These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Jita Park Speakers Corner

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP Please add I voted tags on these forums

First post
Author
Frying Doom
#21 - 2013-05-06 09:48:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Frying Doom
Snow Axe wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:
Yes characters under 30 days are unable to vote but that is a very tiny percentage of the number of eligible voters at the time of an election. .

Got a source for that assumption? A real source, not your best guess.

Even if it's a "tiny" number, you could be dissuading people from participating in the future just as easily as you could be engaging them. Remember, these are people who could well be providing valuable input (esp. since the new player experience is garbage), and you're backing a tag that basically says "It's ok to listen to me" that they could not have had.

Do you have any source for that, as it means not advertising the CSM every day of the year, rather than having the tags which means advertising it to every person who visits these forums. as to a real source for mine so try the subscription numbers, we gained 55000, accounts this year so around 4600 a month. So at election time it would mean approximately 1.1% of the entire voter base is ineligible at the time of the election or there about, given the current increase in subscribers.

I am backing a tag that says "I cared enough about this game to vote"

Snow Axe wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:
The tag will add visibility to the CSM and increase the number of voters for next year. It will also allow people to recognize and better understand why people may be choosing not to vote, subsequently allowing for better strategies to get people to vote next time.

It will increase visibility on the forums only. You have no idea if that'd translate into more votes or not. Also how on Earth would such a tag help anyone understand why someone voted or not? Seems to me that by even pushing for this tag (and the associated "you didn't vote? **** you" that goes along with it) you'd actually be moving further away from ever finding out why someone might want to vote but isn't.

The tag increases visibility, advertising increases the sales of even the crappiest good. See 100% guaranteed Australian fly killer, if you can find a link some where. It was marketed as that and it was actually 2 pieces of wood, its sales figures were rather impressive. Tags would allow the CSM and others to notice those who did not vote and actually study what they are commenting on and what they are saying, allowing for a greater amount of information to be available.

Even if a tag did produce a negative towards those who did not vote, but decide to come to the forums and whine, maybe next time they will act more constructively and vote, or at least ask "Why should I vote?"

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Snow Axe
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#22 - 2013-05-06 10:12:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Snow Axe
Frying Doom wrote:
Do you have any source for that, as it means not advertising the CSM every day of the year, rather than having the tags which means advertising it to every person who visits these forums. as to a real source for mine so try the subscription numbers, we gained 55000, accounts this year so around 4600 a month. So at election time it would mean approximately 1.1% of the entire voter base is ineligible at the time of the election or there about, given the current increase in subscribers.

Except newbies don't just register during election month. Any newbie who registered less than 30 days before election time all the way up until the next election in a year's time would be badge-less. That'd be 55000 new characters, not 4600.

And no, I don't have a source for knowing that people generally don't like being excluded from things, especially when the criteria for exclusion was something they had no control over.

Frying Doom wrote:
I am backing a tag that says "I cared enough about this game to vote"

Of which the inverse is "If you don't vote, you don't care", which is slapping the majority of players in the game directly in the face. Not a message you want to send to people when you're reaching out to them. Absolutely not a message you want to send to the 10k people who jumped ship from the CSM process after CSM 7.

Frying Doom wrote:
. Tags would allow the CSM and others to notice those who did not vote and actually study what they are commenting on and what they are saying, allowing for a greater amount of information to be available.

First, that'll never happen and you know it.

Second, you can do that now anyway without the need of tags.

Frying Doom wrote:
Even if a tag did produce a negative towards those who did not vote, but decide to come to the forums and whine, maybe next time they will act more constructively and vote, or at least ask "Why should I vote?"

Of course they might. They might also say "**** this elitist nonsense" and ignore the CSM. It's not a risk worth taking, especially after this past election, when ideally you'd be wanting to lure back those 10k votes you lost.

If you want to see why this idea misses the mark, look at your last question - "Why should I vote?". This idea is geared solely around getting people to the point where they ask that question. The answer to that question is where 100% of the discussion on how to increase voter turnout needs to go. There's way too much focus on getting people to know and almost nothing on getting people to care.

