These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Belligerent Undesirables Narrative Analysis

Author
Josef Djugashvilis
#21 - 2013-04-24 17:08:25 UTC
Psychotic Monk wrote:
So that I view it as academic-style proves it's tosh because... I don't know what an academic styled paper looks like? Or I live in some sort of upsideown world where anything I view to be true automatically isn't?

The alternative is that you've simply chosen that I am the enemy and therefore you must oppose everything I say, even if I were to tell you the sky is blue. That seems a bit counter to actual argument and discussion and if it's the case I think we can safely dismiss you entirely as a logical entity.

Thoughts on this?

More than you, by the looks of itSmile

This is not a signature.

Nathalie LaPorte
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#22 - 2013-04-24 18:34:08 UTC
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
Psychotic Monk wrote:
So that I view it as academic-style proves it's tosh because... I don't know what an academic styled paper looks like? Or I live in some sort of upsideown world where anything I view to be true automatically isn't?

The alternative is that you've simply chosen that I am the enemy and therefore you must oppose everything I say, even if I were to tell you the sky is blue. That seems a bit counter to actual argument and discussion and if it's the case I think we can safely dismiss you entirely as a logical entity.

Thoughts on this?

Judging by the looks of your avatars, I'd say Monk's looks more thoughtful, actually.
Josef Djugashvilis
#23 - 2013-04-24 18:36:57 UTC
Nathalie LaPorte wrote:
Josef Djugashvilis wrote:
Psychotic Monk wrote:

Thoughts on this?

Judging by the looks of your avatars, I'd say Monk's looks more thoughtful, actually.

You got me there. I'm out of this thread now.

This is not a signature.

Shao Huang
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2013-04-24 18:51:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Shao Huang
Quote:
Stopped reading there.

Yes, my intent in the statement was that people could self select early on.I am glad to hear this was successful in your case. What is more accurate is that the work does not use quantitative data such as occurrences of words within the publicly available documents, or numerical ISK values associated with the activity, etc. The document does not attempt to generate any sort of statistical significance and for people who prioritize that as a way of knowing it might not be satisfying. For someone interested, this work could be done and would be fascinating to see, particularly with regard to comparing various narratives and understanding the quantifiable effects if those, unintended consequences and such. I was not asked to do that by my client. The work does treat situated ideographic content as a type of data. It is not framed in an objectivist view of reality as being exhaustive. For people who admit to other methods of inquiry the work might occur differently.

The EVE community it seems to me is very skilled and fervent around a certain understanding of data, analytics and infomatics/infographics, about which I also have some passion. The systems thinking frame lightly touched on in the article includes these and takes a whack at expanding beyond to tangentially consider a different dimension of meta-gaming, narrative, emergence and generative game play.

Quote:
Josef probably believes that you are in fact one of the many alts of James315. As your writings, although very different in tone and style, are both very good.

I am not one of the many alts of anyone, though I have now created and am messing about with some alts, as I often do. In all honesty it is to early for me to say who is my main. It is often the case that my first character in a game is exploratory and that I implement what I am able to learn in subsequent iterations.

My client was specifically interested in how this narrative would look 'through my conceptual framework' based on my consideration of the NO. Thank you for the kind comments.

Quote:
James aged 13 and a bit, would never call a 'spade a spade' when he could spend several pages calling it a 'sharp edged digging implement which works by the application of force and leverage'

Your article is written in a similar manner.

I disagree with your assessment of the NO endeavor and rhetoric. I feel that they would contend that they are always in the process of revealing spades as such. Your reflection about my own process is completely accurate as the nature of 'spades' is rarely self evident, binary or one dimensional to me. Sadly, my writing reflects this neurotic character flaw. In fact, it would be very helpful to me if you could describe something of your own process regarding spade identification.

Quote:
Look, it sounds like an experiment in mind control to me.

Your stating the case like its the only position that exists. Just because your perception of the material is one way doesnt make it the factual, truthfull, only reality.

Reality is: you are what you hate the most; in this case it seems you are writing about yourself, in my humble opinion.

I feel it is often the case that we are writing about ourselves, including your statements above. Another way of saying this is that our interpretation of really anything is based on the mental models we hold and how they create an interpretive lens that informs the re-presentational activity in which we are constantly and exhaustively involved. The active question for me is about the extent to which that can be made transparent and interacted with consciously, while still remaining functional. I have done my best to be quite (boringly) transparent about the frameworks employed. That is to say, I am not unaware of the dilemma you are suggesting and have done my best to make that transparent and take responsibility in the matter.

