These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Cloaky Rebalance

First post
Author
comander klieve
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-04-27 21:29:09 UTC
Not sure if this is the right place to put this but meh.

As a 0.0 player I am used to having raiding parties etc come through our space to disrupt us and loose us iskies...back in the day it was a fair fight and a defense fleet could be formed. now days with cloaky t3's and black ops gangs that just appear after a neut or red has been in local for 6 hours (probable afk). this causes fear to prevent anyone from mining, ratting or doing anything to make money.

There is no counter to this other than to wait, bait and take a massive risk as there is never any intel on what gang floats on the other side of that cyno.

My suggestion is simple. People in alliance chat keep saying that a cloak is unbalanced, and that you should be able to detect it. I disagree as detecting cloaks defeats the purpose. What I suggest is that the cloak require a small amount of fuel, just enough to make it harder to float afk cloaked in a system.

Just a basic idea...thoughts?
Drunken Bum
#2 - 2013-04-27 21:30:25 UTC
Seriously. Fresh strawberry and peanut butter smoothie. Its like drinking a peanut butter and jam sammich.

After the patch we're giving the market some gentle supply restriction, like tying one wrist to the bedpost loosely with soft silk rope. Just enough to make things a bit more exciting for the market, not enough to make a safeword necessary.  -Fozzie

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#3 - 2013-04-27 21:32:17 UTC
Cloaks are balanced by local. Want to change cloaks? Then change local.
Transmaritanus
Exergy.
#4 - 2013-04-27 21:34:51 UTC
I guess you should just you know, learn how to pvp instead of being a scrub?
Lady Areola Fappington
#5 - 2013-04-27 21:35:59 UTC
Thread # 1455532345 on "Cloak is OP nerf cloak!"

If you can't deal with the psychological pressure of having a cloaked ship in your system, you don't deserve to use dat nullsec system.

A cloaked ship cannot directly harm you. Get some buddies together and prep a counterdrop.

7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided. --Eve New Player Guide

Beekeeper Bob
Beekeepers Anonymous
#6 - 2013-04-27 21:38:34 UTC
I for one salute CCP for this groundbreaking emergent business plan, they get people to log in, sit afk using minimal system resources, and pay for a sub....Lol

Well played CCP, well played.....Cool

Signature removed - CCP Eterne

comander klieve
State War Academy
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-04-27 22:13:27 UTC
Not saying we can't deal with it, just saying that as a possible balance a fuel addition to a cloak might be good idea. We can counter it by forming a gang and baiting, usually waiting a long time if he is afk.

I just believe it gives the cloaky an unbalanced advantage.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#8 - 2013-04-27 22:20:46 UTC
comander klieve wrote:
Not saying we can't deal with it, just saying that as a possible balance a fuel addition to a cloak might be good idea. We can counter it by forming a gang and baiting, usually waiting a long time if he is afk.

How?

It literally cant do anything to hurt you while cloaked.
PotatoOverdose
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#9 - 2013-04-27 22:21:40 UTC
How about we just make cloaking for longer than say 5 minutes remove the cloaker from local?

No one will ever complain about afk cloakers again.
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#10 - 2013-04-27 22:21:42 UTC
OP makes me want to take a cloaky and go to null sec just to sit afk in local all day.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Skorpynekomimi
#11 - 2013-04-27 22:25:25 UTC
Defend your space better against the inevitable hotdrops, then?

Black ops gangs use a lot of expensive T2 ships. Keep scanning, and if local spikes, scan some more and try to catch them between arrival and cloaking up. Any loss inflicted on them can be painful.

They have to get the cyno ship in somehow. Step up your gatecamps.

Pro-active raids. Hit your neighbours before they hit you. Mount your own black ops raids; lurk cloaked in their system for hours until they're all asleep, then cyno more pilots in and log them off in safespots. When they start to log in to run anomalies, rat, and (after the update) mine, log everyone in, cyno in some more, and blow them up. Stealth bomber dat mining op. Pop a regular cyno and bridge in a HIC to tackle that ratting carrier. Reinforce a PoS or two overnight, or just fly around shooting at everything so they get spammed with alerts.

Economic PVP

Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#12 - 2013-04-27 22:46:47 UTC
comander klieve wrote:

Yea cause the fuel idea has NEVER come up either.
Annie Anomie
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2013-04-27 22:50:56 UTC
/me sits in thread cloaked.

OP's alliance should suck less at holding space.
Some Rando
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2013-04-27 22:51:21 UTC
This is exciting, fresh content, OP.

CCP has no sense of humour.

Octoven
Stellar Production
#15 - 2013-04-27 23:04:24 UTC
Cloaked ships have absolutely 0 combat edge on you except for when they decloak next to you and jam you...still they have to decloak and thus they arent cloaked when they do it lol PLUS cloaky ships are so much easier to take down then non cloaked ships. Manticores are tin foil. Widows have their issues compared to T1 BSes. The point is they are balanced. What you suggest is making the ship be penalized for doing something it was designed to do.

I should note that webbing freighters for insta warp was never intended as original game design either but it works...and ccp didnt think anyone would set up POSes in wormholes but they have. This style of game play is what eve thrives on, to say something is broke because you dont know how to confront it is just plain stupid. Absolutely no, leave cloaking the way it is.
Annie Anomie
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2013-04-27 23:04:33 UTC
comander klieve wrote:

"waaaaah why aren't I safe in nullsec?"
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2013-04-27 23:07:47 UTC
Annie Anomie wrote:
comander klieve wrote:

"waaaaah why aren't I safe in nullsec?"

Don't panic, I'll call the waaaaahmbulance!

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#18 - 2013-04-27 23:18:22 UTC
The OPs ideas are new and refreshing.

But...I'll just leave this here:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=216699&find=unread

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Generals4
#19 - 2013-04-27 23:26:50 UTC
Cloakies need to be fixed as much as suicide ganking needs to be fixed. In other words: not.

_-Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily. _

Litair
Nleesh
#20 - 2013-04-27 23:29:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Litair
Yeah cloaked ships can in some rare situations be a hazard to you, such as if appearing in a group of 10 or tackling you for a larger gang or fleet.. But that's really the only advantage they have as well. It would be like taking the speed away from interceptors because it's annoying they can close in so fast.

But as for the fuel suggestion in particular.. I wouldn't really care so much, as I usually don't afk in space for prolonged periods of time anyways. Would just be annoying if it's a physical item to fill up your cargo hold.
123Next page