These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Upgrading Local to Eliminate All AFK Influence

First post
Author
Jacid
The Upside Down
#101 - 2013-05-24 18:26:00 UTC
Once upon a time i'm figuring local was basically required in order to get conflict in null sec. The space was too vast for the amount of players online and so it was the only way to find targets to shoot at. Thats really only a guess however i do know now that local's absolute intel isn't good for PVE or PVP.

In a perfect world intel would cost something either in fuel / isk / or time. This cost would scale based on the level of intel a corp or alliance was willing to pay and perfect intel (active local with the ability to find cloaked vessel) should cost a fair bit. As it stands now its a cumbersome balance between afk cloaking and active local and changes need to be made.

Why I think they need to be changed isn't due to the null bear vers cloaked pvpers but because in a system of perfect intel large fleet conflict can grow stale. I like the idea of surprising an opposing fleet without having to resort to lame log off tactics. I think with less certainty in numbers you will have more fleet fights and less bowing out of fights due to a sudden spike in local.. and conflict is good for eve

Nikk's idea is a good temporary solution for the cumbersome balance we have between local and cloaking. Its a compromise i could back. As much as we get tired of seeing anti cloaking / anti intel threads the problem still exists. So people still need to shake the tree otherwise it will never be fixed

My 2 Cents
Ersahi Kir
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#102 - 2013-05-24 18:29:44 UTC
Khan Farshatok wrote:
i have neevr outright called someone an idiot in these threads for their idea's but sir this makes you looke like a complete moron.

first of all let me say that yes there needs to be some kind of better system for identifying if someone is infact AFK or something. but adding everything you are trying to add would infact hurt so much of sov warfare that its not even funny.

It's pretty obvious he hasn't considering how OP 200+ stealth bombers popping out of nothing and deploying bombs is.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#103 - 2013-05-24 19:06:25 UTC
Khan Farshatok wrote:
i have neevr outright called someone an idiot in these threads for their idea's but sir this makes you looke like a complete moron.

first of all let me say that yes there needs to be some kind of better system for identifying if someone is infact AFK or something. but adding everything you are trying to add would infact hurt so much of sov warfare that its not even funny. maybe make it as simple as an icon on someones name when they are inactive for 30 minutes, sort of like the icon on someons name when you have them blocked. please stop trying to chaneg the game for your own personal benefit though. -10 vote.

You're not too keen on risk, I see.

Or group cooperation for teamwork.

And you want local enhanced so you don't need any other intel that needs to be effort based, hence your interest in the AFK flagging.

I think we know enough on your view to guess the rest.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#104 - 2013-05-24 19:20:04 UTC
Ersahi Kir wrote:
Khan Farshatok wrote:

first of all let me say that yes there needs to be some kind of better system for identifying if someone is infact AFK or something. but adding everything you are trying to add would infact hurt so much of sov warfare that its not even funny.

It's pretty obvious he hasn't considering how OP 200+ stealth bombers popping out of nothing and deploying bombs is.

Popping out of nothing... let's just poke a couple of holes into that.

Obviously you are describing a fleet action. Anything with that many ships cannot be described otherwise.

Bridging into system? Neither covert or regular cyno can be used while cloaked, and the ships bridging in don't have a gate cloak effect. This would leave each visible until the pilot was able to manually cloak them.

Coming in by gate? If your corp or alliance can't be bothered to keep an eye on access points to your space, just how long do you expect to hold onto it? 200 gate flares should be noticed at some point when gate hopping, especially if they did not start in the next system over.

If you are seriously relying on local to warn you about a 200+ member bomber fleet, you already blew it by the time you see that pop spike.
Khan Farshatok
MASS
Pandemic Horde
#105 - 2013-05-24 19:58:04 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Khan Farshatok wrote:

first of all let me say that yes there needs to be some kind of better system for identifying if someone is infact AFK or something. but adding everything you are trying to add would infact hurt so much of sov warfare that its not even funny. maybe make it as simple as an icon on someones name when they are inactive for 30 minutes, sort of like the icon on someons name when you have them blocked. please stop trying to chaneg the game for your own personal benefit though. -10 vote.

