These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

why do the manufactured ships cost the same as the materials?

Author
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#21 - 2013-05-17 10:17:11 UTC
Lemok Sonji wrote:
You are also assuming that everyone are getting the minerals at market price.

Most high-sec corporations are giving their members a "ore buy program", which means their members mine, and the indy people are buying those minerals at market minus a certain percent, between 5 to 10.
Add to that the manufacturing profit %, and you get those 10-20% profit margins.

Just a simple math.

And stupid math.

Because they could just resell the minerals at market prices.

MIMAF in another form.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

RJander
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2013-05-17 11:42:37 UTC  |  Edited by: RJander
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Lemok Sonji wrote:

Most high-sec corporations are giving their members a "ore buy program", which means their members mine, and the indy people are buying those minerals at market minus a certain percent, between 5 to 10.
Add to that the manufacturing profit %, and you get those 10-20% profit margins.

Just a simple math.

And stupid math.

MIMAF in another form.

Yep.. but not everybody are seeking for best return.. it's a deal between members.. "you do that form me, i do that for you" building some stuff like orca, missionship or mack (or whatever) for nothing or less.. and they are happy to do so together..
but you right, they can sell all the minerals et buy stuff from that money..

Other are just playing a pixelgame, and don't give a s*** about money.. just blowing stuff..
Not like guys in Market et S&I forum, who play this game because it's a permanent brainstorm and enjoy that Roll
Danari
Syncore
#23 - 2013-05-17 12:29:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Danari
Going back the past six months, my GP% for some selected ships are:

Most profitable, Apoc, 7.9%
Best GP, 2nd most profitable, Prophecy, 13.3%
Most factory efficient, Abaddon, 5.7%

Of course, maxed skills, advanced processes around supply chain management, very well capitalised. I do have rules in place to hold my ships back when margins or supply tighten, but given the Apoc is my #2 most profitable item overall I obviously don't hold back that much.
Quinzel Nikulainen
Kokako Acquisitions
#24 - 2013-05-17 13:58:59 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Lemok Sonji wrote:

Just a simple math.

And stupid math.

MIMAF in another form.

This. This, this.

I was in the middle of trying to articulate why this was stupid and actually had a fairly comprehensive post written out, but then I became overcome with irrational anger and hurled my computer tower through the office window.

Now I'm fired.

******* MIMAF crowd.

Ex-Kaalakiota citizen. Ex-Hyasyoda citizen. CEO of KŌKAK, a Nugoeihuvi affiliate corporation.

Secret Squirrell
Allied Press Intergalactic
#25 - 2013-05-17 14:32:27 UTC
Since I didn't see it mentioned, in addition to production efficiency 5, you pretty much need a well researched blueprint to manufacture ships at a profit.

Also, for many manufacturers, they are sufficiently capitalized that the isk/hour/manufacturing slot metric matters more then the profit margin.
Milan Nantucket
Doomheim
#26 - 2013-05-17 14:48:10 UTC
Minerals are free if you mine them yourself Pirate
Bugsy VanHalen
Society of lost Souls
#27 - 2013-05-17 14:55:40 UTC
Drachiel wrote:
The usual margin on industry is between 10% and 20%

However, the ships have their own (minor) price swings and trends which are independent of mineral prices

The reverse is also true, swings and trends in mineral prices may not affect a given ship without considerable delay

Dominix for example is VERY profitable to build right now and I envy all Domi BPO owners.

Not to mention the mineral market fluctuations not just between values of minerals but location as well. Just because a mineral costs a certain amount to buy in Jita does not mean that is what the ship builder paid for it. Many ship builders get their minerals through buy orders in remote systems with really good mineral supply, these orders can be well below jita prices. Combine that with the waste reduction of not only having production efficiency 5 but also a well researched BPO you can make at least10% profit just on the saved materials.

So if you buy the minerals 5% cheaper, have the skills and researched BPO's to reduce the building requirements by 10%, and sell the ship at a 20% markup it may look like you only have a 5% markup, when really you are making 20%. Many will argue that this 20% is not manufacturing profit, and not all of it is, but profit is profit. if you want to build ships, and you can find cheap minerals, and save costs by researching your BPO's, you are putting more profit in your pocket regardless of where it comes from.
Skydell
Bad Girl Posse
#28 - 2013-05-17 14:58:14 UTC
Material prices are also inflated to deter competition. All manufacturing in EVE requires a real buyer. There are no vendor sales. Often times making the sale is as much a part of the battle as making a profit. Nobody manufactures from Jita. Something they obtained was put in to the product and they would have a difficult time getting rid of it as a product in itself.

