These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

AFK Mining

First post
Author
Centurion Dorn
Superluminal Industries
#21 - 2013-05-16 11:01:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Centurion Dorn
Haulie Berry wrote:
Danni stark wrote:
you want a covetor with cargo expanders.

yes, you'll need V in all the scanning skills to be able to probe down ice sites.

This is bull **** advice.

Thatsthejoke.jpg

Also, tell us which system you'll be AFK mining in please. For.... research. Yeah.
Lugues Slive
Diamond Light Industries
#22 - 2013-05-16 20:55:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Lugues Slive
I would recommend the ultimate high secsec AFK mining beast. Grab an Orca, rig it for mining drones. Fit it with drone navigation comps and link augmentors. Lock 5 different roids, send 1me drone at each. 429m3/s, 120km range, almost 2hr to fill ore hold.
Ersahi Kir
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#23 - 2013-05-16 22:32:15 UTC
AFK high sec ore mining doesn't work very well because the rocks pop too quickly. That's why most of the afk miners do ice; they don't have to unload as often (lower m3 yield on ice harvesters) and the rocks don't disappear every other cycle.

For AFK ice mining this is what I would use:

procurer
highs
Ice harvester II

mids
meta 4 medium shield extender
cheapest em hardener (meta 0 or 2)
cheapest thermal hardener (meta 0 or 2)
cheapest invulnerability field (meta 0 or 2)

lows
cheapest damage control
ice harvesting upgrade II

rigs
[none]x3

That ship will take 20+ minutes to fill up 12k m3 of ice. It's also very unattractive to gankers because it's really cheap to fit (~15m) but has a very beefy tank. The rigs do add quite a bit of ehp, but also double the price tag of the ship. If you're looking at doing some afk mining this is what I would suggest.

If you really want to rig it up I would try this:
2xshield extenders
1xice harvester rig
Marsan
#24 - 2013-05-17 00:41:45 UTC
Esharan wrote:
I'm pretty sure none of you read my post.

I DO NOT WANT TO MINE ICE.

Are regular belts getting removed to scanable sites too, or will they still be regular belts in systems?

We read your post. It's not our fault you can't AFK mine effectively with anything other than ice, and even is going away. You'll still be able to find rock belts this summer, but even the largest veld rock in HS will deplete within a couple minutes with even the basic strip miners. So you'll need to check in every couple of minutes to retarget, and possibly move. Also grav, and ice sites are going to brain dead simple scan down for anyone.

There are larger rocks, and clouds that you can mine for a very long time, but they aren't found in HS. AFK mining a grav or ladar in in Low Sec, Null Sec or Wormhole space is very dangerous. (Sure I've been known semi-afk mine in cheap alt in clone in cheap ship in a wormhole, but only because I'm on coms while watching TV.) AFK belt mining in Low Sec, or Null Sec is down right suicidal.

Former forum cheerleader CCP, now just a grumpy small portion of the community.

Ireland VonVicious
Vicious Trading Company
#25 - 2013-05-17 02:19:20 UTC
Let me give you what you are looking for:

You want a 0.9 as close to jita as you can find. Use the in game map.
You want a retriever with T2 mining drones.
This will allow you to mine the best you can with out major gank risk or rats.

Your fit should look like this:

Three mining upgrades in the lows.

Survey scanner in the mid slot.

T2 modulated strip miners.
Make sure to bring only the crystal types needed.
T1 strip miner is o.k. too if your a.f.k. is rather long.

Two drone mining augmentors in the rigs.
Processor over clocking unit in the last rig.

Make sure to use the survey scanner.
Split your drones into two groups.
Make sure to have four active targets being mined when you a.f.k.

The Retriever is the only ship with a big enough ore hold to do this job other then the Mackinaw which is just asking to get ganked if you use it for this purpose.
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#26 - 2013-05-18 17:24:48 UTC
... waits for the Freighter buff to include a "Hi" slot to facilitate AFK mining ... Roll

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Haulie Berry
#27 - 2013-05-18 17:30:56 UTC
Centurion Dorn wrote:
Haulie Berry wrote:
Danni stark wrote:
you want a covetor with cargo expanders.

yes, you'll need V in all the scanning skills to be able to probe down ice sites.

This is bull **** advice.

Thatsthejoke.jpg

Also, tell us which system you'll be AFK mining in please. For.... research. Yeah.

I feel like maybe you did not read the rest of my post.
Cyrus Sarn
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#28 - 2013-05-19 01:50:38 UTC
If you AFK mine in any barge but a procurer or skiff and you'll get what you deserve.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#29 - 2013-05-19 16:00:07 UTC
Cyrus Sarn wrote:
If you AFK mine... you'll get what you deserve.

Fixed that for you.

AFK Mining is at odds with all acceptable standards and is not a recommended practice.

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Kult Altol
The Safe Space
#30 - 2013-05-19 17:18:18 UTC
Bestower with a mining laser

[u]Can't wait untill when Eve online is Freemium.[/u] WiS only 10$, SP booster for one month 15$, DPS Boost 2$, EHP Boost 2$ Real money trading hub! Cosmeitic ship skins 15$ --> If you don't [u]pay **[/u]for a product, you ARE the [u]**product[/u].

Carniflex
StarHunt
Mordus Angels
#31 - 2013-05-22 07:57:53 UTC
Take a look at L4 mining and hauling missions. Some of these can be reasonably AFK friendly activities. Although as usual with AFK style gameplay the rewards are not that stellar ofc.

Here, sanity... niiiice sanity, come to daddy... okay, that's a good sanity... THWONK! GOT the bastard.

Untanas Volmyr
Perkone
Caldari State
#32 - 2013-05-23 22:33:39 UTC
I had the guts to try pvp. But afk mining sounds like crazy talk sir!

Murphy's Technology Law - If your not thoroughly confused. Then you were not thoroughly informed.

Previous page12