And you want local enhanced so you don't need any other intel that needs to be effort based, hence your interest in the AFK flagging.

god you are definately ******** therefore you require no more effort. you apparently cant read and are just on the defensive at this time. move on. your idea is **** and no one is going to go with it, if you are being cloaky camped, then just move on to another system and stop crying like every other pubbie before you that has tried this same idea.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#106 - 2013-05-24 20:00:25 UTC
Khan Farshatok wrote:

We all note that you merely want to be able to carebear with zero risk.

Next horrible idea you have?

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#107 - 2013-05-24 20:04:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Khan Farshatok wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Khan Farshatok wrote:

god you are definately ******** therefore you require no more effort. you apparently cant read and are just on the defensive at this time. move on. your idea is **** and no one is going to go with it, if you are being cloaky camped, then just move on to another system and stop crying like every other pubbie before you that has tried this same idea.

Wow, and you are calling people retards and moron....

Nikk has never ever complained about cloaking camping in and of itself. In fact, he has advocated leaving AFK cloaking a viable strategy unless something is done to local.

A bit of back ground reading before spouting off with that mouth....errr those fingers would make you look a heck of a lot less foolish.

BTW, can you actually articulate your position beyond calling everyone a ****** or moron for simply not agreeing with you without seeing your argument? Roll

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#108 - 2013-05-24 20:17:05 UTC
Ersahi Kir wrote:
Khan Farshatok wrote:

Exactly what game mechanic allows 200+ stealth bombers to appear out of nothingness? I'd like to train that skill. Roll

Ersahi Kir
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#109 - 2013-05-24 20:32:58 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Ersahi Kir wrote:
Khan Farshatok wrote:

Exactly what game mechanic allows 200+ stealth bombers to appear out of nothingness? I'd like to train that skill. Roll

If his suggestion were implemented it would be covert ops 1 and bomb deployment 1.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#110 - 2013-05-24 20:40:27 UTC
Ersahi Kir wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Ersahi Kir wrote:
Khan Farshatok wrote:

If his suggestion were implemented it would be covert ops 1 and bomb deployment 1.

No, those skills don't allow 200+ stealth bombers to spawn out of nothing...you still need them to get into system somehow.

Ersahi Kir
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#111 - 2013-05-24 21:21:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Ersahi Kir
double post
Ersahi Kir
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#112 - 2013-05-24 21:28:45 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Ersahi Kir wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Ersahi Kir wrote:
Khan Farshatok wrote:

No, those skills don't allow 200+ stealth bombers to spawn out of nothing...you still need them to get into system somehow.

So the only defense against the stealth bomber blob is...someone telling you at some point during the day someone blipped in local for half a second, and that they may or may not still be in system?

How exactly is this not handing every possible advantage to the stealth bomber pilot, and what exactly is the counter balance to blobs of stealth bombers who may or may not be in a system?
Phobeus Primae
Hard Shell
#113 - 2013-05-24 21:38:54 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Phobeus Primae wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

The vessels which should fit this classification for full local exclusion I described:

Vessels within the shields of a POS (They cannot target or fire, AFK POS items are misleading)
Vessels docked at an outpost (They cannot target or fire, AFK Outpost items are misleading)
Vessels cloaked in a system (They cannot target or fire, AFK Cloaked items are misleading)

I will just put here some "worst case scenarios":
floating-in-POS and docked players - just imagine scenario when your transport ship is tackled by frigate and you get killed, because you didn't knew there were allied pilots sitting at the POS or station within same solar system
cloaked vessel - you are plexing with carrier in empty system and suddenly something decloaks nearby... game over.

In my opinion it wont work as supposed

There is this thing called comms....

Seriously, if you are in null you should be on comms, or accept the consequences of not being on comms.

