These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Are there any deaf players out there?

First post
Author
Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#1 - 2013-04-29 12:22:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Corey Fumimasa
I was in fleet the other day and the FC asked for someone to relay commands, I x'ed up. Fleet chat was busy with banter and noise so I opened a private chat specifically for the relayed voice and invited anyone in fleet to it.

As it was only myself and the person who needed the relay were there. This sort of surprised me because I often miss a voice command and have to go back and read through chat or look at the broadcasts to see what is going on. A dedicated relay channel would be awesome.

Anyway I typed all the voice commands and tried to relay some of the idle banter; little arguments and calls to clear comms, FC thinking out loud, and laughter that you sometimes hear.

I'm not a great typist or a good multi-tasker =-P We both died! But I had a good time and it was interesting to think about the game in a new way.

Are you unable to hear sounds in Evef? have you worked with a deaf person in game? What would you like to see and how can you best be incorporated into fleet? Do you have access to a talk to text program? or does that lag things up too much? Is it better if a dedicated relayer interprets fleet chat or would it be better if everything is broadcast using the fleet broadcast tool?

Anyway, thanks for your time and for anyone that has a handicap thanks for playing, it helps me to see the game in new and interesting ways.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#2 - 2013-04-29 12:24:50 UTC
Only when jumping through a jump bridge.
Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#3 - 2013-04-29 12:27:08 UTC
Considering how common the question "EVE has sound?" is, I'd say there are a lot of deaf players. In fact, they may be the majority.
Pepper Solette
Doomheim
#4 - 2013-04-29 12:58:41 UTC
I remember flying with a guy that was a quadriplegic. I kid you not. I can't remember how we even got to the topic one day when we were flying but it completely blew me away.

He has a special system that he used his chin and something else to do all of the commands. He ended up linking us the systems he used. I was impressed that he was still able to go on roams and do so much despite what we think of as a disability really made me take a good hard look at people that complain about minor inconveniences in life.

I personally don't play with a lot of in-game sound. I'm usually too busy talking/listening on TS. Kudos to you my friend for taking the time to write to the guy and keep him updated on what the FC was saying.

+1 from me for a great story.

** Miko Sunji:  "There is no better way to find out if you can swim, than swimming for your life."**

Nex apparatu5
Blackwood Co.
#5 - 2013-04-29 13:11:19 UTC
To answer this seriously, Karab Gerlinger in Test is deaf, unfortunately he's not around that much anymore. He would just get most of his information for fleets in jabber, but then again he usually flew titans and could handle himself.
Myobi Rush
State War Academy
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-04-29 13:28:18 UTC
Yeah there is more deaf pilots in EVE, Three are in my corp, myself included. They PVP a lot more than I can (College keeps me busy) and they are pretty good at it. We've come across other deaf pilots in different corp/alliances but we don't know them personally. I recruited two deaf players from my college two months ago and they are still playing. So yeah there is more deaf pilots out there that I am not aware of.

Often we get lucky to get a nice person willing to relay for us, sometime it doesn't happen so we tend to avoid those fights because we often get left behind. A relay channel does help for us. Relaying the other stuff not related to the mission isn't an requirement but a nice bonus.

I personally can hear sounds above 80db so my earphone is cranked up high (Destroyed several headphones due to this... lol.) I can recognize sounds such as shield/armor getting low alarm, nearby explosion, guns firing, running footsteps, etc etc. Just that I can't understand spoken words.

I believe that you were one of my relay in one of the previous fight. I died in that fight but wasn't your fault. Got alpha'd inside a bubble. I would gladly fly with you again.

Thanks for being awesome and helping us deaf pilots out, it's appreciated!
Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#7 - 2013-04-29 20:38:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Corey Fumimasa
Anytime Myobi , as I said it was fun and new way to see the game. Ask up anytime for a relay, I sometimes wait a bit any time a volunteer is asked for to see if someone else wants to =-P whether it be anchor or scout or whatever. But I enjoyed relaying commands and would happily do so again.

*Sometimes I drink too much beer and have trouble typing =-P I will let you know if that is the case!

** I work with chainsaws as my father did before me. I'm very careful to look directly at people when I speak to them and make sure that they can see my mouth. It helps if I can see people speak if there are others talking or loud background noise.
NightCrawler 85
Phoibe Enterprises
#8 - 2013-04-30 03:48:27 UTC
I used to play with a girl that was a deaf/mute. I talked quite a bit with her cousin and he helped her out quite a bit since they often stayed in the same house.
I have also talked to others who are deaf and run into the question on weather or not they will be able to do things like PVP. Some corps seem to be in a position where they will simply say no to someone who is deaf because it IS more difficult when you cant follow voice chat when there is a busy fleet and a lot of stuff going on, but honestly i think CCP has made many improvements that have made these things easier (the broadcast system as an example).

