These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Wormholes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Sweet, no more grav sites!

Author
Messoroz
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#21 - 2013-04-27 22:17:12 UTC
George Boothe wrote:
Are you sure that the onboard scanner also indicated whether there are sigs and where they are? All i could see from the presentations was that it showed anoms.

CCP stated that the grav site concept is being nixed entirely. Unless they keep gravs just for wspace.
Phaderift
Girls Lie But Zkill Doesn't
Pandemic Legion
#22 - 2013-04-27 23:07:03 UTC
Messoroz wrote:
George Boothe wrote:
Are you sure that the onboard scanner also indicated whether there are sigs and where they are? All i could see from the presentations was that it showed anoms.

CCP stated that the grav site concept is being nixed entirely. Unless they keep gravs just for wspace.

was confirmed in the exploration round table grav sites are gone period. even in WH space. said if any group could adapt to this it would be us
Frying Doom
#23 - 2013-04-27 23:23:49 UTC
Phaderift wrote:
Messoroz wrote:
George Boothe wrote:

was confirmed in the exploration round table grav sites are gone period. even in WH space. said if any group could adapt to this it would be us

I am choosing to adapt by getting the **** out.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Angsty Teenager
Broski North
#24 - 2013-04-28 00:30:25 UTC
Why so much whining?

You can't handle having one deep space probe out watching for new sigs while you mine? At least you can just warp off in a hulk or w/e. Can't do that in a combat site....
Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#25 - 2013-04-28 01:01:49 UTC
Angsty Teenager wrote:
Why so much whining?

You can't handle having one deep space probe out watching for new sigs while you mine? At least you can just warp off in a hulk or w/e. Can't do that in a combat site....

Are there really that many WH miners?
Frying Doom
#26 - 2013-04-28 01:21:21 UTC
Angsty Teenager wrote:
Why so much whining?

Yes I could do that, but if anyone in my WH opens the static, Im stuffed.

What about people in the C2 I was in yesterday, they had 4 k162s.

The risk does not equal the reward from mining, and C1-C4s do not have enough to support many people without mining.

Anyway I realized that if I go back to 1 account, I have enough isk that I don't need to pay for my account for years.Smile

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Angsty Teenager
Broski North
#27 - 2013-04-28 01:48:22 UTC
Derath Ellecon wrote:

Are there really that many WH miners?

No idea.

Frying Doom wrote:

Yes I could do that, but if anyone in my WH opens the static, Im stuffed.

What about people in the C2 I was in yesterday, they had 4 k162s.

The risk does not equal the reward from mining, and C1-C4s do not have enough to support many people without mining.

Anyway I realized that if I go back to 1 account, I have enough isk that I don't need to pay for my account for years.Smile

Don't open your static then? Collapse your K162's and your static, don't warp to the new one. WH is completely closed off until a new K162 opens into your system, at which point your warp off your miners, collapse the new hole and get on with your business. Seems pretty risk free to me.

If you don't think C1-C4's are making you enough isk, move to a C5? God knows there are a ton of empty ones...
Bloody Wench
#28 - 2013-04-28 06:59:15 UTC
Haulie Berry wrote:
Quote:
We will also be making a significant change to the way hidden asteroid belts will be found by players. We are phasing out the Gravimetric signature category, and instead pilots will be able to find all Ore Sites using their ship’s built-in anomaly scanning equipment. This change will make finding hidden belts much less difficult for both miners and for those who would prey on them, so pilots are always advised to practice vigilance.

Now I can just roll up on WH miners without ever dropping cloak. Lol

On the other hand, it now means I only have to despawn Ladars to unclutter my system.
Which is what I thought you were going to say from the title...

[u]**Shepard Wong Ogeko wrote: **[/u]  CCP should not only make local delayed in highsec, but they should also require one be undocked to use it. Then, even the local spammers have some skin in the game. Support a High Resolution Texture Pack

Josilin du Guesclin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2013-04-28 08:24:32 UTC
I much prefer:
Angsty Teenager wrote:

Don't open your static then? Collapse your K162's and your static, don't warp to the new one. WH is completely closed off until a new K162 opens into your system, at which point your warp off your miners....

