These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Discussion of Emergent Gameplay for Carebears and the interdependence of PvPers and their Prey.

Author
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#21 - 2013-05-20 15:19:46 UTC
silens vesica wrote:

Carebears are a force of nature - Like cattle and fish. You simply have to learn to farm them.

Fixed.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#22 - 2013-05-20 15:22:44 UTC
Susurrus Synaesthesia wrote:

Emergent game play. Burn Jita, Hulkageddon, ice interdictions and any massive culling of hi-sec is awesome for the game. Destroyed ships = money for CCP just as bored/absent carebears = less money for CCP. . Destroyed ISK means more people playing to get that ISK back and more people playing to destroy more ISK. More people in an MMO = better for everyone. It's also plain old fun and excitement.

(stuff)

So here is my challenge to the EVE community: How could carebears fight the PvPers in a way that did not involve actually blowing them up?

I think this puts it nicely:
Inferno wrote:

... millimeters, kilometers, headcounts, deathtolls.

This is progress.

Colonies burned, Ships destroyed, people killed.

Money earned.

It all comes at a price.

But in all honesty, there shouldn't be a distinction between "carebear" and "PVPer". What I mean is, we all PVP -- be it on the markets, or at belt 1, or moon 1-1.

Way I see it is that the marketeers, industrialists, traders, etc have their "home turf" on the market screen, and the combat pilots are at a disadvantage. Their "recourse" then is to take things outside, and settle things with antimatter.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Velicitia
XS Tech
#23 - 2013-05-20 15:24:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Velicitia
Murk Paradox wrote:

So did the dude who came up with "awoxing".

that would have been "Awox" (or something along those lines, can't recall if that was his name, or a shortening of it)

e- confirmed below.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#24 - 2013-05-20 15:27:00 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
silens vesica wrote:

Carebears are a force of nature - Like cattle and fish. You simply have to learn to farm them.

Fixed.

Fair point, I suppose. They give me a rash and get in the way. You can farm 'em if you wish.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Zifrian
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2013-05-20 15:36:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Zifrian
So your suggestion is...get a bunch of non-social players in unaffiliated, single player, multi-character corporations with skills focused on non-pvp to leave the safety of high-sec space to go attack gate campers, et al as a group with people they do not know and risk the wealth they have earned through their own version of enjoyable gameplay in the sandbox....for what exactly?

I like the idea that people play however they want.

Maximze your Industry Potential! - Download EVE Isk per Hour!

Import CCP's SDE - EVE SDE Database Builder

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#26 - 2013-05-20 15:43:07 UTC
Velicitia wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:

that would have been "Awox" (or something along those lines, can't recall if that was his name, or a shortening of it)

I believe he was called Sir Bartholomew Awoxington
Jarod Garamonde
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2013-05-20 15:51:01 UTC
Velicitia wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:

No.... Awox was actually his name.

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

[#savethelance]
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#28 - 2013-05-20 15:55:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Murk Paradox
Velicitia wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:

Yea I don't remember the guy's name, it was before my time, but I did come across it in an article once.

Definitely emergent however.

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Ginger Barbarella
#29 - 2013-05-20 15:57:11 UTC
Lila Sujani wrote:
Carebears fight PvPers by complaining and sperging on these forums. Haven't we established that long ago?

Here they cannot be ganked, their ISK/hr is unaffected, and they can ignore facts and declare victory whenever they feel like it.

That's cute... It's almost like you're trying to make people believe you have a clue what you're talking about!!

"Blow it all on Quafe and strippers." --- Sorlac

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#30 - 2013-05-20 16:02:02 UTC
I don't particularly care if somebody isn't interested in PvP. I do care if they refuse to accept that they are not completely safe anywhere and that avoiding PvP is an active process, not a switch you turn on or off.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Velicitia
XS Tech
#31 - 2013-05-20 16:16:37 UTC
Andski wrote:
I don't particularly care if somebody isn't interested in PvP. I do care if they refuse to accept that they are not completely safe anywhere and that avoiding PvP is an active process, not a switch you turn on or off.

This pretty much sums up most eve players, I think.

Also, **** all you people who're making me agree with goons.

Calgrissom Torvec
#32 - 2013-05-20 18:10:15 UTC
Carebears are the one who actually take the risk in this game. Undocking in ship fitting that are unable to perform PVP and PVE to and acceptable level put them in a place where they cannot defend themselves from pvp pilots and perform PVE combat. Ganking is most of the pvp in the game outside of Null and the carebear is always at a disadvantage. Own a freighter or pve BS? 6 trash fit sebo/T2 Gyro tornadoes can pop you with little trouble they don't need tank or acceptable combat fittings . The ganker fleet will be out much less ISK than the lone carebear who has no chance to fight back.

Miner / mission/ freighter ganking has proven this time and time again as if it wasn't profitable and easy to perform it would not happen multiple times every day.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#33 - 2013-05-20 18:33:42 UTC
Calgrissom Torvec wrote:
Carebears are the one who actually take the risk in this game. Undocking in ship fitting that are unable to perform PVP and PVE to and acceptable level put them in a place where they cannot defend themselves from pvp pilots and perform PVE combat. Ganking is most of the pvp in the game outside of Null and the carebear is always at a disadvantage. Own a freighter or pve BS? 6 trash fit sebo/T2 Gyro tornadoes can pop you with little trouble they don't need tank or acceptable combat fittings . The ganker fleet will be out much less ISK than the lone carebear who has no chance to fight back.

Miner / mission/ freighter ganking has proven this time and time again as if it wasn't profitable and easy to perform it would not happen multiple times every day.

Fun fact.

