These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Player morality in EVE online. Why did you leave it at the door?

First post
Author
Mag's
Azn Empire
#581 - 2011-11-03 08:05:56 UTC
Michael Holmes Holmes wrote:
I love how the griefers just tend to run the debate in circles because they can't seem to admit that acting like a bully in game is no better than acting like one out of game.

Is that too much for you griefers to process? Do you need us to spell it out any more plainly?

We don't care if you kill other players, just don't be a jerk about it and "extract tears" because that turns the whole event from being about blowing up internet spaceships to harassing the other player.

I guess you are cool with that though...because you are all dark and evil and nobody understands your pain.
Process this: Game=/= RL. Blink

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#582 - 2011-11-03 10:12:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Jaroslav Unwanted
Mag's wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Stuff......
What?

Freud .. interesting guy if you ask me. The only reason why i am ****** up psycho emo idiot.

anyway RL is different than game..

so once you play game you are different person or are you dead ?? or what ?

Reasons why you do stuff are the same, if same rules apply to real life you would do the same, killing innocent for no personal gain just to have fun ..

edit.

by innocent i mean people you never met therefore you have no personal opinion/view on them

second edit.

also have fun is only reason why one should live.. therefore i am not an judge of mass murderes or rapist or whatever they do what they feel and for that they have my respect.

third edit.

personal life execution ...

i found out than on certein drugs and alcohol i still feel/react , as for my observation of such reaction .. i allways get in the way of someone doing harm to someone i deem innocent in the conflict or i feel that force used is inappropriate. But thats mostly about me.

I claim responsibility for my feeling and thoughts... reason why i am ****** up. Observation from 3rd point on me done by myself.
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#583 - 2011-11-03 10:19:30 UTC
Mag's wrote:

So why did you play again?

It is interesting to see how that mental construct is used as some kind of protection. It's not related only to EVE, but many people seem to think that somewhere between a keyboard, cpu and modem is a line separating "Real Life" from... what, Virtual World? Fantasyland? Alternative Reality? 7th Dimension, where your acts upon other people become non-acts :D

"I might write like an angry bastard on the forums, but I'm actually pretty chill in RL"

Process this: the game is just a part of your RL.

Tallian Saotome
Nuclear Arms Exchange Inc.
#584 - 2011-11-03 10:29:52 UTC
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Stuff......
What?

Freud .. interesting guy if you ask me. The only reason why i am ****** up psycho emo idiot.

I refuse to accept Freud. If I do acept his teachings, then I have to admit I fly a virtual penis through virtual space because I want to sleep with my mother.

The truth is I fly a virtual penis through virtual space because I want to impress hot chicks(or are probably gonna be virtual as well).

Also, this game is NOT part of my RL. Its not real. Not one can actually be hurt unless they are so emotionally invested that they allow it(which is a problem in and of itself)

I am not a ganker, griefer, or scammer, but I don't think less of other people for doing it, and occasionally even share some of the tricks I have picked up reading various forums. Its a game, and outsmarting the other guy is part of it.

Sadly, victims frequently show up to the battle of the wits in space completely unarmed. Sounds like a personal deficiency, myself, being dumb enough not to prepare for the fight you know is coming your way.

Inappropriate signature removed, CCP Phantom.

Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#585 - 2011-11-03 10:33:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Jaroslav Unwanted
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Stuff......
What?

I refuse to accept Freud. If I do acept his teachings, then I have to admit I fly a virtual ***** through virtual space because I want to sleep with my mother.

The truth is I fly a virtual ***** through virtual space because I want to impress hot chicks(or are probably gonna be virtual as well).

Also, this game is NOT part of my RL. Its not real. Not one can actually be hurt unless they are so emotionally invested that they allow it(which is a problem in and of itself)

I am not a ganker, griefer, or scammer, but I don't think less of other people for doing it, and occasionally even share some of the tricks I have picked up reading various forums. Its a game, and outsmarting the other guy is part of it.

Sadly, victims frequently show up to the battle of the wits in space completely unarmed. Sounds like a personal deficiency, myself, being dumb enough not to prepare for the fight you know is coming your way.

You are in it for an challenge, thats perfectly acceptable.

Your view on Freud teaching are misguided, i would suggest to read some of his stuff, however i find it something hard to read.

