These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Odyssey] Clone Costs

First post First post
Author
Skia Aumer
Planetary Harvesting and Processing LLC
#261 - 2013-05-16 06:48:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Skia Aumer
CCP Rise wrote:
A small comment on EVE philosophy from me related to some of the conversation in here:
No one here at CCP wants to reduce consequences in EVE as a whole.

Thank you. It's a good news.

CCP Rise wrote:
The thing we are looking at with clones, is that currently the consequences are attached to something arbitrary (account age) which is potentially causing people to actually engage in less risky behavior overall.

It's not arbitrary, it's to compensate for difference of new and old players.
And it's natural for most people to be inclined to less risky behavior. Good luck with your 30% experiment, but as long as you can see from the comments here - they always find some new excuse to stay docked: implants for example.
Daedra Blue
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#262 - 2013-05-16 06:54:21 UTC
With the recent frigate re-balancing people have been all out doing mad things and having fun, cheap fights are now on the horizon and a fresh start for old bored people is here.

Well not really, many high SP characters are banned from having fun in frigate brawls because their clone costs as much as 30 frigates, such a big no no for the old guys who could bring experience and would love to get their hands dirty because they have quite some huge finances. But even so we didn't get a nice pile of isk by inefficiently spending it on clones.

Do some mechanic with the clones if it so pleases you, i know the ability to lose SP needs to stay in game, but seriously, why can't we have fun with the noobies too? Why do we have to roll alts to take advantage of the most basic ships in game.

REMOVE THE COST COMPLETELY!!!

Or do something nice with the clone mechanic, but allow for disposable warfare clones that need no implants or anything.
vyshnegradsky
The Legion of Spoon
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#263 - 2013-05-16 07:00:27 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:
Quote:
CCP Rise - Why did you not remove them completely?

I'm with you. We talked about it a lot here, and we all would rather make this system better than strip it out completely. I know this is a careful first step, but trust me, we want to do more with it and this is a way for us to act in a more informed way when we are able to more, and in the mean time it eases the pain a bit for you guys.

Something CCP is becoming more serious about (with Fozzie as one of the major champions) is making 'good' changes NOW even if there's some 'perfect' solution somewhere down the line that might take quite awhile to actually happen.

A small idea, CCP wants to integrate the Dust and EvE economies more closely. Now I haven't actually played dust, but from what I've heard they have centers that produce a certain amount of clones per day. These could act as conflict drivers like the moons in EvE, and also provide a way of bridging the two games.

This one's a bit over the edge guys.

Locked for breaking... well, pretty much all the rules.

• CCP Falcon
Bi-Mi Lansatha
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#264 - 2013-05-16 07:37:41 UTC
Sven Viko VIkolander wrote:
... Remove clone costs and remove the skill loss penalty altogether, as they hurt new players in particular...
As a newish player, clone cost are irrelevant. The cost of ships and modules far outweigh clone cost.

This is an issue for toons with higher skill points... and significantly higher clone costs.
LT Alter
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#265 - 2013-05-16 07:49:26 UTC
Can we get auto warnings when our clones have been surpassed in skill points, or when the skill we just queued will surpass our current clone limits. Losing SP and clones like his in the first place seems as a pointless mechanic overall, I just feel it should be more obvious when things like your skill points are at stake.
MainDrain
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#266 - 2013-05-16 07:55:07 UTC
This is probably not the point of the thread but the wording "skill points kept" seems clunky to me, maybe the word preserved, or maybe a phrase to indicate the amount of storage space the clone has (it's capacity in SP)
Shugga Ditz
Chaos Army
#267 - 2013-05-16 10:35:38 UTC
This rocks.

Like you say 30% is a start :o)

To be honest I think clone costs should be removed completely - the cost is (and should be) in the implants.

Some ideas though:

1. Maybe something tying bounties to clones could happen? If you get killed with a bounty on your head, you have to clear the bounty to buy a new clone (up to some respectable limit?)

2. Tie the clone cost to the amount of time since the clone was activated. If you died yesterday, getting podded is cheap. If your clone has been alive 3 months you pay the full price. This would allow my high skilled FW pilot that gets podded erryday to not be such a drain on my wallet, whereas my main that gets podded once a year still stings.

Anyhow much pleased with the change - thanks dudes!!

SK
Tetania
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#268 - 2013-05-16 11:00:08 UTC
It's nice to see this issue getting some attention. I'm one of many pilots who started out in eve making progression decissions based on Everquest / WoW logic, heading straight for my first Battleship with terrible fitting skills etc. Lately I find far more enjoyment in the little ships sub BC. But my clones cost more than the hulls + fits in most cases.

