These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Are railguns really that bad?

First post First post
Author
sabre906
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2013-05-06 11:27:09 UTC
Buzzmong wrote:
Do people not know how to manually fly their ships anymore?

Has everyone got so used to TE's and a few other ships being unbalanced letting them use short range weapons like AC's at good ranges that they've forgotten? Or is it everyone was told heavy missiles were easy mode for PVE that they never learnt to use a turret boat properly?

Yes, rails do have somewhat bad tracking, but it's pretty easy to mitigate that effect if you fly manually and manage your transversal, so I don't understand why everyone is saying they are terribad and can't hit anything.

Of course, the real question is whether they are worth the effort or not...

So you'll manually fly to use rails to achieve... what? Low dps? Where's the reward for all your hard work?Lol
Buzzmong
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2013-05-06 13:23:46 UTC
sabre906 wrote:
So you'll manually fly to use rails to achieve... what? Low dps? Where's the reward for all your hard work?Lol

I did say the real question was whether they were worth the effort or not Big smile
Nessa Aldeen
First Among Equals
#23 - 2013-05-06 14:05:56 UTC
Cipher7 wrote:

Currently I fly Minmatar for PvE and use mostly Arty, but I hate the long refire and not really feeling the aesthetics. I am more of a gun person than a missile or drone person.

Got it in my mind that I'd like to fly railboats, but everyone swears up and down they're horrible.

My support skills are excellent, and I'm willing to take a couple months and skillup rails to t2 to make them shine. Is this worth it?

Also secondary question, which race is better for rails, Caldari or Gallente?

As I said I'm not much of a drone/missile person, please don't suggest a Drake or Raven. Thinking more like Ferox, Rokh, Rail Mega, Moa (eww ugly), rail Thorax, etc.

I would then, ostensibly, continue with rails for PvP and fleet work.

Please advise, thanks.

Yes, they are really that bad. I've tried the Eagle, Astarte and the Proteus with 250mm RGs they are all quite horrid in tracking. The Rokh I guess would come closest to any reason for a 425mm, for sniping in fleets. Having said that, you're better off with Blasters fitted with Null if you're doing PVE. It is sad that Medium RGs continue to be rather horrid.
Hungry Eyes
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#24 - 2013-05-06 21:24:33 UTC
med rails really need some buffs. large rails are fine.
Snyderm
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2013-05-08 18:56:54 UTC
Rails in general aren't bad, but like other people are saying the medium variety sucks. 200mm and 250mm railguns require too much CPU, and the high DPS ammo doesn't have anywhere near enough range to be viable.

This is made worse by the fact that the hulls that use medium hybrids for primary DPS are the worst hulls in the game. Thorax, Brutix, Astarte, Ferox, Diemost, Eagle, etc are quite bad.

Although I kinda like the Moa. The DPS and Tank bonus combo is pretty good. Almost enough to make up for the bad weapon system.

I wish CCP hadn't dropped the ball with the new brutix. I had hopes they would make the hull into something useful. Not to be.
Hesod Adee
Perkone
Caldari State
#26 - 2013-05-08 23:49:54 UTC
DeLindsay wrote:
For Sniping Railguns are fantastic.

For Missions, the damage (on paper) is decent but the damage application (in reality) is F'ING terrible. Even with (3) TE IIs, MR-706 (6% Tracking), (1) Hybrid Metastasis Adjuster I Rig, on a ship with Tracking bonus like the Megathron and using 350 IIs instead of 425s the Tracking is an abysmal 0.03. Even with Javelin (+25% Tracking bonus) you're only getting up to 0.037.

You'd better hope that whatever compliment of Drones you have along don't die before they kill everything that gets too close because your Rails sure as hell aren't gonna scratch the paint of enemy ships up close. Even worse are the Scram Frigs, if you don't have the Drones to kill them and can't tank until someone shows up to help you, might as well say your goodbyes to your beloved ship.

I'd rather use Missiles for Missions with low SP in the Missile Launcher Operation skill tree than Rails as the damage application (not the OMGBBQPWN-EFT paper DPS) can be superior if rigged correctly.

