These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Test Server Feedback

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Odyssey Feedback Request] New Sensor Overlay

First post First post
Author
Inna Cristiana
GucciGang
#141 - 2013-05-09 20:00:40 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:

• It runs once automatically every time you enter a system (undocking, jumping, bridging, whatever) so that you can get a glimpse of what's out there to find.

• Can that be turned off?
    Fearless Leader2
    Sebiestor Tribe
    Minmatar Republic
    #142 - 2013-05-09 20:06:30 UTC
    xttz wrote:
    Xer Jin wrote:
    dumbing down eve one patch at a time :\

Downvote.

It looks cool, and offers the same feature but with less Spreadsheets: Online

no it does not by any means
    Rebecha Pucontis
    Doomheim
    #143 - 2013-05-09 20:25:50 UTC
    Inna Cristiana wrote:
    CCP Fozzie wrote:

• It runs once automatically every time you enter a system (undocking, jumping, bridging, whatever) so that you can get a glimpse of what's out there to find.

• Can that be turned off?

Yes, you can turn it off as mentioned in the OP.
    impli
    Ministry of War
    Amarr Empire
    #144 - 2013-05-09 20:26:37 UTC
    hi,

tested the new stuff scanthingy overlay .. can you make the effect of the ongoing scan a little bit more transparent . its a little bit annoying .. I mean for the first run after undock and gate jump its ok to be a little more less transparent .. but if you running the scan all the time its some how ruining the graphics. just do it a little bit more transparent would solve that issue ...

for the scanning thingy .. overall .nice work.
    Rebecha Pucontis
    Doomheim
    #145 - 2013-05-09 20:28:13 UTC
    Fearless Leader2 wrote:
    xttz wrote:
    Xer Jin wrote:
    dumbing down eve one patch at a time :\

Downvote.

It looks cool, and offers the same feature but with less Spreadsheets: Online

no it does not by any means

Love it when people who clearly have no clue comment. The old scanning overview was far superior in terms of its features. Eve is spreadsheets online so CCP might as well accept that fact and give us the proper scanning overview back.
    Bienator II
    madmen of the skies
    #146 - 2013-05-09 20:30:21 UTC
    îs it intended that you can't see the tags at the edge of the screen? (as indication that they are behind the cam)

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Ethan Revenant
    Adhocracy Incorporated
    Adhocracy
    #147 - 2013-05-09 20:33:01 UTC
    Omnathious Deninard wrote:
    Another thought about this would be to have it show only 100% anomalies, and only show sigs when a DSP has been launched and scanned.

This I like (although with cores or combats, assuming that DSPs get the boot). It preserves the sense of discovery from finding something that was previously completely hidden (yes, having every sig ever show up does kill the mystery) and integrates it with something that encourages you to look at the pretty space around you instead of a black and white map made of lines and dots.
    Jack Ogeko
    Republic University
    Minmatar Republic
    #148 - 2013-05-09 20:38:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Jack Ogeko
    if you wish to change dsp method of scaning and make it more common for ppl by removing deep space probe and give sensor overlay is ok, but, sensor overlay need then meet some conditions; it can not stay in this way that is now. if this not meet this things, you should back deep scan probes.

must have 256 au range

results of sensor overlay scan must be placed and/or in scan result window in system scaner window, not only aroud you in space, spinning your ship in every direction every time is just stupid, i can do this with out your new future.

sensor overlay scan results in system scaner window, should have info with basic signal strength and signal strength modifaied by scaning if you scaning current site, distance, be in system scaner window during scaning by probes or on-board scaner if sensor overlay scan is active

sensor overlay scan should have refresh option, not only when you jump or undock at system. becouse sometimes sites spawn when you are in system. it can refresh when you press analyze button in system scaner window when you sacaning by scan probes or on-board scaner. then you in this same action also refresh sensor overlay scan.

