These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Clone costs and old vets

First post
Author
Tinu Moorhsum
Random Events
#161 - 2013-05-15 11:19:07 UTC
Blitzalpha Khurelem wrote:
there are some useless FC's out there who should wear the cost of some of my 150m SP clones

you know who you are

so my main is now byes byes in hs all warm and cuddly

Well.... this is actually a good point. If you have an expensive clone then you might not want to always PVP with it. Lots of fleet fights are so big that the FC doesn't even know everyone in their fleet, let alone how many skill points they have or which implants or how much money they have in their wallets.

Saving an individual's expensive clone just might not be the biggest goal of that fleet. In fact, depending on orders, winning the fight might not even be the biggest goal of that fleet.

and yes, some FC's are beyond bad. I'm not naming names but I think I've flown with the best AND the worst FC's in nullsec. One of them, in particular, had a bad habit of panicking and running away during a fight, leaving his entire fleet twisting in the wind with no orders and sometimes no idea that he even ran away. Another I know of got a 100 man battleship fleet wiped out in about 5 minutes and was so upset by what was happening that he literally turned off his computer and left us all to die....

so yeah... some FC's could do better.

That said, the people who bitterly complain about FC's are often the same ones who bitterly complain about bubblers not being perfect..... they're the very people who probably don't have the balls to sit in the FC's chair or to fly a bubbler.

I'm not saying the person I quoted is one of those but his comment does point to general pattern of behaviour I see:

Those who can, do... Those who cannot, complain.
Destiny Corrupted
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
Senpai's Afterschool Anime and Gaming Club
#162 - 2013-05-15 11:30:25 UTC
Tinu Moorhsum wrote:
Blitzalpha Khurelem wrote:
there are some useless FC's out there who should wear the cost of some of my 150m SP clones

you know who you are

so my main is now byes byes in hs all warm and cuddly

Well.... this is actually a good point. If you have an expensive clone then you might not want to always PVP with it. Lots of fleet fights are so big that the FC doesn't even know everyone in their fleet, let alone how many skill points they have or which implants or how much money they have in their wallets.

Saving an individual's expensive clone just might not be the biggest goal of that fleet. In fact, depending on orders, winning the fight might not even be the biggest goal of that fleet.

So uh, if I can't pvp with my expensive clone, which clone should I pvp with?

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/users/2074-destiny-corrupted

Cipher7
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#163 - 2013-05-15 11:34:45 UTC

I support cheaper or free clones.

1. It'll funnel that money into ships and mods helping the economy
2. More ppl will use low-grade implants as an acceptable pod risk

When ppl buy a 100m clone, that money doesn't go to any manufacturer or miner, it simply leaves the game, and also makes it so ppl have to do things they don't feel like doing in order to pvp.

Pvp should always be encouraged and subsidized, you want people to lose MORE ships, not less, that's what creates the ballet of mining, manufacturing, marketing, transporting, etc that is the world of EvE.

If ppl are spending their loot on clones instead of ships, that's bad. That takes money out of the hands of miners, manufacturers, mission runners, transporters, salesmen, etc etc.

Get money into the hands of the people and let them SPEND IT. More destruction = more creation.
Octoven
Stellar Production
#164 - 2013-05-15 11:39:16 UTC
Quite honestly, there really is no reason why you cant make a sufficient amount of ISK in game to cover these expenses. You have the skill points so use them! There are plenty of money making opportunities in game from lvl4s and 5s to incursions and even scamming ^.^ The point here is that I was a music major in college full time. Which meant I spent 8am-5pm in class, 6-9pm practicing and the rest of the night was homework...yet I still found time to play the game enough to make money, keeping in mind my toon is only 41 mil SP. If I had the SP you do hell i could make loads more.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#165 - 2013-05-15 11:40:26 UTC
Octoven wrote:
Quite honestly, there really is no reason why you cant make a sufficient amount of ISK in game to cover these expenses. You have the skill points so use them! There are plenty of money making opportunities in game from lvl4s and 5s to incursions and even scamming ^.^ The point here is that I was a music major in college full time. Which meant I spent 8am-5pm in class, 6-9pm practicing and the rest of the night was homework...yet I still found time to play the game enough to make money, keeping in mind my toon is only 41 mil SP. If I had the SP you do hell i could make loads more.

Wrong, and besides, you used your time to make isk. Why can't they use their time to do PVP? Why must they be punished for having more SP?
That's a question none of you supporters have answered.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Danni stark
#166 - 2013-05-15 11:41:40 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Why must they be punished for having more SP?

actions and consequences, and all that.
Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#167 - 2013-05-15 11:44:27 UTC
Character development is a long term game that is part of Eve. Some people choose train everything on one character. That has great benefits in terms of versatility, logistics, and time spent moving between characters. The only drawback that style has is really clone costs.

