These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Are railguns really that bad?

First post First post
Author
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2013-05-12 02:57:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Tsukino Stareine
Jazmyn Stone wrote:
Quote:
My drake tanks more, does better DPS and at longer ranges

Your Drake cannot do both.

The Drake use to be very very good, but since the heavy missle nerf is is now average. It has lost it's edge. Oh, you still can give it a good tank, but in order to do so you have to sacrifice dps. Sure with faction scourge, it can put out (for me) about 410 dps, but not all missions do you use scourge, so otherwise it only puts out 273 dps. That's also with 3 Caldari BCUs. It's max range is now about 56km, it cannot hit any further. In my present Drake's fit it's tank can vary between 80 to 94hp/s

My Ferox puts out 424 dps against everything, with only T2 damage mods, and it's tank can do 97hp/s. By changing over to Thorium I can reach out and touch someone at 69km. (though the dps is down to 320)

Quote:
It doesn't use expensive mods either.

I had the Pith shield booster to put on the Ferox so I did. So what. If you aren't using any expensive mods on your Drake that you say is better than this Ferox, then you don't know what your're talking about. Please show us this Drake of yours. Here is my Drake:

3x Purgers

6x HML II (Caldari scourge, 410dps; Caldari Mjolnir, 273dps) range is 56km)

2x LSE II
2x Invul Fld II (varies)
mission specific amp (varies)
10mn ABII or Shield recharger or Target Painter

3x Caldari BCUs
SPR II

Tech II Drones

Quote:
I think you just didn't know how to fly a drake.

What's there to fly a Drake in a L3 mission? Just target and shoot.

Jaz

First mistake you are making is that you use something other than scourge. Drake now has a 50% damage bonus to kinetic with BC V (which I have) and using any other ammo, even if its on amarr rats is a DPS loss.

Drake's max range with faction missiles is 62.9km with all 5s, 54.8 with level 4 skills.

Your ferox at all 5s will do 35+25 with antimatter and with the impending nerf to the tracking enhancer will be even lower.

Also you have gun implants since all 5s indicate 386 DPS with faction antimatter. Or you are quoting with drones.

You also have no prop mod though you probably should drop the amplifier for it

Your rigs are..kind of funny, but w/e.

Also your cap lasts 1 minute 7 seconds with all 5s, not that important since level 3s should not even need to use your shield booster, however I use my drake for 4s sometimes and it tanks up to about 8 battleships fine, probably more is possible.

example of how ridiculous a drake can be: http://killfeed.eveuniversity.org/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=69810

If I set up my drake to run level 3s as best it could, it would look like this:

[Drake, pve]
Ballistic Control System II

Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
10MN Afterburner II
Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron

Heavy Missile Launcher II, Scourge Fury Heavy Missile
[empty high slot]

Medium Warhead Rigor Catalyst I
Medium Warhead Flare Catalyst I
Medium Processor Overclocking Unit I

Warrior II x5

Also you keep quoting your DPS at 1 falloff. Your dps is NOT what is shown in EFT at optimal+falloff. It is exactly HALF what is shown at optimal+falloff.

So the ferox fit you linked with perfect skills will do 193 DPS at 60km
With Thorium it will do 289 DPS at 61km which is the closest approximation to drake range with your fit. Drake does 391 at 62.9km.

Of course you could make a sniping ferox that can far outrange the drake but then you're down to 225 DPS and you have to evaluate if its even worth it.

EFT DPS is NOT what you will do ingame, you must remember that. This is true for missiles AND turrets. I'm well aware I'm not going to do full 391 DPS on frigates for example, I have to change to precision missiles which drop my range down to 31km (not that it matters much since they get close anyway) and it will take 3-4 hits to blow them up, less with drones.

Your problem is that you have to kill frigates before they get close since your rails cannot track if they do. Both systems have their drawbacks but the drake at least can overcome them while a webbed and scrammed ferox only has drones to rely on.

Overall as a missioning platform, the drake far outperforms the ferox and it's mainly because of the weapon system.

EDIT: to get to the killfeed you must remove the amp; from the URL or copy and paste instead of clicking, not sure why eve forums linking converts it like that -_-
Linna Excel
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#42 - 2013-05-12 04:18:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Linna Excel
I'm assuming that you are running shield tanked ships. Caldari will be easier for you to switch over to. Domis can be shield tanked somewhat and with sentries are great with rails, but they are drone ships. For the other ships, you have to go over to armor tanking I believe.

