These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

IDEA: Kickstart the newbies!

Author
Vintah
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-05-08 13:05:20 UTC
Hello all!

I have stumbled upon quite a many threads, where people say how bored they get because skill training for different things takes FOREVER. I mean, I do understand if someone who starts the game and sees that for the thing that they want to do, they should invest 2 years of time, before they are able to do it.

2 years is a LONG time, new games are always popping out, RL changes etc.

People WILL get bored after waiting for 2 years to fly a nice Command Ship for example etc.

Also, there's always the excuse that it only takes a day or two to train and able to fly a frigate in somewhat compentent level.

But it's a frigate, it's just a FRACTION of the game.

Eventhough the game is a sandbox, you still have the theme-park restrictions, where you have to wait and go through certain things before being able to play the game your way.

There's many different roles and playstyles, limiting all newbies to just frigates WILL get people bored rather quickly.

My suggestion is:

How about a character planner along with the character creation? Some sort of an AD&D style, where you can use some of the "free skillpoints" to customize your character depending on your playstyle.

Say that you want to play a "supportive pilot".

That would be logistics, which would take ages to train and meanwhile you have to fly all the other things that won't keep you interested. And you always have to train the same boring skills that you NEED to fit your ship, but take a long time and offer no improvement to your ACTUAL gameplay.

With the new customization start, you should be able to choose a path for yourself, something like a certification planner that hints you at the right direction.
Instead of everyone getting the same starting skills, people would be able to start out differently, they could choose between armor/shield tanking etc.

The supportive, logistics wannabe pilot would be able to start out in a basic logistics-capable pilot, with basic repping skills and other such according skills.

Upcoming miner would then get some of the mining skills and things straight away.

So that people could DO WHAT THEY ENJOY in the game, instead of waiting while DOING THINGS THAT THEY DONT ENJOY.

This would encourage a lot of people to actually stay and play the game THEIR WAY, how SANDBOX is supposed to be.

I have trained quite a many pilots because I have had different ideas of roles that I want to play and it's always SO BORING.

Its at least 2 months before your pilot is even SLIGHTLY capable of playing their role.

About 3mil SP worth of things handed out as certificates upon character customization would be really a needed option.

And who cares about vets being able to create alts quicker? They have MAINS they can play anyway, so for them it doesnt matter if they have to wait 1.5 months more or less.

Newbies don't have any other pilots to play and are forced to blow things up in a merlin while actually wanting to support their friends with logi ship!
Tchulen
Trumpets and Bookmarks
#2 - 2013-05-08 13:22:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Tchulen
EvE has a steep learning curve. For new pilots the time it takes to get those SP is spent learning how to play the game.

What you want is a boost to alts, albeit veiled as a boost for new players.

So no.
monkfish2345
The Knights of Spamalot
#3 - 2013-05-08 13:29:21 UTC
we've been down this road before......

for a bit of history. in late 06 iirc, the start SP was changed to be about 800k and the skills given were dependent on the race and bloodlines etc that you chose when creating your character. this upset a lot of people me included, because i effectively wasted a couple months of time training for new players to start with the same if not more sp than me.

after that we went back to starting with lower SP because people demanded to be able to choose the skills they learnt from the very start. so CCP gave them accelerated learning up to about the 800k mark, this upset a lot of people because newer players were able to close the gap older players had rightfully earnt by playing for longer.

eventually (not sure when) we came back to where we are now.

my suggestions is help new pilots realize what their goals are so they can get into a useful position earlier. if they are focused it doesn't take long at all. and if they are not willing to wait it out, they probably won't stick with EVE long term anyway.

HazeInADaze
Safari Hunt Club
#4 - 2013-05-08 14:28:03 UTC
If a player is bored because they can't fly x ship without training 'forever' then they should probably stop playing - thisnisnt the game for them, nor will it be after they get that prized ship.

If you really want that ship now, there is a shortcut. Buy PLEX. sell PLEX. Buy a toon
Voila. You'll be in a command ship by Friday.
StoneCold
Decadence.
RAZOR Alliance
#5 - 2013-05-08 14:35:02 UTC
Question is: why would a new player want to sit in a command ship? Could be just because of the looks.
Till he can pilot one he can use the middleway and use the t1-variant.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#6 - 2013-05-08 15:10:13 UTC
Vintah wrote:

The supportive, logistics wannabe pilot would be able to start out in a basic logistics-capable pilot, with basic repping skills and other such according skills.

Its at least 2 months before your pilot is even SLIGHTLY capable of playing their role.

Lessee, Inquisitor frigate on an Amarrian fresh out of hte pod-bay noob.

14 hours to train into T2 small RR modules. Assuming a weekday, you'll be logging off by midnight, so set the skills (plus something long) and they'll be done by 2PM the next day.

Now, let's say you wanted to fly in an Augoror (T1 logi cruiser). Well, that takes a little over 2 days for the hull, and an additional 1d 18h for the T2 medium armor reppers (assuming you've already got T2 smalls).

Obviously jumping this fast (4 days or so) into a cruiser is "a very bad idea"(tm), so it might be better to spend 3 days and some change hours to get all the "recommended certificates" for the Inquisitor, plus whatever time it takes to get the T2 RR (since the certs don't get you that far).

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Haulie Berry
#7 - 2013-05-08 16:05:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Haulie Berry
Hey, that's a pretty good idea, but I think we can improve upon it.

Improvement #1: Instead of "kickstarting" newbs, let's just not do any of the **** you just posted.