These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

AFK cloaky ccp sort it out yes/ no

First post
Author
Eram Fidard
Doomheim
#121 - 2013-05-10 19:36:26 UTC
Who is AFK cloaked?

Oh, you can't tell?

So...what's the problem?

Poster is not to be held responsible for damages to keyboards and/or noses caused by hot beverages.

LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#122 - 2013-05-10 19:36:53 UTC
Onomerous wrote:

How can we continue to allow NS to be so dangerous? The last thing EVE needs right now is for NS to be unsafe to undock. ;)

The point is that NS is NOT dangerous. It is PERFECTLY SAFE, if you are in a cloaked ship that doesn't want to be found.
Onomerous
Caldari Black Hand
Caldari Tactical Operations Command
#123 - 2013-05-10 19:36:58 UTC
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Seth Mortis wrote:

Completely disallowing cloaky camping isnt the way to go, but it should come with a price or backside.

The cloaky ship must be at risk, or EVE is not EVE.

THE KEY feature of EVE, I am told, is that no one is safe anywhere. So, the cloaky mechanics means EVE is not EVE.

How is someone in a station at risk?
Zephyrial
Zephyr Corp
#124 - 2013-05-10 19:37:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Zephyrial
Yeah, I guess so. I spent so long in w-space, I wish they just would remove local from just about everywhere but hi sec. Maybe with a few caveats or whatever, but just kill it :D. I still reflexively hit cloak and d-scan when jumping through a star gate.
Onomerous
Caldari Black Hand
Caldari Tactical Operations Command
#125 - 2013-05-10 19:37:54 UTC
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Onomerous wrote:

How can we continue to allow NS to be so dangerous? The last thing EVE needs right now is for NS to be unsafe to undock. ;)

The point is that NS is NOT dangerous. It is PERFECTLY SAFE, if you are in a cloaked ship that doesn't want to be found.

Dang bro... your keyboard is broken. Seems to capitalize at random times. ;)
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#126 - 2013-05-10 19:38:48 UTC
PotatoOverdose wrote:
Simple solution.

Cloak for more than 5 minutes in a system --> remove from local until decloak.

No one will ever complain about afk cloakers again.

30 bombers cloaked on a gate...after 5 minutes they disappear from local. Lone scout jumps in a reports system is clear. Orca or frieghter pilot jumps into system. 30 bombers decloak and OMGWTFBBQ the freighter.

Nope, cant image ANY tears from that. Sounds like a good mechanic. lets do it.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#127 - 2013-05-10 19:39:29 UTC
I have good news.

In Odyssey when you cloak you show up in local for every system of the region.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#128 - 2013-05-10 19:40:46 UTC
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Seth Mortis wrote:

Completely disallowing cloaky camping isnt the way to go, but it should come with a price or backside.

THE KEY feature of EVE, I am told, is that no one is safe anywhere. So, the cloaky mechanics means EVE is not EVE.

that must be some good isht you keep smoking, because you keep trying to twist reality to fit your preconceived notions.

You don't dislike cloaky mechanics because they are"un-eve like, you dislike them because they make Null sec to scary for you to stomach. If you say otherwise you're simply a grown ass man lying on a video game forum LOL.

As I've said, thousands of us "live" in null everyday. I do anoms in upgraded systems every single night unless i get bored with it and do something else. This proves that there is nothing wrong with cloaky campers because they can be avoided and the spice isk keeps flowing.

But , rather than come up with creative ways to combat the problems, you tucked tail and ran to high sec, because a video game is too hard. your campaigning for ccp to bring gameplay down to a less scary level for you is pretty darn weak man.
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#129 - 2013-05-10 19:45:32 UTC
Sentamon wrote:
I have good news.

In Odyssey when you cloak you show up in local for every system of the region.

I read that in Professor Farnsworth's voice.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Mire Stoude
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#130 - 2013-05-10 19:49:42 UTC
AFK is working as intended. If I want to be logged in but not actually have to play the game while simultaneously effecting other people that are actively playing, then I should be allowed to do that. I pay my subscription to not play the game any way I want.
DarthNefarius
Minmatar Heavy Industries
#131 - 2013-05-10 19:58:31 UTC
LifeHatesMe wrote:
With the new patch just round the corner and mining/indy being a big part of it should ccp do something to cloaky ships to stop afk cloakys destroying the game?

defo something should be done.

yes +1

From the lack of likes you seem to be losing this argument.
I like how you don't have a +1 post for a NO VOTE to slant your postition.
An' then Chicken@little.com, he come scramblin outta the    Terminal room screaming "The system's crashing! The system's    crashing!" -Uncle RAMus, 'Tales for Cyberpsychotic Children'
Khemax
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#132 - 2013-05-10 19:59:27 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Seth Mortis wrote:

that must be some good isht you keep smoking, because you keep trying to twist reality to fit your preconceived notions.