sensor overlay scan, should use scan result filter from system scaner window
    Fearless Leader2
    Sebiestor Tribe
    Minmatar Republic
    #149 - 2013-05-09 20:43:47 UTC
    Van Kuzco wrote:
    Tanaka Aiko wrote:
    Someone asked me an interesting question ; with this new scanner, as it can check new things every seconds, you should be able to know when a new wormhole appear on your system without doing anything (I can't test that, but on theory it should from what I understand). This seems a bit OP (but on the same level as the grav -> ano change... on the other side), did CCP though about it?

jonnykefka wrote:

Right now, one of the primary methods of finding PvP in W-space is to chain-roll your static. This finds you PvP in two critical ways:

a. You cycle through many systems very rapidly, so if a system is dead you don't have to waste time scanning your way down a chain to find something that may or may not be there.

b. Your prey may not notice that you have opened into their system, giving you a crucial element of surprise. The primary mechanics of w-space rotate around denial of intel. No local, dscan dependance, etc. The ideal way (from an attacker's perspective) for someone to notice your presence in a w-space system is when you tackle them as the fleet lands. Ideally, they shouldn't even know that your wormhole is in their system until they've already been podded.

Potential problem 1: The list. If the list produced by the continuous scan includes signatures, then it will be VERY easy to spot a new one. Just ignoring all existing signatures would be enough, which is of course what we do now but with probes, which we have to manually cycle. Automating the process makes it too easy. I think the list needs to include anoms, but for this reason alone I think it's worth NOT having signatures in that list.

Please don't include signatures on the list (or put in some sort of delay). It turns the Discovery Scanner into a limited form of local in wormholes.

Real time intel should have to be tediously worked for (through DSPs, probe coverage, alts and/or friends, constantly scanning) not just handed out to anyone passing by (or swinging their camera around the screen).

The absolute best thing about wormholes is the hunt and the threat of being hunted. Signatures appearing on the overlay will gut these two things.

its a balance, gives one toon the chance to insta warp to a site, gives another toon a chance to not be there, so who is paying the most attention and playing eve ? also a fair swap for loosing the DSP that used to be used for this.
    Caljiav Ocanon
    The Holy Rollers
    #150 - 2013-05-09 21:15:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Caljiav Ocanon
    Give us a way to disable this thing going off after every jump unless we want it to.

If there is a way I haven't found it yet. I have a red "X" over the eye in top portion of the radial menu like someone else suggested but that keeps it running.

And the list is still useful, don't take it way.
    Lanek Thall
    Doomheim
    #151 - 2013-05-09 21:19:58 UTC
    First Impressions:

1) I hated scanning and think that it is a lot easier to scan the signatures but still needs enough effort to make it a bit of a chore.

2) WHY are ore sites instantly warp-to-able when it would realistically take less than 10 mins to scan every signature in a system now? Is this done to aid miners or hulk hunters?

3) Do ore anoms restock every 4hrs or is that just ice?

4) Anyone else think hi sec belts will get slightly quieter now?
    Two step
    Aperture Harmonics
    #152 - 2013-05-09 21:21:06 UTC
    Please add a way to turn off the sound, for those of us that know EVE has sound

CSM 7 Secretary CSM 6 Alternate Delegate @two_step_eve on Twitter My Blog

Faulx
    Brother Fox Corp
    #153 - 2013-05-09 21:25:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Faulx
    Please look at this well crafted and elegantly linked example of how you should "get away from spreadsheets in space."

Use a good ol' fashion 2D map.
    Fearless Leader2
    Sebiestor Tribe
    Minmatar Republic
    #154 - 2013-05-09 21:25:17 UTC
    CCP Fozzie wrote:
    Gilbaron wrote:
    Does the overlay change once I scanned stuff to 100 percent?

Not in the version on SISI now. It's possible that feature may make it into Odyssey but we cannot promise that at this time.

Gilbaron wrote:

Do I still get a list?