"Look any reason why you need to talk like that? I have now reported you. I dont need to listen to your bad tone. If you cant have a grown up conversation then leave the thread["

Frying Doom
#23 - 2013-05-06 10:34:37 UTC
Snow Axe wrote:
Except newbies don't just register during election month. Any newbie who registered less than 30 days before election time all the way up until the next election in a year's time would be badge-less. That'd be 55000 new characters, not 4600.

And no, I don't have a source for knowing that people generally don't like being excluded from things, especially when the criteria for exclusion was something they had no control over.

Since when to you register to vote? 4600 accounts would be ineligible to vote, not 55,000. You seem to be grasping at straws to prevent something that would actually be useful and encourage people to vote the following year. As to being excluded and having no control over it, excluding the 4600 accounts, they chose not to vote via apathy or lack of knowledge, having a reward ven something so small as a forum tag will increase peoples reason to vote, or just ask "What is the CSM".

Snow Axe wrote:
Of which the inverse is "If you don't vote, you don't care", which is slapping the majority of players in the game directly in the face. Not a message you want to send to people when you're reaching out to them. Absolutely not a message you want to send to the 10k people who jumped ship from the CSM process after CSM 7.

Did those who did not vote not care? Did they not know about the CSM? Did the STV system turn them off? Did CSM7 turn them off? We are more able to answer these questions with the tags that would enable us to see who did not vote as well as promoting the CSM at the same time, than not doing so.

Snow Axe wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:
. Tags would allow the CSM and others to notice those who did not vote and actually study what they are commenting on and what they are saying, allowing for a greater amount of information to be available.

First, that'll never happen and you know it.

Second, you can do that now anyway without the need of tags.
Yes actually studying them would happen, as I myself am interested. As to the other no you cant except for a very small group. You are fighting very hard to prevent something that would increase the visibility of the CSM and subsequently its number of voters.

Snow Axe wrote:
Of course they might. They might also say "**** this elitist nonsense" and ignore the CSM. It's not a risk worth taking, especially after this past election, when ideally you'd be wanting to lure back those 10k votes you lost.

If you want to see why this idea misses the mark, look at your last question - "Why should I vote?". This idea is geared solely around getting people to the point where they ask that question. The answer to that question is where 100% of the discussion on how to increase voter turnout needs to go. There's way too much focus on getting people to know and almost nothing on getting people to care.

First people must ask "What is the CSM?" or they will never ask "Why should I vote?".

Having a tag that says "I Voted" is not elitist, it is a reward for those who took the time to actually vote in the CSM, while at the same time increasing the visibility of the CSM, and allowing study of the postings of those who do not at this time choose to vote. The risk is larger that with a lack of advertising people will remain ignorant of the CSM, rather than as you assume people turning their backs on it over a tag. Again you seem to be grasping at straws in the attempt to reduce voter turn out and the visibility of the CSM.

The CSM is the voice of we the players, not just some of the players but all of the players. Anything that gains awareness of the player base as a whole as to the nature of the CSM is a good thing.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Snow Axe
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#24 - 2013-05-06 10:44:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Snow Axe
You don't register to vote, I'm talking about anyone who started an account less than 30 days before election day all the way up until the next election. Since the "I voted" badge is naturally only given to people who vote, this means that every new character up until the following election would be without a badge, and apparently would have their opinions considered in a different light.

This is like third grade logic and you're completely failing to grasp it.

You're right that we do need to find out why people don't vote. The fact that you think creating an "I voted" badge will somehow answer that question is absolutely mindboggling. I'd ask you to explain your logic, but I know your logic, you'll just repeat the statement again as if saying it twice somehow makes it less insane.