You don't dislike cloaky mechanics because they are"un-eve like, you dislike them because they make Null sec to scary for you to stomach. If you say otherwise you're simply a grown ass man lying on a video game forum LOL.

As I've said, thousands of us "live" in null everyday. I do anoms in upgraded systems every single night unless i get bored with it and do something else. This proves that there is nothing wrong with cloaky campers because they can be avoided and the spice isk keeps flowing.

But , rather than come up with creative ways to combat the problems, you tucked tail and ran to high sec, because a video game is too hard. your campaigning for ccp to bring gameplay down to a less scary level for you is pretty darn weak man.

What is your problem...you don't like someone's idea so you sit here post after post thinking of new ways in which to insult them....YOU are what is wrong with this game your attitude is pathetic. You got your point across that you disagree now move on and stop boring the rest of us with your elitist crap.

To the OP +1 all this psychology crap of being able to sit safely up with no chance of being detected is a bit too safe...at very least people should be able to scan you down.
DarthNefarius
Minmatar Heavy Industries
#133 - 2013-05-10 19:59:58 UTC
Onomerous wrote:
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Seth Mortis wrote:

How is someone in a station at risk?

NERF STATIONS!
An' then Chicken@little.com, he come scramblin outta the    Terminal room screaming "The system's crashing! The system's    crashing!" -Uncle RAMus, 'Tales for Cyberpsychotic Children'
Rayzilla Zaraki
Yin Jian Enterprises
#134 - 2013-05-10 20:03:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Rayzilla Zaraki
OK, wait, there is a possibility here.

I like the idea of space depth charges. Wide, low damage explosions meant to de-cloak ships. They could also create a mechanic where cloaked ships need to be scanned down, then the "depth charge" is fired in the area, ship is de-cloaked and can be attacked.

Probably not what the AFK club is looking for as it requires active play, but a fun thought nonetheless.

Oh yeah - Nerf NullSec!

Gate campers are just Carebears with anger issues.

LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#135 - 2013-05-10 20:05:55 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
It wouldn't be anything to me personally, except sad that EVE has strayed from it's roots, which have always (since launch) included non consensual pvp in all space (except noob systems).

And a cloaky camper? Should he be immune from non-consensual PvP?
LifeHatesMe
LifeHatesUsAll
#136 - 2013-05-10 20:07:21 UTC
Rayzilla Zaraki wrote:

I like the idea of space depth charges. Wide, low damage explosions meant to de-cloak ships. They could also create a mechanic where cloaked ships need to be scanned down, then the "depth charge" is fired in the area, ship is de-cloaked and can be attacked.

Probably not what the AFK club is looking for as it requires active play, but a fun thought nonetheless.

Oh yeah - Nerf NullSec!

tbh.. nullsec is pretty ****...blob pvp/sov grind/semi afk cloaky's
LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#137 - 2013-05-10 20:07:54 UTC
Rayzilla Zaraki wrote:

Oh yeah - Nerf NullSec!

It would be AWESOME. Something, anything that could be done.

And heck, all he'd have to do is bounce safes. But at least it would be work to stay safe.
Norm Tempesta
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#138 - 2013-05-10 20:09:09 UTC
I kinda liked it when ol' replicator was around. I made a lot more isk because all my competition was docked.

But afk cloaking does have an effect on the game without the person having to even be in their house. They can be off working, sleeping, or drinking at the bar, meanwhile the people that are ratting/whatever in that system have to use extra precautions to go about their business.

As a result, isk making is slowed down by a person that is absent (sometimes 23/7) because of possible threat. That does mean that a person who is not at their keyboard, and sometimes not even at their house is having an effect on the game in slowing down the economy.

But they only way it actually bothers me personally is that eventually the military index may go down.
LifeHatesMe
LifeHatesUsAll
#139 - 2013-05-10 20:12:26 UTC
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Rayzilla Zaraki wrote:

Oh yeah - Nerf NullSec!

It would be AWESOME. Something, anything that could be done.

And heck, all he'd have to do is bounce safes. But at least it would be work to stay safe.

you missed out they would have to be at the computer...

as ccp keep saying.. Big smile
LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#140 - 2013-05-10 20:13:04 UTC
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
PotatoOverdose wrote:
Simple solution.

Cloak for more than 5 minutes in a system --> remove from local until decloak.

No one will ever complain about afk cloakers again.

30 bombers cloaked on a gate...after 5 minutes they disappear from local. Lone scout jumps in a reports system is clear. Orca or frieghter pilot jumps into system. 30 bombers decloak and OMGWTFBBQ the freighter.

Nope, cant image ANY tears from that. Sounds like a good mechanic. lets do it.

There would not be any tears from pilots losing orcas as you describe above... because

1) the scout would do a dscan
2) the orca would not have been in the prior system, because there without local no miners would be in null anyway. Dscan does not give near enough time to get away before those stealth bombers would land and blow up the exhumers. No exhumers, no need for an orca.