These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

No Command Ship Buff Coming

First post
Author
Destiny Corrupted
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
#41 - 2013-05-20 02:00:50 UTC
Nyancat Audeles wrote:
This makes sense! I did not think of this before.

You won't often find me commenting on stuff I don't know very well (I never talk about sov. warfare, for example), but there are certain things in the game that I understand to a very high degree, and boosting is one of them. I had my first fully-maxed booster around 2007, and I've been using links to a great extent since then. In fact, most of my kills wouldn't have been possible without them, since I'm usually significantly outnumbered when I fight.

By all means, I agree with the public sentiment here that something about off-grid links just isn't right, but I think that simply making them required to be on-grid is a very heavy-handed and unrefined solution. What you want to fix is their virtual invulnerability inside POS bubbles, and to a lesser extent, making them more static and probe-able. Stacking ECCM makes them pretty difficult to find, even when there's no POS in the equation.

I also think that increasing their EHP isn't a very good idea, because that will make links even more difficult to counter in high-sec space. I really hope they don't give boosters the suspect flag for neutral boosting, though, since that will just marginalize their use to the groups who have the numbers to field enough logistics to make the suspect flag irrelevant anyway.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/users/2074-destiny-corrupted

Maggeridon Thoraz
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#42 - 2013-05-20 04:50:57 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Destiny Corrupted wrote:

Just making them be required to be present on the battlefield is stupid. They're glass ships that can be popped in 2-3 Tornado volleys.

A damnation can get over 300k buffer...

i think we are talking here about t3s

t3s with 3 warfare mods in the highs are glass thin. for them to be have on grid they must have way bigger tank than now , actually better than the t2 boosters , but then you have a problem i think with t3 at all.... beeing so tanky.....
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#43 - 2013-05-20 07:12:10 UTC
Perihelion Olenard wrote:
They also said one day they'll fix POSes and overhaul drones.

POSes only affect a small fraction of players.

The new rat AI changes have greatly changed we the way we use drones in PVE.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Roime
Shiva Furnace
#44 - 2013-05-20 08:45:02 UTC
How to fix links in hisec:

disable them like cynos and bombs, done

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#45 - 2013-05-20 08:47:38 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Destiny Corrupted wrote:

Just making them be required to be present on the battlefield is stupid. They're glass ships that can be popped in 2-3 Tornado volleys.

A damnation can get over 300k buffer...

With how many links?

The three it's intended to have.
Hell, even the wtfawfulineveryway Eos gets 140k EHP.

That's the part I don't wholly agree with.

Six-link setups are dumb, hth

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Ifly Uwalk
Perkone
Caldari State
#46 - 2013-05-20 08:51:41 UTC
Off-grid boosting is fine. It's POS-boosting that should diaf.
Roime
Shiva Furnace
#47 - 2013-05-20 08:51:47 UTC
Andski wrote:

She uses neutral boosters against wardecced carebears in hisec, it's pretty safe to disregard her opinions in this matter.

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#48 - 2013-05-20 08:52:09 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Stacking ECCM makes them pretty difficult to find, even when there's no POS in the equation.

The probe chance math needs to be reworked to diminish the role sensor strength has in the equation. I'm sorry but turning "impossible to probe" into "impossible to probe without a full virtue set and probing hardwirings with perfect probing skills" wasn't a good solution.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#49 - 2013-05-20 08:54:27 UTC
And I say that as somebody who has done the whole "boost from a safespot in a loki with a full jackal set" thing. It's completely broken.

Roime
Shiva Furnace
#50 - 2013-05-20 08:57:19 UTC
You don't need Virtues after Odyssey, just pile on the new T2 probing mods on a Buzzard or Helios, even probing skills were buffed.

Combat probing is about to get a massive buff

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#51 - 2013-05-20 08:58:42 UTC
QuakeGod wrote:
Making the command modules work on-grid only shouldn't be hard to implement at all. All they have to do is make the command modules have a radius or range of 100km or so. If you are outside of that range, you no longer receive the benefits.

