These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Alliance & Corporation Recruitment Center

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Looking to learn nullsec survival and PVP? Then join OUCH!

First post First post
Author
Epsi Lon
Orion Technologies Inc
#681 - 2013-05-16 17:50:51 UTC
Psi Theta wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how some players remain totally oblivious to what goes on around them. Everyday I see pilots jump into system, pause long enough to see they did not jump into a gate camp, and then warp straight to the next gate with no regard for the 18 pilots in local. ...

Pilots, oblivious to their surroundings, continue to lose ships. Pilots who join OUCH, become aware of their surroundings, learn how to avoid threats, and they lose fewer ships.

Many pilots mistakenly think Hi-Sec is safe. The bitter truth is that one is only safe when they're docked in a station. Everyone is a target and Concord can't fully protect anyone. In popular Hi-Sec systems, it is not uncommon to see 80 in local. 79 might be going about their business, but what about the lone griefer who is looking to for an easy target i.e. your expensive barge or industrial along with its expensive cargo.

OUCH teaches pilots to be situationally aware, regardless of where they choose to operate, HiSec, LoSec, or Nulsec. An alert pilot recognizes threats, and is prepared to counter those threats. Such pilots are much less likely to lose their ships.

Which type of pilot do you want to be?
Psi Theta
Enigmatic Conundrum
#682 - 2013-05-18 15:57:46 UTC
So I'm now starting my third week of very little game time due to moving across country, settling into a new home and all that goes along with that. While I have definitely missed shooting players in the face and watching ships explode, I have missed hanging out with my OUCH friends most of all. Our little band of trainers and killer noobs is family in every way (but without the drama). OUCH is a great corp to call home.

Join us.
Psi Theta
Enigmatic Conundrum
#683 - 2013-05-20 23:38:51 UTC
Who in his right mind forms a fleet of ALL Caldari ECM ships? Who is so intent on the killmail representing every type of Caldari ECM that he sends pilots back to reship because we don't have a kitsune, or a scorpion or a widow? Who gets this misbegotten fleet together and then says,"Oh by the way, does anyone have any DPS? X up with your DPS if you have any." Who then names it the Happy Funtime Rainbow Fleet?

Who is this mad, degenerate noob of an FC?

Why, Bren Genzan of course. Leader of a brave noob world, flier of Falcons, and wearer of rainbow tights (only sometimes).

Join us, and wear your Purple Falcon medal with pride.
Elan Traven
Open University of Celestial Hardship
Art of War Alliance
#684 - 2013-05-21 09:19:04 UTC
Join OUCH. Learn to stay alive without losing 30 Rifters in the process. In the process, you'll get to shoot things. There's really nothing to lose here.
Psi Theta
Enigmatic Conundrum
#685 - 2013-05-24 04:11:45 UTC
In the US, this is Memorial Weekend. It is a time set aside for families to gather and honor all those who have served in the Armed Forces.

To all servicemen and women, past and present, thank you. Your sacrifices have given us all the opportunity to live life in freedom and prosperity. God bless you all. You are the very best of us.
Psi Theta
Enigmatic Conundrum
#686 - 2013-05-26 12:59:51 UTC
OUCH chooses to live in NPC nullsec because that's where the action is. There is no mindless SOV structure grinding (not much anyway). There are no vast swaths of empty systems. It is not possible to play nullbear games of semi-afk mining or ratting.

Success in NPC nullsec means true sovereignty by occupation. If you want to carve out your niche here, it means living here. You cannot simply clone jump in every few days to collect your moon goo and PI goods. You have to occupy the space. You have to fight to earn the respect of your neighbors.

Comparing NPC nullsec to SOV space, is like comparing owning investment property in Dubai to living on 6th Street in Austin. You might make a ton of money on the investments property, but 6th Street is where the action is.

Join us. Keep Curse weird.
Xar Solshin
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#687 - 2013-05-27 11:30:51 UTC
I like what you guys offer but I am at a lost of how to join.
Psi Theta
Enigmatic Conundrum
#688 - 2013-05-27 13:29:18 UTC
Xar Solshin wrote:
I like what you guys offer but I am at a lost of how to join.

Thanks for your interest. We accept all applicants.

Join the OUCH recruiting chat channel: ouch-uni. There you can chat with current members and other potential students.

You can join corp by searching in People and Places. Set search on corporation and enter Open University of Celestial Hardship. Right click on the search results and select Show Info. From the corp information window, there is a button "apply to join".

Usually, applications are accepted with just a short time depending upon who is online.

Looking forward to you joining us.

Psi
Psi Theta
Enigmatic Conundrum
#689 - 2013-05-29 09:44:18 UTC
One of our recent graduates posted the following on our forum:

"What OUCH does for students is incredible. YES it's "just a game," but the confidence you teach to people that are willing to learn helps them not only as a pilot, but in their lives. The sense of pride and accomplishment is more than just another acheivement; it opens up an entirely new level of playing EVE than could be reached before. I watched this transition in [name redacted] and I can tell you, just hearing and watching how he transitioned from carebear to combat pilot was a very neat thing to witness."