In my own experience I am not stating a case. I am offering an analytic interpretation which posits neither objective truth value nor any sort of external authorization, as was requested by my client. I had hoped to make something about this evident by introducing the context of critical thinking and systems thinking as approaches, since they tend to share these deconstructive qualities.

Your statement about 'mind control' seems highly relevant to me. To what extent does any scam involve this? What about actions such as Burn Jita? From a systems thinking perspective the most 'leveraged' interventions one can make in a system are at the level of mental models and paradigms. How does that relate to the question of meta gaming and emergence? This is relevant for me to the question I have posed framing the inquiry, namely: 'what does it mean to be free in the EVErse?' Can you see how the question of 'mind control' might be relevant to such a question?

Though I would be more interested in you unfolding something about what is suggested about the narrative that you see as me having a position, I would be equally interested to read what you feel I have said about myself, recognizing of course that in the process you are subject to the same assertion you are making about writing. I find this to be an interesting collection of assertions about the nature of 'self' and writing.

Thank you for the considered and thoughtful responses and having labored through the document itself, for better or worse.

I will say that for the most part people do not seem to have engaged either the framework employed nor the particulars of what is offered beyond qualitative gestures of assessment... Mostly sort of a agree/disagree disposition without much transparency about the reasoning or even much about with what you might imagine yourself to be agreeing or disagreeing about. I don't need anything else to happen. Just offering a perspective.

Private sig. Do not read.

War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#25 - 2013-04-24 19:54:36 UTC
Shao Huang wrote:
I received a contract to do a narrative analysis on Belligerent Undesirables. This post and the link constitute fulfillment of my part of the contract and are in accord with the advance I received. A pleasure doing business with you.

The analysis does not involve data analysis or statistical conclusions, but is ideographic in nature. Basic details of the methodology and framework are introduced and described. It is meant to be reflective rather than prescriptive in nature. (I hope I get the link thing right.)

The text of the work is published here:
http://eve-files.com/dl/262023

Warning: Lots of words are in that link.

I guarantee 98.6% of all readers will get far more value from actually reading 9 pages of belligerentundesirables.com than this document.

For the other 1.4%, I'd still go read the blog instead. I didn't find anything revealed in the reflective analysis that wasn't self-evident.

But kudos on getting someone to pay you for it :)

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Shao Huang
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2013-04-24 20:05:30 UTC
Quote:
Because any researcher or academic understands what is needed to call a paper 'academic' and for it to whole its own weight in credibility by being based on facts, not hearsay.

I am not denouncing his 'work' because of the topic, but because he is basing it all on ideograms and calling it a research paper. There are no numbers, no facts, no interviews, no sources, no data neither qualitative nor quantitative. It is nothing.

Does the OP even have the credentials for this? What is your background? Degree? Past works?

But to answer, PM, it's tosh because of the above grievances I mentioned. I believe the poster you refer to is saying that you liking the paper proving it's tosh is because he does not see you as credible. A biased opinion also not based on facts (for all we know you have a PhD in statistical analysis).

Hi- thank you for this question. Interestingly I do not wish to assert any sort of authorization about what is written, and the terms of my contract do not require this. I also cannot exactly make the assertions you have about 'any researcher or academic' since I have not actually looked into the matter sufficiently. The last post in which I was asked for citations did not go too well. I provided a fairly small list of such. It seems to offend people for some reason.

Your position, as I understand it, is that only statistical research constitutes research. Because I am very aware of the prevalence of this position, particularly in Anglo-American culture, I have tried to be explicit about the methodologies used and the implications of those, without writing a treatise on the methodologies themselves. I was contracted to look at the narrative. No call for citations and such was asked. It is analytic from within the frameworks suggested. I would categorize your view as objectivist, in so far as I can make it out. There are two primary forms of this: rationalism and empiricism. I would guess you are methodologically speaking, an empiricist, but its just a guess. Both methods are also often reductionist. I cannot tell whether or not that is the case for you from what you have offered.