And you base this statement on what knowledge and experience?

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Destiny Corrupted
#52 - 2013-05-20 09:00:28 UTC
Roime wrote:
Andski wrote:

She uses neutral boosters against wardecced carebears in hisec, it's pretty safe to disregard her opinions in this matter.

Hello, alt of previous victim. Nice to see you.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

Chokichi Ozuwara
Perkone
Caldari State
#53 - 2013-05-20 09:01:40 UTC
If you want to make a miner spit the dummy, tell him that Rorq bonuses will have to be ongrid after Odyssey.

Pure comedy.

Tears will be shed and pants will need to be changed all round.

Destiny Corrupted
#54 - 2013-05-20 09:04:29 UTC
Chokichi Ozuwara wrote:
If you want to make a miner spit the dummy, tell him that Rorq bonuses will have to be ongrid after Odyssey.

Pure comedy.

You know, I was saving that in case this thread hit page 5 or so. Thanks for ruining everything.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#55 - 2013-05-20 09:27:59 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:

If incoming damage exceeds your hitpoints in a small time frame, logistics quality doesn't really matter much. I don't do 0.0 stuff anymore, but I'm gonna go ahead and assume that forty or more ships shooting you with 1400mm is going to be an instant death no matter what kind of tank you have on a booster, generally speaking.

We already have command ships in our fleets and they do just fine. If they have the power to alpha a ship with more EHP than most battleships then your fleet has bigger issues to worry about.
Veshta Yoshida
PIE Inc.
Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris
#56 - 2013-05-20 10:10:11 UTC
QuakeGod wrote:
Making the command modules work on-grid only shouldn't be hard to implement at all. All they have to do is make the command modules have a radius or range of 100km or so. If you are outside of that range, you no longer receive the benefits.

Range will probably be part of the solution, but it cannot be the only one :becauseGridFu:. CCP would have to either declare grid manipulation an exploit or redesign the entire thing to stop it .. the former is just bad game management (and would be threadnaughted in a heartbeat) and the latter would suck up an insane amount of Dev hours.
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
What are they going to do, make boosting non-corp-members give you a suspect flag?

Oh, ****.

Suspect flag = more work for Concord (they are the ones tracking/bestowing it). Why would they ever agree to such a thing when they can just as easily deny access to advanced military command and control assets while under their umbrella (ie. all non-mining links can't activate or counts as aggression)? .. they already disallowed carriers/dreads and their cynos so the precedent is there Big smile

Destiny Corrupted
#57 - 2013-05-20 10:22:46 UTC
Actually, caps were disallowed in high-sec due to the very specific reason of CONCORD not being, uh, "competent" enough to deal with them, let's just say. Now that CONCORD has been a kill trigger form a couple of years, I see no reason why they shouldn't reverse that change (that's not true, I actually see a lot of reasons). I, for one, am looking forward to our new God Squad titan overlords.

Xpaulusx
Naari LLC
#58 - 2013-05-20 10:48:09 UTC
I think its more about risk, a T3 booster sitting inside a POS has little or no risk getting hit. I think CCP wants to end that. Which is a good move imo. You want to give boost to a fleet, you assume the same risk as them.

Destiny Corrupted
#59 - 2013-05-20 10:50:50 UTC
Posting to confirm that all successful military forces put their top leaders in shiny vehicles and send them to the front lines during actual combat operations.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#60 - 2013-05-20 11:14:15 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Posting to confirm that all successful military forces put their top leaders in shiny vehicles and send them to the front lines during actual combat operations.

General Dannat used to fly to the front line in Afghanistan bumming tabs off squaddies in a chinook to see the lads off.

Prince Harry flew in an Apachi in his second tour of afghan.

Prince Andrew flew a Linx in the Falklands war.

Admiral Sir John Jellicoe was on HMS Iron Duke at the battle of Jutland.

Lord Nelson was in the heart of the battle of Trafalgar on HMS Victory.