I dont know what else they could do to make it easier tho... Not many people have the patience to sit and write out commands like you did in the middle of a fleet, and even for those that do its so easy to mess it up somehow (especially when english is not your native language, or its an odd accent).

However im sure the broadcast system can be improved on to be even faster and easier to use, and have some more options (like a big "RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!" button) but honestly i think the only people who can really answer what would make it easier are people who are deaf and have experiense being in fleets.
KuroVolt
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-04-30 03:54:22 UTC
Well Corey, you kinda answered your own question didnt you?

Provi has a few deaf members, that much I know.

Luckily we have many people who are helpfull enough to relay FC commands. :)

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

KuroVolt
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2013-04-30 03:59:20 UTC
Myobi Rush wrote:
Yeah there is more deaf pilots in EVE, Three are in my corp, myself included. They PVP a lot more than I can (College keeps me busy) and they are pretty good at it. We've come across other deaf pilots in different corp/alliances but we don't know them personally. I recruited two deaf players from my college two months ago and they are still playing. So yeah there is more deaf pilots out there that I am not aware of.

Often we get lucky to get a nice person willing to relay for us, sometime it doesn't happen so we tend to avoid those fights because we often get left behind. A relay channel does help for us. Relaying the other stuff not related to the mission isn't an requirement but a nice bonus.

I personally can hear sounds above 80db so my earphone is cranked up high (Destroyed several headphones due to this... lol.) I can recognize sounds such as shield/armor getting low alarm, nearby explosion, guns firing, running footsteps, etc etc. Just that I can't understand spoken words.

I believe that you were one of my relay in one of the previous fight. I died in that fight but wasn't your fault. Got alpha'd inside a bubble. I would gladly fly with you again.

Thanks for being awesome and helping us deaf pilots out, it's appreciated!

Seeing as we in CVA seem to have a handfull of deaf players, maybe we can somehow set up a channel with both deaf players and relaying volunteers to help organisation during fleets and to make sure you nearly always have someone competent relaying for you.

Might be a good thing to propose on our internal allied forums.

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

WMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWM WMWMWMWMWMWM
Doomheim
There are deaf players out there. Unfortunately most of them just creep by using the "oh yeah i cant use voip sorry" with whatever reasons they can muster to make excuses. Most of the more ambitious corporations are really useless when it comes to a relay channel. The few times they tried, they did their best but they just weren't able to do it and eventually got tired of relaying it which only worsens the problem.

It's sad though, I'd play the game more if there were dedicated relayers. Anyways it's neat to see that CVA has some deaf pilots, but I don't think I'd be able to join CVA on my main (hence why I'm posting on this alt to prevent embarrassment) due to his... ahem... UK history.

But yeah, the corporations I have been in are totally useless when it comes to relay that I've just given up on them altogether. I once tried to make a "deaf only corporation" on a character called Nonexistent Face (he is not me, I sold him a long time ago) but it never became successful because... well it was just my two deaf irl friends and I ... no one else joined for nearly a year or something iirc.

EDIT: Hmm, it appears that my main is not actually KOS. It's just his (admittedly pirate-based) corporation that's KOS so I guess if I left I could apply...? I may get in touch with you dudes after all :)
Le Badass
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2013-04-30 05:48:08 UTC
Not quite deaf yet, but I'm getting there.

The really good question is: Are there any blind players out there?
SCLZ
New Eden Shipyards
Sigma Grindset
#13 - 2013-04-30 06:26:44 UTC
I've met a few deaf folks in EVE though it would seem they'll be the same folks you'll encounter in your alliance :)

I've also tried my hand at relaying what was happening in comms back in the day with mixed success - I'm no expert in typing either and at times it's difficult to keep up. But I think anything is better than nothing, the thought of being on a roam and out in the dark with no comms scares me :P

DarthNefarius
Minmatar Heavy Industries
#14 - 2013-04-30 07:07:48 UTC
Yes I've had a few deaf players in incursion fleets & welcome them.Big smile
An' then Chicken@little.com, he come scramblin outta the    Terminal room screaming "The system's crashing! The system's    crashing!" -Uncle RAMus, 'Tales for Cyberpsychotic Children'
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#15 - 2013-04-30 11:15:52 UTC
I havent had the experience of having any deaf pilots in my fleets but I've heard stories of people who PVP purely by type - and are damn good at it. Relaying spoken commands into (fleet) chat and broadcasts is a great idea to overcome this and it helps with larger fleets with many inexperienced pilots too.

