These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

ISBoxer and other Multi Boxing Software - Should it be banned?

First post First post
Author
Some Rando
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2013-05-12 05:35:53 UTC
The Ninja Gizmosis wrote:
destroy the safety of High sec for carebears.

I endorse this service/product.

CCP has no sense of humour.

Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#22 - 2013-05-12 05:46:50 UTC
Who uses ISBoxer most?
Hisec miners.

2nd most?
mission runners.

3rd most?
incursion runners.

Saying it should be banned on merit of what it is has been beaten to death. Saying it should be banned because it hurts carebearing is an exercise in not thinking.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#23 - 2013-05-12 06:00:08 UTC
What if I'm rich and I pay people to splatter your POS or gank your miner. Should that be banned too?

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Diesel47
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#24 - 2013-05-12 06:07:22 UTC
Who cares, the only thing ISboxers can do well is mine....

Their incursion fleets are jokes and always get contested.
Josef Djugashvilis
#25 - 2013-05-12 06:43:17 UTC
There is a simple litmus test for multi-boxing, does CCP make money from them?

CCP probably, as most Eve players do, feel that multi-boxing is against the spirit of the game, but, money has a very loud and powerful voice for a business which needs to make decent profits to improve the game we all play.

There again, I am sure we all have things we feel are against the spirit of the game.

I think that the buying of ready skilled characters goes against the spirit of the game, (want to fly that shiny ship? train it yourself) but CCP make money from these sales so it is allowed.

I have looked at the link provided by doomlord289, I don't know if I admire the chap involved, or think he is crazy. Probably a bit of both.

This is not a signature.

Destoya
Habitual Euthanasia
Pandemic Legion
#26 - 2013-05-12 07:04:38 UTC
I personally think it should be, not that it matters when the isboxer dudes are fueling so many more subs than average.
Kharamete
Royal Assent
#27 - 2013-05-12 07:50:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Kharamete
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:

Mate, CCP would make billions more than they do now if they made pvp in High Sec consensual and introduced raids and arenas and a theme park. It would attract a lot more players than the current vision. Since CCP don't turn Eve into a themepark MMO and aren't likely ever to, it is clear they're not doing everything for the mighty quid. Sometimes they do things because they think it's the right thing to do for the game, and I wish they would realise that Isboxer is not the right thing for the game.

Multiboxing with an external program like Isboxer is terribly bad for the game since Isboxer is a force multiplier. It is one thing to have one or two alts running at the same time as the main, but Isboxer allows people to go beyond mere human capability and run many more. In fact, the reason to use Isboxer is the ability to run clients beyond normal human capability. Isboxer allows a single user to duplicate the whole effort of a gang or a fleet, making the likelihood of forming resource harvesting gangs less likely.

This has been debated a lot, and I doubt things will change, so I won't bother to get involved in a discussion about it beyond making the above points. So, in relation to the OP, yes - Isboxer use should be banned. It is certainly not good for the game in any form.

CCP FoxFour: "... the what button... oh god I didn't even know that existed. BRB."

My little youtube videos can be found here

Bloody Wench
#28 - 2013-05-12 07:52:52 UTC
Should this be banned? Yes
Will this be banned? Probably not.

It's not the multiboxing code that's the problem it's the environment in which it runs. Namely InnerSpace.

InnerSpace has been used for, and it's my belief that it continues to be used for bots of all descriptions in multiple MMOs.

Also:

I use an AutoHotKey script that emulates Scroll Wheel Acceleration, which is not available on a RAT 7 mouse, but is on my old Intellimouse Optical. It starts with windows, so it's always running. AHK though is also used to macro/script mine, AP0 without injection etc etc, and the only downside is that the client window has to be the focus, so is really only good for one client at a time.

With InnerSpace however you can send commands to a window that doesn't have focus. This is where the problem is.

[u]**Shepard Wong Ogeko wrote: **[/u]  CCP should not only make local delayed in highsec, but they should also require one be undocked to use it. Then, even the local spammers have some skin in the game. Support a High Resolution Texture Pack

Snow Axe
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#29 - 2013-05-12 08:11:17 UTC
Kharamete wrote:
Mate, CCP would make billions more than they do now if they made pvp in High Sec consensual and introduced raids and arenas and a theme park. It would attract a lot more players than the current vision. .

Ask Star Wars: Galaxies how drastically altering your game works out for your subscriber base.

"Look any reason why you need to talk like that? I have now reported you. I dont need to listen to your bad tone. If you cant have a grown up conversation then leave the thread["

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#30 - 2013-05-12 08:13:59 UTC
Snow Axe wrote:
Kharamete wrote:
Mate, CCP would make billions more than they do now if they made pvp in High Sec consensual and introduced raids and arenas and a theme park. It would attract a lot more players than the current vision. .

Ask Star Wars: Galaxies how drastically altering your game works out for your subscriber base.

