These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Player morality in EVE online. Why did you leave it at the door?

First post
Author
Mag's
Azn Empire
#601 - 2011-11-03 12:07:37 UTC
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:

Good for you. World is full of shallow people. Its easy life.
So I'm now shallow, as well as morally and ethically challenged?

I never knew my life was so easy and interesting tbh. Lol

No you are not morally challenged that makes you shallow .

Your certainty is the factor.

However i may be totally wrong. It doesnt matter you wont change and i got no intention to prove your enjoyment and feeling.
Well you've resorted to personal insults, so how could you be wrong? Big smile

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#602 - 2011-11-03 12:08:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Jaroslav Unwanted
Mag's wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:

Good for you. World is full of shallow people. Its easy life.
So I'm now shallow, as well as morally and ethically challenged?

I never knew my life was so easy and interesting tbh. Lol

No you are not morally challenged that makes you shallow .

Your certainty is the factor.

However i may be totally wrong. It doesnt matter you wont change and i got no intention to prove your enjoyment and feeling.
Well you've resorted to personal insults, so how could you be wrong? Big smile

Can you quote an insult for me? Maybe its language barrier but i cant find any. Seriously i didnt meant anything as an personal insult.
Tallian Saotome
Nuclear Arms Exchange Inc.
#603 - 2011-11-03 12:09:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Tallian Saotome
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:

There is non if "you" are ******* imbecile in real life then its common sense "you" would be ******* imbecile in game.

I just find it hard to believe that community composed mostly of "normal" people would widely appreciate and accept such acts.

Please invest in better machine translation, I don't understand you.

At least, I HOPE that your posts are the result of faulty translation Shocked

Edit: looking at the above, they clearly are. Are you using google translate?

Inappropriate signature removed, CCP Phantom.

Naran Eto
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#604 - 2011-11-03 12:12:50 UTC
Huehuehue wrote:
Abrazzar wrote:
There are no real consequences, so there is no real morality. Games are not real. Do not confuse player behaviour with real person behaviour.

But of course you cannot seperate the two. You do not suddenly turn into another person that has no affect on your real person when you log on. Like I said, I would never ever kill a miner or missioner UNLESS they are in enemy corporation I'm in war with and thus it's part of agreed combat. And how can you say there are no real consenquenses, each player devotes his time, which is the single most valuable asset any human has to this game, and you can bet the missioneer who lost his brand new cnr because you felt the kill mail would look nice does not feel good.

What the hell's agreed about a war dec?

You war dec someone and that's it you can attack them when they're in space whether they like it or not, there's no tick box agreeing to the war (well there is mutual war, but whether it's mutual or not they have a war if you dec them like it or not want it or not).
Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#605 - 2011-11-03 12:12:51 UTC
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:

There is non if "you" are ******* imbecile in real life then its common sense "you" would be ******* imbecile in game.

I just find it hard to believe that community composed mostly of "normal" people would widely appreciate and accept such acts.

Please invest in better machine translation, I don't understand you.

At least, I HOPE that your posts are the result of faulty translation Shocked

Ok especially for you i would go down to "exact example"

Lets say you are married and got twins. Your wife and kids die in an accident.

You are in game and due to some tough luck some people find you and start to abuse you with things about your dead wife and kids/ using your real life attributes as well known facts by them / ...

You are not at your best "psychological" moment at that time / reason are obvious i guess.

So they actually use "real life stalking" to abuse you. I think its even an criminal offense in some countries. But in EVE you claim its normal and the abused person should get the fu*k out.

Good
Naran Eto
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#606 - 2011-11-03 12:16:32 UTC
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:

Reasons why you do stuff are the same, if same rules apply to real life you would do the same, killing innocent for no personal gain just to have fun ..

i would /shrug
Tallian Saotome
Nuclear Arms Exchange Inc.
#607 - 2011-11-03 12:23:49 UTC
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:

You are in game and due to some tough luck some people find you and start to abuse you with things about your dead wife and kids/ using your real life attributes as well known facts by them / ...

You are not at your best "psychological" moment at that time / reason are obvious i guess.

So they actually use "real life stalking" to abuse you. I think its even an criminal offense in some countries. But in EVE you claim its normal and the abused person should get the fu*k out.

Good

No, I think people should not advertise such things in a game that is know to mercilessly exploit any weakness. When people advertise such things, they are saying 'Please be nice to me, I'm fragile' which is not something you want to say in Eve. We are not nice people.

Also, if someone did such a thing to me, I would not go crying, I would set about destroying them. Thats kinda the point of the lack of morality in eve. If someone wrongs you, hit them back.

I have seen people, professional people in position of real power, use the death of a rivals loved one to tear them down within the company. Was it nice? No. Was it moral? Questionable, most businessmen will tell you there is no morality in business. Was it legal? Yes, it was.

