These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

About the proposed ship identification system

Author
YuuKnow
The Scope
#1 - 2013-05-13 14:05:40 UTC
Just watched the fanfest panel on the potential ship identification changes. Look here if you have not seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNXSNTkxDdk

My 2isk? The skill tree and certificate layouts are actually currently the simplest part of Eve. You have a game which playerbase masters the complex markets, complex combat mechnics, and economic elegance. IMHO there's nothing about the current skill planning or certificate planning that's confusion or obscure. No need to change.

Actually the proposed changes to the skill tree graphical layout and the icon system are probably more complicating than helpful.

my 2isk.

yk
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2013-05-13 14:07:03 UTC
Could you summarize it so the rest of us don't have to watch an hour of video just to join in on your little discussion?

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Some Rando
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2013-05-13 14:12:03 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Could you summarize it so the rest of us don't have to watch an hour of video just to join in on your little discussion?

Alternatively, OP, post the time that these changes are discussed.

CCP has no sense of humour.

LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2013-05-13 15:47:10 UTC
Instead of new players using tools like EFT and EveMon to see what ships exist and what skills they may want to train, CCP wants to create a visual tool in game to help people see the ship progression and skills they have learned and need to learn. They are reworking certificates a little, rearranging the skills under the skill categories (moving "armor" out from under mechanic and "shield" out from under engineering. The big change is the wire model showing ship groups, ships in the group and skill progression towards those ships.

Sounds to me like CCP is trying to get new players jazzed about all the ships they could fly in the future, if they stay subscribed for a decade.

I can already see the counter argument. Bigger is not better and we should be getting the new player in ships, in low sec, getting blown up, not sitting in high sec watching their skill tree grow, waiting for some magical point where they can finally fly some dream ship well.

Both the "we need to get them jazzed over what is available" and the "we need to get them into ships in space, not sitting in station training skills" are perfectly valid arguments.
Morgan North
Dark-Rising
Wrecking Machine.
#5 - 2013-05-13 15:50:03 UTC
My only grievance was:

1. A ship's colour should never be a problem in visual identification. The ships should all be different, even if minor changes are done from a tech I to a tech II ship.
LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2013-05-13 15:53:30 UTC
Some Rando wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:

Alternatively, OP, post the time that these changes are discussed.

The entire 50 minutes is pretty much focused on this.

First they talk about changes to the skill progression in Odyssey (everyone should know about this).

Then they talk about changes to certificates. Each certificate will have 5 levels from basic to elite. For rookie ship, maybe navigation basic is recommended. For interceptor, advanced. For a capital, then you need elite with all the jump skills.

Then they talk about changes to skill groupings. It is hard for new players to know that armor skills are under mechanic, and shield are under engineering... so they are making some new groups and reorganizing which skills are where.

All f that is the first 20 minutes.

THEN the bulk of the presentation is a demonstration of different prototypes they have played with for showing ship progression, icons they have come up with for the ship groups, ways they have tried to show the ships in the groups, etc.
hellcane
Never Back Down
#7 - 2013-05-13 16:45:04 UTC
Can't watch it ATM, are they planning to change the armor/shield titles in Odyssey?