These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

RIP hisec mining, it was fun while it lasted.

First post
Author
Basil Pupkin
Republic Military School
#141 - 2013-04-27 19:36:14 UTC
Darth Gustav wrote:
So is the rest of Eve.

Except hisec miners. But who cares about those, right?
They should just die...

Being teh freightergankbear automatically puts you below missionbear and minerbear in carebear hierarchy.

If you're about to make "this will make eve un-eve" argument, odds are you are defending some utterly horrible mechanics against a good change.

Velicitia
XS Tech
#142 - 2013-04-27 19:40:53 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Darth Gustav wrote:
So is the rest of Eve.

They should just die...

Reward in hisec has been skewed "too high" for a long time.

I remember living near a lowsec because it was better to mine there (for the Jaspet, I think), even with the risks. Granted, rocks respawned twice a week, and lowsec had MASSIVE rocks because it was under-mined...

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Dave Stark
#143 - 2013-04-27 19:41:27 UTC
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Darth Gustav wrote:
So is the rest of Eve.

They should just die...

fact; miners don't care how much things cost. our purchasing power is pretty much constant.
Nathalie LaPorte
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#144 - 2013-04-27 19:42:43 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

some body in null sec is mining them, or the industry index of the system would decay and they'd have no grav sites to mine in.
trust me, asteroids aren't just "left there".

They cycle the large to get at the ark, Kern, Hs, etc. That is enough to keep industry up. A lot of the B and C in the other clusters are left to pop on auto recycle.

Again, the beauty is, we'll see.

no it isn't.

6m m3 per day to keep an index of 3.
over 4 days, that's 24m m3

the sum total of small, med, and large grav sites is... 23940050

as we can see. you're a liar because you're already running a deficit before we remove the BC ores from the calculation.

please, stop lying or stop posting. i don't mind which.

He's not lying, as he did say that they cycle the large site repeatedly; he's just not seeing/admitting that running the large repeatedly means that cherry-picking the small and medium once per day isn't very significant in comparison to the large being done fully multiple times per day; and I'm not convinced that this cherry picking he describes occurs in every single industry-upgraded null system, either.
Darth Gustav
Sith Interstellar Tech Harvesting
#145 - 2013-04-27 19:43:17 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Darth Gustav wrote:
So is the rest of Eve.

They should just die...

fact; miners don't care how much things cost. our purchasing power is pretty much constant.

I have been reminded this over and over.

Thanks for not abandonning the premise.

He who trolls trolls best when he who is trolled trolls the troller. -Darth Gustav's Axiom

Dave Stark
#146 - 2013-04-27 19:45:32 UTC
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

some body in null sec is mining them, or the industry index of the system would decay and they'd have no grav sites to mine in.
trust me, asteroids aren't just "left there".

They cycle the large to get at the ark, Kern, Hs, etc. That is enough to keep industry up. A lot of the B and C in the other clusters are left to pop on auto recycle.

Again, the beauty is, we'll see.

no it isn't.

6m m3 per day to keep an index of 3.
over 4 days, that's 24m m3

the sum total of small, med, and large grav sites is... 23940050

as we can see. you're a liar because you're already running a deficit before we remove the BC ores from the calculation.

please, stop lying or stop posting. i don't mind which.

He's not lying, as he did say that they cycle the large site repeatedly; he's just not seeing/admitting that running the large repeatedly means that cherry-picking the small and medium once per day isn't very significant in comparison to the large being done fully multiple times per day; and I'm not convinced that this cherry picking he describes occurs in every single industry-upgraded null system, either.

then he's lying that that they leave the BC hanging then, because to cycle it you have to mine the B and C ores.

this guy chronically posts misinformation or whines, he's the only person on the forums who i'd gladly not miss if he was forum banned or worse.
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#147 - 2013-04-27 19:57:41 UTC
Darth Gustav wrote:
At the end of the day my Alliance-built or Alliance-bought Abaddon will be cheaper because of increased availability of Tritanium and Pyerite. Since its bill of materials isn't being adjusted (AFAIK), my alliance is better off for these changes.

Well in this case you are mining, building, and selling all within the same organization you don't actually have to care about cost of anything. Think of it like a planned economy. You just mine the minerals, build the ships, and sell it at a way lower price than whatever the real market was asking for sole benefit of maximizing output. Profits be damned.