The ganking of barges and exhumers have never been lower than today. You are also more likely to be involved in a road accident than ganked unless you do something stupid.
Susurrus Synaesthesia
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#34 - 2013-05-20 19:12:55 UTC
Zifrian wrote:
So your suggestion is...get a bunch of non-social players in unaffiliated, single player, multi-character corporations with skills focused on non-pvp to leave the safety of high-sec space to go attack gate campers, et al as a group with people they do not know and risk the wealth they have earned through their own version of enjoyable gameplay in the sandbox....for what exactly?

I like the idea that people play however they want.

I don't know if you were responding to my original post, but my idea was just opposite of that. And I do think people should play how they want, they just might consider not complaining about their choice publicly. Example: your date decides to wear high heels out to dinner. Fine, nice even. She should not however, get to whine about it all night and blame YOU for it. It was her decision. Extrapolate then: It is my belief that carebears and PvPers alike shouldn't whine about the legitimate play styles of their counterparts. As you said, play how you want.

I was hoping this thread might generate ideas for those complaining (carebears being those who avoid PvP and complain having to) a way to vent their frustration more productively. A trade embargo with null sec players obviously wouldn't work. I've already established that the idea of industrialists fighting gate camps is ludicrous... I can't think of a solution, thus the challenge. Is there some resource PvPers need and can only get from carebears that the carebears could control? A hi sec technetium? Broader market manipulation? Obviously their delicious tears are an example but that cannot be regimented. Carebears would never log on - the equivalent of curing the disease by killing the patient. I guess I was optimistic that the carebears would even read this and additionally that someone could offer ideas about a tactical recourse to ganking besides whining on the forums and avoiding certain systems. I'm starting to think that this has no solution and has too many logical holes to contend with (if care bears stop whining, do they cease to be carebears?).

Maybe people just like whining. But for the amount of people who whine about OTEC, the 'blue donut' and the Goons, they sure don't seem to do **** about it. If ya can't beat em...
Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#35 - 2013-05-20 19:46:39 UTC
Quote:
Emergent game play, like the 'burn jita' events is fan-bloody-tastic for the game.

That's why Hilmar got on stage, cried like a girl, said it almost killed the company, and ditched WoD and Wis.

I was seriously giving you the benefit the doubt till I got that sentence.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#36 - 2013-05-20 20:01:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Calgrissom Torvec wrote:
Carebears are the one who actually take the risk in this game. Undocking in ship fitting that are unable to perform PVP and PVE to an acceptable level put them in a place where they cannot defend themselves from pvp pilots and perform PVE combat.
As a pretty much dyed in the wool "carebear", you're wrong. Don't want your PvE ship to explode? don't tank solely for the rats you're fighting, don't be afk, know about game mechanics that let others gain legitimate aggro timers on you, don't fit overly shiny modules, be aware of who the ganking groups are and set them to bad or terribad standings so that they show up differently in local and on the overview, don't cry in chat when you die, ask your opponent where you went wrong and above all don't fly what you can't afford to lose.

Quote:
Ganking is most of the pvp in the game outside of Null and the carebear is always at a disadvantage. Own a freighter or pve BS? 6 trash fit sebo/T2 Gyro tornadoes can pop you with little trouble they don't need tank or acceptable combat fittings . The ganker fleet will be out much less ISK than the lone carebear who has no chance to fight back.
Once again you're wrong, if you're hauling an excessive ISK value in a ship that is made of paper mache then it's entirely on you when you get ganked, the gankers don't determine if a gank is profitable or not, the person being ganked does. I carry no more than 10,000 isk per EHP of my hauler (200,000,000 isk in a 20,000 EHP ship for example) usually less, anything more than that is the equivalent to having a neon sign on the back inviting people to 'splode my arse. Your PvE BS will be fine, as long as you don't fit it with all sorts of shiny crap, attract attention to yourself, do something excessively stupid or undock it during a war.

Quote:
Don't call it easy until you've tried it, a gank squad of destroyers or tier 3 battlecruisers requires organisation, planning, pre planned undocks, concord baiting, scouts who ship scan and a good knowledge of game mechanics, teamwork is pretty much always going to triumph over a solo effort. It happens multiple times per day purely because people take no precautions against it.

Attacking commercial and industrial shipping is the very definition of piracy throughout history, why should it be any different in the future?

Last but not least, consider your ship dead when you undock in it, if you get to dock back up in it, consider that a bonus.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Yokai Mitsuhide
Doomheim
#37 - 2013-05-20 20:06:44 UTC
Lila Sujani wrote:
Carebears fight PvPers by complaining and sperging on these forums. Haven't we established that long ago?

Here they cannot be ganked, their ISK/hr is unaffected, and they can ignore facts and declare victory whenever they feel like it.

90% of the time I see you "elite" pvpers are the ones on the forums with your constant complaining and demands of things being balanced to be in your favor.
Vincent R'lyeh
Screaming Hayabusa
#38 - 2013-05-20 20:15:41 UTC
What this thread needs is more beards

I have deliberately developed an air of cynicism that I originally intended to make me appear somewhat louche and caddish but actually comes across as irritable hostility combined with the unspoken threat of sudden violence.....

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#39 - 2013-05-20 20:26:04 UTC
Yokai Mitsuhide wrote:

90% of the time I see you "elite" pvpers are the ones on the forums with your constant complaining and demands of things being balanced to be in your favor.

So how does our calls for tech to be nerfed work into your logic?
Yokai Mitsuhide
Doomheim
#40 - 2013-05-20 20:27:43 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Yokai Mitsuhide wrote:

So how does our calls for tech to be nerfed work into your logic?

Well...it pokes some rather large holes in it actually.