As a side note, surprising as it may seem, I am in fact published in a variety of academic journals on topics that have to do with the very question you are raising. I have also published on the nature and implications of the objectivist endeavor and the planetary consequences of that as expressed in the late stage industrial era. Really what is more interesting is that I actively practice in the world, in large scale systems in ways that produce quantifiable change and such things as innovation, etc. Amusingly, I am also published on the assertion of (false) authority that arises from our often artificial credentialing and publishing practices and the consequences of that.

It would be interesting to note whether not such assertions on my part alter the context in which you read the offering, such as it is. They happen to be true, but what difference would that really make, in your opinion. From my view it reduces it to mere argument from authority. The next step in that progression would be to digress to ad hominem attacks, as we have already seen in this thread.

Please consider the context of inquiry in which the work is offered, namely: 'what does it mean to be 'free' in the EVErse?' Though statistical significance might inform one's understanding of such a question, it is likely insufficient for suggesting answers to the question (of which there are probably many). A fully reductionist view of the question might express it as a number. e.g. If I had xISK I would then be free. Do you hold this to be the case? It seems to me some people hold a model that resembles this. For me in the best case, ISK would be a remote proxy value indicating the capacity to generate or obtain the ISK as an indicator of some model of freedom. The statistically significant indicator the becomes a reflective surface that might inform practice. With respect to something like freedom (or narrative) is the measure a thing in itself? Is it possible for someone with no ISK to be free is such a model?

I will say, that from a systems thinking point of view, numbers are pretty much the lowest leveraged interventions, though still quite important. Should you wish I can write something about how and why this is considered to be the case and how that might apply to interventions in the sense of meta gaming and emergent play. My fees it turns out, are quite modest.

I would ask you to say a bit more about 'facts' and credibility. It is often confusing for me, I admit, and you seem to have some real clarity in the matter. Are you familiar with 'confirmation bias'?

Personally I don't find the argument about 'toshness' to be particularly fruitful. More of a distraction really. And my client is apparently very satisfied with the work making it a successful contract in that way. Anything else, positive or negative is icing... I do like icing.

As I point out in the narrative analysis I feel that much emergent play is based on the interaction with and revelation of 'mental models'. I also feel that the mental models we hold as we enter and engage together in 'gaming' influence the nature and quality of such emergent play and even our perception of what is emergent or not. Therefore asking about these models is also asking about the nature of emergent play. The particular enacted narratives are a means of exploring and revealing that.

If it is not yet clear I am asking: 'what does it mean to be free in the EVErse?' My working assumption is that everyone I encounter has an actively working model of this for themselves, consciously or otherwise. The question and approach to the question may be evocative for some and for others, not so much.

Mayhaw Morgan
State War Academy
Caldari State
#27 - 2013-04-24 20:07:24 UTC
The verbosity and esoteric wording and phrasing are a little frustrating, but the tl;dr of the piece seems to be this:

The Belligerent Undesirables challenge the underlying notions that other EVE players have about virtual ownership.

Most of the Belligerent Undesirables aren't concerned with the ultimate result of that confrontation, but only with the novelty of the action/reaction itself.

When players that believe those notions about virtual ownership face the challenge issued by the Belligerent Undesirables, they do one of three things: defend the notion, ignore the challenge, or change.

Players that do not hold the notions about virtual ownership that the Belligerent Undesirables are challenging do not face any sort of crisis and are excluded from the analysis that leads to this narrative.

Without players who believe in the notions of ownership that are being subjected to challenge, the Belligerent Undesirables would have no identity/purpose, and would cease to exist (as a group entity).

Many Belligerent Undesirables are not aware that this over-arching narrative exists, of which they are a part, and engage in Belligerent Undesirable activities for the same reason that other players engage in . . . mining.
Shao Huang
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2013-04-24 20:22:49 UTC
Mayhaw Morgan wrote:
The verbosity and esoteric wording and phrasing are a little frustrating, but the tl;dr of the piece seems to be this:

The Belligerent Undesirables challenge the underlying notions that other EVE players have about virtual ownership.

Most of the Belligerent Undesirables aren't concerned with the ultimate result of that confrontation, but only with the novelty of the action/reaction itself.

When players that believe those notions about virtual ownership face the challenge issued by the Belligerent Undesirables, they do one of three things: defend the notion, ignore the challenge, or change.