Now the Rokh does have one drawback: no ship bonuses to damage, only range. So you can hit further out, but you need damage mods for damage. So basically those 2-3 mag field stabs IIs you are fitting will help you keep pace in terms of damage output.

Personal opinion? I fly a drone and rail domi with T1 weapons. Against PVE BSs, I wouldn't feel comfortable without my drones. Particularly after the domi gets its damage nerfed soon. As long as I can keep range in PVE, hitting other large ships with rails isn't a problem... so learn to fly away.
Jazmyn Stone
Perkone
Caldari State
#43 - 2013-05-12 14:14:30 UTC
Tsukino, I have made no mistakes, I don't use the Drake for L3s anymore, simply because if you don't use scourge, the Drake sucks. With scourge fury range reduces down to about 45km

I am not having any problems with any missions in the Ferox, and I only wanted to state how I was impressed with it now having room for 7 250mm rail guns. As the topic was about rail guns, not you EFT warrioring. You don't have to agree or disagree, but please do not assume.

We could go back and forth for eternity, and never agree on anything. I really don't care, each of us can do as we please. The facts I have used are not from EFT, they are directly from in-game.

for example: you say my Ferox with all 5s will do 35 + 25 with antimatter. In reality (not using EFT like you), I get 47 + 28km. And for damage I get 424dps with out drones

You've tried to pick apart everything I posted, but you should have read it more closely. You would have seen that I do make allowance for a prop mod, a TP, even a shield rech., on the Drake.

Why even mention how long my SB lasts and then turn around and say it's not important? It only gets pulsed once in a while or not at all. Yeah, I get w/e.

Your Drake set-up, OMG, you say with only 2LSE II, and no other rigs or mods to help with the regen, will tank 8+ battleships in a L4 . . .

. . . never gonna happen.

You know I"m done with this, my apology going out to Cipher7. I didn't intend to hi-jack your OP. I will say no more hoping it can get back on topic.

Jaz

Always remember Tovil-Toba, and what was done there.

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#44 - 2013-05-12 16:09:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Tsukino Stareine
Something is very wrong with my or your eft then (hint: its not mine). You also clearly didn't look at the killmail.

I picked apart what you said because it is wrong, you obviously don't understand the concept of falloff.

We can argue all day and I will be right every time because you are misinformed.
Jazmyn Stone
Perkone
Caldari State
#45 - 2013-05-12 17:02:19 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Something is very wrong with my or your eft then (hint: its not mine). You also clearly didn't look at the killmail.

I picked apart what you said because it is wrong, you obviously don't understand the concept of falloff.

We can argue all day and I will be right every time because you are misinformed.

Yes, I saw the kill mail. I didn't want to mention it as to not to embarrass you any further.

So you went up against a BS, with a poor set up for the situation, and thought you'd win? At what point did you feel hopeless, but stayed in the fight anyway? A set up that only put out 289 dps (all L5s for you.), and 80 hp/s regen? (You took a PVE set up into a PVP situation.)

I really don't use EFT, I mainly use the in-game numbers.

In your post you even put up a worse set up, and yet some how it can tank 8 battleships?

And now you assume I "don't understand the concept of falloff". Wow.

You're correct, something is wrong, very wrong.

Jaz

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2013-05-12 17:06:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Tsukino Stareine
Right after that post I'm going to quit this now, just replying to you is reducing my iq

EDIT: ok I was in a really mean mood from being stuck in a car for 11 hours so I'll be nice here.

I'm going to explain things to you: with pictures!

Firstly about EFT: it is more or less 99% accurate and consistent with what is ingame let's look at some pictures!

ingame
EFT

Now let's play spot the difference! You get 10mil isk for every difference you spot between their attributes :3 (rounded numbers do not count).

So if you're a super clever clogs, you should get 20mil! (Hint: this means there are 2 differences that are not related to number rounding).

Ok now after this let's look at your ferox in EFT with maximum skills (remember EFT is very accurate so it's not nice to lie!):

Jaz's ferox

Oh dear, the numbers you told me do not quite match up, do they?

let's add a 3% surgical strike and 3% Medium hybrid turret implant to it. OH LOOK MAGIC, 424 DPS!

I know you said without drones, but you also didn't clarify you had implants which i already pointed out before. This just makes things clear: you're comparing a ferox with implants against a drake with none, very fair I would say!

