These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Test Server Feedback

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Log Off Option

First post
Author
Cage Man
Fusion Enterprises Ltd
Pandemic Horde
#1 - 2013-05-17 20:41:05 UTC
I see the option to log off and return to the log in screen has been removed. Please can this be put back, switching characters is a pain now as you have to open the launcher again Sad
Octoven
Stellar Production
#2 - 2013-05-18 00:23:30 UTC
Cage Man wrote:
I see the option to log off and return to the log in screen has been removed. Please can this be put back, switching characters is a pain now as you have to open the launcher again Sad

Click the little gears icon, go to the startup tab, and uncheck the box that says, "Close the EVE Launcher after starting EVE Online" This function is disabled by default so unless you have it setup like that the launcher will not close, if the launcher does not close then switching characters is only a matter of closing the client, hitting play again, and choosing the new character :).

However, if you want to change accounts you will need to click, "Switch Accounts" on the launcher OR just close the launcher and re-open it and you can then log in the new account.
Johan Toralen
IIIJIIIITIIII
#3 - 2013-05-18 01:45:54 UTC
Just keep the launcher open?
Cage Man
Fusion Enterprises Ltd
Pandemic Horde
#4 - 2013-05-19 19:22:34 UTC
Octoven wrote:
Cage Man wrote:

Click the little gears icon, go to the startup tab, and uncheck the box that says, "Close the EVE Launcher after starting EVE Online" This function is disabled by default so unless you have it setup like that the launcher will not close, if the launcher does not close then switching characters is only a matter of closing the client, hitting play again, and choosing the new character :).

However, if you want to change accounts you will need to click, "Switch Accounts" on the launcher OR just close the launcher and re-open it and you can then log in the new account.

Thanks Octoven

@ Johan, I try not to have lots of stuff open. Old PC and with 2 clients, TS, mumble, etc it barely chugs along. Still wonder why they would change something that was working just fine. Maybe they've hired some ex Microsoft devs...
Nex Killer
Perkone
Caldari State
#5 - 2013-05-19 19:25:11 UTC
Johan Toralen wrote:

Why should he have to keep the launcher open? All modern day MMO's have an option to go to the character selection screen. I still don't understand why Eve doesn't have this added in yet..
Cage Man
Fusion Enterprises Ltd
Pandemic Horde
#6 - 2013-05-20 00:46:29 UTC
Nex Killer wrote:
Johan Toralen wrote:

Why should he have to keep the launcher open? All modern day MMO's have an option to go to the character selection screen. I still don't understand why Eve doesn't have this added in yet..

Also its not like I am asking for something new. its been there since I first started playing eve 3 yrs ago and removing it really doesn't change game play in either a good or bad way. Scanning gets made easier but switching toons gets made harder..
There was a discussion on features a while back about having a switch character function, so this change is odd
Ruze
Next Stage Initiative
#7 - 2013-05-20 03:40:06 UTC
Kinda on topic, here: Let me lay down on the bed in CQ to initiate a log-off or quit game option.

Crazy little transition piece, I know.

If you're driven to threaten others with harm or violence because of what they do in game, you can't separate fantasy from reality. That "griefer/thief" is probably more sane than you are. How screwed up is that?

Nex Killer
Perkone
Caldari State
#8 - 2013-05-20 06:33:42 UTC
Cage Man wrote:
Nex Killer wrote:
Johan Toralen wrote:

Also its not like I am asking for something new. its been there since I first started playing eve 3 yrs ago and removing it really doesn't change game play in either a good or bad way. Scanning gets made easier but switching toons gets made harder..
There was a discussion on features a while back about having a switch character function, so this change is odd

I'm with you I multibox 4 accounts and on each account I have 3 characters and every 2 days I have to change out thePI on them all. This new system just made my life 100x harder..
CCP Aporia
C C P
C C P Alliance
#9 - 2013-05-20 10:18:29 UTC
This raises a good point. So far what the log off button would do was to restart your client to return you to the login screen. Since the login screen is slowly being phased out then the log off button was removed, as keeping the launcher open would do the same. That being said, we should probably look into re-adding the log off button and automatically starting the launcher if it is not running.

Friend of walking avatars, currently hibernating until he gets to open that door.

Unkind Omen
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#10 - 2013-05-20 13:56:54 UTC
The automatic launch of the client with the latest entered credentials will be better. As this button was basicly used to switch characters rather then accounts. Or you can add 2 buttons for that purpose.
Nex Killer
Perkone
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-05-20 16:59:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Nex Killer
CCP Aporia wrote:
This raises a good point. So far what the log off button would do was to restart your client to return you to the login screen. Since the login screen is slowly being phased out then the log off button was removed, as keeping the launcher open would do the same. That being said, we should probably look into re-adding the log off button and automatically starting the launcher if it is not running.

Why not just add in a switch character button and save yourself the trouble of having the launcher reopening then having to click play again then the character we want this time...
Clansworth
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-05-20 17:10:50 UTC
I don't even use the launcher unless there is a patch. I run two clients on two separate screens, so launching junctioned mirrored installs from a batch file fires up both clients, each with their own configurations. Without the logoff button, switching characters on one of the clients is going to be a lot more difficult, needing to make sure I manually relaunch the proper client.
Maximus Andendare
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#13 - 2013-05-20 17:19:26 UTC
CCP Aporia wrote:
You're phasing out the login screen??? For ten years, every six months or so we've seen pretty, themed screens showing the expansion. PLEASE say you're not doing away with this!

Enter grid and you're already dead, destined to be reborn and fight another day.

>> Play Eve Online FREE! Join today for exclusive bonuses! <<

Oberine Noriepa
#14 - 2013-05-20 17:46:12 UTC
Maximus Andendare wrote:
You're phasing out the login screen??? For ten years, every six months or so we've seen pretty, themed screens showing the expansion. PLEASE say you're not doing away with this!

As long as they do something with the character selection screen, I don't think it will be too bad.

Lost Hamster
Hamster Holding Corp
#15 - 2013-05-20 17:47:58 UTC
CCP Aporia wrote:
Since the login screen is slowly being phased out then the log off button was removed, as keeping the launcher open would do the same. That being said, we should probably look into re-adding the log off button and automatically starting the launcher if it is not running.

Don't phase it out. It's a baaaad idea. If you can build in the SSO to the launcher, then you can do the same to the client as well.
Many of us are running multiple instances, we don't need additional multiple launcher to run in the background. It's just eating resources for nothing.
CCP Aporia
C C P
C C P Alliance
#16 - 2013-05-20 20:38:42 UTC
Lost Hamster wrote:
CCP Aporia wrote:
Since the login screen is slowly being phased out then the log off button was removed, as keeping the launcher open would do the same. That being said, we should probably look into re-adding the log off button and automatically starting the launcher if it is not running.

Don't phase it out. It's a baaaad idea. If you can build in the SSO to the launcher, then you can do the same to the client as well.
Many of us are running multiple instances, we don't need additional multiple launcher to run in the background. It's just eating resources for nothing.

But what about running multiple instances from a single launcher? ;-)

Friend of walking avatars, currently hibernating until he gets to open that door.

Nex Killer
Perkone
Caldari State
#17 - 2013-05-20 20:43:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Nex Killer
CCP Aporia wrote:
Lost Hamster wrote:
CCP Aporia wrote:

But what about running multiple instances from a single launcher? ;-)

I already have ISBoxer for that. How about you guys make a switch character option so we don't have to relaunch the game/launcher each time with this new system.