These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Test Server Feedback

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Hacking is now horrible...

Author
Pysiphon
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2013-05-09 12:15:15 UTC
I LOVE the new scanning changes, once the known bugs are fixed the new system will be amazing and cut down a lot on the scan time but once you scan down the exploration sites that is about where the fun stops.. I don't know if it is going to change before live release but the current system is frustrating beyond belief. The system currently doesn't reflect skills well (something I imagine is still a work in progress as skills do not change anything from what I have seen) nor does it come in varied difficulty. If you are going to have a minigame to do this you should make 3 difficulties based on the sec status you are in. There is next to no way a newb is going to be able to complete the minigame as it is. There are WAY to many nodes and WAY to many of them have bad crap in it and the help nodes are few and far between if there at all. Even then if you luck your way into one of the boards you can actual "win" you get another wack-a-mole game trying to get the containers with your loot in it, and you have to repeat this process 3-7x depending on the site!? Just so I'm clear first we have to train scan skills up quite a ways to even scan down these sites, then we gotta train skills to make this minigame even possible to win (although at this point even that is an exaggeration) and then we gotta click in space for containers (something that has always been laggy/ hit and miss in EVE)? I realize you want to get away from the "spreadsheet" feel of the game but really this is not the answer. I wouldn't mind more interactivity to hack a system but the minigame as is currently feels is just to clunky, difficult, frustrating and I would hope it gets looked at much more closely and majorly (if not completely) overhauled to a new system entirely, because If I had to pick I'd rather have to stare at my modules cycle 10 times to gain access then beat my head against this system.
monkfish2345
Comply Or Die
Pandemic Horde
#2 - 2013-05-09 13:09:01 UTC
Pysiphon wrote:
I LOVE the new scanning changes, once the known bugs are fixed the new system will be amazing and cut down a lot on the scan time but once you scan down the exploration sites that is about where the fun stops..

I don't know if it is going to change before live release but the current system is frustrating beyond belief. The system currently doesn't reflect skills well (something I imagine is still a work in progress as skills do not change anything from what I have seen) nor does it come in varied difficulty.
If you are going to have a minigame to do this you should make 3 difficulties based on the sec status you are in. There is next to no way a newb is going to be able to complete the minigame as it is. There are WAY to many nodes and WAY to many of them have bad crap in it and the help nodes are few and far between if there at all.
Even then if you luck your way into one of the boards you can actual "win" you get another wack-a-mole game trying to get the containers with your loot in it, and you have to repeat this process 3-7x depending on the site!?

Just so I'm clear first we have to train scan skills up quite a ways to even scan down these sites, then we gotta train skills to make this minigame even possible to win (although at this point even that is an exaggeration) and then we gotta click in space for containers (something that has always been laggy/ hit and miss in EVE)?

I realize you want to get away from the "spreadsheet" feel of the game but really this is not the answer. I wouldn't mind more interactivity to hack a system but the minigame as is currently feels is just to clunky, difficult, frustrating and I would hope it gets looked at much more closely and majorly (if not completely) overhauled to a new system entirely.

If I had to pick I'd rather have to stare at my modules cycle 10 times to gain access then beat my head against this system.

there you go it's vaguely readable now at least.
David Campbell
Primas Custos
#3 - 2013-05-09 13:12:50 UTC
Thank you for the formating, I could read the OP.
Borgh Brainbasher
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2013-05-09 13:19:20 UTC
I found it aanoying as well.

First there is no indication what you need to do to a container to activate it. I hammered my analyzer for a while and kept getting the ambiguous "this does not work" message. Then I disdovered the radial menu that leade to the minigame. Ok minigame.

holy flubge its slow. it took a me almost half a minute to progress a node, no idea why and if this is a feature or just a very laggy process. It almost looked like a hardware issue apart from the fact that my machine is brand new.

And then it closed for no apparent reason.
monkfish2345
Comply Or Die
Pandemic Horde
#5 - 2013-05-09 13:19:44 UTC
David Campbell wrote:
Thank you for the formatting, I could read the OP.

sadly i can't do anything to make it any sort of constructive feedback.

personally i like the idea of the change, but i worry about how this will work out in situations where you might get caught 'pants down'

I will have to take a look at it tonight see how obstructive the window is and how easily you can abort to protect yourself etc. as well as if there is any penalties to aborting etc.
Johan Toralen
IIIJIIIITIIII
#6 - 2013-05-09 13:21:18 UTC
The minigame obviously isn't implemented and working as intended yet so i will wait with my judgement.

Too many nodes sounds legit tho, assuming there are multiple minigames for one and the same site. It would be a clicking fest.
But i'm not so sure. Could be ther's only one minigame per site and the different containers we see now is just a representation of the different loot that will be jettisoned all at the same time.
Haulie Berry
#7 - 2013-05-09 15:15:02 UTC
Johan Toralen wrote:
The minigame obviously isn't implemented and working as intended yet so i will wait with my judgement.

Yeah, in its current state it's pretty terribad. The game needs a lot of refinement - the current version is far too hard on one's fingers and far too easy on one's head.
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2013-05-09 15:18:27 UTC
I have found some Data sites but no mini game ever started.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Haulie Berry
#9 - 2013-05-09 15:22:21 UTC
Omnathious Deninard wrote:

You need to go up to the container and rightclick->open (not open cargo).
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2013-05-09 18:24:45 UTC
Haulie Berry wrote:

When I do that the container just opens, no mini game ever loads.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Sipphakta en Gravonere
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2013-05-09 18:28:14 UTC
Haulie Berry wrote:

When I do that the container just opens, no mini game ever loads.

To repeat what Haulie said:
You need to go up to the container and rightclick->open (not open cargo)
Ting Mei
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2013-05-09 18:38:44 UTC
I don't know if i understand what to do in that mini games, but i tried 20 times, and i never succed !
Haulie Berry
#13 - 2013-05-09 18:48:40 UTC
Ting Mei wrote:
I don't know if i understand what to do in that mini games, but i tried 20 times, and i never succed !

I wouldn't worry about it overly much right now. It's obviously an incomplete version and going to be improved.