...hunt down and kill the interlopers....
Quote:

...collapse the new hole and get on with your business.

If you must have open holes, put some alts in cloakys on them. Ventures with a cloak will do, hardly expensive. Most of EVE seems to have a tons of alts, after all.

Frying Doom
#30 - 2013-04-28 08:35:00 UTC
Josilin du Guesclin wrote:
I
Quote:

...collapse the new hole and get on with your business.

If you must have open holes, put some alts in cloakys on them. Ventures with a cloak will do, hardly expensive. Most of EVE seems to have a tons of alts, after all.

Rather the point actually.

I realised I pay for 5 accounts but I don't get five times the fun. Not being able to do as I prefer with reasonable risk vs reward, I am closing 4 of my accounts and doing something less rewarding isk wise but still entertaining (though not as much fun as WH mining was). Also enabling me to sell of a whole pile of stuff and plex my one remaining account for years.

Xen Solarus
Furious Destruction and Salvage
#31 - 2013-04-28 09:53:47 UTC
Chris Winter wrote:
As someone who occasionally kills miners in w-space, I fully support this change and it will make the hunt easier, since they won't even know I'm coming until they're already pointed even if they're hitting dscan every few seconds.

As someone who occasionally mines in w-space, this change will turn me into someone who never mines in w-space. Sure, "use scouts" is fine and dandy for people in higher class WHs with large corps, but for solo/(very) small groups in the lower classes of wormholes, this may very well make mining too risky to be worth it.

This pretty much sums it up to me. If you're in a large wormhole corp/alliance that already has to PvP regularly to defend your space, then nothing much has changed. For us small corps, wormhole mining is now dangerous to the extreme. I certainly won't be doing it after the changes! Like it was already mentioned, even Dscanning constantly and watching entrances isn't currently a certain way to stay safe. After these changes, its going to be ridiculously easy for pirates.

Post with your main, like a BOSS!

And no, i don't live in highsec.  As if that would make your opinion any less wrong.  

Phaderift
Pandemic Legion
#32 - 2013-04-28 10:56:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Phaderift
Xen Solarus wrote:
Chris Winter wrote:
As someone who occasionally kills miners in w-space, I fully support this change and it will make the hunt easier, since they won't even know I'm coming until they're already pointed even if they're hitting dscan every few seconds.

As someone who occasionally mines in w-space, this change will turn me into someone who never mines in w-space. Sure, "use scouts" is fine and dandy for people in higher class WHs with large corps, but for solo/(very) small groups in the lower classes of wormholes, this may very well make mining too risky to be worth it.

This pretty much sums it up to me. If you're in a large wormhole corp/alliance that already has to PvP regularly to defend your space, then nothing much has changed. For us small corps, wormhole mining is now dangerous to the extreme. I certainly won't be doing it after the changes! Like it was already mentioned, even Dscanning constantly and watching entrances isn't currently a certain way to stay safe. After these changes, its going to be ridiculously easy for pirates.

those who kill miners in W space are not pirates .. Also a point that you guys seem to be missing is the new discovery scanner will also show the sigs of non anoms. so you will get a general idea of what is there.. you will also be able to see new sigs with it. So if you kept a scout on your own static or kept your static closed you will see k162s as the appear and be able to just warp off and look at what might of happened. all these people who think this will change much for the competent miners in W space are kidding themselves, the only people who this will effect are the ones who were already dumb enough to get caught. I am really surprised the fact that u can now launch 7 probes at once has not caused more people to complain then this whole is now an anom thing .. cause were before if i bear was in a scan down site or safe they have about 10 seconds for me to drop 7 probes get them off dscan and recloak now its down to like 3 or less, so the window for you to see the cloaky hunter on dscan is now down to less then 1/3 of what it used to be. For the record i love the 7 probe change
Frying Doom
#33 - 2013-04-28 11:04:30 UTC
Phaderift wrote:

those who kill miners in W space are not pirates .. Also a point that you guys seem to be missing is the new discovery scanner will also show the sigs of non anoms. so you will get a general idea of what is there.. you will also be able to see new sigs with it. So if you kept a scout on your own static or kept your static closed you will see k162s as the appear and be able to just warp off and look at what might of happened. all these people who think this will change much for the competent miners in W space are kidding themselves, the only people who this will effect are the ones who were already dumb enough to get caught. I am really surprised the fact that u can now launch 7 probes at once has not caused more people to complain then this whole is now an anom thing .. cause were before if i bear was in a scan down site or safe they have about 10 seconds for me to drop 7 probes get them off dscan and recloak now its down to like 3 or less, so the window for you to see the cloaky hunter on dscan is now down to less then 1/3 of what it used to be. For the record i love the 7 probe change