But what challenge can an "even perfectly tanked hulk" be to an gank maelstrom ? even full fleet would not safe him unless they suicide gank said Maelstrom Big smile

dissclaimer : i lost an hulk on my alt and didnt feel as i lost since it already made up for an charon and enough money for another, i time to time give free faction ships to noobs, even faction fitted ships.

I am aware that they will lose it be it to rats or other players and they will HTFU so they wont feel emotional attachment to things.

In someway i am not against suicide ganking, however i am against "rage" caused by itself. Hmm sounds like i am contradicting myself...

I once killed an cyclone an low sec, who was ratting. Once i saw what fit he used i mailed that guy and gave him some fits and explanation and offer to refund his loss.

But thats still about me mostly. I am what i am and i am sorry.
Alpheias
Tactical Farmers.
Tactical Farmers
#586 - 2011-11-03 10:36:25 UTC
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Stuff......
What?

Well, I am glad we got that covered. That you are the ****** up psycho emo idiot, and not me because I enjoy blowing people up in a internet spaceship game.

All because of Freud...

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#587 - 2011-11-03 10:39:02 UTC
Alpheias wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Stuff......
What?

Well, I am glad we got that covered. That you are the ****** up psycho emo idiot, and not me because I enjoy blowing people up in a internet spaceship game.

All because of Freud...

Unnecessary comment. But if it made you happy.
Tallian Saotome
#588 - 2011-11-03 10:40:08 UTC
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:

Your view on Freud teaching are misguided, i would suggest to read some of his stuff, however i find it something hard to read.

But what challenge can an "even perfectly tanked hulk" be to an gank maelstrom ? even full fleet would not safe him unless they suicide gank said Maelstrom Big smile

The challenge comes from catching someone, not dealing the damage. Your right, you aren't gonna survive a gank squad, so why be there for them to catch you?

Mine aligned(I used to put warp off BMs off of either and and align back and forth), and watch out for known gankers or suspicious behaviour. I suggest a system with few or no people in it. When in doubt, go hide.

All the things that the people telling you guys to toughen up to do, they all work, and make the game more fun.

Humans are hardwired to win, period. Gankers are following that hardwiring, and ignoring the layer of social acceptability because in eve, well, we have a difference set of social rules, and that does not violate them.

Quit trying to impose your social mores on other people society, I think is the message that should be taken from this. Eve has its own culture, and ganking is part of it.

Your immortal, you can't actually be hurt very much Roll

Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#589 - 2011-11-03 10:44:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Jaroslav Unwanted
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:

The challenge comes from catching someone, not dealing the damage. Your right, you aren't gonna survive a gank squad, so why be there for them to catch you?

Mine aligned(I used to put warp off BMs off of either and and align back and forth), and watch out for known gankers or suspicious behaviour. I suggest a system with few or no people in it. When in doubt, go hide.

All the things that the people telling you guys to toughen up to do, they all work, and make the game more fun.

Humans are hardwired to win, period. Gankers are following that hardwiring, and ignoring the layer of social acceptability because in eve, well, we have a difference set of social rules, and that does not violate them.

Quit trying to impose your social mores on other people society, I think is the message that should be taken from this. Eve has its own culture, and ganking is part of it.

Your immortal, you can't actually be hurt very much Roll

true. yet since some people consider EVE as an glorified IRC client Smile

But thats not the point of the thread. The thread itself is about perception of oneself who does stuff.

Mostly what we learned

Gankers do stuff because : its an game
Why that answer is fail you can read through thread.

Thats actually very true : You are immortal in character

yet i doubt that there are many people who actually plays in character, gankers as well as carebears.
And i doubt that the one party is actually doing stuff because of their in-game character.

side note : what i actually heard

That "unnamed alliance" players / obviously not all of them/ made fun of one person using his real life tragedy / death in close family.
Alpheias
Tactical Farmers.
Tactical Farmers
#590 - 2011-11-03 10:48:44 UTC
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Alpheias wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Stuff......
What?

All because of Freud...

Unnecessary comment. But if it made you happy.

Oh, believe me I am happy, really happy. I was getting worried that I might have issues because of my dastardly career choice.

But as it turns out, you are the one with the issues. While I am enjoying one of the many aspects of the game.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Mag's
Azn Empire
#591 - 2011-11-03 10:50:05 UTC
Roime wrote:
Mag's wrote:

So why did you play again?