There isn't anything wrong with that, but it does reduce player interaction beyond the scope of the alliance making each alliance its own North Korea, where the Juche principal is used to produce everything internally.

It just provides market isolationism and less player co-operation and logistics other than interal alliance politics.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Darth Gustav
#148 - 2013-04-27 20:11:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Darth Gustav
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Darth Gustav wrote:
At the end of the day my Alliance-built or Alliance-bought Abaddon will be cheaper because of increased availability of Tritanium and Pyerite. Since its bill of materials isn't being adjusted (AFAIK), my alliance is better off for these changes.

Well in this case you are mining, building, and selling all within the same organization you don't actually have to care about cost of anything. Think of it like a planned economy. You just mine the minerals, build the ships, and sell it at a way lower price than whatever the real market was asking for sole benefit of maximizing output. Profits be damned.

There isn't anything wrong with that, but it does reduce player interaction beyond the scope of the alliance making each alliance its own North Korea, where the Juche principal is used to produce everything internally.

It just provides market isolationism and less player co-operation and logistics other than interal alliance politics.

They're not always built by the alliance, hence "or Alliance-bought."

This is a case where you want to say it's free because we mined it. That's not the case at all. It's not a planned economy, it's one based out of incentive and participation. It's a consumer-based economy.

When we buy Abaddons in high-sec (or guns to ship out to null to melt into Abaddons), we're interacting with high-sec. When the guns we buy are cheaper, the ships we make from them will be too. That's participatory consumer economics.

That pretty much shoots down all of your points.

He who trolls trolls best when he who is trolled trolls the troller. -Darth Gustav's Axiom

Dave Stark
#149 - 2013-04-27 20:12:56 UTC
Darth Gustav wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Darth Gustav wrote:
So is the rest of Eve.

They should just die...

i'm never sure if you're agreeing with me or mocking me.
Darth Gustav
#150 - 2013-04-27 20:13:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Darth Gustav
Dave Stark wrote:
Darth Gustav wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
Basil Pupkin wrote:
Darth Gustav wrote:
So is the rest of Eve.

They should just die...

i'm never sure if you're agreeing with me or mocking me.

I'm mostly agreeing with you.

Except for the items where miners have to compete with people earning ISK from a direct injection, such as ratting.

In those cases however, I mock you.

+1 nonetheless, good sir.

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#151 - 2013-04-27 20:20:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Captain Tardbar
Darth Gustav wrote:
They're not always built by the alliance, hence "or Alliance-bought."

This is a case where you want to say it's free because we mined it. That's not the case at all. It's not a planned economy, it's one based out of incentive and participation. It's a consumer-based economy.

When we buy Abaddons in high-sec (or guns to ship out to null to melt into Abaddons), we're interacting with high-sec. When the guns we buy are cheaper, the ships we make from them will be too. That's participatory consumer economics.

That pretty much shoots down all of your points.

Well if you are buying it from h-sec and hi-sec can only produce X amount of minerals, then shouldn't the prices remain the same. I mean hi-sec isn't getting a mineral buff, null-sec is. It is highly unlikley that null-sec is going to export their minerals to hi-sec as they claim to need it all. And its unlikley those null-sec alliances are going to manufacture goods in null and ship them to high either.

So if hi-sec doesn't get a boost of minerals, then won't the prices remain the same. There are course null sec alliances producing items in house (which I mentioned before) and selling it themselves at low prices because they like each other in the alliance.

But if you aren't doing that to buy your goods and still buy from hi-sec, then obviously you aren't mining your own minerals, then why would hi-sec mineral drop in prices by your agument?

Unless null exports its wealth to high, then its not going to happen.

If it keeps its wealth and makes my own goods, then yes, they are playing North Korea like I mentioned.

Unless, Null is going to export to hi and then complain about hi-sec industrialists making all the profits.

Notice my refutation isn't so personal.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Hae Sung
#152 - 2013-04-27 21:06:54 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Well if you are buying it from h-sec and hi-sec can only produce X amount of minerals, then shouldn't the prices remain the same.

A couple of points:

1. Not all of the minerals in hisec are mined every day. Supply from just the low end belts in high security space has a ways to go until we reach a point where highsec is producing all that it can and supply cannot adjust to meet changing demand. I manage regularly to mine roughly 700m worth of low ends in a day 1 jump from a trade hub. 3 and 4 jumps away are systems with 10-15 belts that are barely touched as a matter of course.

