These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Test Server Feedback

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Feedback Request: Radial Menu

First post
Author
scimichar
Deep Hole Explorers of New Eden
#21 - 2013-05-09 06:02:32 UTC
I have kind of an unusual setup. I use an art tablet for eve instead of a mouse. It works very well and saves my wrist. When I click on the direction scanner button, radial menu comes up, click, it goes to the moon scanner. To get to the D scan section, I have to click the d scan button move my mouse up to the right, then back down to click the d scan button on the radial menu. The reason for this is because the D scan button is lower on the screen, so it is down for the mouse.

(As an aside. I can't use the tablet for FPS games. Move it to far to the left or right and it spins infinitely for the same reason.)

I know it's a weird case. I think an option to click the button, rather than hold it, would fix the issue. Not sure if you would do that for a very small portion of player base. Right now I would go nuts trying to use the dscan tool. Regardless of my setup, I severely dislike radial menus for other reasons. I digress.
Crazy KSK
Tsunami Cartel
#22 - 2013-05-09 06:33:44 UTC
I think its a nice addition but ive found a small flaw
when selecting something while in warp like another celestial and then trying to warp right after you come out of warp it just doesn't work you have to wait about 2 seconds before it works

Quote CCP Fozzie: ... The days of balance and forget are over.

Octoven
Stellar Production
#23 - 2013-05-09 06:45:23 UTC
Im fine with the mouse slowing down so I dont inadvertantly choose to warp to a planet at 100 instead of 50 because the mouse overshot the amount. I actually like the fact the mouse is a bit slower, when using those range options it really helps you focus on a set range rather then overshooting it, backtracking and undershooting and trying to get the perfect range because the mouse is so sensitive it moves fast.

I do agree with opening the scanner via the icon in the hud, it should be like other uses of the menu. With the other uses, you have to click and hold and then move the mouse before the menu is displayed, the HUD icon for opening the scanner needs to reflect this as well.
CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#24 - 2013-05-09 09:43:33 UTC
Many of you are saying the mouse slows down. That is not intended. We had one co-worker mention that earlier, but no matter how much I sped up the mouse, I was not able to reproduce the problem. I will definitely look into it though :)

It's find that you tell us about the scanner radial menu, but please note that my team is mostly interested in the inspace radial menu. But regarding the scanner one, it actually also works to click the scanner button... then the menu appears and you can click the icons, you do not have to hold the button down (but in that case you have to click the actually buttons in the menu I think).

CCP karkur | Programmer | Team Five 0 | @CCP_karkur

CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#25 - 2013-05-09 09:54:29 UTC
electrostatus wrote:
I hope certain things, like target and look at, haven't changed their position in the new radial menu from the current one, muscle memory is such a pain to break. I use the current radial menu so much that I don't even look at it anymore, just click-hold-drag and its targeted.

They have change their position as this is a new menu.
We are very aware of muscle memory and therefore 6 of the 8 options in the menu are always the same (except for your ship) and never change position, but these are options the are very frequently used
  • Warp To
  • Keep at Range
  • Target
  • Align/approach
  • Show info
  • Orbit

The top option is always a "primary" action we have selected for that category/group/type of item, options as dock, open cargo, board ship, view in planet mode. etc.
The last option is the "extra" option. There we put options that don't quiet belong to main menu, but are handy to have easy access to. We are very selective when putting stuff there, and want to keep the list of options there short. In the case of the extra option layer, the position of the options is not as fixed, as the list of options is not always the same.

You own ship is a special little snowflake, as it it has different options than other ships. From it you can set the default ranges for orbit, keep at range and warp to. And it has "stop ship" instead of an inactive "board ship" option.

CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#26 - 2013-05-09 09:58:06 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP karkur
Blod Bladelicker wrote:
The mouse slows down considerably while using a radial menu, like quite badly.

I have also noticed that the only way to close the radial menu without having any options selected is by being in the middle of the radial menu, while being outside of it makes it choose the one it's alligned with, no matter how far the mouse is.
Is that intended?

The mouse should not slow down, and I will be fixing that.

