These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Just started playing saying hello

First post
Author
Atevii Zee
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2013-05-19 03:04:13 UTC
Just started playing, and after much research I think ill be doing faction warfare, what are some good and bad things involved with this that I should know about before i Jump in.

Thanks in advance
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-05-19 03:18:30 UTC
Atevii Zee wrote:
Just started playing, and after much research I think ill be doing faction warfare, what are some good and bad things involved with this that I should know about before i Jump in.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to New Eden. Today's hot tip: don't dive into FW without really checking it out first. Know what you're getting yourself into before you get into it. P

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Dub Step
Death To Everyone But Us
#3 - 2013-05-19 03:19:48 UTC
Hello.

As far as in-game goes. Factional Warfare is a good mix of PVP and PVE at the moment so get involved there and see how it goes!

I hope you have a thick skin. This game is full of cretins that think it's their right to be complete mongoloids. If someone acts like a pleb, its probably because they are complete failures at life.

That said, there are some pretty cool people out there too, seek them out and just learn to pity the general 'community'.

P.S. Moderation on these forums are a joke. Don't waste your time with losers.
Jarod Garamonde
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2013-05-19 03:22:52 UTC
Atevii Zee wrote:

Thanks in advance

You're not going to like trying to jump into a fleet, in FW. The trouble with FW is everyone that does FW is paranoid as hell of spies.

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

[#savethelance]
floating in space
#5 - 2013-05-19 03:25:28 UTC
I think that depends on the faction. Anyway, if that's true.. you're not going to like EVE very much.
Maggeridon Thoraz
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2013-05-19 03:30:28 UTC
welcome to eve.
pro tip:

dont get alts and specialize them. you will regret it the day ccp takes out the nerf hammer and make your nice specialized toons crap :-)
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#7 - 2013-05-19 03:54:58 UTC  |  Edited by: silens vesica
'ALLO! MY NAME IS INIGO...
*ahem*
Right. Sorry about that...

The game is also full of self-righteous people with inflated egos.
Dub Step wrote:

I hope you have a thick skin. This game is full of cretins that think it's their right to be complete mongoloids. If someone acts like a pleb, its probably because they are complete failures at life.

That said, there are some pretty cool people out there too, seek them out and just learn to pity the general 'community'.

P.S. Moderation on these forums are a joke. Don't waste your time with losers.

See... Here is a good example.*

Some of the above advice is good (Thick skin - Check! Cool folks - Check!) and some of it is well... Bad (Cheesy pop-psychology - Down check! Forum whinging - Double down-check!)

Here are the bottom lines:
Don't fly what you can't afford to lose.
Don't whinge about losses - you *will* get ganked, and whinging about it *will* attract trolls. Unless you *like* troll-baiting; then have at it!
Don't protest game moderation on the fora - CCP won't answer you here, and you will - again - attract trolls. Again - Unless you like that kinda thing.
If you find yourself not having fun, do something different.

Carry on, fly smart, have fun!

*Myself , also.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#8 - 2013-05-19 05:35:51 UTC
Hello, please come to lowsec so I can shoot you! Faction Warfare is an excellent choice - easy isk and lots of fights. But be prepared to die often as you learn.

And you should join a noob-friendly FW corp.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Sishen Gzi
Hellion Support Services
#9 - 2013-05-19 05:47:19 UTC
You can do Factional Warfare, it's easy, I'll teach you, you should join our corp, the application fee is a low 250 million isk discounted since you are new, send that now and contract over your possessions so our hauler can move you and we can get started right away
EvEa Deva
Doomheim
#10 - 2013-05-19 06:38:17 UTC
Sishen Gzi wrote:
You can do Factional Warfare, it's easy, I'll teach you, you should join our corp, the application fee is a low 250 million isk discounted since you are new, send that now and contract over your possessions so our hauler can move you and we can get started right away

I don't think someone who just started has 250 million isk, just sayin.
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#11 - 2013-05-19 06:53:12 UTC  |  Edited by: silens vesica
Oh, and beware of scams.

Just sayin'. Blink

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Sishen Gzi
Hellion Support Services
#12 - 2013-05-19 07:02:12 UTC
EvEa Deva wrote:
Sishen Gzi wrote:

For a plex we have a deluxe package
Vera Algaert
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2013-05-19 07:02:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Vera Algaert
EvEa Deva wrote:
Sishen Gzi wrote:

a newbie could easily have 250m by having created his account via the buddy program and getting a 50/50 split on the PLEX reward.

or he could just have bought a PLEX or two to jumpstart his career in EVE (you'd be surprised how common this is).

whether spending that money on a "recruitment fee" would be a wise choice is an unrelated issue... Blink

Some Rando
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2013-05-19 07:05:10 UTC
Atevii Zee wrote:

Train cloaking and fit multiple warp stabs, that's how all the mad people say Faction Warfare is properly done.

CCP has no sense of humour.

Jadzia Idaris Devereaux
Perkone
Caldari State
#15 - 2013-05-19 08:27:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Jadzia Idaris Devereaux
Hello and welcome to New Eden. Factional war fair is a great way to start. (before you jump into it tho i would recommend at least training up a few million sp in combat skills and ships skils. and doing at least the tutorial missions to get a grasp and understanding of the core game play n some free ships to sell.)

As far as the community goes like real life theres some creepies and some not so bad people. Get a thick skin. Dont bait into the trolls. Fly what your willing to have destroyed.

Other then that we hope you enjoy your stay fly Dangerous.
Darvaleth Sigma
Imperial Security Hegemony
#16 - 2013-05-19 08:33:37 UTC
I've been back in militia for three days, and already had more fun than months of incursions. Yesterday FC got drunk and dropped Carriers and Titans down when the supporting fleet was comprised of about 10 T1 frigates, 3 dessies, 5 cruisers, 2 drakes, and 20-odd Gallente spies. Heck, it got to a point where the support fleet got so disorganised that two Carriers were just sitting there by themselves.

People will be paranoid of spies, but that's because they're a very real threat. We ran into several sudden-gatecamps in systems that never have them normally, courtesy of the Gallente spies.

Give a man a match and you warm him for a day.

Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#17 - 2013-05-19 08:56:54 UTC
Atevii Zee wrote:

Thanks in advance

what what who are you what what do you want you want money or something I don't know

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

David Caldera
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2013-05-19 09:10:04 UTC
Hello, and welcome to EVE!

EVE is a great game, but it really helps to find a good corporation (space may be lonely, but that is why you fly with friends) and havea general idea of what you want to do with the game early on (PvE? PvP? Trading? Industry? Exploration?) and read up on the essentials for that profession and adjust your skill plan accordingly.

I'm an FW pilot myself. If you want, feel free to add me to your contacts and contact me in-game. I can tell you about my personal experiences with FW and explain how the system works, and you can decide where you want to go from there. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions!

Safe flight,
David
jackncoke
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2013-05-19 09:17:39 UTC
Wellcome to EVE.

Bitter vet advice: have fun :)

Basicly everyoen has diferent defintion of "fun" and thats what makes this game so great. You can do pritty what ever you want and have fun, as long as its your definition of fun.

You feel like joining FW ?

Great !

Try it, if you fail you will learn.
If you prevail, more power to you.

I would however advise on trying to find a noob friendly corp. Thats what kept me in game all these years.
Good corp is realy important. Or at least it was for me.

Flying solo usually means death. At least in the begining.

Patrakele
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2013-05-19 10:41:11 UTC
Save yourself. I'ts too late for us, but you can still escape!
12Next page