These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Dual Character Training

First post First post First post
Author
Quintessen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2013-05-15 16:25:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Quintessen
I would love it if you could log into multiple characters on the same account if we're paying twice over.

First, there's the premium of PLEX over subscription, but now we're talking about paying more, but losing the ability to multi-box.

Given how strongly CCP has pushed multi-boxing over the years it seems reasonable to allow for the fact that many people have two or more accounts. Being able to log-on to as many accounts as you have time paid for would be great. I know that's a very long-term issue that will require a lot of revamp, but it would be nice if it were solved.

Perhaps in the mean time PLEX could get you all three accounts trained simultaneously since we're already paying a premium -- though I imagine that would negatively impact CCP revenue.

This is a holdover, but I'd still like to see real reform on account management in the future so I don't have to have quite so many hurdles in managing multiple accounts.

p.s. Have you considered a character transfer holiday so that people who were using two or more accounts to train can move their characters to one account for a discounted price now that this feature is in place?
Kip Troger
Exiled Kings
Pain And Compliance
#22 - 2013-05-15 16:27:16 UTC
What happens if you have an alt that currently is dual training along side your main and you sell that alt on the character bazzarre and transfer it to another account?

Is the 30 days basically just a bank that you can use whenever, and you can use it or save it as needed, or is it constantly running as a use or lose?
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#23 - 2013-05-15 16:28:39 UTC
Yeah very nice,

what about the drone fixes?

Quintessen
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2013-05-15 16:29:02 UTC
Kip Troger wrote:
What happens if you have an alt that currently is dual training along side your main and you sell that alt on the character bazzarre and transfer it to another account?

Is the 30 days basically just a bank that you can use whenever, and you can use it or save it as needed, or is it constantly running as a use or lose?

It sounds like a bank. The question would also apply to new alts on the same account.
Grarr Dexx
Cassowaries
Accept Your Fate
#25 - 2013-05-15 16:29:20 UTC
Quote:
As an example, if you activated 30 days of Second Character Training while 13 days of regular account game time is left, you would have 17 days remaining of this feature paused when your account expires.

Do you think it would be possible to make a feature that would allow you to transfer that remaining dual character training time to a standard subscription?
0mni Ca
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2013-05-15 16:30:58 UTC
Roajax wrote:
Go the full distance.... Increase the number of toons per account to at least 9. Allow us to login multiple characters at once.

IE: If I'm paying 2 plex's per month I should be able to login 2 toons on that account. Nothing worse than trying to make the right combo of pilots + cynos work when there are ridiculous account restrictions. IE: toon1 on account#1 with cyno. toon #2 on account #2 with carrier. toon #3 on account #1 with jump freighter. See the problem? Would be a ton easier if I could just whichever 2 toons I need.

Agreed, I love the idea, as there are some toons I don't need to login at the same time, but I would love to only have 1 login to deal with when I use my multiple accounts.

This is how I believe it should be:
Arrow1 Account per person
Arrow1 Plex allows you to access any 3 characters you have on your account, if you have 5 characters on your account, only 3 will be accessible, see below.
ArrowEach additional Plex allows you to train 1 additional character and unlock 3 additional or existing characters currently on your account.
ArrowEach additional Plex allows you to login simultaneously one more character on your account.
ArrowIf you have had more than 1 Plex active on the account and it expires, your training on your least skilled character will expire, and upon your next login, you will be prompted to select which characters on your account are disabled to keep you within your limit of 3 characters.
ArrowIf you would like to enable a 4th character on your account, you can either delete an existing character you currently have active on your account or activate a plex.
ArrowThere is no limit on how many Plex's you can have acitve on your account. Your account active time will be whenever the last active Plex was on your account.
Warde Guildencrantz
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#27 - 2013-05-15 16:32:07 UTC
plex prices skyrocket? hope not

TunDraGon ~ Low sec piracy since 2003 ~ Youtube ~ Join Us

CCP RubberBAND
CCP Engineering Corp
#28 - 2013-05-15 16:34:35 UTC
Anathema Matou wrote:
This new feature has a UI problem. Please keep the option to activate dual training 2 steps away from activate game time, to avoid... accidents Roll, i.e. below the "return to redeem items" option.

There is an additional modal window which will require confirmation. If not these two, then there will be another two options next to each other. We discussed this internally but hopefully the modal confirmation window is enough to prevent mistakes?

Kip Troger wrote:

The time runs like subscription time, it does not pause if you have no two characters in training.

Feel free to poke me on: Twitter

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#29 - 2013-05-15 16:34:59 UTC  |  Edited by: silens vesica
Quintessen wrote:

Given how strongly CCP has pushed multi-boxing over the years it seems reasonable to allow for the fact that many people have two or more accounts. Being able to log-on to as many accounts as you have time paid for would be great. I know that's a very long-term issue that will require a lot of revamp, but it would be nice if it were solved.

Meh - possibly a revenue drain to CCP, though the Dual-training cost would be off-setting.

Quote:
Perhaps in the mean time PLEX could get you all three accounts trained simultaneously since we're already paying a premium -- tough I imagine that would negatively impact CCP revenue.