The point with the radial menu is that you should not have to be above the icons when you release to select the option. You should click and drag in the direction, release and stuff should happen, so it's more of a gesture based and an can be done very fast. I believe you can kill the menu by right clicking.

CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#27 - 2013-05-09 10:00:06 UTC
Xavier Kaine wrote:
Dragging to set range, like with orbiting: Will it be locked at 30k like the dropdown menu? I noticed that set default range is replaced with another dropdown menu going only to 30k.

The default can be up to 100km, but the range in the menu itself only goes to 30km I think.
To set the default, click on your own ship and drag as you wanted to orbit it.

Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#28 - 2013-05-09 10:07:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Altrue
I didn't have any mouse slowing down using the radial menu, except when using the radial menu specific to the scanner (The one with Moon results, D-scan, toggle scan overlay...).

If it can help you to reproduce, left clic on the scanner, keep pushed, and move quickly your mouse elsewhere, up for example if you want to toggle the scan overlay.
It is very common to use way too much movement to select something while using a radial menu, when you're not used to them. If I want to be fast, I usually move my cursor so that it almost hits the top of my screen, despite the fact that only a few pixels would have been enough. At this point I probably have released the left clic by reflex, as I'm more reproducing a movement than really interacting with a menu.

Except that from time to time, the bug triggers and my cursor is slowed. (Somehow the game is fixing my bad behaviour :D)

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#29 - 2013-05-09 10:07:42 UTC
Anariasis wrote:

• The "Warp to" option where you get the different distances when you move our cursor further out is really nice!
  • The "+" is option replaced with only 1 option (e.g. a planet in warp distance). In this case that one option (in the example "save location") could just be in the place of the "+".
  • I don't like the way you have to move the cursor back into the middle or outside a greyed-out function to not do anything. I believe it will lead to many involuntary commands. Just make it like a right click closes the menu without an order. Now a right click sends the order. The current one is just really dangerous, it will make loads of people warp to range when they wanted to just close the menu.

The radial menu should always have the same 7 options and then the primary action. The "+" should then have all the "extra options". We want to have the menu consistent and not to be messing with peoples head by changing it, so the extra stuff that is handy is put in the "+". That layer has room to expand if we decide we want more options there, and we don't really want to put "save location" at 3 o'clock and then have to move it in the next release when we decide that "add to overview"(or whatever) should also be an extra option.

If the menu would work like the right click menu, as in if you are not over the buttons nothing happens, it would not really gesture based like it's designed to be. The big point of it is that you don't have to hit the exact buttons, just in the direction. I believe you can kill the radial menu by right clicking.

CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#30 - 2013-05-09 10:11:46 UTC
Crazy KSK wrote:
I think its a nice addition but ive found a small flaw
when selecting something while in warp like another celestial and then trying to warp right after you come out of warp it just doesn't work you have to wait about 2 seconds before it works

The options are updated 4 times a second I think. You not being able to warp right way probably means that your ship is just not quite ready yet.

Anariasis
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#31 - 2013-05-09 10:16:08 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
. I believe you can kill the radial menu by right clicking.

I closes it, alright, but it also engages the selected command. I would prefer if it would only close the menu.
CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#32 - 2013-05-09 10:17:28 UTC
And yes... you can set a shortcut that will cut the delay of opening the menu.
I have for example set it to Shift, then when I want to target some bad people, I hold down Shift, click on them and drag the mouse down very fast right away and the are magically targeted.
You can set the shortcut in ESC menu>shortcuts>general, and I think the option is called "instant action menu"

Octoven
Stellar Production
#33 - 2013-05-09 10:19:06 UTC
CCP karkur wrote:
Many of you are saying the mouse slows down. That is not intended. We had one co-worker mention that earlier, but no matter how much I sped up the mouse, I was not able to reproduce the problem. I will definitely look into it though :)

It's find that you tell us about the scanner radial menu, but please note that my team is mostly interested in the inspace radial menu. But regarding the scanner one, it actually also works to click the scanner button... then the menu appears and you can click the icons, you do not have to hold the button down (but in that case you have to click the actually buttons in the menu I think).