Well it's a shame that CCP missed out on the unquenchable money fountain that Star Trek Online proved a PvE spaceships grinder could be, that's all I'm saying.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#31 - 2013-05-12 08:14:33 UTC
Kharamete wrote:

Mate, CCP would make billions more than they do now if they made pvp in High Sec consensual and introduced raids and arenas and a theme park. It would attract a lot more players than the current vision.

Can you cite any evidence for this at all?

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

mr ed thehouseofed
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2013-05-12 08:24:27 UTC
doomlord289 wrote:
Lady Areola Fappington wrote:
As for why I feel that way...The commands are sent to each account simultaneously. A normal human wouldn't be able to alt-tab between 40 separate accounts and trigger each on it's own within the same time frame.

Oh really?

Shocked

i want a eve pinball machine...  confirming  CCP Cognac is best cognac

Jack Miton
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#33 - 2013-05-12 08:29:48 UTC
should it be banned? yes absolutely.
will it be badden? no because it's used by people who pay CCP for a lot of subs.

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#34 - 2013-05-12 08:45:35 UTC
Multiboxing is evil.
You use a tool to do something you couldn't humanly do without.

Sometimes I manage two basilisks + 1 dps and I lead my fleet, manually. I know that I'm less efficient than three players, but it's how things are balanced.
Why should my corporation be threatened by a single person coming to us with equal number, without any strategy, no ship variation, just a big blob of the same ships alphaing us ? Is it a good example to attract new people into the game ? To tell them than the OP fleet is the one controlled by one person with perfect alpha (even more perfect than if you had multiple players) ?

(PS : For flamers lacking a target, this is a theoretical question, not something that happened to us)

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

Danni stark
#35 - 2013-05-12 08:49:11 UTC
oh look, this thread again.

like a month ago, we had 2 of these. ccp said multiboxing was fine and that was the end of it.

why hasn't this thread been locked for duplicate thread/lack of content etc?
Ge Hucel-Ge
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2013-05-12 08:50:47 UTC
Jack Miton wrote:
should it be banned? yes absolutely.

then pls ban all those (logitech/razer) macro keyboards too. because everything that people complain about here can be done with these keyboards too.
keyboard + mouse input for multiple clients at the same time is no problem with one keyboard. you just have to dig a little bit deeper in the macro mechanics.

it may not be as comfortable and easy to setup as a real multiboxing software but it works fine.
Ai Shun
#37 - 2013-05-12 09:25:58 UTC
Danni stark wrote:

ISD is off enjoying their weekend?
Danni stark
#38 - 2013-05-12 09:40:03 UTC
Ai Shun wrote:
Danni stark wrote:

ISD is off enjoying their weekend?

can't blame them, i think moderating GD would send any one bat **** crazy.
Kharamete
Royal Assent
#39 - 2013-05-12 09:41:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Kharamete
Malcanis wrote:
Kharamete wrote:

Mate, CCP would make billions more than they do now if they made pvp in High Sec consensual and introduced raids and arenas and a theme park. It would attract a lot more players than the current vision.

Can you cite any evidence for this at all?

Yes. Different things. First...

http://www.alteredgamer.com/pc-gaming/35992-mmo-subscriber-populations/

http://mmodata.blogspot.se/
http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png

These numbers are kind of old, and the subscriber count of one mmo doesn't neatly match the subscriber count of the next one. That goes with the territory for these things.

You will see that even MMO:s that are considered great failures, such as SWTOR have many times the subscriber count than Eve does. In SWTOR's case, in 2012, they had around 2 million subscribers. I do not know what the subscriber count for SWTOR is today.

Second...

Personal experience in trying to introduce this game to friends and coworkers over the years. If I've succeeded in getting 20 people to try it, maybe 4 stayed, the others cited varying reasons for going back to WoW - amongst others not knowing what to do.

Third...

From an indirect sort of market research assumption kind of thing, the fact that nearly all the MMO projects tend to settle on the theme park model tells me that the project researchers probably find that it makes for the easiest profitability. The numbers say that these games have the highest chance for high subscription numbers, and in addition they're not so nightmarishly technical to pull off. Case in point, the next big thing - The Elder Scrolls Online - is a sharded theme park MMO, not a same-server PVP oriented one.

Look, I like Eve the way it is. But Eve is a niche game for a reason. It's fine. I'd love if more games tried to get a niche instead of trying to break WoW's subscriber counts. But the logic and evidence just doesn't support the idea that Eve would be a massive, multi-million account MMO without so serious intervention and change that it would destroy what makes it Eve.

All that, however, is incredibly off topic, so I'll drop it, and just point out, again, that IsBoxer is bad for Eve, under the current model where player interaction and gang play should be awarded.

CCP FoxFour: "... the what button... oh god I didn't even know that existed. BRB."

My little youtube videos can be found here

Zilero
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2013-05-12 10:18:14 UTC
I have no problem with people multiboxing.

I do have a problem with people using out of game software to enhance their multiboxing capabilities.

CCP, please ban ISboxer and similar software.
Previous page123Next page