These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Solar flares and afk cloaking

Author
Freelancer117
So you want to be a Hero
#1 - 2013-04-29 12:45:18 UTC
Hi,

My idea is that a star in a system has on occasion (randomly timed) solar flares.
X-rays and UV radiation emitted by solar flares can affect and disrupt the cloaking systems on ships.

This will de-cloak afk cloakers, at random intervals (with maybe a cap limit on flares per day for SB fleets) Cool

Eve online is :

A) mining simulator B) glorified chatroom C) spreadsheets online

D) CCP Games Pay to Win at skill leveling, with instant gratification

http://eve-radio.com//images/photos/3419/223/34afa0d7998f0a9a86f737d6.jpg

http://bit.ly/1egr4mF

DataRunner Attor
Doomheim
#2 - 2013-04-29 13:04:08 UTC
Hi.

My idea for you is to use the search system, it Convenient, free, and already in place!

“Point out to me a person who has been harmed by an AFK cloaker and I will point out a person who has no business playing this game.”

Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2013-04-29 13:05:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Alx Warlord
Ensuring that there is a warning before the solar flare hits the ship.... I think that is would be ok...

although many will complain, as this is an afk-cloak tread, and your topic will be put here: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=216699&find=unread
ExAstra
Echoes of Silence
#4 - 2013-04-29 13:06:58 UTC
This will also decloak people actively cloaking and attempting to set up a lul-bomb or just trying to get to that gate safely because that stupid bubble caught you and not 20 seconds later someone showed up at the bubble trying to decloak any unlucky guys. But you were lucky and got out beforehand.

So no.

Save the drones!

Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#5 - 2013-04-29 13:39:49 UTC
poasting in an afk thread

how does someone not there affect you for a mild attempt at content.

Veshta Yoshida
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#6 - 2013-04-29 13:53:57 UTC
Freelancer117 wrote:
Hi,

My idea is that a star in a system has on occasion (randomly timed) solar flares.
X-rays and UV radiation emitted by solar flares can affect and disrupt the cloaking systems on ships.

This will de-cloak afk cloakers, at random intervals (with maybe a cap limit on flares per day for SB fleets) Cool

A novel idea, but it lacks the downsides that we all know and love.

POS module, Coronal Agitator. One possible per system like cyno jammers.
Upon activation it generates a solar flare that irradiates the entire system and forces cloaks to cycle off .. radiation is a fickle thing however so at the same time all exposed shields (ie. not docked in station/outpost) are reduced by 20%. Secondary effect is that all capacitors of undocked ships are instantly refilled.
- Use to decloak holstiles.
- Use to move capitals around at break neck speeds (who needs EHP anyway!)
- Use with spy to cripple shields on structures prior to attack.
- Use for ratting .. hahahahaha!

Won't matter for long though as the announced probing changes points towards local getting axed soon'ish (what you don't see can't annoy/harm you, ostrich rules!), question is we will see a counter to cloaks introduced at the same time.
Onomerous
Caldari Black Hand
Caldari Tactical Operations Command
#7 - 2013-04-29 17:29:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Onomerous
Actually it is a GREAT idea...

for solving something that isn't broken... don't mess with stuff that is working!!!
DuKackBoon
Soban Heavy Industries
#8 - 2013-04-30 00:13:08 UTC
The problem with that explanation is that the cloaks work by bending electromagnetic radiation around the ship.
DeLindsay
Galaxies Fall
#9 - 2013-04-30 00:20:00 UTC
AFK Cloaking is a TACTIC not a broken system within Eve. It's too damn bad if you don't like the tactic, it's too damn bad if other players don't like the tactic. It's part of Eve and they would have a very difficult time changing it without breaking the entire point of Cloaking ships.

The Operative: "There are a lot of innocent people being killed in the air right now".

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: "You have no idea how true that is".

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#10 - 2013-04-30 07:59:12 UTC
Posting in a crying-about-cloaks thread.

AFK cloakers are zero threat to anyone why do you want mechanics to force them to decloak? Are you so bad you can't find active players to shoot at?
Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#11 - 2013-04-30 09:33:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Jint Hikaru
Freelancer117 wrote:
Hi,

Will this also eject people from stations & POS bubbles???? Because these people may be AFK too.

They are doing exactly the same thing as AFK Cloakers.... sitting in an unreachable location & showing up on Local's all seeing eye while not being at their computer.

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Tchulen
Trumpets and Bookmarks
#12 - 2013-04-30 09:45:06 UTC
I'm getting pretty bored of reading the same sorry excuses for AFK cloak whines on the forum by people who both lack the imagination to think of counters which exist in the game currently and lack the sense to search the forums for the many, many iterations of the same whines by people with equally lacking imagination in which the solutions have been posited.

If you did a bit of research you would come up with all the possible counters to AFK cloaking and thus join the multitude of people who read these whine posts with vitriolic scorn and a certain pride in not being "one of those anti-cloak whiners".

I and many like me have previously explained the many methods of playing AFK cloakers (and in fact not AFK cloakers who are actively waiting for people to think they're afk so they can hot drop on them) at their own games. I won't repeat them here. If you want to find them do some research.

Freelancer117
So you want to be a Hero
#13 - 2013-04-30 16:16:00 UTC
thanks for the kind responses, was just thinking out loud when this idea hit me during fanfest.

I have no problem with afk pilots, makes for easier targets, it's just a shame we can kill all afk pilots everywhere (they fixed the deep-safe safespot) except when they are cloaked, we lose gameplay this way.

oh well, found someone who was very nice to bundle all the ideas so far:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2762387#post2762387

Eve online is :

Freelancer117
So you want to be a Hero
#14 - 2013-04-30 16:18:19 UTC
oh forget, ccp will fix drone ai soon, who knows anti-cloaking sniffer drones ? seek'em all Cool

Eve online is :

Old Fellow
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2013-04-30 16:31:30 UTC
Freelancer117 wrote:
Hi,

Sure sounds good
Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#16 - 2013-04-30 23:24:33 UTC
Freelancer117 wrote:
Hi,

In order to balance this I would also suggest that each solar flare prevents all mining in a system, which incidentally would wreck your botting business.

Cloaking is a tactic, not a broken mechanic, botting however breaks the eula and harms the player driven economy, so I know which one is most acceptable to ccp.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#17 - 2013-04-30 23:51:43 UTC
Jint Hikaru wrote:
Will this also eject people from stations & POS bubbles???? Because these people may be AFK too.

They are doing exactly the same thing as AFK Cloakers.... sitting in an unreachable location & showing up on Local's all seeing eye while not being at their computer.

I think this is the best version I heard yet.

My signature agrees with the basics even.