I own several blueprints and I keep stocks of minerals to make those items. I do this as back up for myself. It's a security system for me, a way to replace my own fleets if the need comes up. As long as I can buy them cheaper than I can make them, I will do so but I have the resources to 'take care of my own' if it comes to that.
Airto TLA
Acorn's Wonder Bars
#29 - 2013-05-17 15:00:20 UTC
Tauranon wrote:
Airto TLA wrote:
ONe last issue, is it maybe easier to make a ship and fly it to the local trade hub than it is to haul the minerals to the hub, so you can buy the minerals cheaper locally using buy orders, build ship and fly ship to hub, fly shuttle back. So these people are using 10-20 off of local BUY orders, Rather than HUB Sell orders.

Ships get stacked into a freighter and dragged to the hub in bulk. buy orders for minerals at the hub are the same as buy orders for minerals elsewhere but they usually fill faster, and since the freighter is hauling to the hub anyway, hauling the mins back is not an issue - both way loads for a freighter are desirable. Although ships are smaller than their mins, and thus could take less trips, if you do that, you add risk (and you end up with empty freighter trips).

In fact my main efficiency issues is that one mineral order won't fill and that one mineral will inevitably not be a highsec mineral. The next biggest efficiency issue is that I own more bpo's than I currently have characters building, and I own some currently unprofitable bpos, so I often have capital tied up in stuff that isn't making me money.

You are assuming a frieghter and a pilot that can fly a freighter, that is not necsessarily automatic, that level of industry requires multiple billions in capital for the buy orders, the freighter, the unsold production inventory, etc. Some people just putter in industry, mine some minerals, refine modules, but a few cheap locally just becasue and a battleship you can already fly which can make the run to the hub for sale is faster for a once or twice a week is faster and less capital intesive than a huge production run and and less tedious than freighter operations. Obviosly this is only relevant in slow turn over markets where a few dozen "hobbyist" can materially impact the volume for sale.
Mu-Shi Ai
Hosono House
#30 - 2013-05-17 15:36:10 UTC
Bugsy VanHalen wrote:
Not to mention the mineral market fluctuations not just between values of minerals but location as well. Just because a mineral costs a certain amount to buy in Jita does not mean that is what the ship builder paid for it. Many ship builders get their minerals through buy orders in remote systems with really good mineral supply, these orders can be well below jita prices. Combine that with the waste reduction of not only having production efficiency 5 but also a well researched BPO you can make at least10% profit just on the saved materials.

So if you buy the minerals 5% cheaper, have the skills and researched BPO's to reduce the building requirements by 10%, and sell the ship at a 20% markup it may look like you only have a 5% markup, when really you are making 20%. Many will argue that this 20% is not manufacturing profit, and not all of it is, but profit is profit. if you want to build ships, and you can find cheap minerals, and save costs by researching your BPO's, you are putting more profit in your pocket regardless of where it comes from.

Just as minerals you mine yourself aren't free, minerals you manage to purchase for X% less than hub cost aren't worth only what you happened to pay for them. Cost basis doesn't necessarily equal actual value. If ships are trading very near hub mineral price, then the only value you actually CREATE by manufacturing ships with your regionwide-purchased minerals is the difference between the ship sell price and the hub mineral price. The rest of your "profit" would have been covered just by selling your minerals at the hub straightaway, rather than putting all that unnecessary time and effort into building the ships, transporting them, etc.
Dracnys
#31 - 2013-05-17 16:17:29 UTC
To give the economics 101 answer:

Producers will enter the market as long as there is a profit to be made (mineral cost+opportunity cost>sell price). With more producers the market price will go down, until it is equal to the mineral cost+opportunity cost. This is called the equilibrium price. For manufacturing battleships this could be somewhere between 5-10% above mineral cost. At that time no more producers will enter or leave the market.

What do I mean by opportunity cost?
The producer has to spend time to buy minerals, move them to his factory, make a few hundred clicks, move the finished ships back to market and play the 0.01 ISK game to sell them. He could do something else with that time. He also needs to invest capital into the blueprint and the minerals.
Hune Orphious
Orphious Trading Partners
#32 - 2013-05-17 16:34:59 UTC
Harry Forever wrote:
normally a manufactured ship should be at least 20-50% more expensive, it seems like the manufacturers do not want to have a margin on what they do, for me it does not make sense to manufacture if selling the raw material gives the same profit

You are simplifying the entire equation into some economic law you saw once. There is no reason that the ships should command a 20-50% valuation upon cost. There is neither a scarcity of producers nor a high barrier to entry. Many are produced so cheaply because many people decided they wanted to build ships and are willing to do so for very small margins. Yet more produce ships at a LOSS because they do not run the figures and fail to realize that the ships they produce with their mined/bought materials are not free, and they would make more money just selling the resources.
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2013-05-17 17:26:54 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:

to resell the minerals you just mined you need:
1. get ore into station
2. refine ore
3. haul minerals to trading hub
4a. organize sell orders and babysit it until it sold
4b. drop minerals into existing buy orders
4a and 4b paths have their own pros and cons.