The tracking disadvantage can be negated in PvE. I find that my Hyperion with an afterburner is faster than everything of cruiser size or bigger. Using keep at range causes the NPCs to lose most of their angular velocity as they do their best to get into the range they want to fight at.

Only frigates are a problem, and I have drones for them.
Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#27 - 2013-05-09 08:37:10 UTC
Buzzmong wrote:
I did say the real question was whether they were worth the effort or not Big smile

thats really a player taste. You'd have to see for yourself.

Looking at one of the more dominant hybrid boats, vindi, you get main 2 flavors and it breaks down to how you like thier tradeoffs.

You have blaster vindi. Puts out some pain but you need to close to use it. Some people like this approach, others don't

You have rail vindi. Get you less dps but generally its land in the room and start shooting up rats almost right away.

Either way viable. Me if I was to buy a this example vindi I'd go rails. I had my loads of fun hunting down targets in a torp golem to apply max pain. It was so much fun I sold it. But thats just my personal preference, I like to go long generally. A blaster phile can chime in about why SR is better. All in what you like end of the day.
Agolon
Insight Limited
#28 - 2013-05-09 13:40:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Agolon
Buzzmong wrote:

Has everyone got so used to TE's and a few other ships being unbalanced letting them use short range weapons like AC's at good ranges that they've forgotten? Or is it everyone was told heavy missiles were easy mode for PVE that they never learnt to use a turret boat properly?

Yes, rails do have somewhat bad tracking, but it's pretty easy to mitigate that effect if you fly manually and manage your transversal, so I don't understand why everyone is saying they are terribad and can't hit anything.

I was told to the best way to fly manually is to go to view target and set up you your camera to a strait ahead view (on your target's ship) and keep double click to keep your transversal very low???
I'm just starting to learn Laser's right now and have no experance with gun's.
So was wondering if that's the best way or if there's a better one ? Without watching a tiny # all the time?
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2013-05-09 19:16:48 UTC
Agolon wrote:
Buzzmong wrote:

I was told to the best way to fly manually is to go to view target and set up you your camera to a strait ahead view (on your target's ship) and keep double click to keep your transversal very low???
I'm just starting to learn Laser's right now and have no experance with gun's.
So was wondering if that's the best way or if there's a better one ? Without watching a tiny # all the time?

Yup that's how you minimise transversal, lasers are turrets and behave in the same way

sabre906
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2013-05-10 01:17:32 UTC
Hungry Eyes wrote:
med rails really need some buffs. large rails are fine.

Small rails are fine. Large rails are not. Med rails are beyond helping and should just be removed...Roll
Incindir Mauser
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#31 - 2013-05-10 03:08:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Incindir Mauser
TLDR: Simple answer.

Railguns have a two-fold problem.

Eve Online is about min-maxing your tank and gank.

Small rails are not that bad. Large rails are not that bad. On specific ships, and they have very specific uses.

Railguns fall in the middle. They are neither good nor bad, and thusly are terrible because they are mediocre and confer no advantage other than range.

In Eve Online. Range means nothing. On-grid combat probing totally nullifies firing from extreme ranges. With the new scanning system coming out in Odyssey. It's going to be even easier and "sniping" in the purest sense will be effectively dead with the possible exception of blapping frigates with a Naga.

If you want extreme range killing power start training for T2 cruise missles and look at a jump-drive fit CNR.

So you want to fly a Railboat for PvE... medium rails are still awful.

A rohk or naga can PvE okay. CNR and dual-rep HAM tengu are still the swiss army knives for PvE content.
Tub Chil
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#32 - 2013-05-10 05:49:52 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Rails are fine it's just the medium ones that are a bit of a joke

Why's everyone saying "medium rails are a joke" ALL long range medium weapons are crap, except 720 arties and they are only good because of alpha damage.
When was the last time anyone saw a ship fitted with beams?
long range weapons have problems of their own, medium rails are in line with small/large rails and beams/arties in terms of range/damage/tracking.
Steve Spooner
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#33 - 2013-05-10 16:18:23 UTC
Naga does more DPS with large rails than the Rokh which is funny good times for gate camps with a nice 250km range ship.
Noisrevbus
#34 - 2013-05-10 17:33:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Noisrevbus
I'm not sure if I posted in this thread already, but looking at the abilities and limitations of hybrids you can see it like this:

Small rails hit various breakpoint ranges: 24km, 60km, 100km etc. They hit extremes no other S-LR system can reasonably do, and those extremes still have some plausible niche. At those ranges their damage and accuracy thus become competetive.