When I click on an item in the overview it selects it, and i have to hold the left click button down for a sec before the radial menu pops up. I think that is working correctly; however, the button next to the HUD for the scanner doesnt operate on this principle. When one is used to just simply clicking one time to open the scanner window, it is a bit clumsy to realize that when you clicked intead of the window opening, a menu pops up with choices. I think it should work like the other parts of the radial menu where you need to click and hold the mouse button to get the menu to pop up.
xttz
GSF Logistics and Posting Reserves
Goonswarm Federation
#34 - 2013-05-09 10:25:54 UTC
I don't understand why we haven't kept any consistency with the old radial menu. Take a look at these examples:

http://i.imgur.com/nDNGaUu.png

There's no reason for functions to swap around randomly like that. What's more, the 2nd example has the 'look at' function vanish only to be replaced by a blank button.

If this can be sorted out then the new menus would be an improvement.
Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#35 - 2013-05-09 10:31:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Altrue
CCP karkur wrote:
I have for example set it to Shift, then when I want to target some bad people, I hold down Shift, click on them and drag the mouse down very fast right away and the are magically targeted.
You can set the shortcut in ESC menu>shortcuts>general, and I think the option is called "instant action menu"

... Or you can also hold down Ctrl and left clic to target bad people... Why do you want to bother with a cursor move + left clic hold/release in addition ?

EDIT : Random thought, why not allowing us to have a shortcut that acts as a clic to instantly open the radial menu ? Like wheel clic or custom button clic ?

Currently you're suggesting shift + clic.
I'm not suggesting mousewheel hold down + left clic of course, I'm suggesting a simple mousewheel clic that would act as your shift + clic.

CCP karkur
C C P
C C P Alliance
#36 - 2013-05-09 10:33:17 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP karkur
Altrue wrote:
CCP karkur wrote:

... Or you can also hold down Ctrl and left clic to target bad people... Why do you want to bother with a cursor move + left clic hold/release in addition ?

Ok... let's pretend I said "if I want to open some cargo holds, I hold down Shfit, click them and drag the mouse up very fast right away and they are magically opened" P
It's mostly for people who know they want to use the radial menu right now and are too impatient to wait for it to pop up P (shortening the delay would not achieve the same thing because then I would be getting radial menus when I don't really want them)

Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#37 - 2013-05-09 10:37:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Altrue
CCP karkur wrote:
Altrue wrote:
CCP karkur wrote:

Ok... let's pretend I said "if I want to open some cargo holds, I hold down Shfit, click them and drag the mouse up very fast right away and they are magically opened" P
It's mostly for people who know they want to use the radial menu right now and are too impatient to wait for it to pop up P

All right, you got me Big smile

In this situation I recognize that this new radial menu is useful (and this change would be worth it anyway, just for the fact of being able to set a custom orbit / keep a range / warp to distance "on the fly").
Yet, if we were able to have another shortcut acting as a clic (as said in my "EDIT :" above), it would be even more awesome than having to hold down a new key. (Of course it probably represents a lot of work for a minimal addition. Of what... 0.5 second-gain ?)

Servanda
Liga Freier Terraner
Northern Coalition.
#38 - 2013-05-09 11:04:13 UTC
The new menu is pretty nice.

If you select the warp to range it would be better if you had 10 or 1 km steps. Right now i can only use 0 10 20 30 50 70 100. Would be great if warp to would be more like the orbit range selection.

Would also be great to use the menu on the watchlist.

If i move the mouse fast while selecting range options it gets a bit laggy.

For ships with Fleet Hangar and Shipmaintance bay I'm missing an option to acces those in the menu maybe you could add them in the second layer?
Katarina Reid
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#39 - 2013-05-09 11:43:41 UTC
Kinda cool but i dont like the mouse snapping back to center and you can only drag the mouse for half the screen.
Arduemont
Rotten Legion
#40 - 2013-05-09 11:57:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Arduemont
I seem to be getting it pop up accidentally more than I did before. Has the time left mouse has to be held down been reduced? It seems a little too sensitive.

Otherwise, looking good.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf