These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Test Server Feedback

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Feedback Request: Radial Menu

First post
Author
Servanda
Liga Freier Terraner
Northern Coalition.
#41 - 2013-05-09 12:21:26 UTC
It's a bit anoying that you have to go back to the center to close the menu without doing something. Right klick to closes the menu but it performs the selectet action. Would be good if you could add rightklick to cancel the menu without performing stuff
Anariasis
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#42 - 2013-05-09 12:28:26 UTC
Servanda wrote:
It's a bit anoying that you have to go back to the center to close the menu without doing something. Right klick to closes the menu but it performs the selectet action. Would be good if you could add rightklick to cancel the menu without performing stuff

Woo, s.o. thinks exactly the same as I do :)

Apart from that, the "warp to" option is on the right side and to warp to 100 you have to move your mouse quite far to the right - if you have your overview on the right side of the screen as standard, you might run out of screen before your mouse gets to 100km. Quite small issue though.
Servanda
Liga Freier Terraner
Northern Coalition.
#43 - 2013-05-09 13:02:34 UTC
Found a Bug

If you want to warp to a fleet member using the menu it says.

This person is either not a member of your fleet or not present in this solar system.

http://i.imgur.com/Wh7vtyg.jpg
Nam Dnilb
Universal Frog
#44 - 2013-05-09 14:07:40 UTC
I am a an avid user of hot-keys and the radial menu has not much to offer for me sadly. Bookmarking is the only thing I use and only because there's no hot-key for that. (<-hint)

I might even go as far as to say it gets in the way when looking around sometimes. I suggest adding a hot-key for expanding the menu or at the very least I'd like to be be able to set a long(er) delay for it. But a hot-key would be prefered, I'd just use middle mouse button then.
Naren Vintas
Some Assembly Required.
#45 - 2013-05-09 14:17:06 UTC
I shall not lie. Whilst I found old Radial Menu ugly, inconvenient and useless, I love the new Radial Menu. It is so useful and charming, that I want to hug it to death. However, they are far from perfect. Here's my feedback.

1. Unknown Derp - Radial Menu and Target Locks

Once, thus far, the Radial Menu has weirdly derped for me in a way, that whenever I clicked on one of Locked Targets (you know, the circular thingies that are by default near Selected Item window), the Radial Menu was popping up immediately, overriding normal click, and thus denying change of target. I had to manually click the targets in Overview window to switch targets.

I used random combo of keys to 'unstuck' it, so I believe it may have something to do with the Instant Action Menu key. However, pressing that key alone did nothing, so it might not.

2. Suggestions

• I agree with the previous posters. Right-Clicking should close-cancel the Radial Menu without issuing any command.

• I have mixed feeling with the cursor resetting its position back to the centre after issuing command. It is both useful and uncomfortable. I got used to it quite easily, though, and wouldn't have it any other way. Perhaps an option "Centre cursor position after using Radial Menu" true-false would be in order.

• Might I also suggest adding radial menus to the following?
  • - People and Places - Places list. It would be convenient to be able to warp to bookmarked places using quick Radial Menu, without needing to go trough all the cascading menus.
    - As previously said by other posters: Fleet Menu, Watchlist.

• Adding the access options to certain PoS modules would also be a bliss. Even though the things are now accessible trough Inventory, it would be nice to have alternative way of opening the stuff. I would like to see:
  • - Ship Maintenance Array: Access Vessels, Store Vessel
    - Corporate Hangar Array: Access Storage
    Or even unified "Access Starbase Inventory" on any PoS module, perhaps?

• A very out-of-a box suggestion, that is rather trivial to the gameplay, but would perhaps look interesting. What if you are piloting, for example, Dreadnought, with the Siege Module. Wouldn't it be nice to have the "Enter Siege Mode" in the Radial Menu as well? Yes, I know, it's already on hotbar - that's why I said it is trivial. Just a neat addition to making Radial Menus even more attractive. That could apply to Rorqual as well, and any other ship that can enter special mode.

This is all I can think of at the moment, though I shall speak more when I catch more bugs/suggestions.
Shiuri
#46 - 2013-05-09 14:31:12 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
  • Warp To
  • Keep at Range
  • Target
  • Align/approach
  • Show info
  • Orbit
Wouldn't it be better to group navigation and informational buttons together instead of jumbling them all together?

Ideally, my menu would look like this, going counter-clockwise (or anti-clockwise, or whatever) from the top:
  • Align/approach
  • Warp To
  • Keep at Range
  • Show info
  • Primary Action
  • Extra
  • Target
  • Orbit

This puts the navigation buttons in the more used top positions and the hated "Primary Action" button in a non-"mission-critical" location because it's actually the most useless, and oftentimes detrimental, button to push in a stressful combat situation.
scimichar
Deep Hole Explorers of New Eden
#47 - 2013-05-09 15:07:28 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
But regarding the scanner one, it actually also works to click the scanner button... then the menu appears and you can click the icons, you do not have to hold the button down (but in that case you have to click the actually buttons in the menu I think).

I click on the scanner button, try clicking to the side, it "shows" the click on the screen but doesn't do anything. I have to move the cursor up to see the arrow, move down, click, then the cursor appears in the middle of the screen.
Burseg Sardaukar
Free State Project
#48 - 2013-05-09 15:20:43 UTC
This isn't completely related to the radial menu in space, but it is a radial menu:

The scanner menu is obnoxiously sticky. The mouse keeps resetting to the center of the button when clicking and selecting options. It's behavior is pretty unnatural.

Can't wait to dual box my Dust toon and EVE toon on the same machine!

Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#49 - 2013-05-09 15:54:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Lloyd Roses
two things

- the wheelthingy is hardly usable as of now, cause that expanded option thingy is so close to warp-to... ina fight, I can't use it as it constantly navigates me to the advanced stuff when i get near that on my way to 'warp'

- can we have that with our setup colours? Blue is quite nice and neutral, but it is competing with every single UI element. right now it's a sleek and elegant UI and that candywheel in the middle.

edit: at least put that expanded thingy to the left, where now the info is. Can drop the info behind that, just that I don't die on TQ cause I can't reach warp-to in time. Screw that thing, using hotkeys again.
jonnykefka
Adhocracy Incorporated
Adhocracy
#50 - 2013-05-09 16:11:42 UTC
I add my voice to the several comments about the resetting cursor location with the scanner menu, though I know that's not entirely your purview. Nonetheless, you should think about why we're posting it here, because it is A radial menu.

Other than that I have had some issues where I bring up a radial menu and then my mouse is "locked" to like half the screen until I close said radial menu. I mostly get this with the scanner menu.

For the power users, can we get an adjustable mouse-down time for the radial menu to pop up?
Contik Ardman
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#51 - 2013-05-09 16:20:24 UTC
Mouse sensitivity is different when a radial menu ia active then when no radial menu is active. For me in particular it gets lower when a radial menu is visible. I'd like my mouse sensitivity to stay the same, with or without a radial menu.
CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#52 - 2013-05-09 16:42:58 UTC
jonnykefka wrote:
I add my voice to the several comments about the resetting cursor location with the scanner menu, though I know that's not entirely your purview. Nonetheless, you should think about why we're posting it here, because it is A radial menu.

Other than that I have had some issues where I bring up a radial menu and then my mouse is "locked" to like half the screen until I close said radial menu. I mostly get this with the scanner menu.

For the power users, can we get an adjustable mouse-down time for the radial menu to pop up?

I thought I had said it earlier, but I guess I didn't: we are planning to allow you to modify the delay for when the menu appears (now it's 0.15 sec).

And I will check on those mouse issues you guys are having Smile

CCP karkur | Programmer | Team Five 0 | @CCP_karkur

Logan LaMort
Screaming Hayabusa
#53 - 2013-05-09 18:12:19 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
jonnykefka wrote:

I thought I had said it earlier, but I guess I didn't: we are planning to allow you to modify the delay for when the menu appears (now it's 0.15 sec).

And I will check on those mouse issues you guys are having Smile

You know what makes us happy Big smile
Kadl
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#54 - 2013-05-09 18:13:57 UTC
I have seen the slow mouse as well. It was on a system with slower graphics then the one I usually play on.
Rebecha Pucontis
Doomheim
#55 - 2013-05-09 18:19:26 UTC
Blod Bladelicker wrote:
The mouse slows down considerably while using a radial menu, like quite badly.

I have also noticed that the only way to close the radial menu without having any options selected is by being in the middle of the radial menu, while being outside of it makes it choose the one it's alligned with, no matter how far the mouse is.
Is that intended?

Yes, I am also getting major lag and slow down when using the radial menu. This is a real shame as the radial menu is a really nice feature. Hopefully it can be fixed.
Rebecha Pucontis
Doomheim
#56 - 2013-05-09 18:25:09 UTC
One suggestion, could we have a sticky radial menu. Ie when you click an object and activate the menu it stays up until you either right click or click somwhere else in space or click a button on the menu itself. Really loving the radial menu though so far, will be great once its sorted out.
Jack Ogeko
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#57 - 2013-05-09 20:35:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Jack Ogeko
radial menu, you can make small change, now if you left click at scaner button you get radial manu, if you right click nothing happened, i think you can make little change here; left click you open scaner window, right click you get radial menu.
NiM Cal
Supernatural Penguins
#58 - 2013-05-09 21:15:47 UTC
scimichar wrote:
I have kind of an unusual setup. I use an art tablet for eve instead of a mouse...

I too play with a pen tablet and have similar issues. I use the tablet in absolute positioning mode, and it's worked fine for many years in EVE, but the new radial menus play havoc with it. It seems a new input layer, with odd dimensions is generated when when the radials open (even with a mouse it seems to have weird boundaries), which completely screws the absolute positioning.

For reference: I use a Wacom Bamboo and Intuos (absolute mode), Win 7 (64), play EVE in a window.

I'm sure the art dept guys could possibly replicate this issue?
Nix Anteris
The Dark Space Initiative
Scary Wormhole People
#59 - 2013-05-09 21:52:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Nix Anteris
This feedback is for the new scanner button radial menu, not the in-space radial menu.

I don't like how I click the scanner button and expect the scanner window to be shown, but instead I'm left with an unsatisfied radial menu, and have to inspect the various options to get what I want.

I think a more intuitive behaviour for this button would be as follows:

• Mouse down on scanner button = radial menu shown
  • Mouse up within button bounds = radial menu hidden and system scanner shown
  • Mouse up outside of the button bounds, but in the direction of a specific radial menu segment = radial menu item activated.

A click on the button would display the system scanner as everyone is used to.

A mouse down followed by a drag + release would activate radial menu elements.
Lyta Jhonson
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#60 - 2013-05-09 22:01:26 UTC
I hope the option to reassign radial menu to middle mouse button is missing because of bug and wasn't removed intentionally because when activated with left mouse button it gives too much accident menu activations for me. And if with old menu accident activations (if not reassigned) could be just annoying, new menu not only pops up but issues random command even if mouse cursor isn't within menu due to new design. Don't want to sound exaggerating but it really turns gaming experience into nightmare (as a person interested is a graphics programming I spent good ten minutes examining new distortion effect on the gates and constant menu popups instead of camera rotations almost drove me mad).

Option to adjust menu activation delay could somehow diminish the issue but ability to remap menu to another mouse button (like we can now) or entirely disable it would be much better.