2. For every unit of low ends that don't need to be mined in null, that's a corresponding unit that won't need to be purchased, compressed, and shipped out to null to be remelted down to feed the war forges. As Dave Stark and others have already pointed out in this thread, if a system is already mining out their hidden belts to force respawn, this will just mean a steady supply of some of the low ends that they will need to feed production locally. This will lower demand somewhat in highsec trade hubs that see a large amount of mineral compression and shipping.

Overall I foresee a slight drop in a couple of low ends, but nothing approximating an apocolyptic shift in the mineral landscape. As a person who focuses primarily on industry this mainly says to me that I can mine most of what I need now in null and has me actively looking as of yesterday's keynote speech for decent fits for my industry characters. Giving people a reason to be in null and out of highsec while not gutting highsec completely seems like a win-win in my book.
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#153 - 2013-04-27 21:20:21 UTC
Hae Sung wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Well if you are buying it from h-sec and hi-sec can only produce X amount of minerals, then shouldn't the prices remain the same.

A couple of points:

1. Not all of the minerals in hisec are mined every day. Supply from just the low end belts in high security space has a ways to go until we reach a point where highsec is producing all that it can and supply cannot adjust to meet changing demand. I manage regularly to mine roughly 700m worth of low ends in a day 1 jump from a trade hub. 3 and 4 jumps away are systems with 10-15 belts that are barely touched as a matter of course.

2. For every unit of low ends that don't need to be mined in null, that's a corresponding unit that won't need to be purchased, compressed, and shipped out to null to be remelted down to feed the war forges. As Dave Stark and others have already pointed out in this thread, if a system is already mining out their hidden belts to force respawn, this will just mean a steady supply of some of the low ends that they will need to feed production locally. This will lower demand somewhat in highsec trade hubs that see a large amount of mineral compression and shipping.

Overall I foresee a slight drop in a couple of low ends, but nothing approximating an apocolyptic shift in the mineral landscape. As a person who focuses primarily on industry this mainly says to me that I can mine most of what I need now in null and has me actively looking as of yesterday's keynote speech for decent fits for my industry characters. Giving people a reason to be in null and out of highsec while not gutting highsec completely seems like a win-win in my book.

*does a Philip J Fry squint*

Can't tell if this an agreement or a round about way of telling me otherwise.

Yeah, if null still has to buy from hi-sec it means hi-sec minerals are still in demand so therefore will not drop in large price amounts.

If the alternative is true, and that Null is mining, manufacturing, and selling items to themselves it still proves my point as they aren't involved with high-sec anymores.

LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#154 - 2013-04-27 21:30:57 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
then he's lying that that they leave the BC hanging then, because to cycle it you have to mine the B and C ores.

this guy chronically posts misinformation or whines, he's the only person on the forums who i'd gladly not miss if he was forum banned or worse.

Perhaps if you actually read what I wrote, you'd understand what I'm saying.

1) I'm a high sec carebear. I'm telling you from past experience when I lived in null, and what friends tell me now.

2) they have system upgraded to 5. They cherry pick out the small, medium, extra large, and giant. They prioritize Ark, mexallon (Plag, Kern, Pyrox), the H rocks, veld/scord. Sometimes they take the B and C from those belts, sometimes not.

Then, they cycle the large several times a day.

3) To maintain industry 5, they have to mine 12 million M3 a day. The large is 5.4 million m3. cycling it 2-3 times a day is sufficient to maintain industry 5.

4) I never said they cherry pick the large. They cherry pick the other 4, and cycle the large.

Dave Stark
#155 - 2013-04-27 21:41:37 UTC
LHA Tarawa wrote:

LHA Tarawa wrote:
as null miners start going after the B and C they currently leave sit now

i did read what you wrote, but frankly your english is lacking and i had to guess at what you meant.
LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#156 - 2013-04-27 22:23:51 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
LHA Tarawa wrote:

LHA Tarawa wrote:

i did read what you wrote, but frankly your english is lacking and i had to guess at what you meant.

I don't understand what you are having problems understanding.

Dominion made it possible to cycle null clusters. The result was to push the isk/hr of high end minerals down to the profitability of high. Once B and C profitability was on par with high end ores, null miners started focusing more on "what they need" rather than the race to cherry pick the ABCs.

