These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Minmatar ships

Author
Kim Ji-Young
Ji Young Kim Bap
#1 - 2013-05-11 15:19:17 UTC
I saw my first one today. So many questions.

1. How do those things fly, I mean, really?
2. See 1. Also when you turn around in space do you have to do it gently so bits don't fall off the sides or what.
3. I haven't seen the inside of one yet. Not planning to change that, but curious - what sort of decor is it? Do the seats hurt to sit on?
4. Can you access Galnet on one or did you have to dock to read this?

I'm serious. Inquiring minds want to know. I assume some of you fly these things.
Rana Ash
Gradient
Electus Matari
#2 - 2013-05-11 15:22:57 UTC
So let me get this straight, you are a pod pilot. You whent thru the education requierd, and this was the very first time you saw a Matari ship?.
Did they skip the ship recognition part of your education?, or have you simply been locked away in some dark isolated astroid in a dead space pocket??
Kim Ji-Young
Ji Young Kim Bap
#3 - 2013-05-11 15:33:50 UTC
Rana Ash wrote:
So let me get this straight, you are a pod pilot. You whent thru the education requierd, and this was the very first time you saw a Matari ship?.
Did they skip the ship recognition part of your education?, or have you simply been locked away in some dark isolated astroid in a dead space pocket??

Well, yeah, they did go through it a little, but when they talked about them being blocks of rust and glue, I thought that was just a bit of poetic exaggeration and typical Amarr Empire confidence building pep-talk stuff like what you get right though all the Institute's courses. I didn't expect to actually see strips of gaffer tape.
kraiklyn Asatru
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2013-05-11 15:40:04 UTC
Imagine how embarrassing it must be for the Amarr to keep getting spanked by us.
Kim Ji-Young
Ji Young Kim Bap
#5 - 2013-05-11 16:00:39 UTC
kraiklyn Asatru wrote:
Imagine how embarrassing it must be for the Amarr to keep getting spanked by us.

You minmatar races certainly are very shrewd. I don't think I'd know what to do if someone asked me to design a ship that could fly and all I had was some solar panels, corrugated iron and a glue stick.
Heinel Coventina
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2013-05-11 16:33:50 UTC
That said though, I do find the solar panels to be a very odd design.

What if it got blasted away by a stray hybrid charge? Does the ship get no power?
Jinari Otsito
Otsito Mining and Manufacture
#7 - 2013-05-11 16:42:13 UTC
Heinel Coventina wrote:

What if it got blasted away by a stray hybrid charge? Does the ship get no power?

You'll be hard pressed to find solar panels on any capsuleer vessels. Closest you'll get might be the solar sails on a certain exploration vessel capsuleers were gifted a few years back, and even they can't be properly called solar panels. I assume you're referring to the "wingy bits" on some Minmatar designs. They may indeed look like vulnerable spots, but they're merely heat sinks. Look at a Minmatar vessel in combat with an IR sensor and those wingy bits look glorious.

From what I gathered from glancing at some blueprints, a few "wingy bits" on certain ships also double as added sensors, but I think those are secondary purposes. Don't take my word as gospel there.

I don't think many will find it surprising when I praise the Minmatar ships again and again in public. I think most will actually get tired of it, by now. It's just that they're surprisingly impressive vessels. The design philosophies are certainly completely insane, but that clearly works magnificently. Solid, efficient, adaptive and overall dangerous vessels that'll perform as well or better than their rival equivalents. If they ever managed to wrap their heads around EWAR, they'd rise head and shoulders above most.

Prime Node. Ask me about augmentation.

Kim Ji-Young
Ji Young Kim Bap
#8 - 2013-05-11 16:48:49 UTC
Heinel Coventina wrote:

I know, right? If I ever have to fight one I'm totally aiming right there.

Jinari Otsito wrote:

You'll be hard pressed to find solar panels on any capsuleer vessels. Closest you'll get might be the solar sails on a certain exploration vessel capsuleers were gifted a few years back, and even they can't be properly called solar panels

Sails, panels... surely it's the same thing just spelled different.