It is interesting to see how that mental construct is used as some kind of protection. It's not related only to EVE, but many people seem to think that somewhere between a keyboard, cpu and modem is a line separating "Real Life" from... what, Virtual World? Fantasyland? Alternative Reality? 7th Dimension, where your acts upon other people become non-acts :D

"I might write like an angry bastard on the forums, but I'm actually pretty chill in RL"

Process this: the game is just a part of your RL.

The fact that you cannot differentiate between in-game actions and RL ones, is your problem not mine. I also don't much care about your posting style either, whether angry or not. Blink

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#592 - 2011-11-03 10:55:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Jaroslav Unwanted
Mag's wrote:
The fact that you cannot differentiate between in-game actions and RL ones, is your problem not mine. I also don't much care about your posting style either, whether angry or not. Blink

The fact that you are unable to comprehend your own motives could be something to disturb you. But obviously you are content. So i rather leave it at that.

Unless you are willing to go through very painfull process of seeing yourself.

In the end everyone or most of the subjects are broken because they are not what they believed they are.

edit. G.Orwell 1984

Ministry of Love .
Mag's
Azn Empire
#593 - 2011-11-03 11:04:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Mag's
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Mag's wrote:

The fact that you are unable to comprehend your own motives could be something to disturb you. But obviously you are content. So i rather leave it at that.

In the end everyone or most of the subjects are broken because they are not what they believed they are.

edit. G.Orwell 1984

Ministry of Love .
I know my motives for playing, I enjoy playing games on my PC. Eve as well as BF3 and many others. If you want to read more into that, then you go for it. The difference between myself and you it seems, is that you bring whatever actions happen within a game, into RL.

I'm sure I'll worry today, about seeing myself. Lol

Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#594 - 2011-11-03 11:06:40 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
Mag's wrote:

edit. G.Orwell 1984

Ministry of Love .
I know my motives for playing, I enjoy playing games on my PC. Eve as well as BF3 and many others. If you want to read more into that, then you go for it. The difference between myself you you it seems, is that you bring whatever actions happen within a game, into RL.

I'm sure I'll worry today, about seeing myself. Lol

Good for you. World is full of shallow people. Its easy life.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#595 - 2011-11-03 11:09:08 UTC
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:

So I'm now shallow, as well as morally and ethically challenged?

I never knew my life was so easy and interesting tbh. Lol

Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#596 - 2011-11-03 11:19:27 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:

So I'm now shallow, as well as morally and ethically challenged?

I never knew my life was so easy and interesting tbh. Lol

No you are not morally challenged that makes you shallow .

Your certainty is the factor.

However i may be totally wrong. It doesnt matter you wont change and i got no intention to prove your enjoyment and feeling.
Issler Dainze
Tadakastu-Obata Corporation
The Honda Accord
#597 - 2011-11-03 11:32:54 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Michael Holmes Holmes wrote:
I love how the griefers just tend to run the debate in circles because they can't seem to admit that acting like a bully in game is no better than acting like one out of game.

Is that too much for you griefers to process? Do you need us to spell it out any more plainly?

We don't care if you kill other players, just don't be a jerk about it and "extract tears" because that turns the whole event from being about blowing up internet spaceships to harassing the other player.

I guess you are cool with that though...because you are all dark and evil and nobody understands your pain.

Mags, I assume you are a troll, but much like the ducks that sit on my deck I enjoy feeding the wildlife once in a while.

Not every game is the same. A lot of games have clear goals, winning and losing are clearly defined.

Many online computer games that put one player against another are designed in a way that you are intended to be in conflict with another and the cost of losing is small and there is no persistence. You play the game and it goes where it goes. When you log in tomorrow you are mostly where you were before regardless of wins or losses in previous sessions.

Eve is different. Eve allows someone to spend a lot of the only RL currency (time) that matters to build stuff. Eve also allows asshats (tm) to 'splode that same stuff with no consequence. It allows asshats (tm) to play Eve just to mess with folk, to somehow enjoy being an asshat (tm) for the fun of the tears.

Eve is as near as I can figure is the only game where asshats(tm) can actually with no consequence in game destroy the result of someone's substantial RL time persisted work product and hide in a community that seems to thinks its moral,

It's not, it is folks getting pleasure from no other benefit that causing someone else's pain. That you aren't sophisticated in your understanding of the human condition to understand that negating the result of someones efforts that cost them something they can't ever replace (their time) isn't "the way Eve works", it's your failing as a human.