I don't know if totally removing clones is viable I assume from a design perspective you want to impart a sense of value in an older more skilled character. If clone costs can't go away totally what about a one off clone cost as you pass thresholds in training to enable any farther training in that clone? Once paid individual clone losses are free until you need to make another milestone purchase.
Bubanni
Corus Aerospace
#269 - 2013-05-16 11:12:13 UTC
Clone prices below the 93.5 mil clones has always been fine, but they start to get out of hand over 120 mil sp... the problem is really the almost double up in price per clone grade,

Supercap nerf - change ewar immunity https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=194759 Module activation delay! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1180934

Niko Lorenzio
United Eve Directorate
#270 - 2013-05-16 11:12:36 UTC
Great. This is the # 1 reason why I don't venture into nullsec more casually as much as I used to in my early days. My blank clone is 6x the cost of the ship I would mess about with.

The CSM XI Election are now open until March 25th, 2016. Consider Niko Lorenzio for CSM XI.

CSM matters, your voice matters, your vote matters!

Darirol
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#271 - 2013-05-16 13:13:38 UTC
while it makes completly sense to reduce or even remove clone costs, there is one thing you should keep in mind.

without any clone cost, what keeps me from instantly porting a 200 man fleet across eve without any time or isk cost?

oh in venal is a tower under atack, everyone pod express yourself to our venal office, take fleet doctrin x ships and go. and after that is done we wanted to finish that sov fight in delve. everyone podexpress to our corp office in 319 and pick the ships you have there.
oh and after that we podexpress to pure blind and harass goons a bit. and that all within 1 hour.

i thought everyone in the csm/ccp and most of the players agreed that force projection and risk free instant travel (jumpbridges, titan bridges, jumpfreighter, or podexpress for no cost) is the root of all 0.0 problems.

especially pilots and groups of pilots with advanced skillpoints and organisation would gain even more power from free podexpress.
Meditril
Hoplite Brigade
Ushra'Khan
#272 - 2013-05-16 13:16:59 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:
If you have any feedback related to the clone system (especially in terms of how it affects your play-style) we would love to hear from you.

Clone costs are really one reason (of the many reasons) for me why I do not like going 0.0. In low sec you can avoid losing your clone with high probability, but in 0.0 you almost lose it every time you run into a bubble. This is not fun for older characters like me where even without any implants you easily spend several 10 M ISK if not even 100 M ISK for a new clone.
MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#273 - 2013-05-16 14:28:29 UTC
Skia Aumer wrote:
And it's natural for most people to be inclined to less risky behavior. Good luck with your 30% experiment, but as long as you can see from the comments here - they always find some new excuse to stay docked: implants for example.

yeah well you have a JC with a clean clone. cant say the same about sp...

fingers crossed they go for the player made clones thang...

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Jezza McWaffle
Lazerhawks
L A Z E R H A W K S
#274 - 2013-05-16 14:39:01 UTC
Maybe you should be able to have a dedicated 'Combat Clone' (as mentioned before) which is free and comes with no skill point limit (can jump in and out of say every 4 hours) but you CANNOT put implants on it?

Wormholes worst badass | Checkout my Wormhole blog

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#275 - 2013-05-16 15:00:31 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:
A small comment on EVE philosophy from me related to some of the conversation in here:

No one here at CCP wants to reduce consequences in EVE as a whole.

The fact that your actions have real consequences is obviously one of the most central parts of EVE design, and I promise that we don't want to move away from that as an over all design philosophy. The thing we are looking at with clones, is that currently the consequences are attached to something arbitrary (account age) which is potentially causing people to actually engage in less risky behavior overall.

There's a lot of directions the clone system COULD go, and I can't say anything specific about that right now. The important thing here is that we A: don't want to make a style of game-play, which we like, inaccessible via an arbitrary tax, and B: generally, consequences aren't going anywhere, so don't worry.

yay!

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#276 - 2013-05-16 15:58:10 UTC
Darirol wrote:
while it makes completly sense to reduce or even remove clone costs, there is one thing you should keep in mind.

without any clone cost, what keeps me from instantly porting a 200 man fleet across eve without any time or isk cost?

oh in venal is a tower under atack, everyone pod express yourself to our venal office, take fleet doctrin x ships and go. and after that is done we wanted to finish that sov fight in delve. everyone podexpress to our corp office in 319 and pick the ships you have there.
oh and after that we podexpress to pure blind and harass goons a bit. and that all within 1 hour.

i thought everyone in the csm/ccp and most of the players agreed that force projection and risk free instant travel (jumpbridges, titan bridges, jumpfreighter, or podexpress for no cost) is the root of all 0.0 problems.

especially pilots and groups of pilots with advanced skillpoints and organisation would gain even more power from free podexpress.

