These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What is keeping CCP from adding hotkeys to D-Scan?

Author
Nicola Arman
Deep Maw Salvage
#1 - 2013-05-09 22:21:39 UTC
I'm rather ignorant when it comes to code implementation and the nuances of game design, so maybe smarter players can shed some light on this. Why can't we bind the 'Scan' command to a hotkey?
Nicola Arman
Deep Maw Salvage
#2 - 2013-05-09 22:29:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Nicola Arman
Also from a gameplay perspective, what's the reasoning not to?
Ezio Sotken
Infinite Point
Pandemic Horde
#3 - 2013-05-09 22:35:45 UTC
Currently, the majority of the scan mechanic is done via the scanner box. It might be as simple as that as why there is no direct hotkey. Also, pinpoint scanning (using scan probes) requires manual operation, so there cannot be hotkeys there as well. Msybe there could be a hotkey for basic scanning once Odyssey comes along. Alot of exploration and scanning operations will be altered then. There might be a hotkey for basic system scanning, but that might be it.
Nicola Arman
Deep Maw Salvage
#4 - 2013-05-10 00:42:15 UTC
I'm referring solely to the D-Scan and the list it provides everytime it's clicked. I feel like it should be possible to assign a key like all your other mapped queues. I feel like it's a quality of life hindrance to not have that option.
Ezio Sotken
Infinite Point
Pandemic Horde
#5 - 2013-05-10 02:52:34 UTC
Nicola Arman wrote:
I'm referring solely to the D-Scan and the list it provides everytime it's clicked. I feel like it should be possible to assign a key like all your other mapped queues. I feel like it's a quality of life hindrance to not have that option.

Ok, a d scan hotkey would be cool, but I doubt it will ever happen. Why? D Scan tells us what kind of ships are within blah distance from your current location. It can also be used to pinpoint someone's location without probes ( much harder though) . It most likely never get a hotkey because of its use. Give it a hotkey and D Scan will be more abused. Also, you must open the scanning window to activate D Scan anyways. Every hotkey currently does not activate a window. This maybe a reason too.

In a nutshell, this kind of hotkey will probably never happen.
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#6 - 2013-05-10 06:36:27 UTC
Meh, I rather think it is just one of those small things slowly dying in backlog. Anybody who uses d-scan spams it anyway every few seconds, hotkey would just make it more efficient because you could avoid moving your cursor from whatever you are doing with it atm. And I bet majority of people doesn't use d-scan because they have no idea it exists or what exactly it does.

Invalid signature format

Paikis
Vapour Holdings
#7 - 2013-05-10 08:14:44 UTC
Allowing a hotkay would make it macro able. I sure that is about the only reason it hasn't been done.
Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#8 - 2013-05-10 12:03:54 UTC
A lot of this will change in Odyssey but for what it's worth... If the d-scan window is active you can just hit enter repeatedly instead of clicking. Click elsewhere and you lose it though.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Robert Caldera
Caldera Trading and Investment
#9 - 2013-05-10 12:25:35 UTC
yeah the lack of hotkey for the scan button annoyed the f*ck of me already in the past, you need to click that goddamn button over and over. pathetic. Especially if you try to narrow down your target a scan button would be extremely useful, I guess its the reason they didnt implement that yet.
feihcsiM
THE B0YS
#10 - 2013-05-10 16:01:57 UTC
And an AU / KM toggle. Oh please please please!

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Max Von Sydow
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2013-05-10 16:16:45 UTC
I wish we could just put in on repeat or something.

And don't say that this would make the game easier and less complicated. Spamming a button is neither hard or complicated, just 100% ******* annoying.
Texty
State War Academy
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-05-11 19:23:15 UTC
I'd like to see a range slider as well.
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2013-05-11 19:47:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Tsukino Stareine
New in odyssey:

D-scan will now have a maximum range of 10,000,000km
range slider now in %
Maximum angle 90 degrees
Minimum angle 30 degrees
Does not report ship type only name

New skill added: Directional-scanning proficiency

Rank 1: Extends range to 100,000,000km and gives the range slider units in km
Rank 2: Extends range to 500,000,000km and extends max angle to 360 degrees
Rank 3: Extends range to 1,000,000,000,000km and now lists ship type.
Rank 4: Extends range to 2,000,000,000,000km and minimum angle now reduced to 5 degrees
Rank 5: Added function to pulse d-scan every 15 seconds automatically, however reduces max scanning range to 50,000,000km. Ability to change range units into au or km as you please, minimum angle now 1 degree.

Reasons behind the changes:

Not everyone knew about d-scan, adding a skill related to it makes it clear to everyone this tool exists.

Won't affect people who don't use it already

Gives people who do use it some additional function and quality of life along with improved accuracy at max rank.
Nicola Arman
Deep Maw Salvage
#14 - 2013-05-13 01:34:37 UTC
You're joking right?
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2013-05-13 02:17:47 UTC
no thats what I would like to see
Paikis
Vapour Holdings
#16 - 2013-05-13 02:40:31 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
no thats what I would like to see

You're not allowed to have ideas anymore.