So you mine your way, with the new system and I will enjoy getting the **** out. Lol

George Boothe
Blootered Bastards
#34 - 2013-04-28 11:14:02 UTC
Phaderift wrote:

[...] Also a point that you guys seem to be missing is the new discovery scanner will also show the sigs of non anoms. so you will get a general idea of what is there.. you will also be able to see new sigs with it.[...]

This is what I was getting at earlier, where do you get this info? All I could see from the preview of the new onboard/discovery scanner, was that it showed anoms, but I did not see any sigs.
Are you 100% sure that it also shows an indication of a new signature that you then need to probe? That would make probing new sigs ******* easy, as you can also immediatly determine at what cluster they spawned.

Gary Bell
Black Dragon PHP
Brave Collective
#35 - 2013-04-28 11:53:58 UTC
Hes dumb.. It does not show new sigs.. It has basically moved gravs into anom type sites and shows anoms.. you will still need to probe to see new sigs.. you will be able to see new grav sites and new anoms thats it..

Learn to read.. k thanks
Anogra
Heisenberg Productions
#36 - 2013-04-28 12:05:46 UTC
actually, he is right. CCP soundwave did a demo here at the fanfest dureing eve keynotes and showed us the new jump tunnel (absolutly ******* awesome), BUT. he aslo showed the onboard scanner, witch showed anoms as green, and sigs as red.
to quote him after he did that scan "now im going to spawn a site, coz nobody wants to see me use hours to scan down that sig" (he was demonstrating the new hacking sig).

Anogra
Mr Floydy
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#37 - 2013-04-28 12:22:57 UTC
Surely the amount of quality ore might also change to make it worth the risk? I don't recall any of the fanfest presentations commenting on that.
Could you not in most cases align and warp out when an enemy decloaks? I'm not aware of the align time of the various barges but I've seen people do that in combat anoms before I can get a lock. *shrugs*

I'd say grav sites were too safe previously, I don't want to see semi afk mining as viable.
Frying Doom
#38 - 2013-04-28 12:32:56 UTC
Mr Floydy wrote:
Surely the amount of quality ore might also change to make it worth the risk? I don't recall any of the fanfest presentations commenting on that.
Could you not in most cases align and warp out when an enemy decloaks? I'm not aware of the align time of the various barges but I've seen people do that in combat anoms before I can get a lock. *shrugs*

I'd say grav sites were too safe previously, I don't want to see semi afk mining as viable.

Clicking Dscan every 30 seconds was hardly afk mining.

Now it is just too unsafe to be worth the trouble especially when you add on the logistical head ache.

Oh and as to warping out, when someone decloaks, not a hope in hell unless you have another ship webbing you.

Miles Parabellum
Core Collapse Inc
#39 - 2013-04-28 14:01:28 UTC
Hm..
Taking out some of the challenge of the hunt will not please Bob.
Phaderift
Pandemic Legion
#40 - 2013-04-28 14:06:11 UTC
Gary Bell wrote:
Hes dumb.. It does not show new sigs.. It has basically moved gravs into anom type sites and shows anoms.. you will still need to probe to see new sigs.. you will be able to see new grav sites and new anoms thats it..

Learn to read.. k thanks

it was shown in the keynotes and later shown at the exploration round table. Sig show up as orange and red on the discovery scanner :) another fun thing to note is how true sec will take effect .. WHs are all true sec -1 which will result in the 5% and 10% bonus asteroids spawning in the sites. So they kinda did increase the reward for the increased risk in Wh space. but yeah .. I'm dumb for you know listening and going to the round tables on these things