These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What did you have for breakfast this morning?

Author
Daradz Navagel
#61 - 2013-05-14 14:33:06 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
*read:endless list of awesome ingredients*
I have not drooled this much, ever.
Brujo Loco
Brujeria Teologica
#62 - 2013-05-14 14:35:41 UTC
silens vesica wrote:

Also:
About a half dozen different flavors of hot sauce - Tobasco brands, mostly, but others as well.

All of this is good ... but if you enjoy Tobasco, please find any Arab styled spice market, and find what they call "HAR" and put it in your favorite dish. Har is a mix of chili with "mystery" spices that give it a powerful spicy yet delicious taste to almost everything and I love it on all kinds of eggs.

Inner Sayings of BrujoLoco: http://eve-files.com/sig/brujoloco

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#63 - 2013-05-14 15:14:40 UTC  |  Edited by: silens vesica
Brujo Loco wrote:
silens vesica wrote:

Also:
About a half dozen different flavors of hot sauce - Tobasco brands, mostly, but others as well.

All of this is good ... but if you enjoy Tobasco, please find any Arab styled spice market, and find what they call "HAR" and put it in your favorite dish. Har is a mix of chili with "mystery" spices that give it a powerful spicy yet delicious taste to almost everything and I love it on all kinds of eggs.

Har is excellent. I don't have any on hand right now, sadly. I do have some Sriracha sauce on hand, though. Twisted

Daradz Navagel wrote:
silens vesica wrote:
*read:endless list of awesome ingredients*
I have not drooled this much, ever.

My work here is well-done. Twisted

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Random McNally
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#64 - 2013-05-14 15:20:30 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
Daradz Navagel wrote:
Cinnamon waffles this morning - Anyone have any good omelette recipes that I could use sometime this week?

Let the cracked eggs come up to room temperature in a bowl, add a dash or milk, cream (or water, if you've got issues with dairy), a small pinch of salt, and some cayenne pepper. Whisk until frothy. Pour into a hot non-stick or lighly oiled pan (I use cast iron - properly seasoned, it's seriously non-stick)

Toss in diced onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, and maybe some sharp cheese. When the edges are papery and bubbles have formed in the middle, slip a thin spatula under the edge and loosen the edges all the way around, then fold the eggs in half. Cook to the desired level of 'done' and slip onto a plate, then top with salsa - I prefer medium-heat peach or mango salsa, but whatever floats your boat.

That's my standard. Variations are endless.

Random McNally wrote:
Omlettes, in my house, are "whats in the fridge today" with eggs and cheese.

Yup.
Diced pepperoni or salami; ham; steak or leftover hamburger; fajita filling; black beans; you name it - the list is endless. I always keep a couple pints worth of diced onions and bell peppers in the freezer, 'cause I add those to everything. I also try to have fresh cilantro and jalepenos on-hand, though I'm the only one in the house that really likes those.

Also:

Pretty much how I do it. Make sure the pan is hot and I even still use a bit of butter. Properly seasoned cast iron is a joy to cook with.

Host of High Drag Podcast. http://highdrag.wordpress.com/

Space music http://minddivided.com

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#65 - 2013-05-14 15:47:49 UTC
Random McNally wrote:

Pretty much how I do it. Make sure the pan is hot and I even still use a bit of butter. Properly seasoned cast iron is a joy to cook with.

Yup. HOT pan is key. I use butter ussually, but will grab the olive oil if it's closer.

I loves me my cast iron cookware. Bear

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Daradz Navagel
#66 - 2013-05-15 13:35:50 UTC
Two egg omelette this morning with pepperjack cheese, and spinach. I feel like I can move mountains now!
Random McNally
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#67 - 2013-05-15 13:39:39 UTC
As a carnivore, I feel thats a great start.

I'd have thrown some meat in there. Blink

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

Daradz Navagel
#68 - 2013-05-16 14:29:34 UTC
Back to a croissant with chocolate this morning! I don't feel right without having chocolate in the morning.
Alice Saki
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#69 - 2013-05-16 14:32:42 UTC
I had... Paperwork....