Other people have played the game for years and used all three characters on their accounts. They had to train basic skills on all three chars, and have a much trickier logistics problem to deal with. The benefit to this type of account is that you can keep your combat characters in hot spots and leave the farmers in their mines or fields or whatever.

Both strategies are good, they each have advantages and disadvantages. I think option #1 is a bit more popular because it is simpler and the main drawback is clone cost. Which has been significantly reduced over the years by inflation. In fact I wonder if the rate of inflation was accounted for when they choose a slightly accelerating curve for those costs.

At any rate if the clone cost drawback is removed then the game has been simplified. Another option for strategy and implementation has been lost. I like the complicated long game, it is part of what makes Eve interesting.

And for people like myself who maintain separate chars and come to these threads to enjoy the tears it would be very unfair if clone costs were reduced. I might have to stop playing Eve and go to highsec and cancl my alt subs, yeah I would throw a batshit crazy hissy fit and invite all the other people who were in the same boat, we would whine and cry and complain until we got something that we want.

Or maybe not. I guess I would just keep playing.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#168 - 2013-05-15 11:44:38 UTC
Danni stark wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

I'm asking for a logical justification, not buzzwords and rhetoric.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Destiny Corrupted
#169 - 2013-05-15 11:47:50 UTC
Octoven wrote:

Posting to confirm that lots of skill points ensure a considerable increase from scamming revenue.

Octoven wrote:
I was a music major in college full time.

I guess that kind of explains the ignorance of your post.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

Destiny Corrupted
#170 - 2013-05-15 11:53:01 UTC
Corey Fumimasa wrote:
Character development is a long term game that is part of Eve. Some people choose train everything on one character. That has great benefits in terms of versatility, logistics, and time spent moving between characters. The only drawback that style has is really clone costs.

Other people have played the game for years and used all three characters on their accounts. They had to train basic skills on all three chars, and have a much trickier logistics problem to deal with. The benefit to this type of account is that you can keep your combat characters in hot spots and leave the farmers in their mines or fields or whatever.

Both strategies are good, they each have advantages and disadvantages. I think option #1 is a bit more popular because it is simpler and the main drawback is clone cost. Which has been significantly reduced over the years by inflation. In fact I wonder if the rate of inflation was accounted for when they choose a slightly accelerating curve for those costs.

At any rate if the clone cost drawback is removed then the game has been simplified. Another option for strategy and implementation has been lost. I like the complicated long game, it is part of what makes Eve interesting.

And for people like myself who maintain separate chars and come to these threads to enjoy the tears it would be very unfair if clone costs were reduced. I might have to stop playing Eve and go to highsec and cancl my alt subs, yeah I would throw a batshit crazy hissy fit and invite all the other people who were in the same boat, we would whine and cry and complain until we got something that we want.

Or maybe not. I guess I would just keep playing.

The "using all three character slots" thing only delays the inevitable, bro. What are you going to tell us next? To get more accounts?

But at least you follow your own advice, eh? I want to say I'm surprised to see a CVA guy split his training time equally across all his characters, but I'd be a massive liar.

Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#171 - 2013-05-15 11:55:45 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Danni stark wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

I'm asking for a logical justification, not buzzwords and rhetoric.

No one is being punished. There are advantages and disadvantages to having 1 main character.

You only have to train core once and you don't have to move items between chars or log out and then log back in. You do have to pay clone costs for SP's that are not entirely used in a specific fight.

But even those unused skill points have an impact. They create uncertainty and allow greater flexibility when choosing a ship and weapons.

The 30 million usable SP's per ship is kind of an illusion that way. Take a ship that has no turret bonus bonus like the Myrmidon, a 100 million SP char can dock up and come back out w t2 pulse lasers or t2 artillery if the situation calls for it, that flexibility is an advantage. Those SP's are valuable even if they are not currently in use and they must be accounted for in order that the game have coherency and balance.

The 50mil for a high end clone is actually a great value.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#172 - 2013-05-15 11:56:31 UTC
Tinu Moorhsum wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
30% reduction sounds nice.

Meh... clone costs are part of doing business. An uber skilled character can do a LOT and there SHOULD be a price involved for enjoying that benefit. Nobody should get front row seats for pocket change.

And frankly, if he's space poor in this game, it's not the clone costs that are causing that....

But ok.... He does have another option..... just don't upgrade it and pay in skill points instead of ISK. Eventually it will reduce the costs of his clones down to a level that he feels more comfortable paying.

I just don't think he should have it both ways ... He wants to fly an uber skilled character in PVP and then he tells us that if he does get podded then he want's it to not hurt?