Players that do not hold the notions about virtual ownership that the Belligerent Undesirables are challenging do not face any sort of crisis and are excluded from the analysis that leads to this narrative.

Without players who believe in the notions of ownership that are being subjected to challenge, the Belligerent Undesirables would have no identity/purpose, and would cease to exist (as a group entity).

Many Belligerent Undesirables are not aware that this over-arching narrative exists, of which they are a part, and engage in Belligerent Undesirable activities for the same reason that other players engage in . . . mining.

This is very elegant. Thank you.

I would only add that the methodologies superficially offered might be of some use outside of the context of the specific narrative and that there are some basic concepts embedded there.

Also, because this is so elegant I wonder, in relationship to the context for the inquiry and the relationship that this might have to the generation and practice of such emergent narrative, do you have insights? Specifically: 'what does it mean to be free in the EVErse?' How does that influence emergent game play and the generation of such narratives, if at all? Do you have any insight into this? I feel you might.

Anslo
Scope Works
#29 - 2013-04-24 21:07:24 UTC
Shao Huang wrote:
Yes, my intent in the statement was that people could .......

So basically this was a paid piece for ***** and giggles and really isn't any kind of analysis at all, but a poorly constructed joke which attempts to be humorous in a way that would pass as 'intelligent' to those less informed. ....Right.

Quote:
Your position, as I understand it, is that only statistical research constitutes .......

Are you implying that because I stated your paper had no credibility due to lack of any kind of qualitative or quantitative research, which is the basis of any good research project, that I am attempting to make the matter at hand reduced in an over simplified manner as opposed to our subjective ramblings? Really? Also what does being white have anything to do with good research?

Quote:
As a side note, surprising as it may see......

So you're a sociologist/pseudo-scientist. It's all making sense now.

Quote:
Please consider the context of inquiry in which......

You're assuming isk is the only factor of freedom. What you are attempting to do is called sentiment analysis, something I've worked on for a few federal agencies that is no easy thing to manage and prove. It combines both qual and quant to provide a whole picture, such as what constitutes 'freedom.' A few years ago, attempting to scientifically answer this question was looked at as jesting or time wasting as it was more in the realm of philosophy, not science. But now a days, especially with the onset of social media and a faster, larger internet, sentiment analysis can actually answer such questions in a scientific way.

Quote:
I will say, that from a systems thinking point of view, numbers are pretty much the lowest leveraged interventions, though still quite important.

Stopped reading there. I had fun before but now you're not even trying to pass as an academic. 'Numbers aren't important, feeling is!'

Come on..

Also, the facts I ask for are not for confirmation bias, especially considering I did not even bother to read your paper as it is presented as a non-sourced, baseless work. I immediately questioned YOU. And I personally have no bias against you as I do not know you. I am basing my judgement at the moment on how you present yourself and argue. Not impressed so far.

However, your inference regarding emergent play through the interaction of different players with different mental models can hold some credibility as this is somewhat of a tenant in human interactions. Situations emerge through interaction of A and B, be it human and human, human and machine, so on and so forth. However, while I may agree with it, my training and own mental model of research and making statements demands proof and evidence.

A very simple methodology for this could be as easy as interviews from players who are categorized into specific and defined data sets. Each player who is interviewed is assigned a label in the data set if they meet oh....70%+ of the data set requirements, whatever that may be (i.e. there are 10 criteria to meet for Label X, and they meet 7 of the 10). From there, you could do 10 of each label, and then do an analysis from there with maybe three to four other individuals to prevent your own potential bias from being reflected in the paper.

Other methods could include sentiment analysis of forum posts and topics, blogs followed, conversations started, or simple observation of chats in different hubs (i.e. mission hubs, trade hubs, nul hubs, low hubs).

These are just SOME methods. There can be many many more which are far more refined. If you ever wish to begin such a venture to provide more credible information to support your paper, I'd be happy to help. Until then, this paper is hearsay, pseudoscience, and more of an Op Ed veiled as an 'academic paper.'

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Mayhaw Morgan
State War Academy
Caldari State
#30 - 2013-04-24 22:15:29 UTC
Shao Huang wrote:
what does it mean to be free in the EVErse?

Well, what does it mean to be free at all? The idea that things can even be free is itself a paradigm. A more refined version of that freedom-paradigm might not be that we can live free (i.e. outside of paradigms, as God), but might be instead that we can create and/or choose which paradigm to live in.

