These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Clarification on Electus Matari actions in Federation space today

First post
Author
Elsebeth Rhiannon
Gradient
Electus Matari
#1 - 2013-05-07 21:20:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Elsebeth Rhiannon
Today at about 16:00 I and some other known loyalists received a request from the Republic Fleet to assist in an operation to forcibly extradite the shooter of Karin Midular from Federation care. The leader of the operation was given as General Aruko Aruman of the Republic Fleet; point of contact was Heder Elislar. I stated my opinion that I thought the operation was madness and that the Fleet should stand down, but under what for me counts as orders gathered a patrol force to support.

I was at no point given further intel about the exact plans of the Fleet. I went into Bei with the goal of coming out of this without having to engage and without betraying my oath to the Minmatar Republic. I failed in the first.

At about 20:00 local a Republic Fleet capital wing entered Colelie and demanded passage further. Federation Navy capital wing denied. Words were exchanged. Both in public and in private I and others from Electus Matari pleaded for the Republic Fleet to stand down, but this was in vain. When the Republic Fleet engaged, I was told by the officers in charge of the capitals that this was under orders "from the top".

Being an oath-bound warrior of the Republic I could personally see no other option than to follow the Fleet. I did not agree with the order and I agree with our current leadership even less, but to refuse simply because I found the order disagreeable would have gone against everything I have spoken for during my career in space.

I gave the order to the EM fleet to engage; the pilots with me should not be blamed.

We lost.

To whom it may concern: Electus Matari does not agree with this course of action. This is not the way to treat our allies. This is not the way to win the war with the real enemy. This is not the way to honor the legacy of the Ray. We followed our leaders now, but we warn you to remember that you can only lead free people to where they are willing to follow. The Matari people in space have always been divided into two: those who cherish war for the sake of honor and emotion, and those who rather avoid it for the sake of long-turn survival of our people. When the Ray was in charge, she managed to balance the two for a long time. The "Sanmatar" now needs to do the same.

Elsebeth Rhiannon
Director, Gradient
Diplomat, Electus Matari
Shintoko Akahoshi
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-05-07 21:33:29 UTC
Can you imagine being a fly on the wall of the Imperial Court today?

Bio and writing

(Nothing I say is indicative of corporate policy unless otherwise stated)

Heinel Coventina
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2013-05-07 21:36:21 UTC
A sound choice.

Don't admit defeat before the dusts settle. The tides are turning, but the beacon is now passed from one to many. Keep your compasses clear, that's your only guide now.
Jowen Datloran
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-05-07 21:37:24 UTC
Allies? I always thought the Republic was a Federation protectorate.

Mr. Science & Trade Institute, EVE Online Lorebook 

Hadrian Tivianne
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-05-07 21:39:28 UTC
I can say with a certainty that the desire to avoid conflict was just as strong with the fleets on the Gallente side. it should never have gotten as far as it did, the outcome is nothing short of a tragedy.
Xindi Kraid
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#6 - 2013-05-07 21:45:46 UTC
Excuse my ignorance regarding Republic and tribal politics if any of this is incorrect, but wasn't Midular a proponent of peace? I believe when she was ousted from office she was trying to foster relations with an entity many Minmatar consider an enemy (the Amarr Empire), and now the Republic honors her memory by attacking someone who should be an ally?
Elsebeth Rhiannon
Gradient
Electus Matari
#7 - 2013-05-07 21:47:26 UTC
That does not sound ignorant at all. Congratulations.
Pieter Tuulinen
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#8 - 2013-05-07 21:56:14 UTC
I honour you for supporting your kin despite your reservations. I also honour you for serving notice that you support is not something that can be taken advantage of in the future.

For the first time since I started the conversation, he looks me dead in the eye. In his gaze are steel jackhammers, quiet vengeance, a hundred thousand orbital bombs frozen in still life.

Makkal Hanaya
Revenent Defence Corperation
#9 - 2013-05-07 22:03:13 UTC
That's an ugly place to be. You have my sympathies.

Render unto Khanid the things which are Khanid's; and unto God the things that are God's.

Caellach Marellus
Stormcrows
#10 - 2013-05-07 22:10:32 UTC
So what you're saying is though you knew the order to fire was wrong, you did it anyway, and now you criticise the order you voluntarily followed?

You aided and assisted a hostile invasion fleet against the allies of the Republic, and broke strict terms of the Yulai convention. Your actions have likely put unnecessary strain on an alliance already battered by pointless sabre ratting and politicking over this shooter.

And it seems that a woman who spent her life campaigning for peace will be remembered with her death leading to a pointless f##king bloodbath. You made your own choice today, the pilots with you did the same.

I only hope that lessons can be learned from today today, and learned in time to repair this battered relationship and find a peaceful resolution to the situation at hand.

When your gut instincts tell you something is wrong, trust them. When your heart tells you something is right, ignore it, check with your brain first. Accept nothing, challenge everything.

Tarren Vetal
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-05-07 22:10:42 UTC
You always have a choice--a choice whether to follow foolish orders, or to serve the Republic you believe in. It is the duty of a loyalist to oppose leadership that would destroy the institutions he or she is sworn to, not to follow all orders blindly, wherever they may lead.

You take the blame for this as much as anyone present--and the pilots who followed you do as well. By obeying the directives of thugs and madmen, you only increase their power. The consequences are on your head. Next time, maybe Electus Matari should consider what's really in the best interest of the Republic.
Elsebeth Rhiannon
Gradient
Electus Matari
#12 - 2013-05-07 22:16:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Elsebeth Rhiannon
I was the EM FC on the field today, so the choice was mine.