As for your 47+28km range with faction antimatter: I have no Idea how you managed to work this out. I would LOVE a picture from you too! Sharing is caring and all that.

However since I'm such a nice person I will give you the benefit of the doubt and somehow magically your ferox does 424 DPS (with implants remember!) at 47+28km range.

So now we move onto the topic of falloff ranges (yay!).

47km is comparable to a drakes 47km range with scourge fury missiles. A drake does 450 DPS at 47km without any implants. Oh dear, that's even higher than the ferox with implants!

"But there is falloff!" You say. Ok well let's look at the DPS at 63km (faction heavy missile range).

My drake will do 384 DPS at 62.9km, your ferox with faction antimatter will do 339 DPS!

This is why.

If all the hard mathsy things are hurting your poor brain: it just means at optimal+50% of your falloff you are doing 80% of your maximum damage and at optimal+100% of your falloff you are doing 50% of your maximum damage.

Of course you can get very lucky and do more than this graph predicts sometimes! But over time it will average out to look like that graph since sometimes you can get very unlucky too (sadface).

Ok so a quick recap:

1. EFT speaks the truth.
2. You use damage implants for your ferox
3. I have no idea where you pulled those ranges from
4. Drake does more damage regardless of what range you have up to 62.9km

Got all of that? Let's move on!

The killboard entry you looked at actually does not contain only one battleship and it's not a player! If you took a long time to work it out you would find out it is literally impossible for one battleship rat to do 120,000 (120 THOUSAND) damage to a drake and kill it.

In fact that killboard entry featured possibly more than 15 battleships all shooting the drake at once, at it's lowest natural resists too!

Now that we've cleared most things up, I hope you learned something and I look forward to sending that 20million isk to you (good luck! You'll need it).
Jazmyn Stone
Perkone
Caldari State
#47 - 2013-05-13 00:05:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Jazmyn Stone
Tsukino,

If you look at #37 you will see that I said I had some helpful implants.

I will work at posting a screen shot of my Ferox. I could have tried it tonight, but I cloned-jumped into another clone that has some helpful missile implants for running level 4s. I have about 15 hours left so I'll shoot for tomorrow. I really don't run L3s anymore, I only went back to check out a Ferox to see how it would do.

These are my implants that I use for turrets, if you want to check them out and punch them into EFT.

SH603, MR703, MH805, RF903, and LH1003

With them I do better than all Level 5s.

You really need to not take things so seriously. Maybe if you cut down on the caffeine a bit. You started this mess, and now you're trying, and trying very hard, to vindicate yourself. I didn't realize that I would have to write a frackin book to explain everything,

Trust me I will, somehow, get you a shot of the Ferox in game, showing everything you don't want to see. I will also work at getting a screen shot out of EFT.

. . . to be continued.

-Jaz

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2013-05-13 00:28:24 UTC
You don't need to write a book, I just wanna know how you got it to that range using faction antimatter, cause try as I might: I can't do it.
Jazmyn Stone
Perkone
Caldari State
#49 - 2013-05-13 12:52:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Jazmyn Stone
You really don’t have to go to so much explanation. This is just too much drama. Please don’t feel that you have to teach me anything. I know more than you think, but I feel no need to write a thesis. I feel no need to teach or instruct my fellow EVE players. But somehow you must ache inside to get it all out or you will explode. Believe me, I am not impressed with your oratory, nor is anyone else. I have nothing to prove, especially to you. Hopefully, you head will just explode.

I went into EFT and punched in my data. I see now why you are puzzled. I’ve seen the same numbers as you. I cannot explain why there is a difference between EFT and the in-game fitting tool. You’re just going to have to believe me. Or you could train up your skills, get the same implants, jump in a Ferox, and then look for yourself at the numbers in the in-game tool.

Now that I’ve thought about it a little, I’m not going to play your silly game. BTW, I wasn’t comparing my Ferox to your Drake, I was comparing my Ferox to my Drake. I even have another clone with different implants, that I used for the Drake.

A quick re-recap:

1. EFT does not speak the truth. Why the difference, don’t know, don’t care.
2. Yes, I mentioned I had implants in post #37.
3. The ranges came from EVE’s in-game fitting tool, anyone could get the same results
4. I’m using faction ammo, and your using T2 ammo. I don’t need to go into any details.

