These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Linux

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE, Linux, Intel HD4000

Author
Greg Arosa
Sebiestor Tribe
#1 - 2013-05-17 09:53:58 UTC
I've been looking for a new laptop for some time now, and ended up with two choices - Fujitsu p772 and Thinkpad x230. They have nearly identical hardware inside, which includes ivy core i7 cpu and hd4000 video chip.

The question is - did anybody try to run EVE on that kind of stuff? I've been successfully playing on an older macbook air (sandy bridge, I think), and it handled max settings (without AA though) just fine, but I still have doubts regarding Linux (crappy drivers, you know). Any suggestions?
Nebu Retski
Lead Farmers
#2 - 2013-05-17 10:10:46 UTC
Greg Arosa wrote:
I've been looking for a new laptop for some time now, and ended up with two choices - Fujitsu p772 and Thinkpad x230. They have nearly identical hardware inside, which includes ivy core i7 cpu and hd4000 video chip.

The question is - did anybody try to run EVE on that kind of stuff? I've been successfully playing on an older macbook air (sandy bridge, I think), and it handled max settings (without AA though) just fine, but I still have doubts regarding Linux (crappy drivers, you know). Any suggestions?

My opinion is, don't go for integrated intel GFX if you want to do some gaming on the laptop in linux. The intel drivers for linux tend not to have all functionality implemented and it can take a while before some functionality that you need gets implemented or in some cases it will never get implemented.

If I were you I would look around for a laptop with approximately the same specs, but with an NVIDIA gfx card (or nvidia+intel combo). It will most likely be a bit more expensive though.
Greg Arosa
Sebiestor Tribe
#3 - 2013-05-17 10:16:23 UTC
Nebu Retski wrote:
My opinion is, don't go for integrated intel GFX if you want to do some gaming on the laptop in linux. The intel drivers for linux tend not to have all functionality implemented and it can take a while before some functionality that you need gets implemented or in some cases it will never get implemented.

I'm aware of this part. Just want some feedback from people who already tried this.

Nebu Retski wrote:
If I were you I would look around for a laptop with approximately the same specs, but with an NVIDIA gfx card (or nvidia+intel combo). It will most likely be a bit more expensive though.

The price is not an issue here, in reasonable limits of course. I'm looking for a mobile workstation (<1.5kg) with decent power consumption, and those two laptops are almost ideal for me, except that thinkpad has a crappy keyboard but this can be fixed.
Karti Aivo
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#4 - 2013-05-17 10:49:15 UTC
Here what i wrote in another Topic in this section:

Karti Aivo wrote:
Nebu Retski wrote:
Waruiko wrote:
even if everything in the hanger is pitch black and everything in space is eye-bleed white

Try to install the s3tc library and driconf (maybe, but check on ubuntu forums if is doesn't work ->sudo apt-get install s3tc driconf) then run driconf (I think) from the command line. It should put up a GUI, then find the option to turn on s3tc.

I did it over a year ago so I'm not sure if it still works though.

old forum post

^ This one solved my problem, the rest of this Thread helped me to get it running in the First Place.

Im using a ThinkPad L520 which is Multi-Arch AND uses those god damn Sandybridge GPU junk what Linux/Xserver is really unwilling to work with.
The process of getting EVE running under this Setup was rather tricky, but if there's interest on the Forums i can write it all up.

Yours
Karti

Like stated i use a ThinkPad with integrated Intel GPU and i made it work, but it was a bit tricky.

In general: Debian didnt accept the intel drivers and stayed in VESA all the time, even if you hardcode X Server to use Intel Driver, the result is black screens.

Ubuntu 12.10 did use the right driver but had hard problems detecting the actual GPU i use and detecting that i use multiple Monitors what resulted in max res 1024*; with some workaround i fixed the resolution and made eve running on max performance, but one wine update later it was all screwed. Switching down to Ubuntu 12.04 made stuff easier and with very little tweaks i made eve running flawlessly with max performance settings.

I dont know how 13.04 treats eve. If you want to get EVE running with ubuntu 12.04 on Intel GPU Thinkpads i can rewrite what i did and look at your errors if wanted -

I dont know if the HD4000 stuff will behave differently, i really hope so - but if i had the choice i would avoid Intel GPU's.

Yours
Karti
Greg Arosa
Sebiestor Tribe
#5 - 2013-05-17 11:26:02 UTC
Karti Aivo wrote:
i made eve running flawlessly with max performance settings.

Actually, this is all I wanted to know. Thank you, Karti.