These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

[PROPOSAL] Support Tug-class Ships

Author
Jack Carrigan
Order of the Shadow
The Revenant Order
#1 - 2011-11-02 18:17:27 UTC
Alright, with the recent advent of us getting the new shiny Tier 3 Battlecruisers, I think that the Industrial folks should get a little love. Now, before anyone flips **** about this, I'm not proposing anything like a T3 Barge. But it would be useful (especially if used by neutrals during wartime operations).

What I propose, is each race get a Support Tug-class ship.

These ships would have no offensive capabilities whatsoever, very little cargo space, the ability to fit a fairly decent tank OR EWAR modules (ECM Burst) for defensive capabilities.

Right now, I'm sure everyone's a bit confused, so here's where we get to the good part.

These ships would have a Ship Transport Bay (no, you wouldn't be able to use it to swap ships in space), which allows it to transport assembled, fitted and rigged ships without having to first insert them into a Courier package. The purpose of this would be to alleviate the ***pain associated with moving from one locale to another for various operations, permanent relocation, or tactical deployments (pre-staging for war, or in the case of neutrals, moving ships during a war).

The reasoning behind this, is as players gain SP and ISK, they are more prone to acquire more and more ships. Some of these ships hold sentimental value (even if they are just pixels) or would be expensive as **** to rerig. So my proposal gives said players a means to move said vessels without having to take their expensive rigs off, or go through the pain in the *** of setting up a courier contract to package it for shipment.

Now, I suggest that one of these ships (at max skills) would allow for the movement of two to three Battleship-class hulls.

I would recommend this ship be manufactured by The Interbus, as they are the group that would be best suited for a mass-transit vessel of this type (with assistance from racial specific corporations). The skill associated with this ship would be something to the effect of "Support Tugs" and I recommend it being a six to eight times multiplier skill.

And as each race would require their own, they would need names. So, as it is basically a freighter that specializes in moving ships, let's utilize the Freighter naming scheme:

Gallente: Monolith-class Support Tug
Minmatar: Bedouin-class Support Tug
Caldari: Pelican-class Support Tug
Amarr: Pillar-class Support Tug

Any input or constructive criticism on this proposal would be greatly appreciated.

I am the One who exists in Shadow. I am the Devil your parents warned you about.

||CEO: Order of the Shadow||Executor: The Revenant Order||Creator: Bowhead||

Mortis vonShadow
Balanaz Mining and Development Inc.
#2 - 2011-11-02 18:57:33 UTC
So, basically what your asking for is an over-sized orca.

One that is big enuff to hold two or three fully loaded battleships. No offensive, but a massive tank and a little bit on the defensive side.

I could see it happening.

Some days you're the bug, and some days your the windscreen.                   And some days, you're just a man with a gun.

Jack Carrigan
Order of the Shadow
The Revenant Order
#3 - 2011-11-02 19:03:40 UTC
Yes and no.

The only thing it would be capable of carrying in the bay is ships. And it wouldn't allow for refitting or storing/swapping in space.

As for the actual cargohold, it wouldn't be very large. No Corp Hangar either.

I am the One who exists in Shadow. I am the Devil your parents warned you about.

Domukuan II
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#4 - 2011-11-02 19:27:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Domukuan II
I really like this one, although if you were going to have them be race-specific (have a different one for each race) they shouldn't be made by the Interbus. These could be Teir 2 or Tech 2 freighters, although as a Teir 2 they would allow a Jump-capable or otherwise augmented version in the future.

Amarr Pillar would be made by Imperial Shipment.

Caldari Pelican would be made by Lai Dai or CBD Corporation.

Gallente Monolith would be made by Transstellar Shipping.

Matari Bedouin would be made by Thukker Tribe or Freedom Extension.
Jack Carrigan
Order of the Shadow
The Revenant Order
#5 - 2011-11-02 19:32:09 UTC
Domukuan II wrote:
I really like this one, although if you were going to have them be race-specific (have a different one for each race) they shouldn't be made by the Interbus. These could be Teir 2 or Tech 2 freighters, although as a Teir 2 they would allow a Jump-capable or otherwise augmented version in the future.

Amarr Pillar would be made by Imperial Shipment.

Caldari Pelican would be made by Lai Dai or CBD Corporation.

Gallente Monolith would be made by Transstellar Shipping.

Matari Bedouin would be made by Thukker Tribe or Freedom Extension.

This is the type of input I was hoping for. And I ctually do see your point about the Interbus. Because then they'd all be one in the same.

