These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Jita Park Speakers Corner

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP Please add I voted tags on these forums

First post
Author
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#41 - 2013-05-06 20:00:40 UTC
Snow Axe wrote:
What always strikes me about these "let's give people _______ if they vote!" arguments is how you're on one hand admitting that the CSM itself just isn't going to ever be interesting enough on its own to get a significantly larger amount of people to vote, but on the other hand ignoring that very fact in the name of giving a meaningless inflation to the number of voters that turn out.

Also if you're going to try to get CCP to bribe people into voting, why not go whole hog and give out special edition ships or clothes or implants or whatever? It's not like there's much of a difference between that and some vanity tag, and hell, actual in-game items wouldn't carry the stupid scarlet letter connotations that an "I voted" tag would, so they'd be better.

Or you could go the other way and realize that maybe, just maybe the CSM and CCP combined have done a pretty lousy job of selling the CSM to players. CCP already realized that and made steps towards changing it with their devblog - maybe the CSM needs to get on board with that train of thought too?

If it's so super important to you that people should be able to hide the fact that they voted, then the flag could be optional.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Snow Axe
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#42 - 2013-05-06 20:16:18 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
If it's so super important to you that people should be able to hide the fact that they voted, then the flag could be optional.

How about you explain why it's important that a CSM member knows if a player has voted or not instead? It sort of runs counter to your claim in the other thread that this CSM won't be insular.

"Look any reason why you need to talk like that? I have now reported you. I dont need to listen to your bad tone. If you cant have a grown up conversation then leave the thread["

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#43 - 2013-05-06 20:28:50 UTC
Snow Axe wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

How about you explain why it's important that a CSM member knows if a player has voted or not instead? It sort of runs counter to your claim in the other thread that this CSM won't be insular.

I'd like to know so that if, for instance, people are complaining about the CSM being "unrepresentative", I can advise them that not voting has the expected result of not being represented. Conversely if the complainer has voted, then I can have a different discussion with him.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Snow Axe
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#44 - 2013-05-06 20:36:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Snow Axe
Malcanis wrote:
I'd like to know so that if, for instance, people are complaining about the CSM being "unrepresentative", I can advise them that not voting has the expected result of not being represented. Conversely if the complainer has voted, then I can have a different discussion with him.

Ahh, so it should happen so you can help reinforce negative stereotypes about the CSM (i.e. that they only look out for their own). That sure is a thing.

"Look any reason why you need to talk like that? I have now reported you. I dont need to listen to your bad tone. If you cant have a grown up conversation then leave the thread["

Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#45 - 2013-05-06 20:36:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Varius Xeral
Malcanis wrote:

So it's about you "owning" people on the forums?

Great start, bro.

Official Representative of The Nullsec Zealot Cabal

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#46 - 2013-05-06 20:55:01 UTC
Varius Xeral wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

So it's about you "owning" people on the forums?

Great start, bro.

Sir,

Do you feel represented?

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#47 - 2013-05-06 20:56:19 UTC
Snow Axe wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

Ahh, so it should happen so you can help reinforce negative stereotypes about the CSM (i.e. that they only look out for their own). That sure is a thing.

Man I let fear of negative sterotypes totally run my life Cry

Oh god no not those negative stereotypes!

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#48 - 2013-05-06 21:03:04 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Do you feel represented?

Not sure what you're getting at here. If you have a valid question or point that you would like me to respond to, then please state it differently.

Alekseyev Karrde
Noir.
Templis CALSF
#49 - 2013-05-06 21:11:13 UTC
Knowing if they've voted or not when addressing their trolling is a lot like knowing if someone's showing up to fleets when you're thinking about kicking them from corp. Just makes things easier.

Alek the Kidnapper, Hero of the CSM

Snow Axe
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#50 - 2013-05-06 21:22:23 UTC
Does that mean you have to take someone's trolling seriously if they did in fact vote?

Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#51 - 2013-05-06 21:27:58 UTC
Or if they weren't playing at the time because they were: bored, unemployed, overemployed, militarily deployed, sick, climbing a mountain, family tragedy, camping, saving babies in Africa, killing babies in Africa, shall I go on? How are you going to distinguish those who couldn't vote and those who didn't? All of this, of course, operating on the assumption that the distinguishing itself will in any way turn out to be positive.

I almost feel like I'm being trolled here, and I really shouldn't be responding because this is all moot and will never happen anyway. However, this is really just a terrible way to start the next round of CSM, even as an informal discussion, and should be dropped altogether before it just gets worse.

Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#52 - 2013-05-06 21:31:11 UTC
Snow Axe wrote:
Does that mean you have to take someone's trolling seriously if they did in fact vote?

Yeah.

If the problem is "trolling" CSMs, then look at better avenues and forms of communication than this shitheap of a forum, with its terrible moderation. We live in the age of information, with revolutionary forms of communication and coordination coming out every decade, and the best you can come up with so far is a gold star system on a forum nobody reads anyway.