Whether they know it or not, the Belligerent Undesirables are attempting to free "carebears" from their paradigm, but we might also say that "carebears" are attempting to free Belligerent Undesirables from THEIR paradigm by resisting, or are at least attempting to remain free, themselves. Generalizing this dynamic, we have the very concept of a "game". Player 1 representing paradigm 1 versus player 2 representing paradigm 2.

The winning entity is the one that accomplishes some arbitrary goal, like blowing up an internet spaceship, but when that winning player or group abandons their paradigm to do that or has no narrative in mind to begin with, I would say that that is the beginning of emergent, "meta-gaming". Afterall, a game is not just WHAT you do, like taking a ball to a region of the field, but also the narrative that we impose on events that got the ball there.

In EVE, there are many ways to get the ball into the endzone and few rules imposed by the game itself. So, each player has more freedom to write/interpret the story as they see fit. One may see himself as a patient and cunning AWOXer, while someone else may see them as a vindictive, cheating son-of-a-*****. Understanding that players have these stories in their head about how the world works, finding blindspots that are caused by these stories, this is the realm of the metagamer.

The problem is that if we are too free-form in our interpretation of events, if we are too free, then what we are doing ceases to be a game at all, and just becomes the activity of choosing paradigms. If we are denying a miner the ability to mine in order to extort ISK from him, that is a game. If we are bumping a miner to challenge his belief that safety (high sec) equates to autonomy (the right to mine) or ownership (exclusive use of his mining barge and/or choice of how it is used), we could view that as a game with the goal of changing someone's world view or as a humane act of forced enlightenment or as an act of abuse. The latter two might not be games at all.

To be in a "game" is to be constrained to only certain actions, to not be free, so the question then has to be: Is EVE Online a game?
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#31 - 2013-04-24 22:26:16 UTC
Shao Huang wrote:
If it is not yet clear I am asking: 'what does it mean to be free in the EVErse?' My working assumption is that everyone I encounter has an actively working model of this for themselves, consciously or otherwise. The question and approach to the question may be evocative for some and for others, not so much.

This is more plain. I think your question cannot be answered from a gameplay perspective alone and that's why you are looking at these mental models. Maybe they have something in common? After all, we are all playing a video game, which already proves we are all seeking entertainment and that the actual neurological stimulant we are looking for (the rush of high-risk PVP, the relaxation of mining lasers) is different for many players. But that we are looking for a certain stimulus is a given. And I do believe these can be catalogued and ordered and interpreted, although that wouldn't make your work any more or less academic. As long as we can all agree it isn't exactly scientific and more or less socio-economic video game psychology. I have seen worse topics on GD.

What would be the more interesting question is how these mental models come into being, and why they are different for players, but do have stereotypical manifestations such as the griefer, the carebear, the white knight, and the mental models you propose in your analysis of Belligerent Undesirables. On the other hand I could say 'posting in a stealth recruitment thread' and conform to a mental model I'd wish another to percieve. I'd rather answer the question plainly.

One cannot be truly free in the EVErse. To play a video game is to purposefully subject oneself to the limitations and boundries set forth by the developers. This generates the flow of chemicals our brains percieve as pleasant. We are all slaves to our existance.
Shao Huang
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2013-04-24 22:49:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Shao Huang
Without requoting your post, I will say that I do live in the waters of your various assertions, proposed methodologies and such. One of the paradoxes involved in this is that from the objectivists point of view, questions about and alternatives to the objectivist endeavor are variously seen as a threat, challenge to authority/validity etc. and related to in a binary fashion. I train scientists, academics, officers of the kind of agency to which you refer in these very things. I used to do this sort of thing coupled with active practice in very large corporations. My focus has shifted in the past decade. It is difficult. Impossible in my experience through the written word alone as it is quite necessary to verify things for oneself, in an immediate and situated manner. This takes some years to accomplish for oneself and longer if considered at the level of institutions, national strategies and such, as I am sure you are aware.