Don't think because something isn't 'nice' that its wrong.

Inappropriate signature removed, CCP Phantom.

Mag's
Azn Empire
#608 - 2011-11-03 12:25:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Mag's
Issler Dainze wrote:
Mags, I assume you are a troll, but much like the ducks that sit on my deck I enjoy feeding the wildlife once in a while.
Ahh so I must be a troll because I don't agree. Plus I'm also wildlife. Good start to your argument.

Issler Dainze wrote:
Not every game is the same. A lot of games have clear goals, winning and losing are clearly defined.

Many online computer games that put one player against another are designed in a way that you are intended to be in conflict with another and the cost of losing is small and there is no persistence. You play the game and it goes where it goes. When you log in tomorrow you are mostly where you were before regardless of wins or losses in previous sessions.

Eve is different. Eve allows someone to spend a lot of the only RL currency (time) that matters to build stuff. Eve also allows asshats (tm) to 'splode that same stuff with no consequence. It allows asshats (tm) to play Eve just to mess with folk, to somehow enjoy being an asshat (tm) for the fun of the tears.

Eve is as near as I can figure is the only game where asshats(tm) can actually with no consequence in game destroy the result of someone's substantial RL time persisted work product and hide in a community that seems to thinks its moral,
If you get so emotional attached to in-game items, then that's your problem to deal with. Heaven forbid you should gain a ban and lose the lot.

If a game is designed to be played in a certain way, then that's how it is designed and played.

Issler Dainze wrote:
It's not, it is folks getting pleasure from no other benefit that causing someone else's pain. That you aren't sophisticated in your understanding of the human condition to understand that negating the result of someones efforts that cost them something they can't ever replace (their time) isn't "the way Eve works", it's your failing as a human.
More personal insults and yet you still claim the moral high ground, sweet.

Issler Dainze wrote:
Morality is a personal trait. But there definitely exists a generally accepted definition of "do on to others...". You can pretend that you are playing a game so it doesn't matter but because Eve persists the result of actual RL folks time when you ignore that rule because "messin with folk" is fun for you then you are and asshat rat bastard in game and RL.

Issler
Being able to distinguish between reality and a game, often helps. But hey what do I know, apparently I'm shallow, fail at being a human, a troll, wildlife, have no morals, ethics and a rat bastard in RL. Oh yea and an asshat, let's not forget that. Big smile

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#609 - 2011-11-03 12:26:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Jaroslav Unwanted
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:

Good

No, I think people should not advertise such things in a game that is know to mercilessly exploit any weakness. When people advertise such things, they are saying 'Please be nice to me, I'm fragile' which is not something you want to say in Eve. We are not nice people.

Also, if someone did such a thing to me, I would not go crying, I would set about destroying them. Thats kinda the point of the lack of morality in eve. If someone wrongs you, hit them back.

I have seen people, professional people in position of real power, use the death of a rivals loved one to tear them down within the company. Was it nice? No. Was it moral? Questionable, most businessmen will tell you there is no morality in business. Was it legal? Yes, it was.

True. Unfortunate truth of day to day reality.

But i think he had not provided that particular personal information to anyone in game. Some people just find the way to find out. Which is indeed stalking and an criminal offense in some countries.

As per people in power. Well if you cant hold it you dont deserve it. People in power should be somewhat "bulletproof" against stress. I know it i failed at it.
Naran Eto
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#610 - 2011-11-03 12:30:24 UTC
Naran Eto wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:

Reasons why you do stuff are the same, if same rules apply to real life you would do the same, killing innocent for no personal gain just to have fun ..

i would /shrug

To elaborate, i would very hapily go on a killing spree, and on a daily basis when stressed i day dream about doing so, the only thing stopping me is the fear of being caught and incarcerated. If there was no law to get in the way i would very likely do so. Who knows maybe one day i will snap and do it anyway. Wonder what freud would say about that.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#611 - 2011-11-03 12:32:04 UTC
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Can you quote an insult for me? Maybe its language barrier but i cant find any. Seriously i didnt meant anything as an personal insult.
You called me shallow, was it not meant to be personal? After all you hold all the moral high ground cards.... don't you?

Twisted Alice
Doomheim
#612 - 2011-11-03 12:34:07 UTC
Tallian Saotome wrote:

You do get professional people that are nice as well.

Problem with Eve is it's a game suited for griefers, because they can get away with it under the guise of it's the game mechanics. So you get far more actual real life griefers in this game than most other MMOs.

But at the end of the day you have a choice, if to play an MMO with this kind of environment of play something else.