Morality is a personal trait. But there definitely exists a generally accepted definition of "do on to others...". You can pretend that you are playing a game so it doesn't matter but because Eve persists the result of actual RL folks time when you ignore that rule because "messin with folk" is fun for you then you are and asshat rat bastard in game and RL.

Issler
Tallian Saotome
#598 - 2011-11-03 11:59:20 UTC
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
[quote=Tallian Saotome]
That "unnamed alliance" players / obviously not all of them/ made fun of one person using his real life tragedy / death in close family.

Famous event on a game known for catering to carebears

The official ruling, from the game company known for catering to and protecting its weak, carebearing, and RP oriented, was they they shouldn't have thought they could do things like that in safety on a PVP server.

Long and short of it is, if you have this big of a problem with it, you are in the wrong place.

And should probably stay off the internet as a whole.

I want to know who thinks there is a rule saying we have to be nice to each other? I had some crackhead who was trying to get high in my house go off on me using much these same exact excuses for why we shouldn't mess with carebears when I ran her off from my house a couple weeks ago. Just because I am a jerk, or a dickhead, doesn't make me evil, or sociopathic, or any of these other things that this thread has been accusing gankers of. It just means you're a jerk, and you would be amazed because jerks are successful at life.

You are allegedly all big kids now, stop running to mommy because someone was mean to you in the sandbox, and fight back.

Mortis vonShadow
Balanaz Mining and Development Inc.
#599 - 2011-11-03 12:02:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Mortis vonShadow
The term “morality” can be used either

descriptively to refer to some codes of conduct put forward by a society or,

some other group, such as a religion, or

accepted by an individual for her own behavior or

normatively to refer to a code of conduct that, given specified conditions, would be put forward by all rational persons.

What “morality” is taken to refer to plays a crucial, although often unacknowledged, role in formulating ethical theories. To take “morality” to refer to an actually existing code of conduct put forward by a society results in a denial that there is a universal morality, one that applies to all human beings. This descriptive use of “morality”is the one used by anthropologists when they report on the morality of the societies that they study. Recently, some comparative and evolutionary psychologists (Haidt, Hauser, De Waal) have taken morality, or a close anticipation of it, to be present among groups of non-human animals, primarily other primates but not limited to them. “Morality” has also been taken to refer to any code of conduct that a person or group takes as most important.

Among those who use “morality” normatively, all hold that “morality” refers to a code of conduct that applies to all who can understand it and can govern their behavior by it. In the normative sense, morality should never be overridden, that is, no one should ever violate a moral prohibition or requirement for non-moral considerations. All of those who use “morality” normatively also hold that, under plausible specified conditions, all rational persons would endorse that code. Moral theories differ in their accounts of the essential characteristics of rational persons and in their specifications of the conditions under which all rational persons would endorse a code of conduct as a moral code. These differences result in different kinds of moral theories. Related to these differences, moral theories differ with regard to those to whom morality applies, that is, those whose behavior is subject to moral judgment. Some hold that morality applies only to those rational beings that have those features of human beings that make it rational for all of them to endorse morality, viz., fallibility and vulnerability. Other moral theories claim to put forward an account of morality that provides a guide to all rational beings, even if these beings do not have these human characteristics, e.g., God.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you put so much effort into EVE that it becomes personal when something happens to you, you need help. Why? CUZ ITS A GAME. It has moved beyond escapism to obsession.

Some days you're the bug, and some days your the windscreen.                   And some days, you're just a man with a gun.

Jaroslav Unwanted
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#600 - 2011-11-03 12:03:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Jaroslav Unwanted
Tallian Saotome wrote:
Jaroslav Unwanted wrote:
[quote=Tallian Saotome]

Famous event on a game known for catering to carebears

The official ruling, from the game company known for catering to and protecting its weak, carebearing, and RP oriented, was they they shouldn't have thought they could do things like that in safety on a PVP server.

Long and short of it is, if you have this big of a problem with it, you are in the wrong place.

And should probably stay off the internet as a whole.

I want to know who thinks there is a rule saying we have to be nice to each other?

There is non if "you" are ******* imbecile in real life then its common sense "you" would be ******* imbecile in game.

I just find it hard to believe that community composed mostly of "normal" people would widely appreciate and accept such acts.