In essence you are now indulging in the ad hominem at this point, not having read the article, but feeling quite free to comment on it. Or as you yourself have said, resorting to a kind of ad hominem (edit: by wishing to talk about me, in caps). I would rather not do that together. it almost never works out well. You have made some very generalized assertions and now feel attacked for some reason and wish to defend those. I am sorry I got your hackles up. Honestly I assumed you had considered the simple methodologies, in the context of the question posed and were responding in an informed way based on that. In fact, I am not laying some claim to credibility at all. Why would I want to do that? I am mot trying to persuade you or anyone else of anything. Why would I want to do that? I feel I try to make these things very clear as well. Apologies if I have somehow failed to do so.

The dilemma faced by most 'academics' today is the need to 'generalize' their findings, usually according to some socialized and inherited model of unexamined authorization. All of this is embedded in their RPT process as you probably know. This has a certain utility, but personally I do not suffer from the need for this. Rather, I would be more interested to know how you would approach the inquiry itself, which thus far you have only tangentially engaged. I do understand the methodologies you have mentioned and am familiar with some of that work, perhaps even your own. What conclusions have you drawn? How is it for you? I really have very little interest in reducing such an inquiry to a right/wrong disputation, as I don't find that particularly useful for actually engaging in inquiry. It is a hard question and you have talked around it a bit. My paper, such as it is, explores it somewhat directly. I am in interested in the question: 'what does it mean to be free in the EVErse'? Perhaps this is evocative for you or maybe not. Maybe you have something to offer on the matter, maybe not. The second level of inquiry is how such a question informs the actual narrative generation and such. I believe models are present, though perhaps not articulated. I have thus far tried to articulate two.

I did not say numbers are not important. I said, numbers are considered the lowest form of systemic intervention, which is true. I could lay out models of this, but truly, I am not attacking numbers, you or some particular methodology you might prioritize. Again, why would I, or anyone, really have any interest in that? I also suggested that understanding the nature of systemic interventions might be of relevance to understanding something about meta gaming for some people. For you maybe, maybe not.

Also, to be very, very clear I did not assert the paper was scientific in any way. You assumed something about that and then very amusingly criticized it for not adhering to your assumptions. You have chosen to 'discredit' something according to your own unilateral system of accreditation, as is your right. Just please be clear about what you are doing. In fact, I would venture to say that a more careful and less reactionary reading of the paper and what I have written here might be seen to contain a certain deconstruction of the scientific endeavor and a contextualization of what was offered. Hard to see, I know. Such a deconstruction does not imply an attempt to negate or refute. It is not a debate. It is not binary by nature. Such efforts are often perceived in those ways when inhabiting certain sorts of models and assumptions, particularly in the absence of a an awareness of that act. The paper is in great part about that specific phenomena, a way of being able to see it happening and the consequences.

I have not said anything about feelings at all. And your attributions or conclusions about me, meant to strengthen your own, already preformed opinions and models have little resemblance to me as far as I can tell. This often happens in such conversations as people struggle to find some ground for communication. I typically relate to at this assertion and negation of other as a self defining act. Also dealt with in the paper. I apologize if I have contributed to that dynamic. It was not my intent. I forget how truly offensive this can be for some people. Again, something dealt with in the paper, however poorly.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to frame such an energetic and sincere response.

Shao Huang
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2013-04-24 23:07:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Shao Huang
Inxentas Ultramar wrote:
Shao Huang wrote:

This is more plain. I think your question cannot be answered from a gameplay perspective alone and that's why you are looking at these mental models. Maybe they have something in common? After all, we are all playing a video game, which already proves we are all seeking entertainment and that the actual neurological stimulant we are looking for (the rush of high-risk PVP, the relaxation of mining lasers) is different for many players. But that we are looking for a certain stimulus is a given. And I do believe these can be catalogued and ordered and interpreted, although that wouldn't make your work any more or less academic. As long as we can all agree it isn't exactly scientific and more or less socio-economic video game psychology. I have seen worse topics on GD.

What would be the more interesting question is how these mental models come into being, and why they are different for players, but do have stereotypical manifestations such as the griefer, the carebear, the white knight, and the mental models you propose in your analysis of Belligerent Undesirables. On the other hand I could say 'posting in a stealth recruitment thread' and conform to a mental model I'd wish another to percieve. I'd rather answer the question plainly.

One cannot be truly free in the EVErse. To play a video game is to purposefully subject oneself to the limitations and boundries set forth by the developers. This generates the flow of chemicals our brains percieve as pleasant. We are all slaves to our existance.

Thank you so much for engaging the question! I am sorry that I was unable to make it clearer sooner.