For me, I've decided to play something else, because I don't see this community going anywhere.
Mortis vonShadow
Balanaz Mining and Development Inc.
#613 - 2011-11-03 12:35:49 UTC
Twisted Alice wrote:

For me, I've decided to play something else, because I don't see this community going anywhere.

Just contract all your stuff over to me before you unsub.

Some days you're the bug, and some days your the windscreen.                   And some days, you're just a man with a gun.

Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#614 - 2011-11-03 12:36:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Jaroslav Unwanted
Naran Eto wrote:
Naran Eto wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:

i would /shrug

To elaborate, i would very hapily go on a killing spree, and on a daily basis when stressed i day dream about doing so, the only thing stopping me is the fear of being caught and incarcerated. If there was no law to get in the way i would very likely do so. Who knows maybe one day i will snap and do it anyway. Wonder what Freud would say about that.

Dont know what he would say. But i definitely endorse such behavior, altho your engagement at such would be suicidal at best.

I would do such if i got superior firepower and i would not attack people i dont know. Only those i claim guilty. But again i alone am guilty because its my deception that other people are what they are. We are unable to comprehend others as well as ourselfs, even best psychoanalyst cant, they all follow the "book" they learned from. They see as some acts are "wrong" because they grew up in society where it is indeed claimed as such.
Yet i say let anyone do whatever he wants. He wants **** and pillage cool he doesn't need to be "changed" he needs to die "at least in the eye of society".

Ultimately : whats better ??

Live whole life pretending you are good guy .. or live few days as an horror of every living creature / if you enjoy it.
Twisted Alice
Doomheim
#615 - 2011-11-03 12:39:52 UTC
Mortis vonShadow wrote:
Twisted Alice wrote:

Just contract all your stuff over to me before you unsub.

Too late already given my stuff away. I have 545.79 isk left and I'm not going to take this character out of the queue just for that.
Naran Eto
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#616 - 2011-11-03 12:41:04 UTC
"A system of morality which is based on relative emotional values is a mere illusion, a thoroughly vulgar conception which has nothing sound in it and nothing true. "

Socrates(BC 469-BC 399) Greek philosopher of Athens
Twisted Alice
Doomheim
#617 - 2011-11-03 12:46:38 UTC
Naran Eto wrote:
"A system of morality which is based on relative emotional values is a mere illusion, a thoroughly vulgar conception which has nothing sound in it and nothing true. "

And this is relevant how?

Sounds to me he's talking about a moral code that is flexible when it suits. Pretty much how griefers view morals.
Naran Eto
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#618 - 2011-11-03 12:47:43 UTC
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Naran Eto wrote:
Naran Eto wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:

i would /shrug

To elaborate, i would very hapily go on a killing spree, and on a daily basis when stressed i day dream about doing so, the only thing stopping me is the fear of being caught and incarcerated. If there was no law to get in the way i would very likely do so. Who knows maybe one day i will snap and do it anyway. Wonder what Freud would say about that.

Dont know what he would say. But i definitely endorse such behavior, altho your engagement at such would be suicidal at best.

I would do such if i got superior firepower and i would not attack people i dont know. Only those i claim guilty. But again i alone am guilty because its my deception that other people are what they are. We are unable to comprehend others as well as ourselfs, even best psychoanalyst cant, they all follow the "book" they learned from. They see as some acts are "wrong" because they grew up in society where it is indeed claimed as such.
Yet i say let anyone do whatever he wants. He wants **** and pillage cool he doesn't need to be "changed" he needs to die "at least in the eye of society".

Ultimately : whats better ??

Live whole life pretending you are good guy .. or live few days as an horror of every living creature / if you enjoy it.

"Men are more moral than they think and far more immoral than they can imagine. "

Sigmund Freud(1856-1939) Austrian fhysician. Founder of Psychoanalysis.
Naran Eto
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#619 - 2011-11-03 12:50:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Naran Eto
Twisted Alice wrote:
Naran Eto wrote:

And this is relevant how?

Sounds to me he's talking about a moral code that is flexible when it suits. Pretty much how griefers view morals.

Exactly.

There is no such thing as morality because it is all relative to your own beliefs, one mans opinion is another mans argument..

What you believe to be imoral, would be to a "greifer" (who's the greifer? the one killing someone or the one telling him not to?) acceptable social behaviour.

Socrates understood this thousands of years ago.
Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#620 - 2011-11-03 12:55:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Jaroslav Unwanted
Naran Eto wrote:

Exactly.

There is no such thing as morality because it is all relative to your own beliefs, one mans opinion is another mans argument..

What you believe to be imoral, would be to a "greifer" (who's the greifer? the one killing someone or the one telling him not to?) acceptable social behaviour.

Socrates understood this thousands of years ago.

Well he certainly lived in another era in another society.

Unfortunately we haven't changed that much.