All by all this is EFFORT and TIME. You just exchange this to some amount of ISK which would be taken by other players.

From corporation point it looks even more stupid:
even bought minerals from sell orders, used BPC from public contracts i build ship for few millions less than if i buy it from market buy orders. Reduce mineral prices by 10-15% and you have good profit for your corp.

Steve Ronuken wrote:
MIMAF in another form.

or you just never mined and never managed it.

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
#34 - 2013-05-17 18:55:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Steve Ronuken
I've mined.

I've managed people mining.

You don't see where you're throwing isk away, when you build a ship, and sell it below the value of the minerals on the open market?

That's hardly a 'good profit'.

That's a 'marginal profit, because you're sponging off your miners'

And just to rebut a little:

you still have to:
1. get ore into station
2. refine ore
3. Ship the finished goods to a station. Sure, the volume will often be lower. But then again, you're then burning your own time to do it. if you're using someone like Red Frog, you still cap out at 1 billion. That's full freighter of trit to move.
4a: Sell the goods. Of course, as you're throwing away your isk, not so much baby sitting is needed.
4b: sell to a buy order. This is generally less of an option, unless you're in jita.

There are people like me out there who check for minerals in their vicinity, not just jita. And will pay Jita sell order prices, as long as you're trying to sell millions of units at a time.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Daimar Lavode
#35 - 2013-05-17 22:13:50 UTC
Dracnys wrote:
To give the economics 101 answer:

Producers will enter the market as long as there is a profit to be made (mineral cost+opportunity cost>sell price). With more producers the market price will go down, until it is equal to the mineral cost+opportunity cost. This is called the equilibrium price. For manufacturing battleships this could be somewhere between 5-10% above mineral cost. At that time no more producers will enter or leave the market.

What do I mean by opportunity cost?
The producer has to spend time to buy minerals, move them to his factory, make a few hundred clicks, move the finished ships back to market and play the 0.01 ISK game to sell them. He could do something else with that time. He also needs to invest capital into the blueprint and the minerals.

To extend that a little further, the Economics 101 answer also assumes knowledgeable and logical producers. People playing the game that love building ships may be neither. Those people may supplement their income through mission running, mining, exploration, scamming, etc. and not even know they are not making a profit or enough profit to justify producing.
Milegherete
Raging Angels
#36 - 2013-05-18 02:50:55 UTC
What i mine is free right? So i get 100% markup all times yo...
Mu-Shi Ai
Hosono House
#37 - 2013-05-18 03:32:06 UTC
Milegherete wrote:
What i mine is free right? So i get 100% markup all times yo...

This stopped being funny long ago.
Danari
Syncore
#38 - 2013-05-18 16:45:13 UTC
Secret Squirrell wrote:
Since I didn't see it mentioned, in addition to production efficiency 5, you pretty much need a well researched blueprint to manufacture ships at a profit.

Also, for many manufacturers, they are sufficiently capitalized that the isk/hour/manufacturing slot metric matters more then the profit margin.

Factory isk/hour matters less than you think. When I added Apoc and Abaddon to my portfolio, the mineral requirements to keep them fed skyrocketed. I'm one of the biggest if not the biggest T1 producer in Amarr (Red Frog tells me I'm their second largest customer in the game so I'm not a small producer by any measure) and it took well over a year to properly capitalise just these two blueprints. Just because a blueprint pays 500-1000k/hr in factory time doesn't mean you can keep it flowing indefinitely.

It's a delicate game on the supply side, and I'm continually having to hold back on the sales side in order to keep higher margin items (rigs) flowing without disruption. These higher margin items nominally are less efficient through the factory, but that's academic if you can't keep up on the supply side.
xPredat0rz
Project.Nova
The Initiative.
#39 - 2013-05-19 04:06:39 UTC
so basically the smart thing to do would to be build/buy a metric **** ton of these lower cost battleships and relist/reprocess them for profits.

I used X amount to build it yesterday and i get Y amount today. Would this not create minerals out of thin air?
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
#40 - 2013-05-19 04:14:05 UTC
xPredat0rz wrote:
so basically the smart thing to do would to be build/buy a metric **** ton of these lower cost battleships and relist/reprocess them for profits.

I used X amount to build it yesterday and i get Y amount today. Would this not create minerals out of thin air?

The changes to ship build materials were done using 'extra' materials. These are not returned when you recycle the ship.

(specifically so people couldn't go and create trillions worth of minerals with the release)

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Previous page123Next page