For small blasters only certain bonused SR systems hit specific breakpoints outside of 12km, which means that the inability to hit breakpoints (like 24km) is not as much of a drawback.

Most small ships can fit their respective weapons. Even the lowest tiered railgun (the 75mm) have a fairly decent reach, accuracy and damage on a sensible fitting.

For large rails they cover all relevant distances and the damage-to-range scaling is pretty decent. Their comparative damage at 100km and 60km is quite competetive, which means that overshooting your target with Spike is not as much of a drawback.

For large blasters they also hit relevant distances (24km et. al.) and do so with very competetive damage, when considering accuracy none of the L-SR systems hit any specific breakpoints so they are all more or less accurate in the greater scheme of things. They don't need to hit the 60km odd midrange because they were not designed with that in mind - there are both drone and rail options for that.

The medium systems is where it starts to get interesting.

The fitting has been improved, but it's still quite sensitive. In terms of accuracy many of the rail-platforms are sensitive transversal-wise. They have trouble hitting certain breakpoints or when they do they often give up something else (eg., dual-range bonused Blasters hitting point-range but without any damage advantage over other systems that do more damage there, hit even further or track even better. The Rails overshoot, have poor damage output (including alpha, reloads and damage types) and their base accuracy doesn't really shine either.

That last bit is particularily interesting because going back a couple of years that used to be their redeeming feature. With Spike overshooting range on many platforms, and the faction ammunition not gaining any damage leverage at breakpoints such as 100km, that ammuntion still made those platforms the most accuracy platforms at those breakpoint ranges.

That meant, ignoring mobility issues (and fitting issues at the time), that the rail platforms were quite competetive in terms of average damage to high accuracy. It wasn't the strongest niche, but it was something that could be built around and used. The ability to track targets well at 100km and 60km breakpoints without falling too far behind in damage. When Minmatar got MR tracking ammunition that niche was gone. When that change hit, projectiles had alpha, mobile-accuracy, damage types, gun accuracy and ammunition options completely in their grasp. Lasers, drones and missiles preserved their respective appeals (DPS with various other advantages and drawbacks) and niches but the medium rails lost their already restricted and platform-limited appeal.

That means that today there's hardly any reason to use them in any situation over something else, they have nothing they excel at anymore, no matter how miniscule: it's either better to use another system or go size [+1] or [-1].
Daradz Navagel
#35 - 2013-05-10 17:41:32 UTC
Noisrevbus wrote:
I'm not sure if I posted in this thread already, but looking at the abilities and limitations of hybrids you can see it like this:

Small rails hit various breakpoint ranges: 24km, 60km, 100km etc. They hit extremes no other S-LR system can reasonably do, and those extremes still have some plausible niche. At those ranges their damage and accuracy thus become competetive.

For small blasters only certain bonused SR systems hit specific breakpoints outside of 12km, which means that the inability to hit breakpoints (like 24km) is not as much of a drawback.

Most small ships can fit their respective weapons. Even the lowest tiered railgun (the 75mm) have a fairly decent reach, accuracy and damage on a sensible fitting.

For large rails they cover all relevant distances and the damage-to-range scaling is pretty decent. Their comparative damage at 100km and 60km is quite competetive, which means that overshooting your target with Spike is not as much of a drawback.

For large blasters they also hit relevant distances (24km et. al.) and do so with very competetive damage, when considering accuracy none of the L-SR systems hit any specific breakpoints so they are all more or less accurate in the greater scheme of things. They don't need to hit the 60km odd midrange because they were not designed with that in mind - there are both drone and rail options for that.

The medium systems is where it starts to get interesting.

(...)