No need for me to add anything. Join us.
Psi Theta
Enigmatic Conundrum
#690 - 2013-05-30 22:50:51 UTC
As of this month, OUCH has now graduated over 200 students. That may not seem like much considering how long we've been around; however, we do not graduate students following a single class or roam. Graduation from OUCH represents a significant investment of both the player's game time, and the game time of several OUCH instructors. Training consists of nine structured modules which take a total of about 10 hours to complete. Following the classes, students must then successfully negotiate a nullsec gauntlet run, and join our fleets to participate in a specified number of kills. Only then can the student apply for graduation.

Although we accept all applicants, our program is not for everyone. It can be intense. It can be frustrating at times. Depending upon the skills and experience of the student, he may feel as if he's being fed with a fire hose or he may feel he is being forced to crawl at a snail's pace.

But there can be no doubt that our graduates have gained a wealth of knowledge that vastly elevates their play.

Join us. See what we have to offer.

Epsi Lon
Orion Technologies Inc
#691 - 2013-05-31 22:28:47 UTC
Eve is a complex, difficult, and often unforgiving game to learn. If it were as easy as Wow, a few million pilots would be logged in nightly. It takes time, patience, and some tenacity to become proficient in the different areas: industry, mining, trading, pvp, etc. There are so many avenues to explore and each has its own learning curve.

The OUCH program focuses on two popular areas: nulsec survival skills and basic pvp. As with any educational program, students reap what they sow. Those who put in the time to attend modules, apply the lessons taught, and finally practice, practice, practice, reap the greatest benefit.

If you're willing to put in the time, then join us and elevate your game.
Epsi Lon
Orion Technologies Inc
#692 - 2013-06-05 00:03:14 UTC
There is always something to learn in Eve, just look at all the changes introduced in Odyssey. For myself, I'm constantly reminded how much I yet to learn, especially in the area of PvP. I totally ignored PvP for most of my time in Eve, but now I have a new found interest. Thankfully, in OUCH, I have many great pilots to learn from.

There are many ways to learn more about PvP:

1) Just go do it, i.e. learn from the School of Hard Knocks. Buy a bunch of ships and go find some pew-pew. It may be expensive and one should expect to lose a few ships.

2) Search the Internet. There is plenty of information out there, the problem is separating the good advice from the bad.

3) Join a PvP corporation. Eve has many good PvP corporations out there but their focus is not always on training. Focus is often on PvP and while the new guy might get a class or two, much of the learning still comes from the 'School of Hard Knocks'.

4) Eve University offers some self-paced training videos/recordings, sometimes supplemented with student roams. I don't see many instructor led offerings, but I'm also not an expert on Eve Uni.

5) With Agony Unleashed, players can join one of their training classes / roams. These are usually largely attended events as we see Agony blobs regularly roaming Curse.

6) Join OUCH. OUCH exists to train pilots. (This is the option I recommend.)

Highlights of the OUCH program:

• Instructor led classes scheduled weekly. Plenty of time to get good information and ask any questions.
  • Plenty of live-fire PvP 'Out on the Bubble' each week.
  • Active forum with great guides and other training material
  • Active TeamSpeak, where students are welcome to listen in and ask questions
  • An Operations Team that is passionate about the mission of OUCH: Sharing knowledge and experience.

How do you want to learn PvP? Join us!
Psi Theta
Enigmatic Conundrum
#693 - 2013-06-06 01:31:04 UTC
In the world of Internet spaceships, it really doesn't matter whether you think it's all "serious bizness" or you're just in it for casual escape. But for you to get the most enjoyment from the vast sandbox of New Eden, you need to understand the game well enough to accomplish the day's chosen objective.

OUCH will teach you how to travel safely through the most treacherous space lanes, and how to effectively select and engage targets.

Join us. All it will cost you is commitment.
Psi Theta
Enigmatic Conundrum
#694 - 2013-06-12 01:54:39 UTC
Odyssey sure brought a lot of changes. Good? Bad? It all depends upon your personal Eve. That's the beauty of the game. That's the paradigm of the sandbox. Your Eve is very personal, and no two people play the same game.

But no matter what your Eve, and no matter how expansions change the game, Eve is a dangerous place. Nullsec? Lowsec? Hisec? There is NO place even reasonably safe in New Eden.

OUCH can teach you to survive. Teach you to travel through hostile space. And teach you to assess threats and engage targets on your terms, according to your play style.