I'm also not saying "don't advertise the CSM", advertise the hell out of it, obviously. The way to do this, though, is not to give "I voted" tags, especially when we have a CSM member in this very thread admitting that whether or not someone voted is a relevant factor to him when considering their opinion. Telling people they won't matter until they participate is a really lousy way to try to make inroads with them, and it also guarantees that anyone you lose from the process (like the 10k voters from this year) won't come back either.

"Look any reason why you need to talk like that? I have now reported you. I dont need to listen to your bad tone. If you cant have a grown up conversation then leave the thread["

Frying Doom
#25 - 2013-05-06 11:11:20 UTC
Snow Axe wrote:
You don't register to vote, I'm talking about anyone who started an account less than 30 days before election day all the way up until the next election. Since the "I voted" badge is naturally only given to people who vote, this means that every new character up until the following election would be without a badge, and apparently would have their opinions considered in a different light.

This is like third grade logic and you're completely failing to grasp it.

You're right that we do need to find out why people don't vote. The fact that you think creating an "I voted" badge will somehow answer that question is absolutely mindboggling. I'd ask you to explain your logic, but I know your logic, you'll just repeat the statement again as if saying it twice somehow makes it less insane.

I'm also not saying "don't advertise the CSM", advertise the hell out of it, obviously. The way to do this, though, is not to give "I voted" tags, especially when we have a CSM member in this very thread admitting that whether or not someone voted is a relevant factor to him when considering their opinion. Telling people they won't matter until they participate is a really lousy way to try to make inroads with them, and it also guarantees that anyone you lose from the process (like the 10k voters from this year) won't come back either.

Personal insults so early in a discussion, shame shame, shame.

Yes, people who register within the 30 day window before the voting opens will be ineligible all the way through to the following years election, but having watched the posting on these forums, new players normally open with words similar to " I am new here" and as has been noted on a lot of threads where people are quitting due to the complexity of the game, other posters will check the age of the character before replying normally with "You are x number of months old, don't you think you should actually give EvE a chance before telling people how the game needs to be changed"

The 9407 votes lost this year are strangely similar to the 10,058 votes that were not counted last year, after a CSM member was ruled ineligible for the role. While I would not lay the blame completely at his feet, especially after CSM7 and the STV. Those votes must be assumed to be in part lost.

A tag on these forums saying "I Voted" is not insane, it is exactly that recognition for those people who voted as well as a valuable tool to increase the visibility of the CSM its self.

It would not be "Telling people they won't matter" if they don't vote, it is telling people that "Voting Matters"

Snow Axe
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2013-05-06 11:23:43 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
It would not be "Telling people they won't matter" if they don't vote, it is telling people that "Voting Matters"

See, that's what you want it to be saying. I'm telling you how it could be perceived. For someone who harps on about ~communication~ as much as you do, you seem to be oblivious of the idea that sounds good and positive can very easily be taken the wrong way.

Also, telling people that voting matters is completely irrelevant if you can't tell them WHY it matters. The Why is the crucial part of the equation and it's the one that's been largely missing. CCP was definitely on the right track with their devblog about what the CSM contributes to them in very real terms, I just hope they don't get sidetracked by potentially destructive **** like this.

Frying Doom
#27 - 2013-05-06 11:46:03 UTC
Snow Axe wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:

See, that's what you want it to be saying. I'm telling you how it could be perceived. For someone who harps on about ~communication~ as much as you do, you seem to be oblivious of the idea that sounds good and positive can very easily be taken the wrong way.

Also, telling people that voting matters is completely irrelevant if you can't tell them WHY it matters. The Why is the crucial part of the equation and it's the one that's been largely missing. CCP was definitely on the right track with their devblog about what the CSM contributes to them in very real terms, I just hope they don't get sidetracked by potentially destructive **** like this.

Yes the why is very important but also irrelevant if they do not know there is something to vote for.

The tags themselves are something voters can wear with pride, as I would do so.

Your argument as to how a positive can be made into a negative can be used to justify anything including the removal from the players the right to vote. As the wrong CSM member might get in and damage the CSMs reputation like CSM7 did.