Nevertheless Black Ops may happen and then carrier pilot is literally dead
Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#114 - 2013-05-24 22:06:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Maximus Aerelius
Khan Farshatok wrote:

Now I've never called anyone an idiot or a moron but you cannot spell! Maybe you should calm your fingers, take a deep breath (make that 10 deep breaths thinking about it) and actually read the OP's suggestion and others comments before firing off and calling people names. Oh and show some respect for another human being would you!
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#115 - 2013-05-24 22:24:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Ersahi Kir wrote:

So the only defense against the stealth bomber blob is...someone telling you at some point during the day someone blipped in local for half a second, and that they may or may not still be in system?

How exactly is this not handing every possible advantage to the stealth bomber pilot, and what exactly is the counter balance to blobs of stealth bombers who may or may not be in a system?

Oh...so....200+ stealth bombers wont appear out of nothing. Instead they'll have to come into system the conventional way and be visible for short span....

Darn, was really hoping there was a way to make 200+ stealth bombers spawn out of nothing.....

You do realize this is a partial solution. For example, read this comment by Nikk. Now Nikk can correct me here, but implicitly he is allowing for some sort of method of scanning cloaked ships.

There have been a number of ideas offered on scanning cloaked ships. See this post and this post, where the link gives an idea on how to hunt cloakies.

(By the way, note all those links in that last paragraph are to posts by Nikk where he talks about hunting cloaked vessels, in other words your ignorance is showing--you wont have to rely on something some guy might have seen earlier in the day, get out a cloak hunting ship and check system).

So now if 200 stealth bombers some how get in system without you knowing it, you could use the cloak hunting method to at least see that there are cloaked ships in system.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#116 - 2013-05-24 22:29:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Phobeus Primae wrote:

Quote:
Seriously, if you are in null you should be on comms, or accept the consequences of not being on comms.

Nevertheless Black Ops may happen and then carrier pilot is literally dead

Look, this change is only one part of a two part solution. Instead of having intel handed to you on a platter, you'll have to work for it. But the same goes for the cloaked ship as well. Once he activates his cloak he no longer gets the local intel either.

And you'll have a method to hunt/detect cloaked ships.

Did you read the entire thread (admittedly I have not) there are two posts back up stream that link to a related thread by Nikk on how to hunt cloaked ships. There are other methods as well such as using probes of a limited range.

There is this thread where a cloak hunting idea was discussed at length.

Seriously, if you come in half-assed to these threads you are going to often end up looking like an ass.

If you want more links on AFK cloaking, go here, I've found enough to keep you busy the entire holiday weekend.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#117 - 2013-05-25 00:08:42 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
If you want more links on AFK cloaking, go here, I've found enough to keep you busy the entire holiday weekend.

I endorse visiting this thread, it is a resource to understanding many voices who have spoken out on this topic.

A frequently misunderstood detail out of all of this, would be the impression I am looking for kill mails.

Well yes, but just not for me. I am pushing for some means to compete as a miner against other PvE players.

The other miners in other corps have it too easy thanks to local. They have too little risk, and competing against them ends with watching local for hostiles.
How can I compete with them to make a better effort to survive, when the bar is lowered like this?

Null is supposed to be the dangerous section, with higher rewards, while high sec is safe with lower.
In theory, at least.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#118 - 2013-05-25 04:47:56 UTC
Well that shut them up....

But to be fair, I think they just didn't fully grasp the idea here.

1. Change local so that AFK cloaking is no longer a reasonable tactic and so that cloaky ships have at least a chance to catch foolish ratters.
2. Give people a chance to try and hunt cloaked ships, and if somebody does try to AFK it, they'll almost surely lose their ship.

Petrified
Old and Petrified Syndication
TOG - The Older Gamers Alliance
#119 - 2013-05-25 05:54:42 UTC
An interesting idea. Generally, when I cloak, it is because I want to not be noticed (I could care less if you saw me in local or not, I just want to avoid being caught as I do what I do what I do best while cloaked). Not being seen in local until I either spoke or de-cloaked would be an added bonus.

Cloaking is the closest thing to a "Pause Game" button one can get while in space.

Support better localization for the Japanese Community.

Gerrick Palivorn
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#120 - 2013-05-25 08:47:57 UTC
I don't know how I missed this one Nikk, 100% support. Also free bump to a great idea!

MMOs come and go, but Eve remains.  -Garresh-