B and C became no more profitable, but less needed than, say the trit/pyr/mex. As a result, they became pretty low on the cherry picking priority list. Null sec miners, in at least some locations, cherry pick the non-large clusters, and then cycle just the large. The large has a good Ark/mexallon ratio... the profit and needs that they use to make the decisions.

As a result of not being more profitable, and not providing minerals that are the null bottlenecks, they let a lot of B and C go unmined in the non-large clusters.

NOW, with B and C providing trit and pyrite (needed for bottlenecks), I suspect that they will no longer be left behind. The result would be, I suspect, crashing prices of high end ores, as they become the left-over by product of null trit and pyrite mining.

Dave Stark
#157 - 2013-04-27 22:31:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Dave Stark
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
LHA Tarawa wrote:

LHA Tarawa wrote:

I don't understand what you are having problems understanding.

Dominion made it possible to cycle null clusters. The result was to push the isk/hr of high end minerals down to the profitability of high. Once B and C profitability was on par with high end ores, null miners started focusing more on "what they need" rather than the race to cherry pick the ABCs.

B and C became no more profitable, but less needed than, say the trit/pyr/mex. As a result, they became pretty low on the cherry picking priority list. Null sec miners, in at least some locations, cherry pick the non-large clusters, and then cycle just the large. The large has a good Ark/mexallon ratio... the profit and needs that they use to make the decisions.

As a result of not being more profitable, and not providing minerals that are the null bottlenecks, they let a lot of B and C go unmined in the non-large clusters.

NOW, with B and C providing trit and pyrite (needed for bottlenecks), I suspect that they will no longer be left behind. The result would be, I suspect, crashing prices of high end ores, as they become the left-over by product of null trit and pyrite mining.

right i see, if you had actually formed a coherent sentence to begin with, we could have avoided this.

and no, cherry picking different asteroids from non-large grav sites won't really impact the market. any market impact will be due to the cycling of the large grav sites. the volume of ore per 4 days from other grav sites just isn't significant enough to make a noticable impact.
Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#158 - 2013-04-27 22:31:26 UTC
Now I need popcorn for both the skill and mining changes.

This cannot end well. I'll be short on popcorn. Really CCP, what do you think you're doing? Twisted

Remove standings and insurance.

Kharamete
Royal Assent
#159 - 2013-04-27 22:59:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Kharamete
If the OP would just calm down a bit and think about it, he will understand that what CCP is doing is restricting supply of ice. Ice mining changes is a buff, not a nerf. The ore component of the changes will be kind of insignificant due to the bulk of the ore. So, I look at ice only. It will have an impact. The ore changes will likely not have such an impact.

That supply is provided in large part by high-sec today. There are vast networks of POS:es in null, all those Tech-moon mining poses for instance, that require a constant supply of fuel. In addition the whole of the cap ship fleets depend on ice products that are imported from high sec today, and which will be imported from high sec in two months time still - except at a higher price.

The pressure on High Sec ice will continue to be high. Except now there is a restricted supply. Prices will go up and up and up. There won't be that many more ice-miners in null-sec either if you think about what is also coming; the change to how the ice belts are placed coupled with the change to 'warp to zero on ice miners'. CCP has just given a new method to screw with alliances. If their ice systems are camped, they won't mine.

If they are desensitised to afk cloakers in the minings systems and start to mine, they will die horribly. If I wanted to shut an alliance down, I would certainly perma cloak in their ice systems and have black ops ships on standby. This time the afk cloaking wouldn't just deny individual members isk, it would also be a strategic warfare thing to deny the target alliance their capital ship fuel and their POS fuel. Oh yes. To prevent this, many members would be tied down in watching over the miners. There are so many sweet things going that I'm dizzy.

So, this is why high sec will still supply the vast bulk of ice. But at a much higher price. So, it is a buff. Not a nerf. And if you would think beyond your immediate agenda, you would see this. It's like always with CCP. Be careful what you ask for, you may very well get it.

Oh, and buy Amarr towers and Amarr caps. There's a pro-market tip for you.

CCP FoxFour: "... the what button... oh god I didn't even know that existed. BRB."

My little youtube videos can be found here

LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#160 - 2013-04-27 23:05:35 UTC
Kharamete wrote:
If the OP would just calm down a bit and think about it, he will understand that what CCP is doing is restricting supply of ice.
Ice mining changes is a buff, not a nerf

But, with half the cycle time, are you sure ice mining in null won't increase to more than fill the gap?