Id' think that would be worthwhile, even in terms of revenue - Basically an account would cost three times as much if you're training all three alts at once, under your suggestion. Even if you un-sub or consolodate two accounts into the main, your idea would be a 'push' for CCP, revenue-wise.

Quote:
This is a holdover, but I'd still like to see real reform on account management in the future so I don't have to have quite so many hurdles in managing multiple accounts.

Yes please! Cool

Quote:
p.s. Have you considered a character transfer holiday so that people who were using two or more accounts to train can move their characters to one account for a discounted price now that this feature is in place?

Yes please! Cool

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Kip Troger
Exiled Kings
Pain And Compliance
#30 - 2013-05-15 16:41:02 UTC

I dont really understand what is so hard about having multiple accounts.

Is this feature intended for players with multiple characters on one account already who dont want to pay to transfer them to a new account?

If I want to train two characters at once, i just use two accounts because that way i can dualbox them.

This seems like it will just let people not have to pay transfer fees - which doesnt make a financial sense from CCP.Question
Kip Troger
Exiled Kings
Pain And Compliance
#31 - 2013-05-15 16:44:42 UTC
CCP RubberBAND wrote:
Anathema Matou wrote:
This new feature has a UI problem. Please keep the option to activate dual training 2 steps away from activate game time, to avoid... accidents Roll, i.e. below the "return to redeem items" option.

There is an additional modal window which will require confirmation. If not these two, then there will be another two options next to each other. We discussed this internally but hopefully the modal confirmation window is enough to prevent mistakes?

Kip Troger wrote:

The time runs like subscription time, it does not pause if you have no two characters in training.

Hmmm...That is not ideal. I guess I will just have to make sure I can use all 30 days and still have to swap with my main for any time leftover. But i guess this is only a rare occurance for most...
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#32 - 2013-05-15 16:45:19 UTC  |  Edited by: silens vesica
Kip Troger wrote:

I dont really understand what is so hard about having multiple accounts.

Is this feature intended for players with multiple characters on one account already who dont want to pay to transfer them to a new account?

If I want to train two characters at once, i just use two accounts because that way i can dualbox them.

This seems like it will just let people not have to pay transfer fees - which doesnt make a financial sense from CCP.Question
It's definately a reevnue enhancer - most people won't be using it full-time though.

Give myself as an example - I have two accounts, but there are times (like the impending Odyssey update) when there are some things I want trained across as many alts as possible - In this case, Battlecruisers. Well, I'm going to manage to get three, maybe four, of my 'toons to BC V. With this training change, I could've managed a clean sweep with ease whilst not seriously impacting my primary training plan.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Fulmen
Failed Diplomacy
#33 - 2013-05-15 16:54:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Fulmen
It's already been said, but if you can't log in both accounts, then there is no point in dual training on a single account while paying for two accounts. The only benefit I see coming from this change is for character farmers who can now effectively manage half the accounts required to run their businesses.
Phoenix Jones
Small-Arms Fire
#34 - 2013-05-15 17:00:06 UTC
Fulmen wrote:
It's already been said but if you can't log in both accounts, then there is no point in dual training on a single account, while paying for two accounts. The only benefit I see coming from this change is for character farmers who can now effectively manage half the accounts required to run their businesses.

There are allot of people who really don't want 15 accounts. I myself like to have 2, no more, PERIOD. It'll be a convenience for allot of people.

Yaay!!!!

Maximus Andendare
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#35 - 2013-05-15 17:01:56 UTC
CCP RubberBAND wrote:
Anathema Matou wrote:

On sort of an unrelated note to UI, could you please move the Repackage/Reprocess apart?? :)

Enter grid and you're already dead, destined to be reborn and fight another day.

>> Play Eve Online FREE! Join today for exclusive bonuses! <<

Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#36 - 2013-05-15 17:01:59 UTC
Should be interesting but I don't really see the point as it's basically the same as having two accounts?

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Warde Guildencrantz
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#37 - 2013-05-15 17:03:53 UTC
CCP RubberBAND wrote:

Kip Troger wrote:

If you want to make this feature any difference from a second account at all, i would at least make it pause if you don't want to train the second character and save the training time for later.

TunDraGon ~ Low sec piracy since 2003 ~ Youtube ~ Join Us

Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#38 - 2013-05-15 17:06:28 UTC
1. This seems to be only usable with plex, will i not be able to use this with the Icelandic game time cards?

2. So you're doing this, COULD YOU PLEASE ADD A SWITCH CHARACTER OPTION??? =<

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#39 - 2013-05-15 17:11:34 UTC
Chribba wrote:
Should be interesting but I don't really see the point as it's basically the same as having two accounts?
Not quite - It's like having two accounts while you're training two accounts. Other times, it's just like having one account - Or, put another way, it's like having a second account you can turn on and off more-or-less at-will.

Vincent Gaines
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#40 - 2013-05-15 17:19:37 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Can I use two clients and have each character logged on at the same time?

Thank you and I am sorry for YELLING.

*Fixed that for you. ISD Ezwal. Blink*

Not a diplo. 

The above post was edited for spelling.