this means you should bring back the DSP since the functionality is no longer properly replaced by the discovery scanner.

And give us the option of launching a single probe by activating the module once instead of launching into a formation.

If you're not going to do either of those this change is functionally ********, since once again you're taking away functionality for almost no reason at all. Okay, so the signal strength decrease on probe scan doesn't make much sense, you're right about that, but that's a minor setback in comparison to removing the base sensor strengths altogether.

You are basically removing an advanced feature to compensate the ease of the new scanning system, removing some of the depth in something you should be "improving".....