These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Skill Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Am I doing something wrong?

Author
Bael McVaeden
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-05-15 13:17:14 UTC
I have the most noob question ever: Is there a way to speed up skill progression?

I have been actively playing for about 10 months and have just under 8M SP. Is this about right? I have seen threads where people say they have 100M skills points since 2003, so is it about 10M a year? Or is there a faster way to earn SP?

On my skill planner it says that I earn 1920SP/hr (for most skills), but I was curious if I need to track down some implants, or something. I would like to know this answer sooner rather than later.
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-05-15 13:41:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Elena Thiesant
Implants (the attribute-increasing ones) and attribute remaps (if you have a good skill plan for the next 12 months)

Year old char here (couple weeks short of a year), 19 635 911 skill points.
RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#3 - 2013-05-15 14:03:29 UTC  |  Edited by: RavenPaine
Every skill you train has a pair of attributes that affect the training time. A primary attribute and a secondary attribute. You want to install implants that enhance those attributes.

Use your skill planner to make a plan for the next year. You can find an option there to 'optimize' your training time. This will help you decide how to 'map' yout attributes in game.

If I recall... You can get close to 21 million SP a year if you stay focused.
Cutlass Claire
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2013-05-15 14:04:13 UTC
To clarify a bit more the previous poster.

You can max out skill training to around 2700/hr

To do this you need to train Cybernetics at least to level IV (pref to level V) to be able to plug in attribute enhancing implants (like +4 intelligence implant). One thing to remember is that implants are lost when podded. If you need jump clones then I suggest you contact the Estel Corperation (http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=1400554).

You also have a attribute remap option when you open your training skill queue. You can devide skill points between the different attributes. Word of warning, remapping can be done once a year.

To help in what is best. Download programs like EVEMON. It will allow you to plan ahead and help you to optimize your skill accordingly.

Good luck!
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-05-15 14:06:49 UTC
You are definitely doing it wrong.

I'm just about a year old and coming up to 19million sp and I'm a first time EVE player so I didn't have a focused training plan in the first few months and didn't even have implants until 3 weeks in.
Mike Mulder
Imperial Phoenix Legion
#6 - 2013-05-15 17:38:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Mike Mulder
Hmm I thought a brand new toon with no implants averaged 2100 to 2200 SP/hr depending on what skill was being trained. 1920 per hour sounds low, even with no implants. I am barely 4 months old, bought +3 implants as soon as I could afford them and then +4s, and have 6.5 million SP, so yes, you are definitely doing something wrong. Even with no implants and a low SP/hr of 1920, over 10 months that is close to 14 million SP. Did you take a break from playing? You must have had a lot of time where you were not training any skill.

Anyway, buy a set of +3 implants ASAP, or at least +3s for the attributes for skills you are focusing on learning. +3s are about 10M each (so they aren't soul crushing if you get podded), and only require Cybernectics I. I wouldn't remap unless you are planning on training a whole bunch of skills that all use the same primary and secondary attributes.
Bael McVaeden
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2013-05-15 21:19:27 UTC
I took about a 3 month break between Sept and Dec, and fired back up around January.

Thanks so much for all the advice. I am going to get EVEMON tonight, figure out my 1 year plan, get some implants and maybe even remap.

Appreciate the help everyone!
amGreat
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#8 - 2013-05-18 23:11:07 UTC
Bael McVaeden wrote:
I took about a 3 month break between Sept and Dec, and fired back up around January.

Thanks so much for all the advice. I am going to get EVEMON tonight, figure out my 1 year plan, get some implants and maybe even remap.

1 year is a long time to plan. If you remap I wouldn't remap fully into one pair of attributes. There is no way you can focus that much time to skills in one set. And don't let the implants keep you from enjoying the game, that is what it is all about. If you are into pvp get a jump clone and don't be afraid to sit in it with only +2's.

It sounds like you would benefit more from running evemon to tell you when to start another skill as opposed to using it to overfit an optimization (because it will change)
Ruvin
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2013-05-18 23:26:20 UTC
i agree dont bother too much with it ... affordable implants are welcome , but you can go and distribute youre attributes around a bit , and just train a year a bit of everything and get to lvl4 of skills where needed , ince you got a solid base and made up youre mind on next year you can already go into focused training ...

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.

Roseline Penshar
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2013-05-18 23:34:43 UTC
Bael McVaeden wrote:

if you want remap check this out https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2157037#post2157037

and this one too https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=228110&find=unread
Hesod Adee
Perkone
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-05-19 01:14:51 UTC
amGreat wrote:
Bael McVaeden wrote:

1 year is a long time to plan. If you remap I wouldn't remap fully into one pair of attributes. There is no way you can focus that much time to skills in one set. And don't let the implants keep you from enjoying the game, that is what it is all about. If you are into pvp get a jump clone and don't be afraid to sit in it with only +2's.

It sounds like you would benefit more from running evemon to tell you when to start another skill as opposed to using it to overfit an optimization (because it will change)

He's a new player. I can easily see him having a year of support skills to train. On the other hand, don't new players get a few free remaps ?

As for how he remaps the attributes, I don't know of any better way to decide what to set them to than plugging a skill plan into Evemon and letting it calculate the optimal layout.
Termy Rockling
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2013-05-19 15:24:11 UTC
For most new people who want to actually fight while training their first year, perception/intelligenge remap usually works best. Then the next year you can go full int/mem for training the various tanking/support/whatevers before again focusing to ships.
Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#13 - 2013-05-20 17:08:17 UTC
amGreat wrote:

I've been on an int/mem remap for 15 months. I have 265 days left. A year isn't that long to plan.

Having said that, any of Tau's suggested remaps for a new player are probably a much better idea than full specialization for the first few years. Per = Int with a set of +2s or +3s should do you pretty well starting off.