These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Skill Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Odyssey BC skills and the clone upgrade...

First post
Author
Hemp Invader
Inverted Worlds.
#1 - 2013-04-27 07:14:49 UTC
Being in the 100 million SP club and about to receive a 6 million SP boost with Odyssey, i will not get the change to enjoy cruisers or frigates in 0.0.

Switching to an "Upsilon" Clone costs 45 million isk, about 3-4 times the price of a fully fit cruiser or about 9-10 times the price of a fully fit frigate. This is not counting implants and hardwirings. Flying small stuff that pops quickly in 0.0 quickly becomes costly. Why would I fly something that pops fast and stand to potentially lose a clone?

This in my opinion ruins the whole pvp life for old players and encourages them to buddy up and gank without risking a loss. Eve was more fun when i could lose my pod and cruiser and not care.

To bring more context into this...an "Upsilon" clone costs 45 Million isk. UPS indeed.

Other 100M SP dudes, how have you tackled this issue?
Lost True
Perkone
Caldari State
#2 - 2013-04-27 07:23:06 UTC
So you are not switching skills then?

in 2007 i've thought it's a sci-fi simulator, not an "e-sports" game. I'm not a teenager, how would i like it much?

Aquila Shadow
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#3 - 2013-04-27 07:41:30 UTC
You could just pvp in low sec, If you lose a pod there your doing it wrong.

"Let Vigilance Be Your Sword"

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#4 - 2013-04-27 07:42:56 UTC
You being space poor is not a game design issue, it just means that you are bad.

Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#5 - 2013-04-27 07:52:00 UTC
Hemp Invader wrote:
45 million isk, about 3-4 times the price of a fully fit cruiser

OP has never even flown a cruiser.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#6 - 2013-04-27 08:01:33 UTC
Riot Girl wrote:
Hemp Invader wrote:
45 million isk, about 3-4 times the price of a fully fit cruiser

OP has never even flown a cruiser.

Confirming that my standard throwaway PVP Vexor fit is 40m ISK.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Andski
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-04-27 08:14:42 UTC
Then don't upgrade your clone.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

atpc
Lost in Space Inc.
#8 - 2013-04-27 09:26:46 UTC
Hemp Invader wrote:
Being in the 100 million SP club and about to receive a 6 million SP boost with Odyssey, i will not get the change to enjoy cruisers or frigates in 0.0.

Switching to an "Upsilon" Clone costs 45 million isk, about 3-4 times the price of a fully fit cruiser or about 9-10 times the price of a fully fit frigate. This is not counting implants and hardwirings. Flying small stuff that pops quickly in 0.0 quickly becomes costly. Why would I fly something that pops fast and stand to potentially lose a clone?

This in my opinion ruins the whole pvp life for old players and encourages them to buddy up and gank without risking a loss. Eve was more fun when i could lose my pod and cruiser and not care.

To bring more context into this...an "Upsilon" clone costs 45 Million isk. UPS indeed.

You can get 4 fully fit cruisers for 45mil? Tell me this magic please.
Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#9 - 2013-04-27 09:35:18 UTC
If you have 100M SP (and it's your own) and find a 45M clone being a problem then you're obviously doing something wrong.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

mechtech
Ice Liberation Army
#10 - 2013-04-27 09:41:25 UTC
I've tacked the issue by having a 9 figure wallet... I mean, you've been playing 8+ years if you have 100m SP.

But even assuming you have a non-existent wallet, a 100mSP character with an experienced player should be able to make 45m isk in 45 minutes of play. That's not a harsh death penalty, not at all really, especially compared to the earlier days of Eve that a 100m SP character grew up in.
Obunagawe
#11 - 2013-04-27 09:58:36 UTC
mechtech wrote:
I've tacked the issue by having a 9 figure wallet...

that's only 21 deaths in an UPS clone, max.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2013-04-27 10:19:43 UTC
Roime wrote:
You being space poor is not a game design issue, it just means that you are bad.

Regardless of how much isk you actually have, clone costs are pretty poor game design as they're currently implemented.
OP makes a valid point.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Jack Miton
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#13 - 2013-04-27 10:26:27 UTC
look if you want a 10mil sp throwaway pvp alt, it takes 5 months to train one, or much less time to get the isk to buy one.
alternatively, suck it up sunshine.

frankly if you have less than 45mil of implants in, youre doing something not as well as you should be anyway.

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2013-04-27 10:28:32 UTC
None of that precludes clone costs being a bad system.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

ISD Suvetar
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#15 - 2013-04-27 12:41:30 UTC
Moved to a more appropriate forum for this type of question.

[b]ISD Suvetar Captain/Commando Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs) Interstellar Services Department[/b]

Jack Miton
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#16 - 2013-04-27 14:17:58 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
None of that precludes clone costs being a bad system.

it's not a bad system, youre just poor, apparently...

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#17 - 2013-04-27 14:18:42 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Roime wrote:

Regardless of how much isk you actually have, clone costs are pretty poor game design as they're currently implemented.
OP makes a valid point.

You saying it's poor game design doesn't mean anything

Haulie Berry
#18 - 2013-04-27 14:31:19 UTC
Hemp Invader wrote:

By not being space-poor.
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2013-04-27 14:59:20 UTC
if I had 100m sp and lived in null I think 45m for a clone would be the least of my worries
Angelique Duchemin
Team Evil
#20 - 2013-04-27 16:21:30 UTC
Ah the plight of the 100 million SP pilots. Poor folks never catch a break.

The very sun of heaven seemed distorted when viewed through the polarising miasma welling out from this sea-soaked perversion, and twisted menace and suspense lurked leeringly in those crazily elusive angles of carven rock where a second glance shewed concavity after the first shewed convexity.

12Next page