The list view onboard scanner is still in this version of SISI, but we are planning on removing it barring any major problems with the sensor overlay. Ideally we want to keep the number of tools people need to learn the same with this change, not increase it.

there are lots of quotes on this already I know, and the new look pretties are cute for those that need em, but I will also say please KEEP the list, so much simpler, faster, cleaner.
    Bum Shadow
    Viziam
    Amarr Empire
    #155 - 2013-05-09 21:36:52 UTC
    It would be really nice if we could click the anom in space, and our camera would pan to it (like clicking anything else)

I'd like this so i can click and pan to an anom to fire off a focused Dscan burst. Manually lining up is fine but, camera panning is nicer :)

adding the results of the sensor sweep to the system scanner so we also have a "Spreadsheet" version for us mega spreadsheet nerds as well as the nice graphical interface in space would also be welcome.
    Nalha Saldana
    Aliastra
    Gallente Federation
    #156 - 2013-05-09 21:48:56 UTC
    All the Faction Warfare sites show up all the time in lowsec, they are annoying and i want them filtered out!
    CCP Habakuk
    C C P
    C C P Alliance
    #157 - 2013-05-09 22:10:27 UTC
    Quote:
    When the sensor overlay is disabled, the mouse-over popups for anoms and sigs still display in space when you mouse-over their location (even though no icon is seen). This would be infuriating during a battle.

This is a known issue and should be fixed soon.

CCP Habakuk | EVE Quality Assurance | Team Five 0 | (Team Gridlock)

Bug reporting | Mass Testing

Vincent Mayer
    BOWA Heavy Industries
    #158 - 2013-05-09 22:36:16 UTC
    Unforgiven Storm wrote:
    CCP Fozzie wrote:
    As seen at Fanfest!

• Tell me I can disconnect this.

When I'm running around jumping gates going from point a to point b I might not be interesting at all on what is out there or care.

Tell me I can disconnect this.

When I'm jumping a gate or from a titan into the middle of a combat the last thing I need is more stuff to fill my screen with effects and information I don't need to see at that moment.

Tell me I can disconnect this.

When I'm running around taking care of my poses or planets (PI) I don't want to see this

Tell me I can disconnect the auto run and have full control of when and how many times it runs, if needed. Thank you.

THIS, from the second i saw this at fanfest i was really hoping it would be a 100% optional thing, if i'm hauling, pvping, jumping/bridging, i don't care about this and want to have 100% control over when the scan runs, not just if its persistent or not, i want to chose when it runs when i want it to run, and it really should be. I'm sure a lot more people will as well.
    Omnathious Deninard
    University of Caille
    Gallente Federation
    #159 - 2013-05-09 22:49:21 UTC
    Ethan Revenant wrote:
    Omnathious Deninard wrote:
    Another thought about this would be to have it show only 100% anomalies, and only show sigs when a DSP has been launched and scanned.

This I like (although with cores or combats, assuming that DSPs get the boot). It preserves the sense of discovery from finding something that was previously completely hidden (yes, having every sig ever show up does kill the mystery) and integrates it with something that encourages you to look at the pretty space around you instead of a black and white map made of lines and dots.

The thought was to make DSP useful again, and all but necessary for exploration.

On another thought, is it possible to standatdize the size of probes and then just flag combat probes for the expanded probe launcher.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Derath Ellecon
    ATRAX.
    Shadow Cartel
    #160 - 2013-05-09 23:22:02 UTC
    I'm sure some if not all of these thoughts have already been presented, if so just consider this an additional "vote"

I understand the desire to make EVE less spreadsheets in space, but in my opinion that shouldn't mean removing the spreadsheets from space. It should be removing the spreadsheets from being mandatory.

What I mean by this is that the system scanner needs a tab on the scan window to display the results. It isn't required, but give pilots the option. It also makes certain tasks more precise and less tedious.

As an example. I jumped into a system and was presented with very nice looking icons in space. Several combat anoms and a couple mining anoms. I wanted to warp at range to the mining anom, but it was almost on top of a combat anom. I spent a noticeable amount of time trying to get my mouse hovered over the correct icon in space, finally got it, warped at 30km. And bam, I landed on the combat anom.

Or, I could right click the list and warp to.

This list should also have the "use tracking camera" option like dscan. I mean you added that camera for us to use right?

On to usability.

This new system scanner HAS to integrate with the rest of the scanning functions. Otherwise it is basically eye candy.

1. If I ignore something in my scan window, it should disappear from the overlay.
    2. If I scan a signature to 100% it should change green in the overlay.