These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

I'm thinking goin to Mars. Wanna come?

First post
Author
Jarod Garamonde
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2013-05-04 13:11:29 UTC
Every time I hear about setting up a base on Mars, I can't help but think about that one David Tennant episode of Doctor Who.... man, I hope The Flood isn't real. Watch out for the water on Mars, guys....

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

[#savethelance]
Hessian Arcturus
Doomheim
#22 - 2013-05-04 13:45:03 UTC
Altimo wrote:
If you actually took the time to read the website, you would see that they intend to train every candidate the required "8 years of training"

People dont read... What are you on about... They do however, always have an opinion on **** they know nothing about...

Wonderfull how a little bit of reading beforehand can help...

It's human nature to want to explore. To find your line and go beyond it. The only limit, is the one you set yourself.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#23 - 2013-05-04 14:33:08 UTC
Moving this from General Discussion to Out of Pod Experience.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#24 - 2013-05-04 14:40:29 UTC
Kirjava wrote:
If you see this in Out of Pod, I frigging called it ok?

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode wrote:
Moving this from General Discussion to Out of Pod Experience.

Called it.

[center]Haruhiists - Overloading Out of Pod discussions since 2007. /人◕‿‿◕人\ Unban Saede![/center]

Commissar Akiga
Perkone
Caldari State
#25 - 2013-05-04 15:19:06 UTC
Altimo wrote:
If you actually took the time to read the website, you would see that they intend to train every candidate the required "8 years of training"

Indeed. It's going to be incredibly difficult to get in even if you're a skilled professional that's critical to the success of the mission.

It's going to take a lot more than "I'd be willing to give up everything to go". My bet is people won't even get a look in unless they're doctorate holders or skilled workers like electricians with 10+ years of experience in the relevant areas.

I'd have applied if it wasn't for the whole TV spectacle around it.

A man of genius makes no mistakes. His errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.

Grog Barrel
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2013-05-04 17:35:10 UTC
Brooks Puuntai wrote:
I wouldn't even want to know what the latency is, or the traceroute on that connection would be.

10ms ping since you firstly start, with other martians, setting up a LAN. (don't even tell me you want to play games with underdeveloped terrans).
Cyprus Black
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#27 - 2013-05-05 00:55:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Cyprus Black
I'd go.

I mean, what else do I have going on aside from video games, a job, bills, annoying girlfriend I'm considering dumping, and the occasional cool movie in the theater.

I actually have submarine experience and training that I believe may translate well to space travel.

Summary of EvEs last four expansions: http://imgur.com/ZL5SM33

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#28 - 2013-05-05 01:09:57 UTC
hmm. the adventurist in me thinks going to and living on another planet for a time would be pretty neat...the pragmatist in me thinks it would probably suck ass after a while. especially a planet like mars. which is cold, airless (not breathable air anyway) barren and...beyond the novelty romance of it being an alien world which would likely wear off...boring.

life in a cage on a dusty red rock.
Michael Stabb
Doomheim
#29 - 2013-05-05 02:26:27 UTC
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
hmm. the adventurist in me thinks going to and living on another planet for a time...

But it's not just "for a time", it's for the rest of your life!

That's what didn't really click with me when I first read about it. I thought "oh, that'd be cool, I could live on Mars", and then it really hit me what it would be like.. every day would be a trial. Sure, you'd have some downtime to relax, but most of the time you're patching holes and setting up or operating equipment to continue to make Mars that much more habitable.

Not saying it can't or shouldn't be done, though.
Previous page12