Angry Onions
Fast Eddy's X-ploding Diner
#6 - 2011-11-02 19:40:49 UTC
To boil this down for TL;DR and illiterate fags, this would be a space tow-truck.
This is a good idea. Why? Because moving multiple ships from point A to point B is such a monolithic (hehe) pain in my ass that I often don't do it and just leave ships in A and buy in B.... annoying as hell as you never cover losses 100%.
Having this ship around would be amazing on so many levels, now its my turn to delve in the details.

Skill Requirements
[Race] Industrial V
Industry V
Spaceship Command V
Transport I (maybe? can go with or without)
[Race] Tow ship (or Tugger) I

Feel free to offer opinions on that (too demanding or not enough?)

Fitting
0 high slots (can't think of any reason why they need them)
3-5 Mid-slots (varies per race, of course)
3-5 Low-slots (varies per race, of course)

Low amount of CPU and PW
Standard resistances for S/A/H
Capacitor... maybe same as a t2 indy ship?
Medium or Large sized signature radius
No targeting ability what so every

Maneuverability
Very low turning ability/agility
maybe 100m/s top speed ?
strong warp engine though, 6 AU/s ( can't be too slow, wouldn't have practical warfare purposes then)

Skill related bonuses
These offer different bonuses that fit each race
Amarr: 5% increase to armor hp or resistances (which one would be better? ) per Tugger skill level
Caldari: 5% increase to passive shield recharge rate per level
Gallente: 5% increase to which ever the Amarr doesnt get per level
Minmatar: 5% increase to agility per level.

Other
Tugger should be able to hold same amount of ships across all four races and same as lvl 1 or lvl 5
Tugger should have special ability to "deploy" a ship where ever it the pilot feels like.
If pilot drops a ship in mid-warp, 75% chance the ship dropped will be destroyed due to FTL black magic (how does it work?!)
The Tugger as well as the ships being towed should be targetable, meaning that a ship being towed could also be shot to hell
Any ships being towed will have any DCU's Armor/Shield Hardeners turned on by default, but no rep units will be onlined during towing.
If the tugger is destroyed, the ships that are being hauled ARE NOT destroyed, meaning that they can boarded by anyone after destruction of tugger, they will be somewhat damaged though and so will the modulues.
Tugger cannot haul Macherials or Nightmares due to their size, Abaddons still can be, but it takes up more room due to size

Should have a skeleton design to where you can see what ships are being hauled just by looking at it (like the troop transports in SupCom)

Thats all i can think of... more ideas?

S H I T P O S T I N G

Zanban
Lava Shark Productions
#7 - 2011-11-02 21:06:15 UTC
I likes this idea
Domukuan II
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#8 - 2011-11-02 21:12:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Domukuan II
Angry, Jack originally suggested it as a freighter-style ship so you decide ZOMG it's a TRANSPORT SHIP! That's not the point. It would be a variation on freighter. Although as it could be a tier 2 style of tech 2 (Interdictors require the Interceptors skill, Command Ships require HACs or Logistics) your idea isn't totally moot.

I see one of the two following scenarios:

Tech 2 Freighter:

Support Tugs I
--Transport Ships IV
----Spaceship Command III
----Industry V
--Advanced Spaceship Command III
----Spaceship Command V

{Racial} Freighter IV
--Advanced Spaceship Command I
----Spaceship Command V
--{Racial} Industrial V
----{Racial} Frigate III
------Spaceship Command I

Racial Freighter Skill Bonus:
Amarr: 5% Bonus to Armor Resistances per level
Caldari: 5% Bonus to Shield Capacity per level
Gallente: 5% Bonus to Armor HP per level
Minmatar: 5% Bonus to Agility per level

Support Tugs Skill Bonus:
10% Increase to Ship Transport Bay Capacity per level
+0.6 Warp Strength per level

or a Tier 2 freighter:

{Racial} Freighter II
--Advanced Spaceship Command I
----Spaceship Command V
--{Racial} Industrial V
----{Racial} Frigate III
------Spaceship Command I

{Racial} Freighter Skill Bonus:
Amarr: 5% Bonus to Armor Resistances and 10% Increase to Ship Transport Bay Capacity per level
Caldari: 5% Bonus to Shield Capacity and 10% Increase to Ship Transport Bay Capacity per level
Gallente: 5% Bonus to Armor HP and 10% Increase to Ship Transport Bay Capacity per level
Minmatar: 5% Bonus to Agility and 10% Increase to Ship Transport Bay Capacity per level

I also propose a new name: Envoy Ships
Angry Onions
#9 - 2011-11-02 23:12:21 UTC
Domu, I'm just adding a different spin on this, I was throwing in the idea of a ship, medium sized, that doesnt hold ships inside of it, but holds on to them via super-duper tractor bean thing that works in warp and comes built on ship, essentially a tug-boat in space literally. Tie ships you want to move to tugboat, fly tugboat, reach destination and receive bacon. This can be measured by a "ship holding bay" but this just drives a different visual look to it. I think it would be nice to see it like that instead of another uber big ship like freighters :)