Who knows maybe I will figure out how to upload a screen shot. I’d love to see the look on your face. I will work on it, but don’t hold your breath. On second thought please do.

-Jaz

Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#50 - 2013-05-13 13:16:39 UTC
Now i'm to lazy to read this arguement..

But if either of you is trying to say that HML's are worse than medium rails

You're terrible.

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2013-05-13 13:45:54 UTC
Jazmyn Stone wrote:
You really don’t have to go to so much explanation. This is just too much drama. Please don’t feel that you have to teach me anything. I know more than you think, but I feel no need to write a thesis. I feel no need to teach or instruct my fellow EVE players. But somehow you must ache inside to get it all out or you will explode. Believe me, I am not impressed with your oratory, nor is anyone else. I have nothing to prove, especially to you. Hopefully, you head will just explode.

I went into EFT and punched in my data. I see now why you are puzzled. I’ve seen the same numbers as you. I cannot explain why there is a difference between EFT and the in-game fitting tool. You’re just going to have to believe me. Or you could train up your skills, get the same implants, jump in a Ferox, and then look for yourself at the numbers in the in-game tool.

Now that I’ve thought about it a little, I’m not going to play your silly game. BTW, I wasn’t comparing my Ferox to your Drake, I was comparing my Ferox to my Drake. I even have another clone with different implants, that I used for the Drake.

A quick re-recap:

1. EFT does not speak the truth. Why the difference, don’t know, don’t care.
2. Yes, I mentioned I had implants in post #37.
3. The ranges came from EVE’s in-game fitting tool, anyone could get the same results
4. I’m using faction ammo, and your using T2 ammo. I don’t need to go into any details.

Who knows maybe I will figure out how to upload a screen shot. I’d love to see the look on your face. I will work on it, but don’t hold your breath. On second thought please do.

-Jaz

I can fly a ferox, I just don't have t2 medium rails (for obvious reasons: they are terrible). I tried fitting it up just naked except the mods that relate to turrets and I get exactly what EFT tells me I will get.

Only time I've ever heard of someone getting something different than what EFT says without explanation is this case.

Do I need to point out that faction ammo is more expensive than T2? Or was that not your point?

Major Killz
inglorious bastards.
#52 - 2013-05-13 14:26:29 UTC
Hmm. I have used a rail-gun Deimos solo and had a really nice time. I have also used rail-gun Talos, Harpy, Enyo and Merlin. Using 2 - 8 Deimos (400 @ up to 40,000m) with an Arazu or 2 can be p I win.

I like rail-guns from small to large but that has to do with a combination of ship AND weapon systems. Same with artillery.

For example: I will not be using rail-gun Eagles. Drones tend to be useful solo too.

- killz

[u]Ich bin ein Pirat ![/u]

Jazmyn Stone
Perkone
Caldari State
#53 - 2013-05-13 23:36:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Jazmyn Stone
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Only time I've ever heard of someone getting something different than what EFT says without explanation is this case.

Do I need to point out that faction ammo is more expensive than T2? Or was that not your point?

I guess you fail. The cost was not the point, want to try again? The point was that you were comparing T2 ammo to faction ammo. T2 does more damage. And it looks like EFT was wrong.

Enough of that, on to the pictures. I think I figured it all out, hopefully you will now see and believe, and you can finally get some rest.

I do not expect or want an apology. Silence will be fine, and I will say no more, and this will be put to an end.

http://imgur.com/wtTMZlB

-Jaz

Love this new tool, thank you.

This one will blow you away:

http://imgur.com/PqyoQ5N

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#54 - 2013-05-14 00:04:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Tsukino Stareine
Well.

I kind of expected something like this but I wanted to wait it out just so you could publicly embarass yourself instead of me having to force it.

Falloff range means OPTIMAL+ ONE FULL ENTIRE FALLOFF

in your first screenshot that means 28km is your OPTIMAL
28+29=47 is your OPTIMAL + ONE FULL FALLOFF

which means 29km is your guns falloff

which means at 47km you do exactly HALF of your turret's DPS shown in that fitting window

The second screenshot is what I'm assuming is with your clone with turret implants in, but same logic follows.

Don't feel too bad about it, you are not and won't be the only one to fall into this trap, it is admittedly VERY confusing and I can see how it makes sense. Unfortunately it just doesn't work that way and unfortunately I was right (this time).