They look like solar panels anyway so whatever. I still don't know how it flies.
Katrina Oniseki
Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#9 - 2013-05-11 17:48:06 UTC
A solar panel is completely different from a solar sail, and both are downright unrelated to heat sinks. If I were new here, I'd be shocked at your display of ignorance. Your education, if it could even be called that, is quite obviously lacking.

Katrina Oniseki

Jinari Otsito
Otsito Mining and Manufacture
#10 - 2013-05-11 17:55:37 UTC
Katrina Oniseki wrote:
A solar panel is completely different from a solar sail, and both are downright unrelated to heat sinks. If I were new here, I'd be shocked at your display of ignorance. Your education, if it could even be called that, is quite obviously lacking.

They'll let anyone become egg yolk these days.

Prime Node. Ask me about augmentation.

Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2013-05-11 18:08:57 UTC
This is quite possibly the most brain dead thread I've seen on the IGS in a while.

Which is really saying something.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Liberty Roach
October Country
#12 - 2013-05-11 18:20:31 UTC
Kim Ji-Young wrote:

Hokies.

Quote:

Pretty fast, and that's the truth. They're mostly made out of nicked stuff, so they has got to be able to make a nice clean get-away.

Quote:
2. See 1. Also when you turn around in space do you have to do it gently so bits don't fall off the sides or what.

Nah. The trick is, after you build them, see, you turn them upside down and give them a good shake. Anything that doesn't come off then is prolly safe.

Quote:
3. I haven't seen the inside of one yet. Not planning to change that, but curious - what sort of decor is it? Do the seats hurt to sit on?

It's different from ship to ship, but most have the seats made from out of old sofas. They is usually quite comfy in fact, but sometimes you has to spray them down so they won't smell.

Quote:

You know, most Minnies I know, they don't need ship computers or anything fancy to get online. These Sebbie dentists, yeah, these dentists use some kind of clever alloy that allows Minnies to connect with Galnet through the fillings of their teeth.

You and I though, we is out of luck, isn't we?

You is welcome.
Stitcher
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#13 - 2013-05-11 18:44:59 UTC
So I take it the ships you saw didn't include the Maelstrom, Loki and Hurricane?

Don't let the downmarket ones like the Slasher fool you, Matari ships are just as solidly engineered and spaceworth as the efforts of any of the other empires, and come with the additional advantage of being easier to maintain and repair.

Sure, I'll take a quantum computer over an electronic one if given the option, and graviton reactors over nuclear fission, but when it comes to lightweight materials science, high-performance propulsion and getting the most performance out of what you have, the Minmatar are a tough act to beat. I'm told the standard-issue dropsuit being used by clone mercs right now is actually just a repurposed version of the vacuum hardsuits used by dock workers.

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

Elenor Torneau
Doomheim
#14 - 2013-05-11 18:49:08 UTC
Kim Ji-Young wrote:

I'm serious. Inquiring minds want to know. I assume some of you fly these things.

1. By using some of the most advanced polymers, physics research and propulsion systems ever conceived. The sheer speed of Minmatar craft, not only defeats the Imperial brickwork you were instructed in, it completely outclasses it.

2. They turn on a dinner plate at breakneck speed.

3. Quite comfortable for one that isn't used to disgusting opulence granted by wealthy birth.

4. They have superior electronic systems compared to Amarrian vessels. One can quite easily access Galnet and host an entire wing of EWAR to support your fleet.

You do your school a disservice by speaking.
Pieter Tuulinen
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#15 - 2013-05-11 19:23:06 UTC
Elenor Torneau wrote:

1. By using some of the most advanced polymers, physics research and propulsion systems ever conceived. The sheer speed of Minmatar craft, not only defeats the Imperial brickwork you were instructed in, it completely outclasses it.

This. Matari ships have incredible tensile strength for the weight of materials used.

Elenor Torneau wrote:
2. They turn on a dinner plate at breakneck speed.

See the point above. It's remarkable to watch them maneuver.