And I never denied the fact that I had a choice. I had one, and I made the choice, and now I live (or die) with it. Both options were bad, but that does not mean I am free of the consequences of the choice I picked.

I do not need more sermons about how terrible the situation was and how terrible the things we did. I am aware, thank you.

Elsebeth
Shintoko Akahoshi
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2013-05-07 22:49:20 UTC
Thanks for the honesty, Elsebeth.

For the record, will EM be supporting future Republic strikes into Federation space?

Bio and writing

Gosakumori Noh
Coven of One
#14 - 2013-05-07 23:27:59 UTC
Meet the new filth, "just following orders" like the old filth - and whining about it much the same, too. Isn't it splendid? Now perhaps the Federation will be sympathetic to a more permanent solution for the Sebiestor.
Sixx Vicious
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2013-05-07 23:39:38 UTC
Caellach Marellus wrote:
So what you're saying is though you knew the order to fire was wrong, you did it anyway, and now you criticise the order you voluntarily followed?

You aided and assisted a hostile invasion fleet against the allies of the Republic, and broke strict terms of the Yulai convention. Your actions have likely put unnecessary strain on an alliance already battered by pointless sabre ratting and politicking over this shooter.

And it seems that a woman who spent her life campaigning for peace will be remembered with her death leading to a pointless f##king bloodbath. You made your own choice today, the pilots with you did the same.

I only hope that lessons can be learned from today today, and learned in time to repair this battered relationship and find a peaceful resolution to the situation at hand.

Antagonizing our allies further is not the answer either.

Miss Rhiannon took an oath to Republic and her people and she followed that oath as best she could. She is a soldier and a warrior and sometimes those responsibilities that those oaths carry take you to very dark places you do not wish to go.

I was there, with the Federation defending my home space, I took no pleasure in opening fire on our allies. As a soldier to another I respect the hard choice she had to make, the one many of us had to today. Do I agree with it, no, but I do respect the difficult situation she was in.

It is extremely regrettable that the situation came down to what transpired Colelie. Wounds have been left on both our people. Noone won anything this day.

I truly hope that the tragedy of Colelie will never repeat itself.

Hawk style Thukk Life.

Virgil Scipion
Bionesis Technologies
#16 - 2013-05-07 23:45:03 UTC
Elsebeth acted with the agreement of her alliance leader, ie me. So if you reproach Else for something, first reproach me for it.

Tonight, we have accepted to join the Republic fleet. We are soldiers, experienced combat pilots, when we accept to join an operation and are aware of the consequences, we accept to follow our FC orders.
We accepted to follow Elsebeth' orders, herself following Republic Fleet commander orders.

This may be a mistake or not. This may change ourselves or not. We don't know, we speak about it.
Our admiral ordered us to fire, we did. We did what we did, we assume it.

But Electus Matari agrees this was a mess.

Before the battle our calls, and many others, to our commanders were clear : we are of peace. Commanders from both sides didn't seem to be. So we accepted our fate, as ship captains, as Republic pilots.
And we lost the battle

Now our generals are a bunch of idiots who look like warmongers who loose their first battle. If Pator politicians want names to replace them, they just have to ask...
Anyway, IGS is not the best place to speak with truth and outspokenness. I welcome you to our public channel if you want to say something to EM. We accept any polite criticize.

At personal level, I'm not ashamed of that.
For me tonight it was an ego contest. A big expensive tournament between two old friends, friends since so many years they were eager to fight a bit to test each other.
The Gallente kicked our ass tonight. Be proud comrades ! Damn 3 Electus ships destroyed, gf !
They crushed our dread fleet, something like 12/12 at start and 5/1 at end. Now I remember why I fight aside of these guys.
You little bastard, your are bad ass, I love you :)

So now misters Squidy and Mary, we are trained and prepared, next is you, and not for the fun.

Virgil Scipion Bionesis Technologies

Shintoko Akahoshi
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2013-05-08 00:02:30 UTC
In that case, Virgil, my question stands to you, then.

For the record, will EM be supporting future Republic strikes into Federation space?

I think I'm owed an answer to that, for old time's sake if nothing else.

Bio and writing

Ava Starfire
Khushakor Clan
#18 - 2013-05-08 00:12:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Ava Starfire
Elsebeth told every one of us in the Fleet we were free to turn back. We were not pressured into a course of action when the firing commenced.

I opened fire. It was my decision. There was no "right" decision for us at that point; stand with our Kin, or watch them fall. When the last of the Republic Fleet had been destroyed, we engaged in rescue operations, retrieving as many as we could from the Naglfar wrecks.

Today was an affront to the Ray of Matar. We're quite aware of that.

For those of us who were there, to do nothing would have been equally disrespectful to her memory.

A dark day became infinitely worse. It is my hope that this is the darkest day, and from here on, that they are brighter.

Shaman Avlynka Surionen

"There is no strength in numbers; have no such misconception." -Jayka Vofur, "Warfare in the North"

Morwen Lagann
Tyrathlion Interstellar
#19 - 2013-05-08 00:15:37 UTC
Elsebeth, Virgil:

Thank you for this clarification.

It is an immense relief to me to hear that there were many voices of reason on both sides calling out against the hot-headed, brash behavior by those above us.

Thank you.

Morwen Lagann

CEO, Tyrathlion Interstellar

Coordinator, Arataka Research Consortium

Owner, The Golden Masque

Lyn Farel
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#20 - 2013-05-08 00:15:50 UTC
Commendable and appreciated clarification.

However, I can not help but wonder at the use of the word "we are soldiers". Well, you are independant capsuleers, actually.
123Next pageLast page