These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Discussion of Emergent Gameplay for Carebears and the interdependence of PvPers and their Prey.

Author
Susurrus Synaesthesia
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#1 - 2013-05-20 12:42:08 UTC
I would like to start a discussion on emergent game play that carebears could undertake. In addition, it is my hope that this post will shed some light on this dynamic that many people seem so obsessed with, and not to beat an already dead horse to a pulp. In the efforts of avoiding the TLDR problems, I'll give you a quick abstract on what I have to say:

EVE is a game based on 'risk vs. reward', without either the game is boring. Carebears and PvPers each need each other, not only economically [which is outside the purview of this post], but psychologically. PvPers provide the 'risk', and Carebears the 'reward'. Keep fighting, keep doing your thing, but stop bitching about it and stop petitioning CCP to remove one or the other. Emergent game play, like the 'burn jita' events is fan-bloody-tastic for the game. Carebears, maybe it is time you fought back in your own way: you form much of the economical backbone of EVE either by generating ISK through missioning or actually producing minerals, modules, ships and other such virtual property. Maybe, since null sec still depends on you, if only [post-odyssey mineral changes] for your delicious tears and money, you could find a way to mess with them...

Let's get one thing out of the way first so this thread doesn't immediately devolve into a 'carebears suck, nullsec blue donut' fight. I encourage carebears and null/low/WH denizens to keep arguing and fighting with each other, in space and on the forums. I also encourage the people who keep encouraging CCP to nerf or remove one or the other from the game to stop typing and try thinking for a little while. Its good for you, and everyone around you.

Here is some theory you can skip if lazy:

EVE is a game about weighing risk an reward - something it delightfully shares with real life without serious permanent consequences - each opposing side largely supplies one aspect of this relationship. PvPers largely provide the risk, and carebears mainly the reward. Carebears die and thus give the PvPers financial and psychological rewards [PvPers thrive on carebear tears]. Carebears, honestly, most things without any element of perceived risk are not fun. You're playing a game, so the real life risk is minimal to truly non-existent. You get your risk through entrepreneurial market manipulation, fighting rats and most importantly, from getting ganked by the PvP community.

Though some of these things go both ways, the carebear poses minute risk to the PvPer and the PvPer [if defeated] poses minute reward to the carebear.

Simply put, whichever side you belong to, you define yourself based on the fact that you do not belong in the other category. If you want to adopt a trite academic standby, you can call it "the Other". It is forming an identity by discerning yourself from a group you dislike or with whom you disagree.

PvPers look down upon carebears as being cowards, or perhaps not living up to the massively multiplayer and risk aspects of the game. In some cases I am sure that is true. There are also likely carebears who play the game in their limited free time, enjoy some of its less adrenaline motivated aspects and who truly like playing a game without any risks. This is good, it is what makes EVE a wonderful sandbox of opportunity, and not just a 3rd person shooter in spaceships.

Carebears, you too need the PvPers, for the same reason of self-identity. They [at least to some of you] are loathsome and malicious pirates who seemingly just want to do you harm and destroy your hard work. However, without them, you would not be carebears, you would just be industrialists, missioners who could be playing the game single-player. There would be no true risk to your operations. Without risk, there would be little reward other than accumulating absurd amounts of wealth that you would only use to make more wealth and so on... There would be no conquering of space, no rush that comes from defeating the odds, mastering danger and much less patting yourself on the back for making a wise decision. That risk-less fake money making game exists, it is called Excel. Or perhaps, if you are an unrealistically optimistic economist, that game is called 'mutual funds'. In EVE however, you would get bored, stop playing and the game would cease to exist. Carebears are the backbone of the EVE economy and provide much reason for PvPers to play in the first place.

End theory

So great, you need each other. Big deal, someone else has said this before, though maybe without considering this angle. What may be a new idea to some is that we need to keep fighting each other, but in new ways. Maybe however, there needs to be a new type of fighting. Carebear style.

Emergent game play. Burn Jita, Hulkageddon, ice interdictions and any massive culling of hi-sec is awesome for the game. Destroyed ships = money for CCP just as bored/absent carebears = less money for CCP. . Destroyed ISK means more people playing to get that ISK back and more people playing to destroy more ISK. More people in an MMO = better for everyone. It's also plain old fun and excitement.

I'm not a particularly good carebear or PvPer, but I have done both, and I know the notion of getting carebears [who are defined by their meekness] to do something like fight is a stretch. But for goodness sake, you probably have testicles underneath your Startrek tighty-whiteys, so use 'em! Someone in a different post here suggested that carebears suddenly climb into PvP fit T3s and blitz null sec. That is a great way to get ganked and pillaged and to feed null more hi-sec tears. Who enjoys spaceship gang ****? 9 out of 10 people.

Carebears, fight PvPers with your own weapons, not theirs. Your weapon is hi-sec space and most of what it contains. Use it.

So here is my challenge to the EVE community: How could carebears fight the PvPers in a way that did not involve actually blowing them up?
Lila Sujani
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#2 - 2013-05-20 12:48:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Lila Sujani
Carebears fight PvPers by complaining and sperging on these forums. Haven't we established that long ago?

Here they cannot be ganked, their ISK/hr is unaffected, and they can ignore facts and declare victory whenever they feel like it.
Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#3 - 2013-05-20 13:20:53 UTC
Susurrus Synaesthesia wrote:
Carebears and PvPers each need each other, not only economically [which is outside the purview of this post], but psychologically.

That is nonsense. The game just needs people doing industry and significant portion of the PvP population I've met are industrials too. They like to PvP, but also mine, invent, produce and do PI with their spare time. There are very few people who actually just PvP or define themselves solely through it. Most players take part in various activities and other players don't feel the need to define them as other or put them in a confrontational position. They're just other players, that play the game in their own way and that's where it ends.

There is a lot of hate towards carebears, but that's because they aren't just people doing PvE activities. Carebears in EVE actively avoid any kind of PvP at all costs, complain endlessly when it happens to them and even try to remove it from certain areas of the game entirely. People who like EVE as a multiplayer sandbox have great reasons for hating them and carebears defined this way are in no way necessary to the game.

Your whole view of the situation just seems weird to me anyway. It's like you read some forum vomit and built your grand theory based on it. It might be a problem with you not defining your terms, so it's unclear what you exactly refer to with the term carebear. It could be, that you just meant people who do PvE, but since almost everyone does it, that isn't much of a problem to most EVE players if any. I think you might have some good points about how some people have adopted this confrontational attitude and used it to define who they are and who the other is, but that's about it.

GreenSeed
#4 - 2013-05-20 13:25:05 UTC
confirming the word "emergent gameplay" now means some crap it didn't when it was first coined.
Haseo Antares
Production N Destruction INC.
F O R M I C I D A E
#5 - 2013-05-20 13:25:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Haseo Antares
Now I've never been the sharpest butter knife in the crayon box...but what is your point?

Play to have fun...anything else is pointless.

We currently have the world's greatest linguists and scientists trying to decode what you just said.

Nyancat Audeles
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2013-05-20 13:27:20 UTC
Another one of these threads? Lock for lack of content please
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#7 - 2013-05-20 13:31:17 UTC
EVE is dying...

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Elinarien
Doomheim
#8 - 2013-05-20 13:33:18 UTC
Yawn...

"Emergent Gameplay" is just another of those lazy phrases that serves no other purpose than to allow one to play bullshit bingo on these forums....
Six Six Six
Doomheim
#9 - 2013-05-20 13:35:06 UTC
Lila Sujani wrote:
Carebears fight PvPers by complaining and sperging on these forums. Haven't we established that long ago?

Here they cannot be ganked, their ISK/hr is unaffected, and they can ignore facts and declare victory whenever they feel like it.

Actually both groups are as bad as each other, although to be more exact a small percentage of both groups.
Aemonchichi
Limited Access
#10 - 2013-05-20 13:35:18 UTC
easy **** ^^ carebears close their accounts and the die hard pvpers are ****** 8) cause 90% of those die hard pvper are just gankers in fact, that pvp vs mining barges n stuff, so i would dream to see eve minus carebears -> gankers gettin butt hurt by real pvpers and soon they follow the carebears

and whoopee no second decade cause eve wont work without carebears, but that is a lesson ccp has to learn themselves, listening isnt their strength, never was never will be
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#11 - 2013-05-20 13:36:19 UTC
Meine augen!

/not this crap again

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Lady Areola Fappington
#12 - 2013-05-20 14:08:38 UTC
Aemonchichi wrote:
easy **** ^^ carebears close their accounts and the die hard pvpers are ****** 8) cause 90% of those die hard pvper are just gankers in fact, that pvp vs mining barges n stuff, so i would dream to see eve minus carebears -> gankers gettin butt hurt by real pvpers and soon they follow the carebears

and whoopee no second decade cause eve wont work without carebears, but that is a lesson ccp has to learn themselves, listening isnt their strength, never was never will be

Show me on the doll where the ganker touched you.

Actually, your name looks kind of familiar. We didn't get you, or one of your poorly named alts recently, did we?

As for your silly statistics, Most gankers are quite avid PVPers, Be it faction warfare, lowsec piracy, or null.

The ability to ruin someone's day has always been, and will continue to be, a core guiding principle of EVE Online. If nonconsensual PVP isn't your thing, this may not be the game for you.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Adunh Slavy
#13 - 2013-05-20 14:10:28 UTC

So here is my challenge to the EVE community: How could carebears fight the PvPers in a way that did not involve actually blowing them up?

Carebears don't care

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

Skeln Thargensen
Doomheim
#14 - 2013-05-20 14:12:05 UTC
er, move more than two jumps and don't undock that expensive thing.

hth!

forums.  serious business.

Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2013-05-20 14:53:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Infinity Ziona
Six Six Six wrote:
Lila Sujani wrote:

Actually both groups are as bad as each other, although to be more exact a large percentage of both groups.

fixed it for u

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#16 - 2013-05-20 14:55:46 UTC
Aemonchichi wrote:

Yes, we know, the feared "mass exodus of carebears" is always imminent. It's been imminent for a decade.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2013-05-20 14:59:09 UTC
I would like to start a discussion on emergent game play that carebears could undertake.

James 315 has one of the best examples of emergent gameplay.

So did the dude who came up with "awoxing".

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#18 - 2013-05-20 14:59:21 UTC
Carebears and PvPers each need each other

PvPers dont need bears.
TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#19 - 2013-05-20 15:00:13 UTC
Aemonchichi wrote:

What is this absurd notion of a "real pvper" you have? Shooting some scrub in a mining barge is as real and valid as engaging a supercap fleet. PVP is PVP. Carebears like to imply, through the use of the term "real pvp", that PVP done against them specifically is somehow less valid, less ~honourable~, etc but ... I think it's just bs they use to make themselves feel better about the poor (for the situation they found themselves in) decisions they made themselves.

It's very dishonest to claim PVP you don't like isn't "real".
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#20 - 2013-05-20 15:00:34 UTC
Oh look! Another hopeless optimist that thinks he can get carebears to play the game the way *he* wants to play.

Carebears are a force of nature - Like poison ivy and weeds. You simply have to learn to deal with them. Or avoid them.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

123Next pageLast page