Elenor Torneau wrote:
4. They have superior electronic systems compared to Amarrian vessels. One can quite easily access Galnet and host an entire wing of EWAR to support your fleet.

Wait... Seriously? Superior EWAR? Come on. You were doing pretty well until you claimed THAT. EWAR is one of the areas that Minnie ships don't do so well in.

Elenor Torneau wrote:
You do your school a disservice by speaking.

If her education was defficient then she OUGHT to speak out.

For the first time since I started the conversation, he looks me dead in the eye. In his gaze are steel jackhammers, quiet vengeance, a hundred thousand orbital bombs frozen in still life.

Kim Ji-Young
Ji Young Kim Bap
#16 - 2013-05-11 23:00:55 UTC
Katrina Oniseki wrote:

For everyone talking about my lack of education - I guess they didn't teach us about solar panels and the insides of ships for the same reason they didn't teach us how to make a living scavenging bits of metal out of rubbish tips. It's not really something we need to know, because we've got plenty of energy sources just like we have lots of people to take rubbish away and scavenge bits out of it. If we needed to know things like that, they would teach it.

For all you other people diverting the topic to talking about how minmatar ships are the best, well of course you think that, because that's what you got taught. My educators taught me that my race's ships were the best too, and I'm sure it's the same for every race. However, looking at it objectively, you've got to admit it - you've got some rustbuckets there. The thing I saw (I don't know what it was) wasn't going to win any wars, it wasn't even winning the war against oxidisation. I admit that there's probably better minmatar ships out there that I haven't seen yet, that have proper hulls and gold paint.

Liberty Roach wrote:

You is welcome.

Thanks for some proper answers to my questions, but I don't believe you about the teeth thing.
Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2013-05-12 00:01:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Fredfredbug4
Kim Ji-Young wrote:
. I admit that there's probably better minmatar ships out there that I haven't seen yet, that have proper hulls and gold paint.

There's a Gallente First person Shooter holo-game out where 9 year old kids are led to the belief that the guns with cooler paint schemes are better, than the ones with the default colors, yet the two are exactly the same statistic wise.

So basically what I'm saying here is you are about as intelligent as a 9 year old.

Better stay in school for a bit longer.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Kim Ji-Young
Ji Young Kim Bap
#18 - 2013-05-12 00:10:08 UTC
Fredfredbug4 wrote:
Kim Ji-Young wrote:
. I admit that there's probably better minmatar ships out there that I haven't seen yet, that have proper hulls and gold paint.

There's a Gallente First person Shooter holo-game out where 9 year old kids are led to the belief that the guns with cooler paint schemes are better, than the ones with the default colors, yet the two are exactly the same statistic wise.

So basically what I'm saying here is you are about as intelligent as a 9 year old.

Better stay in school for a bit longer.

I didn't say that gold paint made it fly faster, I just think it shows a bit of class to paint your ship up a bit. Explain to me what's wrong with that.
Liberty Roach
October Country
#19 - 2013-05-12 00:17:47 UTC
Kim Ji-Young wrote:
Thanks for some proper answers to my questions, but I don't believe you about the teeth thing.

I swear it's true, cross my heart and hope to die. My mum's cousin's sister in law is married to a Sebbie, and there's something slightly gone wrong with his fillings. At night, yeah? At night, when they's asleep, and he begins to snore, it triggers this malfunction in his teeth, yeah, and they begin to broadcast Jita Local, loud enough for her to hear. She said it was well creepy the first couple times, but she's used to it by now.

That reminds me, I should really check in on them. They's kinda struggling lately, I heard. Got taken by a scam, the silly woman.
Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2013-05-12 00:29:53 UTC
Kim Ji-Young wrote:

I didn't say that gold paint made it fly faster, I just think it shows a bit of class to paint your ship up a bit. Explain to me what's wrong with that.

You are connecting the mere color of the ship with it's quality, a connection that simply doesn't make sense.

Also, class doesn't mean anything for combat vessels, or industrial ships for that matter.

123Next page