But look on the bright side, you at least learned something :)

Also the 2 people who liked your post: I hoped you learned something too ;3

EDIT: also about the ammo thing, why wouldn't you compare the fits with the optimal charges loaded? We all know javelin is terrible and faction anti is better than it in almost every way, so why would I compare a drake's T2 ammo to the obviously inferior T2 rail ammo?

EDIT2: You need not reply btw, this is understandably extremely humiliating.
Jazmyn Stone
Perkone
Caldari State
#55 - 2013-05-14 00:26:16 UTC
Tsukino, Tsukino, Tsukino . . . you've once again blabber things that everyone knows. We know damage gets reduced at farther ranges you silly twit.

Even now that I've show you the numbers, (guess EFT does lie), you cannot accept it, you're gasping for breath.

The first shot is with my clone with all the implants, the second one was taken in space with the Tracking Computer activated. So, still you keep assuming the wrong things. Time to just give it up.

I'm not embarrassed at all. Actually, I feel pretty good, 'cause I crammed it down your throat.

Even now, at the end, you still try to find fault, when the fault is in you.

Good bye and adios,

-Jaz

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#56 - 2013-05-14 00:28:50 UTC
Give me a F

Give me an A

Give me a C

Give me an E

Somebody slap me!

What does it mean?

eff-ay-cee-Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..........................................PALM!
Jester Cap
A better day
#57 - 2013-05-14 00:38:57 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Give me a F

Give me an A

Give me a C

Give me an E

Somebody slap me!

What does it mean?

eff-ay-cee-Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..........................................PALM!

LMAO. Nobody can say you did not try.

I think once it clicks his forehead will have repeated meetings with his keyboard. LOL.

You silly Tsukino you. Falloffrange is obviously the same as Falloff.
Chris Winter
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
The Curatores Veritatis Auxiliary
#58 - 2013-05-14 01:23:29 UTC
Jazmyn has been quoting his range as "47+28"...which isn't correct at all. The in-game screenshots show it being 28+29.
Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#59 - 2013-05-14 15:34:01 UTC
Chris Winter wrote:
Jazmyn has been quoting his range as "47+28"...which isn't correct at all. The in-game screenshots show it being 28+29.

IMO the error come from the infobubble on the loaded weapon in space which will show 47//28 ; the thing is that the first number is the range with optimale + falloff and the second one is optimale range alone.

Its a confusion.
Jazmyn Stone
Perkone
Caldari State
#60 - 2013-05-14 15:56:58 UTC
I thought this would be over. It’s not that railguns are bad, it’s just that some people don’t have the skills to fully utilize them, and then complain there bad, cause they don’t work good for them.

This whole mess started with the premiss of a false assumption that I did not understand optimal and falloff. So that started the teaching and lectures. It did not need to be done.

It was also assumed because my numbers couldn’t be believed, or found in EFT, I must have made a mistake, or I don’t understand. When really the opposite is true.

Chris, I never said that my “range was 47+28". Don’t put words in my mouth. I knew that 28 was optimal and 47 was falloff. Those numbers came directly from the in-game fitting tool. Confusion arose when they didn’t match what someone put into EFT. EFT shows 29+19, and that more or less does match the 47 in the game. The in-game screen shot does not show 28+29, it shows 28+19, and that equals the “falloff range within 47km.” (Shouldn’t be hard to do the math in your head.)

If you look back on my original post, I said 28-47, not 28+47 or 47+28, and nothing was said about range.

It was pointed out to me that my Ferox would do 35+25 with antimatter. Really? That was wrong, but I didn’t say anything. I didn’t want to nit-pic. (too much). I see you let that one go. Ok, ok, I got caught up in the moment and yes I did say 47+28. That was a mistake. I should have stayed consistent and said 28 optimal, 47 falloff. I have never used the word “range” in any of this, you guys threw it in there. I know antimatter won’t hit out to 75km (47+28). Those two numbers don’t get added together. And I knew damage was less as you get out farther. That is really a given. No one mentioned transversal, but lets not go there.

If you want to nit-pic, don’t just pick and choose my comments, mention everyones. (I know EVE isn’t fair.)

It was also pointed out that 28+29=47. I let that one go too. Seems you guys missed that one too.

The screen shots showed everything, and should have ended this tango. It showed the damage that wasn’t believed, and the optimal and the falloff, that also wasn’t believed. Would you guys just stop.

Jester, sorry, there’s no banging my head against the keyboard here.

-Jaz

Whew, this is getting tiresome.