This has already been talked about. Changing the clone location to a 24 hour cool down, much like jump clones, would easily prevent such abuse.

What people need to remember when it comes to game mechanic changes is if you want to fix one, it very well mean you have to address other changes at the same time for it to work.
Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#277 - 2013-05-16 16:08:45 UTC
Re CCP Rise's statement in https://gate.eveonline.com/Profile/MeBiatch post;

I think Eve would have more interaction if the dps/tank/cap/options disparity between well trained pilots and less well trained pilots were not so great. As it stands clone costs is one of the only things offsetting that difference, it doesn't do a great job of that.

Maybe we also talk about some options for unwinding the power creep bubble that affects all of these games after a certain amount of time. That combined with ideas for consequences that will replace the ISK setback for a clone loss.
Edward Pierce
State War Academy
Caldari State
#278 - 2013-05-16 16:19:11 UTC
Corey Fumimasa wrote:

I think Eve would have more interaction if the dps/tank/cap/options disparity between well trained pilots and less well trained pilots were not so great. As it stands clone costs is one of the only things offsetting that difference, it doesn't do a great job of that.

Maybe we also talk about some options for unwinding the power creep bubble that affects all of these games after a certain amount of time. That combined with ideas for consequences that will replace the ISK setback for a clone loss.

If only they made some effort to reduce the disparity between the ships newer players can fly and those the super-veterans can... Something like a ship rebalancing effort...

I fail to see how you think clone cost affects the dps/tank/cap/options disparity. Total SP makes the disparity, clone costs just affects the willingness to engage and the consequence of losing.
Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#279 - 2013-05-16 17:00:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Corey Fumimasa
Edward Pierce wrote:
Corey Fumimasa wrote:

If only they made some effort to reduce the disparity between the ships newer players can fly and those the super-veterans can... Something like a ship rebalancing effort...

I fail to see how you think clone cost affects the dps/tank/cap/options disparity. Total SP makes the disparity, clone costs just affects the willingness to engage and the consequence of losing.

Something like the ship rebalancing for skills would be perfect. they could tone down the advantages for skill levels by 50% across the board or something and remove a few areas that multiply a bit too sharply.

Yes total SP makes the disparity, increasing clone costs act as a limit on high SP characters as those characters are a little more hesitant to engage due to the consequences of losing.

Its not perfect but combined with inflationary reduction in the real cost of clones over time it does act as a sort of equalizer.
Callduron
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#280 - 2013-05-16 17:03:01 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:
TrouserDeagle wrote:
So getting podded in 0.0 in a 1m frigate still costs me 32m.

For now, but if that makes a lot of people happy as a first step, it may cost much less in the not too distant future.

I'm a trainee FC for TEST, which means I'm allowed to take out cruisers and frigates but not normally supposed to take out bigger ships. Here's what I've found.

New players love coming on fleets in smaller ships and are very relaxed about dying or getting podded. They are a blast to fly with and I'm enjoying the fleets very much.

Veteran players are inhibited from coming out on Boot Camp FC fleets. The perception is that it's half an hour of shooting red crosses as punishment for 2 minutes of fun.

Players with implants in are inhibited from coming out on Boot Camp FC fleets. It's generally assumed that we usually welp the fleets.

This leads to a stagnant pvp game where veterans want to fly advanced high skill ships like Zealots under FCs who have run fleets for 10 years while newbies love happy go lucky casual fleets where it's wonderful if we win but doesn't matter if we lose. And as people age in the game they turn from those fun newbros into bitter risk averse vets.

There are exceptions - I love flying with the newbros and can afford to replace 10 20 million isk clones plus 20 +4 implants per month but for most that's simply too expensive. For most older players there's a double punishment - not only is it expensive to pvp adventurously but also it penalises progression as you can't use the sort of implants that a player who never gets podded does so you accrue less skill points.

And this is in TEST which is probably where the greatest integration of new and old players happens. Most players in null simply to everything possible to minimise risk entirely or we see veteran pvpers move to low sec to keep their Slave sets safe.

I write http://stabbedup.blogspot.co.uk/

I post on reddit as /u/callduron.