Everything has its negative side even winning Lotto, but in most cases like this one, the good effects that it can have in understanding non-voters, giving voters a badge of pride and increasing the awareness of the CSM out weigh the frankly unlikely scenarios you have put forward and if you do not believe they are low probability feel free to show me any data to prove otherwise.

A Tag would greatly increase the CSMs visibility, it would give people the reason to ask "What is the CSM?" and subsequently give people the ability to look for the answer to "Why should I vote?", not doing so would be a massive waste, especially after the last 14 months of CSM disasters.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#28 - 2013-05-06 12:04:41 UTC
Snow Axe wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
So we know whether we're reading a post made by a voter.

Yeah uh, that's actually a really great argument NOT to implement something like that.

Well I guess we see the issue from different perspectives.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#29 - 2013-05-06 13:42:20 UTC
It's a terrible idea, and moot because CCP are smart enough to never implement it.

Official Representative of The Nullsec Zealot Cabal

Frying Doom
#30 - 2013-05-06 13:45:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Frying Doom
Besides I can guess you did not vote, do you have any reasoning behind why an idea that would increase the CSMs visibility and subsequently increase its representation of a larger percentage of the players?

Actually lets study some of your posts.

Varius Xeral wrote:
The CSM is an insular popularity contest to select unpaid game consultants.

Anyone who talks about "representation" is utterly full of crap.

To be clear, this isn't a criticism. I think the CSM is a great PR tool, is mutually beneficial to CCP and the kinds of people who care enough to run, and it adds fun content for the kinds of turbonerds who care enough about a game to actually read the forums.

Varius Xeral wrote:
That's it, CCP, Joe Buzzard has drawn the line in the sand. You have been warned.

Varius Xeral wrote:
You're operating under a completely false and self-invented premise.

The bounty system isn't about helping people who need others to defend them. It's just another tool for interaction between pilots and organizations. In that sense it has been a brilliant success. Its major limitation is that the payout percentage needs to be kept low because of the difficulties around valuing destroyed items in ways that prevent exploiting the system.

Varius Xeral wrote:
Malcanis needs to broaden his appeal to the blatantly mentally ill.

Varius Xeral wrote:
How about I take the time to ensure that organizations involved in a hobby of mine are functioning as they should and the people involved are acting reasonably considering the circumstances and context, instead of trying to create drama and intrigue where there is none?

You know, like a mentally stable person would?

Now most of your posts seem to be negative of well anyone really, you accuse people of being mentally unstable, have a complete distaste of the CSM and frankly most of the player base.

You are a good example to see whether people who do not vote, follow a pattern of behavior. As to how to get someone like yourself to vote, well frankly I have no idea. There will always be those who will not vote.

This tag will allow greater visibility to the CSM and attract more people to vote, given your posting history I do not believe that you would ever agree with that or most of the things that are ever posted on these forums.

Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#31 - 2013-05-06 14:38:55 UTC
I do vote, and you are mentally unstable.

Frying Doom
#32 - 2013-05-06 14:42:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Frying Doom
Varius Xeral wrote:
I do vote, and you are mentally unstable.

So you vote but post "The CSM is an insular popularity contest to select unpaid game consultants.

Anyone who talks about "representation" is utterly full of crap."

and I'm mentally unstable?Lol

I think I will post this one here to show your wonderfully clear ideas

Varius Xeral wrote:
Bugsy VanHalen wrote:
yes the real military does gank, but they gank other solders who have guns. Not women and children.

...this is a gem

Well I for one hope to see the tags implemented soon. The CSM really needs the boost in visibility after the last 14 months of hell.

Also my mistaking you for a person who did not vote, is yet another valid example as to why the tags would help.

Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#33 - 2013-05-06 14:46:53 UTC
Yes, you are.

I'm voting to select unpaid game consultants in an insular popularity contest. I'm not really sure what you think you're doing, though whatever it is, it's not healthy.