Join us. We'll teach you to navigate the dangers of New Eden.
Psi Theta
Enigmatic Conundrum
#695 - 2013-06-14 09:02:27 UTC
Those of us for whom the mystery and majesty of New Eden is our siren's call know that we are here for the long haul. We have ambitions, vague they may be, that stretch into the months and even years ahead. We may not know where we will be living this time next year, but we know exactly when we will finish training Advanced Spaceship Command V.

With such a long view on skill points, doesn't it make sense to invest a small portion of your game time to learning actual game mechanics and piloting skills? What if, by spending just a few weeks with an experienced training corp, you could dramatically improve your game? Would you invest the time? No? Well, then we'll see you on the red side of the killboard.

Join us.
Epsi Lon
Orion Technologies Inc
#696 - 2013-06-17 13:45:03 UTC
When I started playing Eve some years back, the concept of the game being a big sandbox was foreign. My previous MMO experience came from EverQuest, DAoC and WOW. Eve was just a cool space based MMO and admittedly the most complex MMO I've played. It was hard for me to grasp that pilots make the rules in Eve. A pilot is free to play the hero, or to be the villain. Pilots are free to adopt any play-style that fits, and fly any ship for which they have the skills/resources.

For example: When I first ventured into null, I fully expected to lose my ship and probably my pod. So, I chose a cheap frigate and used a clone with no implants. My wallet would not sustain a riskier play-style. After a couple losses, I bought a cov-ops frigate thinking a cloak would make navigating nul easier. However, as I quickly discovered, a cloak doesn't offer much advantage if you don't understand the mechanics of nul. I obviously didn't understand how to navigate nul and my ship was soon snared in a dictor bubble and popped.

Surprisingly I see the same behavior exhibited regularly in Curse, only it isn't always in a cheap frigate but often in an expensive transport with a hold full of faction loot, blueprints, exploration loot, etc. Many pilots jump gate-to-gate and land squarely in our bubble. Our merry band is always excited to see a transport ship.; such prizes make our day.

Ouch can help pilots, new or old, better understand nul mechanics, bubbles, and why it is risky to warp gate to gate. Join us, train with us and get tools to more easily navigate nul while reducing the risk to both ship and pod. Our training also covers basic PvP, where you can be the hunter vs the prey. The training is free, and we accept all who apply.

On the other hand, pilots are always welcome to play the game their way. Fly any ship they want, anywhere they want. Jump into nul and have a ball. If that is your play-style, please visit Curse. Traffic has been slow, so fly out and visit our bubble. Our staff and students are eager to entertain you.
Epsi Lon
Orion Technologies Inc
#697 - 2013-06-19 16:00:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Epsi Lon
Our merry group of staff and students recently entertained a player claiming to be 'new to EvE'. One never knows if the pilot was truly ‘new’ or just claiming to be new. In any event, the poor guy landed in our bubble where he was quickly dispatched and provided a fast trip to his home station. Shortly after, he asked , why he was attacked, his ship destroyed, and his pod killed. Welcome to EvE Online; a dangerous place for a new and unprepared pilot.

Anyone who ventures into the hostile space of Eve-Online risks attack the minute their ship enters space. It doesn’t matter if the pilot is in hi-sec, lo-sec, or nul-sec space, everyone is vulnerable. Those who play Eve accept this peril; however, knowledge and skills allow pilots to travel about Eve more safely. OUCH teaches pilots how to avoid and counter the risk of attacks and traps. We teach survival skills, and provide an introduction to pvp. Players may not be interested in, or even desire to engage in pvp; however, it is only a question of when, not if, they find themselves in a pvp situation.

Join us, be prepared!
Epsi Lon
Orion Technologies Inc
#698 - 2013-06-21 18:19:19 UTC
New to Eve Online? Feeling overwhelmed by the depth and breadth of this big sandbox? If so, join OUCH, and let our team show you how to navigate the universe and how to defend yourself when called for. The lessons taught in OUCH will serve you well as you continue your adventures in Eve Online.

Join us.
Neme Orlenard
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#699 - 2013-06-22 06:54:20 UTC
Carebear ? - I was
Bored with only running missons in Hisec? - I was
Ever been in low or null ? -- "too scared there be bogeymen!"

Don't be scared of the bogeyman, become the bogeymanTwisted

Join OUCH, learn how to live in Null and love it
Psi Theta
Enigmatic Conundrum
#700 - 2013-06-24 10:09:24 UTC
Hisec, lowsec, nullsec and W-space. These are the major playgrounds in New Eden. Some are typically considered more dangerous than others, but there is no doubt that all are dangerous. The real difference in these areas is not the degree of danger or likelihood of pod death. The real difference is simply a matter of broad rules of engagement. Oftentimes, the successful pilot is the one who understands the rules of his area of operations. And pod death comes to those who do not understand the mechanics of bubble camps and gate ganks.

While OUCH chooses to play in nullsec, the things you will learn as an OUCH student will prepare you for whatever playground you choose to call home.

Join us. Learn the rules of your chosen sandbox.