These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Wormholes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Deep-Space probe scanning removed in Odyssey?

First post
Author
unimatrix0030
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2013-05-06 20:16:30 UTC  |  Edited by: unimatrix0030
It was mentioned at the exploration roundtable.
They weren't sure but they though the % was now in a tooltip if you hover over it.
But basicly the system hasn't changed just how it is shown.
But maybe the csm's should point them to this thread, i seem to remember meeting a dev in the pubcrawl that wanted to know how we used them.
But i can't remeber who, to much beer :p.

No local in null sec would fix everything!

MdZt
Defying Gravity
EM-B.A.S.H.
#42 - 2013-05-06 20:41:39 UTC  |  Edited by: MdZt
Bloody Wench wrote:
Pretty sure I can write a script to count pixels and output to an overlay.

you can't count pixels. with DSP at 256 AU all the signals will be 0 pixels or 1 pixel.
Olari Vanderfall
Perkone
Caldari State
#43 - 2013-05-09 02:54:55 UTC
Imagine my surprise that when I logged onto Sisi tonight my beloved deeps were gone.

My scanning technique involves 4 deeps and 4 combats so not sure why deeps have been removed. I'd love to see them put back in and allow for preset scanning formations using multiple probe types.

My 2 isk.
Maggeridon Thoraz
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#44 - 2013-05-09 03:46:49 UTC
I want them back as well. I have 2 toons extra skilled for using them
Jack Miton
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#45 - 2013-05-09 04:21:21 UTC
Let's face it, the only reason to ever launch a DSP is to cover a whole system that is larger than 64au with a single probe when checking for new sigs.
Actually probing with them is LOL terrible and the sig strength identification method works better with combat probes anyway.

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#46 - 2013-05-09 05:09:55 UTC
Well Jack here is a dev snippet from over on the test server feedback forums to make even you go wtf

"Seven probes launched at once
Probe launchers can now only launch a maximum of seven probes. These probes are now launched all together. One click, launches all."
Complex Potential
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#47 - 2013-05-09 06:13:07 UTC
This upsets me mightily.

I've just logged into my fav WH scanning calculation website and I see a huge message at the top in red saying that DSPs are getting removed on June 4th. CCP WTF?!

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/dsp/lowsec.html?str=11.60&f=5&sec=1

I know you can use core and combat probes in the same fashion but this is going to make scanning new static connections a serious ball ache. Scanning already takes up a lot of time in WH space but now it's going to take several times longer, especially if you connect to a new system with many sigs; finding the static exit to k space is going to be a pain.

Just my two cents.
Jack Miton
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#48 - 2013-05-09 06:58:14 UTC
Derath Ellecon wrote:
"Seven probes launched at once
Probe launchers can now only launch a maximum of seven probes. These probes are now launched all together. One click, launches all."

oh **** off...

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

Duramah
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#49 - 2013-05-09 08:56:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Duramah
guys I'd visit this thread and leave a reply as to why we need the 8th probe back along with some other adjustments.

Atm all the nullbears are shadowing us over with nullsites tweaks and dumb suggestion and especially our voices need to be heard!
If this doesn't happen I think this will cause a lot of pain on the casual daily life with us WH dudes when the patch comes out.
grassy 420
Voidlings
New. Sig.
#50 - 2013-05-09 10:57:05 UTC
personally i think the dsp's are ****** i know some people that use them. to me they are anoying, they are for people who don't feel like scanning down a system. so they just figure what out what entrances/exits there are. WHICH in some cases. is nice, if u need to gtfo.. but on daily regular basis its just sloppy. a potiental fight could happen at these sites. also your corp mates may later on love you for scanning that sig down so they can farm ect.. lastly it helps people find new sigs that havn't poped up yet or maybe later on.
Kuklinski
Blunderbuss.
#51 - 2013-05-09 11:29:32 UTC
Anyone else use the DSPs for pinpointing fat-ass boats to drop right on top of?I do and have convinced myself that even if its one time in ten that they've seen DSPs and not Combats and thus havent immediately hit warp-to-gtfo then they worth using/keeping in game.

Can i ask them maybe better in the know-am i reading it correct that the new discovery scanner is going to be showing the appearance of any new sigs. that appear in a system(with auto-repeat as well?!!)......pfft.
Nash MacAllister
Air
The Initiative.
#52 - 2013-05-09 12:34:00 UTC
As Jack I believe said, DSP's have 1 real purpose and that is watching a large system for new K162 or other sigs. I am lazy and use the 7 probe method, but I certainly don't agree with eliminating the DSP or 8 probe option. I hate to say it, but this is simply dumbing down scanning and making it much easier for people. Good, bad, I don't know about the bigger picture that CCP is looking at. But for w-space, not having that DSP to cover your plexing system is certainly a change...