I will say that I have never claimed that the offering was academic in any way. Other people have made that attribution and decided to debate it, sometimes without saying what that means for them, sometimes unfolding complete models and assertions about it.

This question of how mental models arise and then become a functional reality is exactly one of the key parts, it seems to me. Often the first thing is to even see them. This often first occurs as some place where we become mortally offended, as the paper details out. If you are Ptolemy you do not have the experience of having a mental model that you are at the center of the universe. You are at the center of the universe. In the presence of contraindications (data from Egypt that Mercury is in retrograde) you either delete that data or complexify your model to account for it. The analogous version for the player is treated in the paper as rage, apathy, and crisis. Crisis can present the opportunity to see something about the mental model and the active (treated as passive) mapping process involved. I am suggesting that 'emergent play' and meta gaming in some forms, do exactly this.

So, you are suggesting that in the presence of constraints, say such as presented by any conditional reality, it is impossible to be free. I am not certain of this. Do you feel any impulse toward what you imagine to be freedom in this case? Is it possible to realize? If not, what do you feel are the implications of what then is an inevitable enslavement? You are suggesting a kind of enslavement at the bio-physical/neurological level. Are there cognates for you within the context of the game itself? Is some form of conditional freedom or substitutes for that possible in your view.

I am also using the frame of mental models, structure, patterns, events (data) because the game can be understood as a system and this is a relatively easy way of getting at systems and beginning to understand that if we intervene in one place one sort of thing is likely to happen. If we intervene there, another.

Thank you again for engaging the question. I am grateful.

Bishop Xsi
Hotel Culiacan
#34 - 2013-04-24 23:20:53 UTC
Excellent analysis, Xenuria.
Shao Huang
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2013-04-24 23:51:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Shao Huang
Mayhaw Morgan wrote:
Shao Huang wrote:
what does it mean to be free in the EVErse?

Well, what does it mean to be free at all? The idea that things can even be free is itself a paradigm. A more refined version of that freedom-paradigm might not be that we can live free (i.e. outside of paradigms, as God), but might be instead that we can create and/or choose which paradigm to live in.

Whether they know it or not, the Belligerent Undesirables are attempting to free "carebears" from their paradigm, but we might also say that "carebears" are attempting to free Belligerent Undesirables from THEIR paradigm by resisting, or are at least attempting to remain free, themselves. Generalizing this dynamic, we have the very concept of a "game". Player 1 representing paradigm 1 versus player 2 representing paradigm 2.

The winning entity is the one that accomplishes some arbitrary goal, like blowing up an internet spaceship, but when that winning player or group abandons their paradigm to do that or has no narrative in mind to begin with, I would say that that is the beginning of emergent, "meta-gaming". Afterall, a game is not just WHAT you do, like taking a ball to a region of the field, but also the narrative that we impose on events that got the ball there.

In EVE, there are many ways to get the ball into the endzone and few rules imposed by the game itself. So, each player has more freedom to write/interpret the story as they see fit. One may see himself as a patient and cunning AWOXer, while someone else may see them as a vindictive, cheating son-of-a-*****. Understanding that players have these stories in their head about how the world works, finding blindspots that are caused by these stories, this is the realm of the metagamer.

The problem is that if we are too free-form in our interpretation of events, if we are too free, then what we are doing ceases to be a game at all, and just becomes the activity of choosing paradigms. If we are denying a miner the ability to mine in order to extort ISK from him, that is a game. If we are bumping a miner to challenge his belief that safety (high sec) equates to autonomy (the right to mine) or ownership (exclusive use of his mining barge and/or choice of how it is used), we could view that as a game with the goal of changing someone's world view or as a humane act of forced enlightenment or as an act of abuse. The latter two might not be games at all.

To be in a "game" is to be constrained to only certain actions, to not be free, so the question then has to be: Is EVE Online a game?

Thank you. This seems incredibly helpful to me. I am still thinking about it and have had to read it a few times.

Yes, of course not so secretly I am asking that question of what it means to be free at all. The chosen and voluntarily agreed to boundaries of a finite game make something about this more accessible it seems to me, as your post suggests. Trying to identify something about this in terms of the game and specifically with regards to emergent play and narrative that is explicitly about this is very useful and even enjoyable for me in life and ways that translate to the game.

