These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Increased opportunities for PvP - Jump drives work only in nulsec

First post
Author
Seranova Farreach
Biomass Negative
#101 - 2013-04-16 10:38:32 UTC
No, would just mean pvpers gankers pies and rival alliances will just go to gate camping low instead of null

[u]___________________ http://i.imgur.com/d9Ee2ik.jpg[/u]

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#102 - 2013-04-16 11:02:56 UTC
Fatbear wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:


And yet, I have never heard freighter escort described as anything other than 'The most boring thing in this entire game' by the people who were around at the time.



You'd still only be hurting people who don't have a highsec-nullsec connection anyway, unless increasing the amounts of neutral and NPC corp freighters getting suicide ganked is really the kind of PVP you were looking for.


And yet, you're commenting authoratively on something you weren't party to. Fact is we've got a game populated by players who know nothing of the 'before times' when titans and bridges didn't exist.

Believe me, it was ALL more fun than it is now.



You and the OP are the only people who I have ever heard claim freighter escort was fun, and I doubt he's ever left highsec. You're both managing to miss the point that the only people this would hurt would be smaller alliances too. And the fact that nullsec literally cannot have the industrial capacity to support itself, nor the lack of lowends out there which only makes it worse. Great for suicide gankers and people who run mining bots, awful for everyone else.
Fatbear
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#103 - 2013-04-16 11:38:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Fatbear
Danika Princip wrote:
And the fact that nullsec literally cannot have the industrial capacity to support itself.


What do you think happened in Eve before jump drives?

Do you honestly believe that nullsec was a non-entity, that wars, fleets, blockades and campaigns simply didn't exist? Do you think players all lived in highsec/lowsec and just went on occasional jollies into null to make sure it's still there?

Perhaps the OP and I are the only ones commenting here that have actually experienced both sides of the argument and can compare the two? Ever considered that? You're making sweeping statements as if they're fact based on.... what exactly? You're quite literally trying to tell me that nullsec would failcascade in on itself without jump freighters & jump bridges, yet I can tell you you're wrong. We got on just fine long before all these ******** gimmicks got put in the game and have slowly but surely put a growing stranglehold on all things PvP.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#104 - 2013-04-16 12:24:41 UTC
Just because something was viable in the past doesn't mean that it's viable anymore. In the past, if a handful of ships got through, the defense fleet with the freighters could handle them ... these daif they get one ship through your lines/past your scouts/whatever, their entire fleet can be right on top of your freighters.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Fatbear
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#105 - 2013-04-16 12:37:44 UTC
Velicitia wrote:
Just because something was viable in the past doesn't mean that it's viable anymore. In the past, if a handful of ships got through, the defense fleet with the freighters could handle them ... these daif they get one ship through your lines/past your scouts/whatever, their entire fleet can be right on top of your freighters.


Well...yeah, but that's kinda what we're talking about?
Velicitia
XS Tech
#106 - 2013-04-16 13:11:57 UTC
Fatbear wrote:
Velicitia wrote:
Just because something was viable in the past doesn't mean that it's viable anymore. In the past, if a handful of ships got through, the defense fleet with the freighters could handle them ... these daif they get one ship through your lines/past your scouts/whatever, their entire fleet can be right on top of your freighters.


Well...yeah, but that's kinda what we're talking about?



so, OP wants to bring back a mechanic that worked in the past that won't cut it now (because "no one" had JD-capable ships, or titan bridges or anything like that) ... and this is "good"?

then again, it's early and maybe I'm missing your point...

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Fatbear
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#107 - 2013-04-16 13:56:28 UTC
The point you're validly making is it wouldn't work now because of cynos and hot dropping (at least, that's how I interpret your meaning when you say "one ship through your lines/past your scouts/whatever, their entire fleet can be right on top of your freighters").

Without jump mechanics, the limiting factor to the removal of jump mechanics isn't an issue....cyclical linking, see?
Asuka Solo
I N E X T R E M I S
Tactical Narcotics Team
#108 - 2013-04-17 05:41:16 UTC
This being a sandbox....


Let those who don't want to use jumpdrives... arrange their little 200 man multi-frighter convoys that last multiple hours for us all to enjoy.

Let those who want to use jumpdrives use them.

Eve is about Capital ships, WiS, Boobs, PI and Isk!

Mikhael Taron
Four Winds Industry
Roadhouse Regulars
#109 - 2013-04-25 07:22:47 UTC
Asuka Solo wrote:
This being a sandbox....


Let those who don't want to use jumpdrives... arrange their little 200 man multi-frighter convoys that last multiple hours for us all to enjoy.

Let those who want to use jumpdrives use them.


Back and glad to see the topic is still alive and kicking.

To The Smug who doubts sneeringly I have ever left hisec: FAIL. I spent plenty of time in Fountain with a nulsec alliance.

All those brags about understanding game mechanics are choice entertainment; thanks to all who thought it made them look guru.

As for the above comment: This being a sandbox.... would mean removal of all the pirates and their bounties, as those NPCs aren't players. Then you would have no need to come to empire space; you would lack the isk to buy anything. Or is the sandbox a selective thing?

You can fool some of the people all of the time. You can fool all of the people some of the time. You can make a fool out of yourself anytime.