Do any of the hearing impaired use any of the visual aids in PVP? I mean the number and letter tags you can place on targets. I've seen this used in PVE to prevent shooting triggers and nominate sniper targets. but I'd imagine it might be a usefull tool in PVP too.
Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#16 - 2013-04-30 11:24:14 UTC
NightCrawler 85 wrote:
I used to play with a girl that was a deaf/mute. I talked quite a bit with her cousin and he helped her out quite a bit since they often stayed in the same house.
...edited for space...
I dont know what else they could do to make it easier tho... Not many people have the patience to sit and write out commands like you did in the middle of a fleet, and even for those that do its so easy to mess it up somehow (especially when english is not your native language, or its an odd accent).

However im sure the broadcast system can be improved on to be even faster and easier to use, and have some more options (like a big "RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!" button) but honestly i think the only people who can really answer what would make it easier are people who are deaf and have experiense being in fleets.

Yeah I would love to see some more work done on the broadcast panel, it is a great part of the UI and really makes fleet actions a lot more coordinated, with or without voice.

I'm not sure how I would improve it actually! Maybe resizable/bigger buttons, hotkeys and a few more command options.
Solaris Ecladia
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2013-04-30 12:45:06 UTC
Pepper Solette wrote:
I remember flying with a guy that was a quadriplegic. I kid you not. I can't remember how we even got to the topic one day when we were flying but it completely blew me away.

He has a special system that he used his chin and something else to do all of the commands. He ended up linking us the systems he used. I was impressed that he was still able to go on roams and do so much despite what we think of as a disability really made me take a good hard look at people that complain about minor inconveniences in life.

I personally don't play with a lot of in-game sound. I'm usually too busy talking/listening on TS. Kudos to you my friend for taking the time to write to the guy and keep him updated on what the FC was saying.

+1 from me for a great story.

Ive flown with someone who was a quadriplegic as well. He had something that he would put on the tip of his nose and it would relay commands to the mouse. Suprisingly enough he was a logi pilot and did a good job at it.
Actually havent played with a deaf person yet but have claimed to be one when my comms were dead or I couldnt be ****** with setting them up for a fleet.
KuroVolt
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2013-04-30 15:16:32 UTC
WMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWM WMWMWMWMWMWM wrote:
There are deaf players out there. Unfortunately most of them just creep by using the "oh yeah i cant use voip sorry" with whatever reasons they can muster to make excuses. Most of the more ambitious corporations are really useless when it comes to a relay channel. The few times they tried, they did their best but they just weren't able to do it and eventually got tired of relaying it which only worsens the problem.

It's sad though, I'd play the game more if there were dedicated relayers. Anyways it's neat to see that CVA has some deaf pilots, but I don't think I'd be able to join CVA on my main (hence why I'm posting on this alt to prevent embarrassment) due to his... ahem... UK history.

But yeah, the corporations I have been in are totally useless when it comes to relay that I've just given up on them altogether. I once tried to make a "deaf only corporation" on a character called Nonexistent Face (he is not me, I sold him a long time ago) but it never became successful because... well it was just my two deaf irl friends and I ... no one else joined for nearly a year or something iirc.

EDIT: Hmm, it appears that my main is not actually KOS. It's just his (admittedly pirate-based) corporation that's KOS so I guess if I left I could apply...? I may get in touch with you dudes after all :)

While you are more than welcome to aply, I urge you to do so before going into provi as there is such a thing as *KOS based on last corp*

Meaning if your last non NPC corp was hostile, it is very likely you yourself will be hostile aswell, so I suggest you either join a non KOS corp first, or aply to a provi based alliance before actually entering provi. :)

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#19 - 2013-04-30 15:20:31 UTC
Abrazzar wrote:
Considering how common the question "EVE has sound?" is, I'd say there are a lot of deaf players. In fact, they may be the majority.

Also, considering the way FC's get ignored in Comms, I'd say a substantial deaf player community is confirmed. Or is that substantially deaf? Lol

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Caisman
Smoking Hillbillys
#20 - 2013-05-02 13:03:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Caisman
Corey Fumimasa wrote:

Yeah I would love to see some more work done on the broadcast panel, it is a great part of the UI and really makes fleet actions a lot more coordinated, with or without voice.

I'm not sure how I would improve it actually! Maybe resizable/bigger buttons, hotkeys and a few more command options.

A broadcast for 'HOLD ON THE ******* GATE, YOU *******' would be proper handy. Needs to be in CAPS though.

CTRL+SPACE, just in case

Caisman's Eve

123Next pageLast page