These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

10 Years, 10 Questions..... The road less travelled i n Eve

First post
Author
Rhivre
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#1 - 2013-04-23 10:02:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Rhivre
Good morning New Citizens and Bitter Vets alike!

As it is the tenth anniversary of this serious internet spaceships game, I have rounded up some people who have been in Eve since the beginning, and who have done things a bit differently, and poked them with questions until they replied til my Eve-mail.

The very kind participants were Chribba, Grendell, Entity, TornSoul, Caleb Ayrania and Saulvin.

The idea was to find out how they got into their different ways of playing eve, what has kept them going for 10 years, and what still keeps them logging in.

Their answers can be found here:

10 Years, 10 Questions Part One

10 Years, 10 Questions Part Two
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#2 - 2013-04-23 10:31:30 UTC
Not NCQA stuff. But still good read

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

addelee
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#3 - 2013-04-23 10:33:40 UTC
Nice article(s) and a decent read.
I've recently been thinking about how much Eve has changed from the start and this is quite well timed. Good work!
Chal0ner
Hideaway Hunters
The Hideaway.
#4 - 2013-04-23 10:52:40 UTC
Nice read - well done
And yeah, I have had my own idea of EVE ownage, but I don't have the time ....
Aelisha
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#5 - 2013-04-23 10:58:54 UTC
Very well put together and good representation picked to answer some tough questions.

Also mandatory shout out to Caleb, Saulvin and all my former NISYN and NERF friends.

CEO of the Achura-Waschi Exchange

Intaki Reborn

Independent Capsuleer

Caleb Ayrania
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#6 - 2013-04-23 11:06:07 UTC
J'Poll wrote:
Not NCQA stuff. But still good read

True its not exactly NCQA, but we dont actually have a dedicated metagame and related forum. Out of pod is not really covering it and out of game events is not really it either..

What we actually need is a dedicated forus for everything like this. Real-EVE

So many players are creating things like this that belong in a category of its own.. imho.

*Waves back and Aelisha

CCP Eterne
C C P
C C P Alliance
#7 - 2013-04-23 13:01:27 UTC
Moving from New Citizens Q&A to General Discussions.

EVE Online/DUST 514 Community Representative ※ EVE Illuminati ※ Fiction Adept

@CCP_Eterne ※ @EVE_LiveEvents

Rebecha Pucontis
Doomheim
#8 - 2013-04-23 15:40:41 UTC
Interesting read to hear some of the old vets perspective on Eve.

Earth and Beyond, was that the game were you created your spaceship at the character select screen? I think I remember playing that for a month or so and then it was discontinued. Was a really horrible game compared to Eve to be honest if I am remembering it correctly.
Rhivre
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#9 - 2013-04-23 15:57:29 UTC
Rebecha Pucontis wrote:

Earth and Beyond, was that the game were you created your spaceship at the character select screen? I think I remember playing that for a month or so and then it was discontinued. Was a really horrible game compared to Eve to be honest if I am remembering it correctly.

I am not sure, so I have poked Saulvin to let me know. :)
Shao Huang
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2013-04-23 18:26:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Shao Huang
This is an excellent piece of work it seems to me and a real contribution to the quality of the forum, not only in terms of content and writing/interview style, but also in the form you published. I have been contracted to publish something and really been struggling with how to do so without creating an offensive and inaccessible 'tl:dr wall of text'. Thank you for modeling this. It really gives me so much more choice as a reader about whether and how I relate to the publication. Now I just have to figure out how to navigate the dl-eve thing. :). Thank you for this.

Private sig. Do not read.

Saulvin
Merkabah Industries
Invisible Exchequer
#11 - 2013-04-23 18:37:19 UTC
Rebecha Pucontis wrote:
Interesting read to hear some of the old vets perspective on Eve.

Yes at character creation you were able to customize different aspects of the ship your class got assigned.
customize parts of the model like wings, engines, reactor, color, metallic glows, logo, name.

EnB targeted a different audience, aka it was not a Sandbox like EVE.
Taking I played from 2nd beta phase till sunset I can't confirm it was a horrible game.
Sure it was rather simple compared to today's MMO's but it had a great community.

regards

Saulvin

TornSoul
BIG
#12 - 2013-04-23 19:00:40 UTC
Would seem my answer to question 10 got cut of (or was it just so bad it had to be striken :-) )

Here it is anyhow

Quote:

10) Finally, what would your advice be to the rookie pilot who is interested in the long haul here, but is feeling overwhelmed, and very much in love with the game?
Dive in.
Learn as you go.
Don't try to learn everything - or you'll never get started.

Don't fall into the trap of min/maxing. EVE is simply too BIG for that.
Read up on a couple of things that might interest you at first - and then go do those.
As mentioned earlier, as you go along, you'll invariable be exposed to other things in EVE - Which may or may not take your fancy.
If they do, then read up on that (or simply try it out).

Your first year in EVE is where you can make all the mistakes in the world without too much of a worry. Just do it.
Coming up on a year in EVE, is where you should start making more focused plans - And you will be much better able to!, than on day one.
For some it's 6 months and not a year - or perhaps even a year and a half. Depending on play style.

Also - Read all the background stories of EVE (the chronicles) - It's awesome!!!
It *will* form your mind about what EVE is, and what you might want to do in EVE.
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#13 - 2013-04-23 19:07:07 UTC
Good write up!

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Rhivre
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#14 - 2013-04-23 19:17:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Rhivre
Eeeep....

Sorry TornSoul, I missed that part when transcribing Working on rectifying that at the moment!

Now updated Part One to have TornSouls missing reply
Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#15 - 2013-04-24 00:34:28 UTC
Great interviews. TY
Hamatitio
The Forsakened Few
We Forsakened Few
#16 - 2013-04-24 01:34:48 UTC
I'm sad you didn't invite me! For shame.
Rhivre
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#17 - 2013-04-24 07:31:48 UTC
Hamatitio wrote:
I'm sad you didn't invite me! For shame.

Now I am sad that I did not interview you!

I should have put out a call on the forums prior to the interview :(
Entity
X-Factor Industries
Synthetic Existence
#18 - 2013-04-24 14:53:04 UTC
Hm, caleb is on top of me. that's supposed to be other way around! Blink

╦......║...╔╗.║.║.╔╗.╦║.╔╗╔╦╗╔╗

║.╔╗╔╗╔╣.╔╗╠..╠ ╠╗╠╝.║╠ ╠╝║║║╚╗

╩═╚╝║.╚╝.╚╝║..╚╝║║╚╝.╩╚╝╚╝║.║╚╝

Got Item?

Grendell
Technologies Unlimited
#19 - 2013-04-25 00:20:27 UTC
Nicely done!Big smile

◄[♥]►3rd Party Service◄[♥]►

♥ Securing Peace of mind ♥

Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#20 - 2013-04-25 02:02:22 UTC
Really interesting read. Thanks OP! Big smile

Signatures should be used responsibly...

12Next page