What I didn't try on SiSi was checking to see if the new scanner runs when you jump into a wh. Not having read much on the topic, I don't know if that was proposed or not, but it does seem like a logical extension of the new feature/functionality. Anything to get targets errr I mean space friends into a site and plexing quicker (without bothering to check the surroundings) is good in my book. Big smile

Yes, if you have to ask yourself the question, just assume we are watching you...

Olari Vanderfall
Perkone
Caldari State
#53 - 2013-05-09 15:29:37 UTC
Jack Miton wrote:
Let's face it, the only reason to ever launch a DSP is to cover a whole system that is larger than 64au with a single probe when checking for new sigs.
Actually probing with them is LOL terrible and the sig strength identification method works better with combat probes anyway.

This is not true. They are excellent when used with combats for scanning down sigs. I use them and this scanning change dumbs down the whole process to push buttan, get sigs.

I can't believe CCP ran this by any CSM because I'd hope they'd call this nerf out.
Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#54 - 2013-05-09 23:01:18 UTC
Having spent some time scanning on Sisi (getting myself out of our WH, 5 system chain) I can safely say I don't really miss the DSP's.

The loss of 8 probes does suck.

I fear the system scanner will make farming even safer.
Nash MacAllister
Air
The Initiative.
#55 - 2013-05-10 12:08:57 UTC
Derath Ellecon wrote:
Having spent some time scanning on Sisi (getting myself out of our WH, 5 system chain) I can safely say I don't really miss the DSP's.

The loss of 8 probes does suck.

I fear the system scanner will make farming even safer.

I also spent some time on SiSi tinkering with the new probe system. For anyone that hasn't, I suggest you do so and familiarize yourself with the new system. At first I really hated it because it is just not the same and muscle memory/changing techniques is a ***** TBH. As I used it and learned how it is different, I found that it really is a tad quicker now (unless you are a scanning God). One of the formations, I forget which, I think is useless due to huge gaps in the probe coverage. But maybe that's just me being OCD. The other formation works though, and you can of course still move the probes individually by hitting the "Shift" key. Dragging the "bubbles" in the map took some getting used to to change probe range... But manipulating the probe ranges and formation is not intuitive at first, and takes some getting used to. All in all, it is definitely easier.

Regarding people like wh dwellers that scan all the time, with the loss of probe 8, the DSP, and ONLY being able to launch 7 at a time (correct, you can't launch just 1 anymore), I think it is a downgrade to what we have now. For the noobs, it makes life easier. It even has Auto-Reload now. So the upside to all this is hopefully we will have more targets scanning down wh and seeing what they are about. As a 7 probe scanner, other than not being able to keep an eye on sigs in an entire system using a single DSP, and having to get used to the new mechanics, I don't really see a huge downside to the changes...

Yes, if you have to ask yourself the question, just assume we are watching you...

Galileo Ohaya
Tortuga Coalition 102
#56 - 2013-05-12 03:50:02 UTC
Kind of upset at all the isk I have in DSPs as well.
Matuk Grymwal
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#57 - 2013-05-13 02:49:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Matuk Grymwal
Well just flipped to the feedback thread and I see CCP are already working on putting the 8th probe back due to overwhelming demand (and making other tweaks). I'll try to give the new changes a run tonight. See:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=3006640#post3006640
Matuk Grymwal
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#58 - 2013-05-13 09:50:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Matuk Grymwal
Okay I've tried out the changes and I've found some issues. Setting up custom formations is going to be much more annoying if they don't make further changes (I think anyone with half a clue about scanning will find it annoying to setup their own preferred formations).

You may want to check out my post in the main thread:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=3018585#post3018585

Also remember those times you killed cloakies while they're dropping probes? Well say goodbye to that, with the insta launch of every single probe at the same time. As much as it's super convenient, I don't want to lose that one small chance where you can tackle a cloaker while dropping probes.
CCP Eterne
C C P
C C P Alliance
#59 - 2013-05-13 16:55:07 UTC
I have removed some trolling from this thread.

EVE Online/DUST 514 Community Representative ※ EVE Illuminati ※ Fiction Adept

@CCP_Eterne ※ @EVE_LiveEvents

Kalel Nimrott
Caldari Provisions
#60 - 2013-05-14 13:34:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Kalel Nimrott
I tested a bit the new system and some things I like. You can now move the probes and keep them in formations easier than before, but, ¿no eight probes formation?, maybe my skills in siggy are not up to date, but...
No timers on probes. I haven't lost one in a while now, but I don`t know how will that impact on the market.

I still havent made up my mind.

Oh, the modules I haven`t checked them.

Bob Artis, you will be missed.

O7