Frying Doom
#34 - 2013-05-06 15:01:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Frying Doom
Varius Xeral wrote:
Yes, you are.

I'm voting to select unpaid game consultants in an insular popularity contest. I'm not really sure what you think you're doing, though whatever it is, it's not healthy.

Maybe some more wonderful quotes as to why people should listen to you?
Varius Xeral wrote:
Sorry about your hisec, bro.

This is the year we take it all, so enjoy it while you can. I suggest arranging for your future nullsec serfdom now, as the terms will be a lot worse when the hammer falls and the mass exodus of carebears from the wastelands of nerfed hisec begins.

Varius Xeral wrote:
Clueless knobs like this are why we took the CSM and are never giving it back.

Three cheers to the brave souls who suffer on the CSM to keep the rest of us safe from idiots with opinions.

Varius Xeral wrote:
I cannot believe that people this stupid actually exist.

Varius Xeral wrote:
This guy is literally mentally ill.

Yes I can really see why anyone would listen to you. You are full of bile, and believe that the CSM should only be for Null sec, so of course you don't want anything that would increase its visibility.

All you seem capable of is insulting people and putting down ideas.

But that was rather off the subject, even though it does prove no one should listen to you, especially when it comes to increasing the visibility of the CSM, and voter turn out.

Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#35 - 2013-05-06 15:07:11 UTC
It proves nothing. I engage seriously when I deem it beneficial.

In this particular case, for example, I didn't even feel the need to explain why I thought it was terrible, as the entire argument is moot because CCP will never implement something like this.

You will continue to post a lot of words, some people may engage on varying levels, but nothing will ever come of it.

Frying Doom
#36 - 2013-05-06 15:11:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Frying Doom
Varius Xeral wrote:
You will continue to post a lot of words, some people may engage on varying levels, but nothing will ever come of it.

Actually in this case i will just quote you, well in answer to you anyway.
Varius Xeral wrote:
I cannot believe that people this stupid actually exist.
plus,
As to nothing will come of it, yes that is your hope as you have clearly expressed your desire for the CSM to be only for Null. There will always be those who try to stop a change for the better for their own selfish interests.

EvilweaselSA
GoonCorp
Goonswarm Federation
#37 - 2013-05-06 15:38:42 UTC
ccp please add a dislike button to the forums and once someone has accumulated enough dislikes they are automatically ignored
Mike Azariah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#38 - 2013-05-06 15:51:55 UTC
We discussed this on PODSIDE podcast last week.

My suggestion (as a player, not CSM) was to try to give a tax break to people who vote, even 1% less on refining or market taxes. Not much but an edge for those who pay attention

Yes it might create a larger donkey vote as people randomly vote to get the break but that would be filtered out as background noise and we might actually see people give more interest to the system as a result.

The tax break would not even have to last the entire year.

I have always felt that carrots work better than sticks in motivating people to move in the right direction

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)

Snow Axe
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#39 - 2013-05-06 18:35:05 UTC
What always strikes me about these "let's give people _______ if they vote!" arguments is how you're on one hand admitting that the CSM itself just isn't going to ever be interesting enough on its own to get a significantly larger amount of people to vote, but on the other hand ignoring that very fact in the name of giving a meaningless inflation to the number of voters that turn out.

Also if you're going to try to get CCP to bribe people into voting, why not go whole hog and give out special edition ships or clothes or implants or whatever? It's not like there's much of a difference between that and some vanity tag, and hell, actual in-game items wouldn't carry the stupid scarlet letter connotations that an "I voted" tag would, so they'd be better.

Or you could go the other way and realize that maybe, just maybe the CSM and CCP combined have done a pretty lousy job of selling the CSM to players. CCP already realized that and made steps towards changing it with their devblog - maybe the CSM needs to get on board with that train of thought too?

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#40 - 2013-05-06 19:59:28 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
The CSM really needs the boost in visibility after the last 14 months of hell.

"Hell"? Roll

Tell us about your suffering, FD. Does it burn?

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016