EvilweaselSA
GoonCorp
Goonswarm Federation
#53 - 2013-05-06 21:56:01 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Snow Axe wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

why not just ask frying doom if he voted

seems a lot of effort for just deciding how to reply to him
Frying Doom
#54 - 2013-05-06 22:45:49 UTC
Varius Xeral wrote:
Snow Axe wrote:

Yeah.

If the problem is "trolling" CSMs, then look at better avenues and forms of communication than this shitheap of a forum, with its terrible moderation. We live in the age of information, with revolutionary forms of communication and coordination coming out every decade, and the best you can come up with so far is a gold star system on a forum nobody reads anyway.

Ok so the CSM is a PR stunt, these forums are crap, people are insane and the CSM should only be for Null.

Not really sure why your still posting, you have shown that your reasons for not wanting this change is entirely selfish, to keep the voting numbers down you will fight any change that would mean more people will vote.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Snow Axe
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#55 - 2013-05-06 22:47:39 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
Ok so the CSM is a PR stunt, these forums are crap, people are insane and the CSM should only be for Null.

Not really sure why your still posting, you have shown that your reasons for not wanting this change is entirely selfish, to keep the voting numbers down you will fight any change that would mean more people will vote.

Hey Malc, is this guy trolling or do you need to find out if he voted first?

Frying Doom
#56 - 2013-05-06 22:47:47 UTC
EvilweaselSA wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Snow Axe wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

why not just ask frying doom if he voted

seems a lot of effort for just deciding how to reply to him

Why not give all those that voted a tag so the CSM does not have to ask everyone they converse with, it would be more efficient as well as rewarding those who voted, unless of course you would have some reason for not wanting the CSM to attract more votes from a larger part of the game.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Frying Doom
#57 - 2013-05-06 22:53:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Frying Doom
Snow Axe wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

Snow Axe wrote:
Dorn Val wrote:
If the goal of voting reform is to get better representation for a larger cross section of the Eve player base then wouldn't it make more sense to get more people to vote?! Why not make voting a requirement -can't log in until you've cast your vote for CSM...

If people don't vote, if they don't get involved in the election process, then do they deserve to be represented? Seems to me that you're trying to give a voice to people who don't want to speak, and at the same time suppress the groups that want to be involved. You're basically punishing large power blocks (aka Goons) for giving a ****...

The thing with forced voting is that, with something like the CSM, you don't necessarily want voters just for the sake of having more votes, you want more participants. People who will vote because they feel they want to be represented, and who might actually pay attention to what's going on post-election, that kind of thing. Someone who votes because their client forced them to and then ignore the process are as useless as people who don't vote. It's just window-dressing that keeps any real solutions (if there are any) further from being found.

Definitely agree with the second part, though. It's an important philosophical thing that constantly is missed when this topic comes up - any voting system in the world is never aiming to maximize representation of people, it's to maximize representation of VOTERS. Much was made about "GOONS COULD HAVE PUT 3 CANDIDATES IN THE TOP 7!!!!", but we had 1/6th of the votes. With 14 seats, that's just great numbers, and no legitimate voting system in the world is going to change that - hence Trebor's "modifications" to standard STV that literally would have made our votes count for less than anyone else's. That's the road you head down when you decide to play with voting systems instead of trying to convince people why they should bother participating.

You want more participants, but any idea brought forward is the wrong idea. Convincing people why they should bother participating, first means that they need to know there is something to participate in.

The Tags are an easy way to increase awareness of the CSM, while giving a small reward for those who voted. While you believe the voting system should be representative of the voters, I believe that increasing the number of voters is more important than that. Especially now we have a CSM with so many Null sec members on it.

EvilweaselSA
GoonCorp
Goonswarm Federation
#58 - 2013-05-06 23:50:12 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:

Why not give all those that voted a tag so the CSM does not have to ask everyone they converse with, it would be more efficient as well as rewarding those who voted, unless of course you would have some reason for not wanting the CSM to attract more votes from a larger part of the game.

i think you missed the joke
GallowsCalibrator
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#59 - 2013-05-07 08:37:08 UTC
Mike Azariah wrote:
We discussed this on PODSIDE podcast last week.

My suggestion (as a player, not CSM) was to try to give a tax break to people who vote, even 1% less on refining or market taxes. Not much but an edge for those who pay attention

Yes it might create a larger donkey vote as people randomly vote to get the break but that would be filtered out as background noise and we might actually see people give more interest to the system as a result.

The tax break would not even have to last the entire year.

I have always felt that carrots work better than sticks in motivating people to move in the right direction

m

This is a joke, surely? You've basically just shot a year's worth of newbie influx in the foot as regards to industrial activity at this point, you've given people an in-game ADVANTAGE for out-of-game activities. Nononononono.

At best, maybe, a goddamn vanity item, a recolour of a spaceship (they're all the rage, right?) as a incentive. Even then, it still seems a bit dubious, but it's not making people's gameplay strictly better for voting.

Ugh.
dark heartt
#60 - 2013-05-07 08:42:58 UTC
The fact is that nothing will help unless people are educated. Frying's idea of having something in the NPE is a reasonably good one (if it can be worked in properly). Without that, people have no idea what the CSM is, much less that they can vote for it.