These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Computer Still Used After 65 Years !

Author
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#1 - 2013-04-22 22:56:36 UTC
Alerted by Tweet from William Gibson: http://kottke.org/13/04/dont-mess-with-texass-old-computers

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Alara IonStorm
#2 - 2013-04-22 23:32:58 UTC
Everything is bigger in Texas.
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#3 - 2013-04-23 00:17:39 UTC
They just dont make them like they used to.

::sigh::

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#4 - 2013-04-23 00:42:42 UTC
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:

That is too true. Yesterday my dad was showing me a 1965 mixer that they've had in storage for years. Not only does it mix, but it also comes with a blender attachment and a meat grinder. A freaking meat grinder. When's the last time anyone ever had something like that as part of their standard kitchenware? He did a online search and as far as he can see he is the only person who has one of these mixers complete with all attachments, and he even has the instructions. And the best part is that it still works.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Daimon Kaiera
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#5 - 2013-04-23 06:13:29 UTC

The Amiga 500. Look it up.

.... . .-.. .--. / .. / .... .- ...- . / ..-. .- .-.. .-.. . -. / .- -. -.. / .. / -.-. .- -. -. --- - / --. . - / ..- .--. / ... - --- .--. - .... .. ... / ... .. --. -. .- - ..- .-. . / .. -.. . .- / .. ... / -. --- - / ... - --- .-.. . -. / ... - --- .--.

pussnheels
Viziam
#6 - 2013-04-23 09:20:11 UTC  |  Edited by: pussnheels
i remember reading something about the first computers that some of the scientist said that there will be only a few hundred of them in the future only for some selected universities

I also remember that todays cellphones have computing power than what available in the saturn rockets that brought us to the moon

time flies

I do not agree with what you are saying , but i will defend to the death your right to say it...... Voltaire

Alara IonStorm
#7 - 2013-04-23 10:42:04 UTC
pussnheels wrote:

I also remember that todays cellphones have computing power than what available in the saturn rockets that brought us to the moon

Now only if today's cell phones had the reception of the Saturn Rocket, NASA never dropped calls.
Daimon Kaiera
Caldari State
#8 - 2013-04-23 11:38:52 UTC
Alara IonStorm wrote:
pussnheels wrote:

Now only if today's cell phones had the reception of the Saturn Rocket, NASA never dropped calls.

There's not much to disrupt your signal

IN SPACE

.... . .-.. .--. / .. / .... .- ...- . / ..-. .- .-.. .-.. . -. / .- -. -.. / .. / -.-. .- -. -. --- - / --. . - / ..- .--. / ... - --- .--. - .... .. ... / ... .. --. -. .- - ..- .-. . / .. -.. . .- / .. ... / -. --- - / ... - --- .-.. . -. / ... - --- .--.

Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#9 - 2013-04-23 14:35:32 UTC
Daimon Kaiera wrote:
Alara IonStorm wrote:
pussnheels wrote:

IN SPACE

Solar Flare ..... look it up.
Daimon Kaiera
Caldari State
#10 - 2013-04-23 19:13:44 UTC
Kitty Bear wrote:
Daimon Kaiera wrote:
Alara IonStorm wrote:
pussnheels wrote:

IN SPACE

Solar Flare ..... look it up.

Not much.

As compared to on the surface of Earth.

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#11 - 2013-04-23 19:56:01 UTC  |  Edited by: silens vesica
Micheal Dietrich wrote:

That is too true. Yesterday my dad was showing me a 1965 mixer that they've had in storage for years. Not only does it mix, but it also comes with a blender attachment and a meat grinder. A freaking meat grinder. When's the last time anyone ever had something like that as part of their standard kitchenware?
His google-fu is weak:
http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/page/home

Readily available all over the place.

Edit:
Meat grinder, grain mill, slicer, and can-opener attachments - just to start.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#12 - 2013-04-23 21:08:34 UTC
Daimon Kaiera wrote:

IN SPACE

The back side of the Moon (or any other planet).

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Sodium Canine
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2013-04-23 22:29:47 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
Micheal Dietrich wrote:

That is too true. Yesterday my dad was showing me a 1965 mixer that they've had in storage for years. Not only does it mix, but it also comes with a blender attachment and a meat grinder. A freaking meat grinder. When's the last time anyone ever had something like that as part of their standard kitchenware?
His google-fu is weak:

Edit:

Putting mine to work this weekend. Hungarian paprika sausage, and maybe some kielbasa.

My dad was a sailor on the ocean. He knows all about the ocean. What he doesn't know is why he quit being a sailor and married my mom.

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#14 - 2013-04-23 22:46:12 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
Micheal Dietrich wrote:

His google-fu is weak:

Edit:

Sweet. But his is vintage which was kind of the point I was trying to make. It looks closer to this but with the old white instead of chrome/metal. Several people had the same model but almost all of them have something missing.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Marie Hartinez
Aries Munitions and Defense
#15 - 2013-04-24 17:41:07 UTC
Micheal Dietrich wrote:

That is too true. Yesterday my dad was showing me a 1965 mixer that they've had in storage for years. Not only does it mix, but it also comes with a blender attachment and a meat grinder. A freaking meat grinder. When's the last time anyone ever had something like that as part of their standard kitchenware? He did a online search and as far as he can see he is the only person who has one of these mixers complete with all attachments, and he even has the instructions. And the best part is that it still works.

While I don't have a meat grinder for my Kitchenaid stand mixer, I so could use one. Mine does have a beater, wisk, and bread attachments.

Our stand mixer is no where near as old as your dad's, but we've had it about 6 years and it was a factory refurb. Never had a problem with it. Unless I forget to plug it in. Its plug looks so similar to the coffee maker's plug.

Surrender is still your slightly less painful option.

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#16 - 2013-04-24 17:49:56 UTC
Micheal Dietrich wrote:
silens vesica wrote:
Micheal Dietrich wrote:

His google-fu is weak:

Edit:

Sweet. But his is vintage which was kind of the point I was trying to make. It looks closer to this but with the old white instead of chrome/metal. Several people had the same model but almost all of them have something missing.
Ah.

My grandmother had one like that, with boxes of accessories, but it vanished when she passed on.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#17 - 2013-04-24 18:56:07 UTC
silens vesica wrote:

My grandmother had one like that, with boxes of accessories, but it vanished when she passed on.

She took it with her. Big smile

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#18 - 2013-04-24 19:07:44 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
silens vesica wrote:

She took it with her. Big smile

Wouldn't put it past her. Lol

Angelique Duchemin
Team Evil
#19 - 2013-04-25 04:53:14 UTC
Micheal Dietrich wrote:

I have a 170 Euro blender I in the summer of 2011. and it has now started to need "wind up" time when you start it. I do not expect it to survive this summer.

The very sun of heaven seemed distorted when viewed through the polarising miasma welling out from this sea-soaked perversion, and twisted menace and suspense lurked leeringly in those crazily elusive angles of carven rock where a second glance shewed concavity after the first shewed convexity.

pussnheels
Viziam
#20 - 2013-04-25 05:47:56 UTC
well it is Texas one of the few places in the western world where schools do not teach kids about evolution and where anything that isn't made in the USA is treated as a commie terrorist jihad conspiracy

that piece of machine belongs in a museum , if there actual is one there that show something else than ...you know what

I do not agree with what you are saying , but i will defend to the death your right to say it...... Voltaire

12Next page