FREEZE! Drop the LIKES AND WALK AWAY! - Currenly rebuilding gaming machine, I will Return.

Random McNally
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#70 - 2013-05-16 16:34:35 UTC
Alice Saki wrote:
I had... Paperwork....

You should try less fiber, more flavor.

Coffee and Marlboro for me.....again. O.o

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

Daradz Navagel
#71 - 2013-05-17 11:58:00 UTC
The last croissant was devoured this morning. Next up, is to pillage the fridge for bacon.
Harek
Vonlenska
#72 - 2013-05-17 12:42:42 UTC
Novo Denver, CO's locally roasted coffee - Columbia blend, along with Flax + Protein milk and Gluten-Free/Vegan Honey Rice and Fruit cereal sprinkled with tons of cinnamon Shocked
Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#73 - 2013-05-17 14:25:23 UTC
a toasted bagel with cream cheese.
Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#74 - 2013-05-17 14:52:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Khergit Deserters
Black coffee Cry

But this weekend, I'm having hoppin' john for breakfast, both days. It's black eyes peas and rice cooked together with bacon, light spices, and a few vegetables. Here's how you make it:

-Start simmering about a half pound of dry black eye peas.
-Fry up some bacon, crumble it into small pieces.
-Saute green peppers, onions and garlic in a little of the bacon grease. Add that and the bacon to the simmering peas.
-Add salt, black pepper, and just a little coriander, a cumin, and cayenne pepper or paprika.
-Optional: Add any of these if you want-- cilantro, parsley, diced jalapeno, Tabasco.
-When the peas are just starting to get tender, add a cup of long grain rice. Add more water if needed for the rice to cook. Keep simmering until the rice is done.

The tricky part is the timing on when to add the rice. Too late and the peas will overcook and come out mushy. Too early and the rice will overcook while you're getting the peas done. It doesn't matter that much though. Good ingredients in there, it's good eating no matter what.
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#75 - 2013-05-17 17:40:03 UTC  |  Edited by: silens vesica
Bacon; scrambled eggs with cheddar, onions, and green peppers; drop biscuits* (which are NOT cookies!); and lemonade.

*(Probably going to do sausage gravy** over biscuits tomorrow)

Edit:
**(the linked recipe is decent, but I add cayenne as well as black pepper, and a pinch of salt may hlep the flavor. Use cream in place of whole milk - you'll need less, and it comes together faster - The combined gravy+sausage should drip reluctantly from a spoon when done. A nice thing is if you *do* cook it down too much, you can add a bit of milk, and it thins right out again)

Daradz Navagel
#76 - 2013-05-17 19:33:44 UTC
I'm so glad tomorrow is Saturday, so that I can make a proper breakfast for me and my wife. I may even attempt one of the many recipes that I've seen on this thread. Silens - You're a huge source of breakfast inspiration for me!
Daradz Navagel
#77 - 2013-05-19 14:21:53 UTC
Epic Fail this morning: I was up until 0330 EST mining for ore to complete a career agent mission, and feel like a complete zombie today. Cinnamon Toast Waffles and really, really black coffee to kick off today's adventures.Shocked
Alexander Barbarov
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#78 - 2013-05-19 14:37:58 UTC
Bacon Sandwich and a Brew. That is all.
Graygor
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#79 - 2013-05-20 07:15:17 UTC
Whole grain nutty cereal the kind you feed rabbits.

And a glass of iced tea.

Lunch was homemade roast beef sandwiches with mint sauce on the top with 2 slices of apple pound cake.

Dinner shall be whatever i see first in the fridge when i get home at 10pm.

"I think you should buy a new Mayan calendar. Mine has muscle cars on it." - Kenneth O'Hara

"I dont think that can happen, you can see Gray has his invuln field on in his portrait." - Commissar "Cake" Kate

Ryndika Wechob
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#80 - 2013-05-20 21:28:34 UTC
I woke up at dinner time so I cooked italian tortellini helper for everybody.
There's 1/3 in fridge right now but pasta tastes like plastic once you microwave it. *shrug*