In that regard I very much like the recognition that the game arises (spontaneously even) in the presence of two or more such asserted paradigms. EVE is interesting because the conditions for 'proving/testing' a paradigm are to some extent malleable and in the players hands. I think some aspects of the game are mo appealing to some people, sometimes because aspects of the 'end zone structure' and such are 'provided'. FW might be an example of this. Of course EVE is such that all sorts of play, narrative and strategy are possible in such cases. There are narratives asserting both something about the paradigm and the conditions for success as well. This creates a sort of 'zen trap' for the people encountering the paradigm.

Initially what it raises for me is the functional question of how we recognize and draw boundaries. Coupled with this, as I feel you indicate, is the question of how we deal with structure and the behavioral influence of that. I very much like the simple definition of meta gaming as having to do with the identification of blind spots arising from these activities. I think we also see many cases where the apparent absence of expected structure creates a kind of crisis, even causing players to quit playing.

I will re-read your post again since I feel it contains a very straightforward sort of formulation with regard to the question. About the last paragraph. Personally I feel that the game-ness of it has to do with being fully aware of the chosen paradigm and then having actively forgotten it in order to play the game. When you become 'vulnerable' to meta game strategies, it seems to me, is when you altogether forget that you enacted that whole thing and the boundaries of the system defined by your chosen paradigm begin to occur as fixed and self evident. Part of the game is the discovery and repetition of that process, it seems to me.

I wonder.... Your post is analytic directionally. If you were to reverse the process and create it as a guide, what might it look like? That is, given this theory of gaming and meta-gaming, such and such a process is implied. Do this first, according to this model, this second. Assume this disposition of your own role in the matter. I think you have said all these things already. Just wondering, if you happen to have thoughts on that.

Thank you again.

Edit: of course I am still chewing on your last question, and the process by which you got there. Pretty cool. I have also seen some things about why the question I am asking and these examples of narrative I have been exploring are so evocative for me. Maybe more on that later if it fits.

Shao Huang
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2013-04-25 00:37:13 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
Shao Huang wrote:
I received a contract to do a narrative analysis on Belligerent Undesirables. This post and the link constitute fulfillment of my part of the contract and are in accord with the advance I received. A pleasure doing business with you.

The analysis does not involve data analysis or statistical conclusions, but is ideographic in nature. Basic details of the methodology and framework are introduced and described. It is meant to be reflective rather than prescriptive in nature. (I hope I get the link thing right.)

The text of the work is published here:
http://eve-files.com/dl/262023

Warning: Lots of words are in that link.

I guarantee 98.6% of all readers will get far more value from actually reading 9 pages of belligerentundesirables.com than this document.

For the other 1.4%, I'd still go read the blog instead. I didn't find anything revealed in the reflective analysis that wasn't self-evident.

But kudos on getting someone to pay you for it :)

I might also recommend this site: http://belligerentundesirables.wordpress.com/

There is a reddit AMA that is interesting as well, for those interested. There are also a bunch of you tube videos with live dialogue. I did not find anything on the Goon SA site, but hard to say. Of course the above sites also reveal a bunch of other names which can be searched here and on EVE live, and subsequently followed elsewhere on the net all of which might be of interest to anyone so moved.

Georgina Parmala
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#37 - 2013-04-25 00:54:33 UTC
Shao Huang wrote:
'what does it mean to be free in the EVErse?'

If I truly wanted something bad enough, wouldn't be a gorram thing in the 'verse that could stop me.

Science and Trade Institute [STI] is an NPC entity and as such my views do not represent those of the entity or any of its members

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=276984&p=38

Arronicus
State War Academy
Caldari State
#38 - 2013-04-25 01:15:45 UTC
The picture of the iceberg was neat. I could not find any other pictures, so I will comment based on what I understand this document to be about:

GLOBAL WARMING IS BAD!!!
Asuri Kinnes
Perkone
Caldari State
#39 - 2013-04-25 02:23:28 UTC
Must be spring, the manure spreaders are going full bore!

Lol

Bob is the god of Wormholes.

That's all you need to know.

Ludi Burek
Exit-Strategy
Unchained Alliance
#40 - 2013-04-25 03:06:30 UTC
Almost 5,000 words... That's like a major tertiary research project. Lol

I would like to read but fear wasting my time on some internet person's mere opinion about something... Sad
Previous page123Next page