These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Pirate bay moves to Iceland!?

Author
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#1 - 2013-04-25 15:49:05 UTC
Does Iceland know it isn't an eve-online fansite? http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-finds-safe-haven-in-iceland-switches-to-is-domain-130425/

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Commissar Kate
NulzSec
#2 - 2013-04-25 15:53:21 UTC
Lol, they are always moving. Anyone want to take bets on how long they stay in Iceland?
Random McNally
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#3 - 2013-04-25 15:58:14 UTC
My only bet would be "Not Long".

Host of High Drag Podcast. http://highdrag.wordpress.com/

Space music http://minddivided.com

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#4 - 2013-04-25 16:00:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Micheal Dietrich
I heard that anything that is even remotely associated with the country automatically becomes like Eve.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Brujo Loco
Brujeria Teologica
#5 - 2013-04-25 16:28:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Brujo Loco
bufnitza calatoare
#6 - 2013-04-26 08:56:36 UTC  |  Edited by: bufnitza calatoare
Piratebay in Iceland is PvP / Police Vs Piracy

actually that's anywhere lol..

safest place they can be is Somalia .
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#7 - 2013-04-26 21:03:50 UTC
bufnitza calatoare wrote:

Oh hells no - they'd get J-DAMs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And that's just what RIAA would send...
Lol

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#8 - 2013-04-26 21:12:38 UTC
silens vesica wrote:

Oh hells no - they'd get J-DAMs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And that's just what RIAA would send...
Lol

Besides that, Somolia already has a pirate bay domain, so there may be some conflict of interest there.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2013-04-26 21:41:53 UTC
Micheal Dietrich wrote:
silens vesica wrote:

Lol

Besides that, Somolia already has a pirate bay domain, so there may be some conflict of interest there.

Somalian pirates we!

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#10 - 2013-04-29 02:26:46 UTC
TPB really needs to be shut down for good. Bouncing around from country to country trying to find a place to host illegal activity. If Iceland has any sense, it will punt them into the ocean. Or better yet, reverse dunk them into one of their volcanoes.

I can't stand people who steal.
Rain6639
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#11 - 2013-04-29 05:35:17 UTC
define "steal"
bufnitza calatoare
#12 - 2013-04-29 07:33:40 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:
TPB really needs to be shut down for good. Bouncing around from country to country trying to find a place to host illegal activity. If Iceland has any sense, it will punt them into the ocean. Or better yet, reverse dunk them into one of their volcanoes.

there is always micro nations. such as sealand. which I believe offered tpb a place for its "Storage" or something to that effect.

now on the topic of stealing.

don't be stupid its not stealing its copyright infringement.
Random McNally
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#13 - 2013-04-29 11:17:51 UTC
Marlona Sky wrote:

And yet you play EVE. There is irony here, somewhere.

Host of High Drag Podcast. http://highdrag.wordpress.com/

Space music http://minddivided.com

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#14 - 2013-04-29 11:57:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Akita T
Marlona Sky wrote:

Copyright infringement through file sharing is not theft. It's simply copyright infringement, no more, no less.
Still illegal in most cases in most places, but it's certainly not "stealing".
And given the way publishing houses keep shoving substandard content out at a premium price point, increasingly closer to borderline morally (not legally) justifiable, at least in some particular cases.

Now, if only so-called "pirates" would just mutually agree to NOT release anything at all for a couple of weeks or even months since first official release, that would be nice. Most of the actual sales would have already happened by then, so the negative impact (which was sort of minimal already) would be even more negligible.

Side-note, I'd totally "download" a pizza, a purse, a car, or just about anything else IF it was possible to do so at minimal cost and without taking away an existing one from somebody else, especially if I couldn't afford one otherwise and would just struggle to do without normally (or maybe short-term rent one instead, for non-food items). That, or buy a (non-food) second-hand product at a radically lower price later on, when I could afford it.
By the way, that second-hand thing, the content publishers would very much like that to also be considered "stealing", and in fact, it's just ever so slightly below in their hate-and-combat list of things.
Would YOU consider reselling the game/movies/music you purchased to be illegal ?

That being said, content producers should just suck it up already and accept "sharing" of standalone content is here to stay no matter what they try to do, and in fact, in most cases, it actually HELPS rather than hurts them (at least if the content is any good to begin with).
Instead of trying to combat and demonize the practice, they should take hints from it and capitalize on the trend.
Give people a completely free taste (limited time trial of full experience), even a mostly complete yet barebones offline experience at a minimal price (or even free), and afterwards, profit from long-term small-recurring-cost fees for access to online-only meaty content and/or multiplayer experience, either through a subscription, microtransactions, or a combination of both.
Also, the price points should be REGIONAL, depending on the user country's average wages.

Is that the best way to do it ? Probably not, in an ideal world. In the real world, however, probably the fairest overall way.
Obviously, it's not really going to happen on a massive scale any time soon, because the publishers are dinosaurs with a reaction time measured in decades.

Of course, that requires your product to be at least of a decent quality, or else people will mostly just leave after the "free sample".
Problem is, most of the time, the content actually sucks.
And they expect you to want to still pay full price for it, you dirty thief, you.

Anyway, take me, for instance. Once upon a time, as a teenager (when you couldn't "legally" get the games even if you wanted to in my country) , I was an avid "sharer", and I did end up (much later on) buying some of the games I really liked (if I wouldn't have played them first, I would NOT have spent the money on them, and that's a certainty, not a possibility).
Most of the games I did get back in that day would have been played for minutes (not even a lot of minutes), then tossed aside, never to be revisited again. There's probably about 20 games tops that occupied the bulk of my teenage and young adult age's play time.
However, nowadays, I can almost count the games I've played lately on my fingers, and a huge percentage of them still barely played at all. Most of the ones I actually did play for a while were free online games to begin with (and EVE, which would have represented the bulk of the cash investment if I would not have used PLEX purchased with ISK most of the time). My spendings on games has been minimal in the past decade.
I didn't even bother to "illegally download" the games that came out in the relatively recent past, since I would NOT LIKE to have to play them myself. That's how much I think of the industry at large.
I just watch "let's play" videos on youtube and fast-forward to the places that look interesting.
And of the games I've actually played a bit eventually (some of which were not purchased, but not "illegally downloaded" either), IF I would have purchased them all on day one at full initial retail price, I would have mostly ended up regretting it as a "waste of money" given the amount of time I ended up using them for, with very few exceptions.

So tell me, how exactly would you, as a publisher, turn me into an early-days game purchaser, even if downloading was not an option (either because it couldn't be done, or because I would choose not to do it, doesn't really matter which) ?
Would you remove all the "let's play" youtube vids so I couldn't see what the game is about without buying it ? By the way, that's a thing publishers tried to do (and some still try to do). If anything, that would just make me not even bother at all anymore with that game, since simple logic tells me it's not worth it.
If I couldn't get the drastically reduced price games that come with second-hand sales, discounts, or even the "free" experience of playing a game that another person owns while either at their house or the game disk on loan to me, I'd simply go without those games altogether too. There's other, cheaper and better ways to get entertainment.
Either way, the publisher would see a negligible amount of cash from me, even with me not breaking any bits of any laws that exist.
It's their choice on whether they want to get LESS than they initially asked, or none at all.
Most games people actually pay huge total amounts of cash for nowadays, you'd actually have to PAY ME to want to play them anyway.