Really. QQ no way.

We are getting a 30% reduction.
Muad 'dib
State War Academy
Caldari State
#173 - 2013-05-15 11:57:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Muad 'dib
Large Collidable Object wrote:
Jack Miton wrote:
Vets should know how to make ISK by now. /thread.

Vets know, but how is that a valid point?

How exatcy is knowing your way around a culpable act?

What the large collidable said.

A 2003 char who makes isk hauling and trading and makes bazillionz is all well and good but thats not everyone, and those that pvp spend A LOT on ships and clones in comparison and definitely do not all have their own isk fountain alt.

Why not just force a % of SP to be lost regardless of the clone, because, you know, they can afford it? no you cant because thats completely stupid.

Taxing the rich more because they are rich means they will just find ways round it, look at the states! :P

Cosmic signature detected. . . . http://i.imgur.com/Z7NfIS6.jpg I got 99 likes, and this post aint one.

pussnheels
Viziam
#174 - 2013-05-15 11:58:19 UTC
well lets be rational , if you been playing for many years and reached ter100 mil sp long time ago and you still can not afford the clone upgrade costs , you must have done something wrong

I do not agree with what you are saying , but i will defend to the death your right to say it...... Voltaire

Destiny Corrupted
#175 - 2013-05-15 11:59:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Destiny Corrupted
Boy, that Mining Barge 5 sure does help my Taranis hit harder!

pussnheels wrote:
well lets be rational , if you been playing for many years and reached ter100 mil sp long time ago and you still can not afford the clone upgrade costs , you must have done something wrong

We're not talking about clone upgrade costs; we're talking about clone replacement costs.

Some people are too busy fighting for your ability to farm anomalies to grind ISK for the privilege of losing money to NPCs during player-versus-player combat. Some of them lose multiple pods per day. Are you willing to cover those costs yourself?

Muad 'dib
State War Academy
Caldari State
#176 - 2013-05-15 12:10:16 UTC
pussnheels wrote:

When has having lots of money been a primary long term goal?

Old pvpers who lose their clones and burn through isk and ships dont spend time making money they spend time networking, scheming stealing and fighting.

secondly if a char is bought with plex it has no assets or 'knowledge' of eve, is he to be punished for his investment with constant high priced clone replacements?!

Cosmic signature detected. . . . http://i.imgur.com/Z7NfIS6.jpg I got 99 likes, and this post aint one.

Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#177 - 2013-05-15 12:11:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Corey Fumimasa
Destiny Corrupted wrote:

The "using all three character slots" thing only delays the inevitable, bro. What are you going to tell us next? To get more accounts?

But at least you follow your own advice, eh? I want to say I'm surprised to see a CVA guy split his training time equally across all his characters, but I'd be a massive liar.

Skill up a small ship pilot to 30 million points and leave him there. He will always be there sitting in a hanger in the right ship ready to go. Its not that complicated.

The arguments to do away with clone costs all come down to "Its irritating switching chars and I don't want to retrain core and I don't like it."

I personally don't actually like grinding ISK, I'm not asking that ISK be removed as a game dynamic. Its part of the game and the "work" part of getting ISK is part of what makes combat exciting and fun. To diminish the potential for loss in any way would change Eve. Perhaps my hands wouldn't shake and I wouldn't experience the great feelings of victory or success if it is made easier.

Maintaining the pain of loss in a game is perhaps CCP's greatest achievement. I like playing the game their way. Making combat cheaper so that there is more of it would make the experience of Eve combat cheaper. No reason for that.
Cipher7
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#178 - 2013-05-15 12:11:52 UTC
pussnheels wrote:

Not really.

It's not like there's a "Isk Printing Level 5" skill.

You still have to either go out and rat, or sit in a market playing the 1 cent game, or PI or what have you.

After about 10 million sp you have all the same money-making options as a player with 150 million sp, the difference being they can fly all 4 races and you can fly 1 race.
rofflesausage
State War Academy
Caldari State
#179 - 2013-05-15 12:13:19 UTC
Octoven wrote:

When you have a real job, earning real money, with a real boss breathing down your neck, and maybe even a family, come back and comment.
Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#180 - 2013-05-15 12:14:49 UTC
Cipher7 wrote:
pussnheels wrote:

Not really.

It's not like there's a "Isk Printing Level 5" skill.

You still have to either go out and rat, or sit in a market playing the 1 cent game, or PI or what have you.

After about 10 million sp you have all the same money-making options as a player with 150 million sp, the difference being they can fly all 4 races and you can fly 1 race.

Seems to me that being able to fly 4 races is like having more options than someone who can only fly 1 race.