S H I T P O S T I N G

Jack Carrigan
Order of the Shadow
The Revenant Order
#10 - 2011-11-02 23:25:24 UTC
Angry Onions wrote:
Domu, I'm just adding a different spin on this, I was throwing in the idea of a ship, medium sized, that doesnt hold ships inside of it, but holds on to them via super-duper tractor bean thing that works in warp and comes built on ship, essentially a tug-boat in space literally. Tie ships you want to move to tugboat, fly tugboat, reach destination and receive bacon. This can be measured by a "ship holding bay" but this just drives a different visual look to it. I think it would be nice to see it like that instead of another uber big ship like freighters :)

The idea behind this is to actually allow some semblence of security while moving said ships.

Angry Onions
#11 - 2011-11-02 23:46:25 UTC
Eh, fair enough.

S H I T P O S T I N G

Jaffo Orran
ELS.EXE
#12 - 2011-11-03 00:59:49 UTC
+1 to the concept. And i would prefer the freighter style over the "tow truck" as said for a small security feature if you realy need to know whats in it there are cargo scanners.
Domukuan II
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#13 - 2011-11-03 01:04:58 UTC
Yeah pulling around my ship on a tractor beam seems like a bad enough idea before I get to a stargate.
Jack Carrigan
Order of the Shadow
The Revenant Order
#14 - 2011-11-03 02:12:42 UTC
Jita 4-4. 'nuff said.

That is exactly why it was NOT proposed as a "Tow Truck," but rather a ship freighter. You want to know what's in it? A Passive Targetter and Cargo Scanner work wonders for that.

The idea is so that you can mass move ships when relocating, or in preparation for war (or have neutrals move ships for you during a war) without having to remove expensive rigs (thus breaking them, and costing you more ISK), and to save the hassle of having to package in a courier container, or run the risk of getting ripped off on a courier contract.

Not to mention, it would open up a little more for the Industrial folks, and show some love to the space truckers. It's about time they get something new and shiny, and I figured they should get something not only new and shiny, but something that would benefit just about everyone. And just think of all the tears shed when one gets ganked, and drops an assembled, fit and rigged Battleship or two.

So it also plays into risk v. reward. You want to haul fitted ships, you run the risk of having them drop when the ship explodes.

Jack Carrigan
Order of the Shadow
The Revenant Order
#15 - 2011-11-03 11:58:25 UTC
Bumping for exposure.

Zi'Boo
Zi'Corp
#16 - 2011-11-03 13:55:22 UTC
If it could hold only 2 BS sized ships you might as well propose to allow assembled ships into the cargo hold and stick with freighters for high sec and carriers for low / null sec.

It would need to be significantly bigger to make any difference and be worth while.
Domukuan II
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#17 - 2011-11-03 14:35:23 UTC
Zi'Boo wrote:
If it could hold only 2 BS sized ships you might as well propose to allow assembled ships into the cargo hold and stick with freighters for high sec and carriers for low / null sec.

It would need to be significantly bigger to make any difference and be worth while.

From my original idea it could be doubled. 4 with level 1, 6 with level V.
Flashrain
Evermore Warriors
Solyaris Chtonium
#18 - 2011-11-03 14:43:31 UTC
Like the general concept.

Would be cooler to implement as a literal space tugboat, such that you can visually see a chain of ships being pulled along by a little ship.

Maybe shooting at it will have a chance cause one or more ships to detach - but the tugboat will move a lot faster.

While we are at it, give it the ability to drag asteroids around.
Ingvar Angst
Nasty Pope Holding Corp
#19 - 2011-11-03 14:46:06 UTC
You'd definitely need maximum ship hull size limits... don't want someone carrying dreadnaughts or supers into Jita and letting them loose there. Pirate

Six months in the hole... it changes a man.

Jack Carrigan
Order of the Shadow
The Revenant Order
#20 - 2011-11-03 14:46:30 UTC
Flashrain wrote:
Like the general concept.

Would be cooler to implement as a literal space tugboat, such that you can visually see a chain of ships being pulled along by a little ship.

Maybe shooting at it will have a chance cause one or more ships to detach - but the tugboat will move a lot faster.

While we are at it, give it the ability to drag asteroids around.

Well, seeing as how it will be carrying assembled ships, ganking it will give the chance that some of the ships in the Ship Transport Bay would drop in space, allowing for them to be boarded by the ganker.

123Next page