That means that today there's hardly any reason to use them in any situation over something else, they have nothing they excel at anymore, no matter how miniscule.
As a new player interested in using guns over missles, I found this explanation incredibly useful. Thank you!
Josilin du Guesclin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2013-05-11 09:16:51 UTC
Tub Chil wrote:
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Rails are fine it's just the medium ones that are a bit of a joke

Why's everyone saying "medium rails are a joke" ALL long range medium weapons are crap, except 720 arties and they are only good because of alpha damage.
When was the last time anyone saw a ship fitted with beams?
long range weapons have problems of their own, medium rails are in line with small/large rails and beams/arties in terms of range/damage/tracking.

Heavy Missiles seem to do okay, and they're a 'medium' long-range weapon. I will grant that having the Drake as the primary platform helps - despite the nerfs Drakes are still stupidly tough and still have space for three BCUs, which helps enormously.
Jazmyn Stone
Perkone
Caldari State
#37 - 2013-05-11 18:17:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Jazmyn Stone
Are rail guns really that bad? Maybe, but the Ferox is much better since it's upgrade.

For L3's my ship to go to use to be the Drake, now it is the Ferox. In other posts on this I explained some reasons. I've still been running L3's with the Ferox, and haven't had any trouble in any of them. I think I"ve run all of them.

I even fitted the Gnosis with rails, and tried to keep a similiar fit as the Ferox. Wow, what a disappointment. It really struggled in a few missions.

Here is my Ferox:

2xAnti-em Screen
anti-therm screen

7x250mm Railgun II Caldari antimatter, 28-47km, 424dps (w/o drones) and Caldari Thorium

Pith B-type Large SB 312hp/3.2s
2x Invul. Fld II (varies)
mission specific amp II (varies)
Tracking Comp II (tracking and optimal script)

3x Mag. Fld Stab II
Tracking Enhancer II

tech II drones

I have very good gunnery and support skills, and some helpful implants in one of my clones. This set-up works very well for me.

-Jaz

Always remember Tovil-Toba, and what was done there.

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2013-05-11 18:23:54 UTC
My drake tanks more, does better DPS and at longer ranges

It doesn't use expensive mods either.

I think you just didn't know how to fly a drake.
Jazmyn Stone
Perkone
Caldari State
#39 - 2013-05-11 23:58:20 UTC
Quote:
My drake tanks more, does better DPS and at longer ranges

Your Drake cannot do both.

The Drake use to be very very good, but since the heavy missle nerf is is now average. It has lost it's edge. Oh, you still can give it a good tank, but in order to do so you have to sacrifice dps. Sure with faction scourge, it can put out (for me) about 410 dps, but not all missions do you use scourge, so otherwise it only puts out 273 dps. That's also with 3 Caldari BCUs. It's max range is now about 56km, it cannot hit any further. In my present Drake's fit it's tank can vary between 80 to 94hp/s

My Ferox puts out 424 dps against everything, with only T2 damage mods, and it's tank can do 97hp/s. By changing over to Thorium I can reach out and touch someone at 69km. (though the dps is down to 320)

Quote:
It doesn't use expensive mods either.

I had the Pith shield booster to put on the Ferox so I did. So what. If you aren't using any expensive mods on your Drake that you say is better than this Ferox, then you don't know what your're talking about. Please show us this Drake of yours. Here is my Drake:

3x Purgers

6x HML II (Caldari scourge, 410dps; Caldari Mjolnir, 273dps) range is 56km)

2x LSE II
2x Invul Fld II (varies)
mission specific amp (varies)
10mn ABII or Shield recharger or Target Painter

3x Caldari BCUs
SPR II

Tech II Drones

Quote:
I think you just didn't know how to fly a drake.

What's there to fly a Drake in a L3 mission? Just target and shoot.

Jaz

Always remember Tovil-Toba, and what was done there.

Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2013-05-12 01:46:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Fredfredbug4
Railguns aren't bad at all. Small and Large railguns are very good as both give you unrivaled range for those ship sizes. Rokhs are particularly fun to use, especially when you get to snipe some poor bastard at 200km away. Twisted

Mediums rails are where things fall apart a bit. They aren't bad, but everything else can do their job better.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!